Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

cardboard wing on baby ringmaster - Page 3 Cox_ba12

cardboard wing on baby ringmaster - Page 3 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Foam hand kids glider converted to 0.049 CL
by roddie Today at 4:33 am

» Cox PT-19 Wing
by latole Today at 4:28 am

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Today at 2:54 am

» Golden Bee basic running problem
by roddie Yesterday at 10:51 pm

» Simple Gliders
by rdw777 Yesterday at 6:25 pm

» Weird search for a single comic from an old Mad Magazine
by Kim Yesterday at 1:44 pm

» Scientific "Zipper" Build...Zipper Flys!.
by getback Yesterday at 7:27 am

» Cox .049 Tee Dee engines back in stock (limited availablility)
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 1:05 am

» Very off-topic.........Time passes and not always for the best......
by rsv1cox Thu Jul 25, 2024 2:47 pm

» Jim Walker Bonanza etc.
by rsv1cox Wed Jul 24, 2024 6:30 pm

» Throttles for Cox Tee Dee .049 / .020 / .010 engines --- videos
by sosam117 Wed Jul 24, 2024 8:54 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Admin Tue Jul 23, 2024 2:00 am

Cox Engine of The Month
July-2024
robot797's

"ULTIMITE COX 010: it has a clutch, E starter, throttle, exhaust, aluminum tank, aluminum venturi, gearbox with forward and reverse, and now its on a custom drawn and printed stand"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

cardboard wing on baby ringmaster - Page 3 Empty
Live on Patrol

cardboard wing on baby ringmaster

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

cardboard wing on baby ringmaster - Page 3 Empty Re: cardboard wing on baby ringmaster

Post  GPW Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:17 pm

Hey Guys , a trick we use on our wings ( even Foamie RC) is a Bamboo cooking skewer glued to the leading edge , they’re light , but incredibly strong and really keep the LE “nicks“ to a minimum … I’d think that would be Perfect for cardboard wings . Just a suggestion … Since I fly in a grassy field , my leading edges always take a beating , the Bamboo really helps !!!
GPW
GPW
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

cardboard wing on baby ringmaster - Page 3 Empty Re: cardboard wing on baby ringmaster

Post  akjgardner Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:54 pm

good to know. thanks for the tip. ill give it a try
akjgardner
akjgardner
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GPW Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:16 am

You think anyone would be interested in a quickly built folded foam wing ? .. You could make up several at a time like the Combat guys used to do ( I guess they still do eh ? ) A little hot glue to hold them on to Balsa bodies … ( easily replaceable ) and you could get a nice Fat symmetrical airfoil if you wanted … Huh... If there’s any interest I’ll draw up some plans …
Although we’ve built many planes with Cardboard, Corroplast, and FFF foam , the Foam is the lightest and is pretty tough … It’ll need it for 1/2A CL …. hahahaha
GPW
GPW
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  aspeed Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:39 am

I had been thinking of the blue FFF for an F2D type plane. All the foam ones have the bellcrank outside, and the Russian wood ones are kind of complex. It could be scaled up or down for 1/2A or a .40 stunter.
aspeed
aspeed
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  GPW Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:44 pm

‘speed, I was thinking too of the bellcrank on the outside … Lots easier to rig than inside the wing … kinda makes the “replaceable” aspect much easier …
Something like this , but longer … cardboard wing on baby ringmaster - Page 3 A551521-208-pic%20from%20Gary
GPW
GPW
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  GPW Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:51 pm

Or you can bend each half individually and glue them together … cardboard wing on baby ringmaster - Page 3 A1801609-166-Bent3
GPW
GPW
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  aspeed Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:57 pm

Ya, the blue one with a wood spar to hold the bellcrank looks good, and fairly thick centre rib to hold the maple engine bearers. Symmetrical airfoil for a combat.
aspeed
aspeed
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  GPW Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:54 pm

Combat !!! Shocked Forgotten about that … The Blue one is really easy to Fold up … A wood and foam spar works Great on RC planes , should be fine on CL too … and you only have to cut “filler” ribs for the ends … With a little organization , you could probably glue up a dozen or so wings while watching Charlie’s Angels reruns in an evening … I guess I should make one and take pictures … Huh...

