Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Homemade motorcyle build  Cox_ba12

Homemade motorcyle build  Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by Boats13 Today at 12:43 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Onelife Today at 12:22 am

» Three -- sold out (making two more) Cox .010 Carburetors with wrench
by 1/2A Nut Today at 12:08 am

» Happy Anzac Day!
by Boats13 Yesterday at 11:03 pm

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by MauricioB Yesterday at 4:08 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:17 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Yesterday at 6:20 am

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by Levent Suberk Yesterday at 12:23 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:25 pm

» Micro Draco Gets to Fly on a Beautiful Morning.
by rdw777 Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:15 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:06 pm

» Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs
by GallopingGhostler Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:12 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Homemade motorcyle build  Empty
Live on Patrol

Homemade motorcyle build

Go down

Homemade motorcyle build  Empty Homemade motorcyle build

Post  mitchg95 Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:14 am

Over the last month or so, I have been designing a motorcyle and engine to go along with it. I'm at a delema right now, do I use 48cc cylinders or 66cc cylinders. It is going to have a 55" wheel base, 29" tires, front and year disk brakes and have a flat six cylinder two cycle engine.
Here is some of what I have so far into the design
Here is the actual bike that I started designing yesterday
Homemade motorcyle build  Imagejpg1_zps0182a528
Here is the front bearing housing
Homemade motorcyle build  Imagejpg1_zpsbff606f1
Here is one of the six 48cc cylinders I'm planning using
Homemade motorcyle build  Imagejpg2_zps5b86e8f6
Ive found an old engine design from the 1950's called an elf six, I am using this engine for most of the parts that I am designing for the engine
Homemade motorcyle build  Imagejpg1_zps18ccac74
More to come if any one is interested. I'm not at the point yet where I can apart manufacturing parts, but I am almost there. I'll probably make the frame first
Mitch
mitchg95
mitchg95
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Homemade motorcyle build  Empty Re: Homemade motorcyle build

Post  ian1954 Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:00 am

A flat 6 motorbike looks appealing.

Forgive me though but you may be approaching this the wrong way.

I would have the engine, gearbox and drive train mapped out before I sorted out a frame.

I used to build Bitsas , Tribsas and Norbitsas ........ Motorcycles concocted from BSA, Norton and Triumph parts acquired from scrap yards. That wasn't easy even though engines, gearboxes and frames were almost (but not quite) interchangeable.

I hope you succeed - I have a soft spot for flat twins, fours and sixes.
ian1954
ian1954
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:31 am

Hey Mitch, I think it's really great that you're applying your education like this. You will be way ahead of many of the others when it's time to market your skills.

That being said, I have to agree with Ian. A carriage, be it a plane or a bike is easier to fit around a drive train than the other way around.

Good luck.
Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Davenz13 Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:15 pm

Hi Mitch
I was born into a family that revolved around motorcycles, from father to three sons of which I am the youngest. We have all at some stage ridden, built, raced, destroyed engines or bikes (I file these under learning curves) and my own son raced Junior speedway for a while. I agree wholeheartedly with Ian and Rusty in concentrating on the power plant first. Your chassis design will depend basically on three main things, your engines weight, design and power output so you will need some idea of these first. If you intend building a multi cylinder engine like you have pictured, i.e. flat six, it’s a good idea to build a flat twin BMW style (or single) first for testing and add the other cylinders later. Bear in mind that engines of this configuration stick out the side and thought has to be given to ground clearance when cornering. Raising the engine helps somewhat but this raises the centre of gravity which affects handling. While you are building your engine there are some very good books on chassis design you can read along the way. Check out the second hand bookshops and ebay or the library if you have one close by. Once you have your engine ready for road testing go in to a motorcycle wrecker. You should be able to find a complete rolling chassis, minus engine, suitable for yours. Much cheaper option than building your own at this stage. This test bed plus what you read and learn along the way fuelled by your imagination will guide you in building your own. You will encounter seemingly endless hurdles, every problem solved leads to another problem but that is the whole point of the exercise and when you wheel it out of the workshop, start it and head off on your first test ride the pleasure is indescribable I commend you and wish you well. Dave
Davenz13
Davenz13
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:00 pm

With flat opposed, maybe take a note from BMW and go shaft drive...your call all the way though.  Seems like it will be kinda LONG for transverse mounting.  I am not gaining appreciation for the actual size of this engine.  

48x6 = 288cc
66*6 = 396cc

I think it is generally true there is no replacement for displacement, especially when normally aspirated engines are involved (OK, a super/turbo arrangement can replace a lot of displacement).  I also know that a LIGHT 250cc performs well, but a heavy one is a dog.  400CC is a nicer number.  Big enough that weight will be less critical.

Frames are easy, just need to know what fits where and make it all line up.  If you don't know what fits where then maybe it would be better to build from the inside out.  I don't know how detailed your drawings are, so you might be OK starting with the frame if the entire machine is fully drawn and modeled.

Lastly, I do not ride.  I wanted to get my endorsement but did not have the money when a bike was available to learn on.  (This was my Mom's Kawasaki, Dad had a Triumph when I was growing up, both have been sold since)  A couple years ago I rode my Dad's new 250cc "scooter" which was almost enough to hook me solid on motorcycles.

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down