Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Automite:  Be happy that you didn't win this one Cox_ba12

Automite:  Be happy that you didn't win this one Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Fox .35 Modifications
by Onelife Today at 6:47 pm

» Happy Anzac Day!
by 706jim Today at 6:44 pm

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by MauricioB Today at 4:08 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 3:56 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by rsv1cox Today at 7:17 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Today at 6:20 am

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by Levent Suberk Today at 12:23 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Yesterday at 10:25 pm

» Micro Draco Gets to Fly on a Beautiful Morning.
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:15 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:06 pm

» Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 5:12 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Yesterday at 3:39 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Automite:  Be happy that you didn't win this one Empty
Live on Patrol

Automite: Be happy that you didn't win this one

Go down

Automite:  Be happy that you didn't win this one Empty Automite: Be happy that you didn't win this one

Post  rsv1cox Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:29 pm

Automite:  Be happy that you didn't win this one Automitenomuff_zps44070d10

When I saw this sellers picture in an ebay ad bells should have went off but they didn't.  Well they did, sorta.  So the flywheel is off  the axle I thought, we can fix anything.  Trouble is, the other half of the engines crank shaft is broken off up inside the axle.  

Automite:  Be happy that you didn't win this one Brokenautomite025_zps4100cabc

This thing was a disaster from the beginning.  Instead of the nice smooth plastic finish of my first Automite, this one is crazed like someone wiped it off with a solvent unfriendly to plastic.  The engine was so gummed up that aggressive use of a heat gun was necessary to free it.  I have never seen an engine this bad.  The user must have filled the tank with fuel, then filled the venturi flooding the crankcase housing.  This picture is after I had cleaned most of the gunk out of the housing.

Automite:  Be happy that you didn't win this one Brokenautomite016_zps290c5602 

When I unscrewed the cylinder the goo inside it held the piston and rotated it off the connecting rod.

The combination of dried fuel and the neoprene residue of the fuel line made a major mess that no detergent or solvent could remove.  It had to be dug out.

Automite:  Be happy that you didn't win this one Brokenautomite012_zps78615b52

Media blasting (aluminum oxide) cleaned everything up.  But it did nothing for the broken crankshaft.  I have a spare engine, but I still have to deal with the axle with the broken half of the crank inside.  I can make one with the proper size steel rod, but it's drilling the hole in the rod that presents alignment problems.  I don't have a lathe, but maybe if I'm careful I could do it with my drill press.  Tapping the hole isn't a problem or cutting threads on the other end for the axle nut, but drilling that hole is.

Automite:  Be happy that you didn't win this one Brokenautomite023_zps6a08a20d

Any suggestions?
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Automite:  Be happy that you didn't win this one Empty Re: Automite: Be happy that you didn't win this one

Post  rsv1cox Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:13 pm

Well, Halleluiah I had two pieces of good luck.  First the threaded end of the broken crankshaft was not inside the axle and I was able to use my Cox piston re-setter tool to put the Wen Mac piston back together.  

Automite:  Be happy that you didn't win this one Automiterebuild008_zps312ca666

The base would not work though as the Wen Mac piston is larger in diameter than the Cox.

I was also able to remove the broken crankshaft from the Automite’s engine and the crankshaft from a parts engine and replace it in the Automite.

But there is a difference.  The size of the Automites crankshaft splined portion is larger than that of the replacement crank.  Probably made more robust to absorb the heavy flywheel.  

Automite:  Be happy that you didn't win this one Automiterebuild007_zps1ecc980d

Also notice the intake holes are different also between the two crankshafts.

Automite:  Be happy that you didn't win this one Automiterebuild003_zps13bc7d59

Got it all back together, but I will have to find the crankcase to cylinder gasket before I run it.  Those gaskets are hard to find so I will probably have to make one.

Automite:  Be happy that you didn't win this one Automiterebuild011_zps642169ec

Automite:  Be happy that you didn't win this one Automiterebuild018_zpsa0de193a

There are differences between the two, one has the pull string start, the other doesn’t.