I’d be Happy with a foam wing baby Ringmaster or Jumpin’ bean , Flight streak … Just to work on long forgotten stunt maneuvers ...
GPW
GPW
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  aspeed Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:26 pm

Charlies Angels? Well I guess I did have a poster of Farrah Fawcett when I was ? 14?
aspeed
aspeed
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  GPW Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:47 pm

Sorry 'speed , I’m pretty old now (70) … still not too old to stop having Fun !!! RC Plane

BTW, I never cared for FF … " I dreamed of Jeanie ” … hahahaha
GPW
GPW
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  aspeed Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:54 pm

Yep, Jeanie fer sure. I'm just a kid at 60.
aspeed
aspeed
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:19 pm

This may be a silly question, but I am just assuming that you make the wing cut-out in teh shape of the wing. But, what do you use to attach it? White craft glue, wood carpenters glue, CA, or epoxy? This almost has me wanting to try making something when my other projects are done.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  GPW Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:04 am

N222, I don’t know what everybody else uses , but we plan to use slow drying Epoxy and maybe some small dowels to Pin the wing to the fuse …and if the fuselage is thin like a profile , we usually add some triangular stock to help add more gluing area … But then sometimes rubberbands and a keyed in fit can save a wing ( or fuselage ) in a severe crash ( PT-19 style) … great for beginners …or old guys like myself that haven’t flown Control line since the last Century … Laughing
GPW
GPW
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  GPW Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:06 am

Just sharing this pic posted elsewhere here… self explanatory … sorta’ cardboard wing on baby ringmaster - Page 3 A11940599-107-Foam%20airfoil
GPW
GPW
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  GPW Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:30 am

Just wanted to mention the “phillips entry “( front upwardly curved bottom part of the airfoil )   just occurs when you add the top skin …   Wink

Didn’t Cox have a ME 109 stunter … ??? Somebody did …
GPW
GPW
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  akjgardner Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:34 pm

GPW wrote:Just wanted to mention the “phillips entry “( front upwardly curved bottom part of the airfoil )   just occurs when you add the top skin …   Wink

Didn’t Cox have a ME 109 stunter … ???  Somebody did …  
Yes Cox made a 109 stunter. I want to make on with a balsa Fuse and foam wing
akjgardner
akjgardner
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:50 am

An European fellow, forgot from which country, built a replica Super Stunter some time ago, there was a thread here about it. I think it was the same guy who fixed a Babe Bee backplate Huh... anyone remember?

I think his version ended up a little heavy, not sure about that. But that thread might be useful for other builds, I’ll see if I find it.

Edit: Ha! Took about 3 seconds to find it lol! Thanks pegin for naming your thread appropriately Thumbs Up

https://www.coxengineforum.com/t11746-cox-super-stunter-balsa-build-40-years-later?highlight=Stunter

Edit2: unfortunately the model was not finished due to a covering material problem Sad
KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  aspeed Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:27 am

The country is Serbia. Just doing some inventory here I found a flying wing called the Sport Bat that is made from foam board. It seems to have a plastic coating but it is probably just paper. Pretty basic plane that is not really that light after the spar and motor mounts are in. I am sure it could fly well with the .10 size that is recommended if I ever finish it.
aspeed
aspeed
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

cardboard wing on baby ringmaster - Page 3 Empty Cardboard

Post  Coxfledgling Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:23 am

Been reading this thread with great interest, cardboard as a raw material as balsa is in relative short supply and has increased in price.

I have made a note of the cardboard "site" that shows plans etc, in my little red book. I try not to trust things to memory these days, just where I have made a note, for future reference. I blame the pills.

feltondesignanddata.com, very interesting...