Automite:  Be happy that you didn't win this one Automiterebuild017_zpscd7dd2d3
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Automite:  Be happy that you didn't win this one Empty Re: Automite: Be happy that you didn't win this one

Post  ian1954 Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:22 pm

How did you restore the tyres? Do you know what the white crud was?

I like seeing models brought back to life.
ian1954
ian1954
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:27 pm

Man, that was quite a challenge. I commend you for your patience to tackle this job.
Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:45 am

Thanks, it was an effort, especially those wheels. A two day soak in Simple Green did nothing. It took a detergent, hot water and a stiff brush (a tooth brush would not do it) to remove it.

Automite:  Be happy that you didn't win this one NoMuffler005_zpsc1bf3827

I have no idea what it was. Wasn't paint, looked like pot ash. I hope it wasn't toxic. Smile

The instructions say to just tighten the drive wheel nut finger tight. The flywheel acts "like a clutch" until the inertia of the flywheel catches up to the engines RPM's.

I still have to take it all down again and bench test the engine before I run it. It's interesting that this one has no provisions for a driver or muffler. I still have to construct a muffler for the other one.

rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:22 am

lol, I want one!

Nice job restoring them, I love bringing these old toys back to life, never done a car, always airplanes and now you got me thinking...
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/049Collectors/

Back to top Go down

Post  crankbndr Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:01 pm

Yes, nice job! Maybe the crazing on the body will polish out? I used a 4" polishing wheel and Novus on the hard plastic on the Prop Rod and it worked very well.
crankbndr
crankbndr
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:06 pm

crankbndr wrote:Yes, nice job! Maybe the crazing on the body will polish out? I used a 4" polishing wheel and Novus on the hard plastic on the Prop Rod and it worked very well.

I saw that.  I will have to revisit that thread to see the products that you used and how you did it.  That was a great job.

I used glass top range cleaner and fine steel wool to remove the crazing.  It came out very smooth but dull, but it was dull to begin with.  A little effort with your method should help.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:23 pm

Mark Boesen wrote:lol, I want one!

Nice job restoring them, I love bringing these old toys back to life, never done a car, always airplanes and now you got me thinking...

Ha Mark, LOL me, all I need is more ebay competition on these.... Sad

But...here's a good one for you. Looks like a good candidate for restoration.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-ROY-RAY-COX-THIMBLE-DROME-SPECIAL-51-TOY-TETHER-CAR/261718454707?_trksid=p2047675.c100013.m1986&_trkparms=aid%3D555012%26algo%3DPW.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20131223091518%26meid%3Dbebc5ea9e8d8422e951673b2d9952662%26pid%3D100013%26prg%3D20131223091518%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D30%26sd%3D271704004849

I still have this one waiting in the wings. Testors Indy Racer. I have a much nicer one but this one has a pull starter on a wheel.

Automite:  Be happy that you didn't win this one TestorsIndyracer012_zps960e45d8

Automite:  Be happy that you didn't win this one TestorsIndyracer005_zps2a83270d

Yes, that's masking tape holding the body together. Twenty bucks and I was the only bidder. Wonder why.

I might not have bought it if I had bought the Automite first. The Testors engine looks every bit as gummed up as the nightmare Automites was, but at least the wheel isn't hanging off.

But, I just like that Automite. Looks...Butch with the 30's/40's styling.

Automite:  Be happy that you didn't win this one TestorsIndyracer013_zps01c208b6
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  crankbndr Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:22 pm

One of the hardest things to find for the Testors Indy car are the stickers.
This seller has repo stickers, they look nice and haven't been around long.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Testors-SPRITE-CAR-STICKERS-/291323110268?pt=Vintage_Antique_Toys_US&hash=item43d435e37c&nma=true&si=Ah7FJ%252BeQ4XRJCBCv7hwC%252BazI4r4%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Automite:  Be happy that you didn't win this one Stick_10
crankbndr
crankbndr
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down