Anyways what is a   "screening tool" available from a hardware shop, a disc cutter of some sort, like a pizza cutter, or does the roller blade have "serrations" to form a perforated edge like on a postage  stamp ?

I always get funny looks asking for stuff in hardware shops asking for things like an Abra file. The staff are so young these days and of course "know everything"...not.

I now know what a screening tool looks like ( don't quite know what it's used for, yet ) so will hunt one down. I shall bring home cardboard crisp boxes now as well as banana boxes ( been using them for many years for storage and the sheet in the bottom for gaskets ).

I've gotta give this free raw material a go !
Coxfledgling
Coxfledgling
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  aspeed Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:37 pm

The screening tool is like a pizza cutter with a rounded edge for forming the screen into the groove of the aluminum frame. The cupped grooved end is to force the spline in. I got away from the cardboard and went to the 2mm coroplast. It weighs about the same, and doesn't need fuelproofing. Got a pic from an old mag showing the Norvel fold up planes. Never saw one in person but always thought they were cool. Now that balsa went up into the stratosphere, these alternatives seem better. I needed a piece of 3/8" x 4" balsa and it was $19. Then a 1/2" piece for the fuselage, and a piece of 1/16" ply at $24. This was just for a small .15 size profile speed plane. Weatherman. cardboard wing on baby ringmaster - Page 3 Norvel10
plane.
aspeed
aspeed
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

cardboard wing on baby ringmaster - Page 3 Empty T

Post  Coxfledgling Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:45 am

I live in Wales, UK, very clear see to Snowdon, the mountain with a rack and pinion steam railway to the pub at the top.

Balsa is becoming available here again but has gone up in price. My balsa fund jar is still not full enough to place an order.

Please, what is coroplast ?
Coxfledgling
Coxfledgling
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  aspeed Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:52 am

Coroflute, The plastic boards that politician's and real estate signs use.  The 2mm us good for wings and the normal 4mm can have a slot cut and it gives a strong hinge. The Manwin is an example. Very tough material that seldom breaks.  It can wrinkle up the corners and fold over on bad crashes. Check SPAD website, it has bigger RC planes mostly. http://www.frostracing.com/spadtothebone.org/plans.html
aspeed
aspeed
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

cardboard wing on baby ringmaster - Page 3 Empty T

Post  Coxfledgling Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:10 am

Wow, ok, thanks very much for the heads up.

I got a laser tracking gauge for the cars that has a box made from plastic sheeting that has square holes, like a plastic corrugated sheet which I think is this stuff.

I always knew that plastic house for sale or politicians placards had an afterlife, and this is it !

When damaged, it can be recycled, a real result ! Thanks.
Coxfledgling
Coxfledgling
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

cardboard wing on baby ringmaster - Page 3 Empty Cardboard wing

Post  Grf4413 Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:08 am

Like the cardboard. Been using some foamboard.  Have been thinking about colorplast, have been on the spad site.  My question is where can you get coroplast  at.  Would like to use the different colors also.
Grf4413
Grf4413
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:36 pm

Grf4413 wrote:Like the cardboard. Been using some foamboard.  Have been thinking about colorplast, have been on the spad site.  My question is where can you get coroplast  at.  Would like to use the different colors also.

Geewhiz, ya just missed the “harvesting season” for coroplast. Last November was the big voting day and many, many of the “ Vote for Me “ signs were due for removal and recycled  into flying machines.  Just so ya know that you can purchase coroplast on the Internet but it can be ordered in various colors. :st.patsbeers

Recycling Rene

Edit: found at Home Depo in White sheet only.  Packs of 10 from a distributor, shipping is probably a killer:    Maybe try a local sign shop for scraps or cut-offs
https://www.wholesaleartsframes.com/4mm-corrugated-plastic-sheets-48-x-96-10-p ack-100-virgin-white/

cardboard wing on baby ringmaster - Page 3 C4c24810
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next