Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Dismantle the Cox conrod from the piston. Help  Cox_ba12

Dismantle the Cox conrod from the piston. Help  Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Today at 10:20 pm

» Three -- sold out (making two more) Cox .010 Carburetors with wrench
by 1/2A Nut Today at 10:17 pm

» Happy Anzac Day!
by 706jim Today at 6:44 pm

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by MauricioB Today at 4:08 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 3:56 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by rsv1cox Today at 7:17 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Today at 6:20 am

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by Levent Suberk Today at 12:23 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Yesterday at 10:25 pm

» Micro Draco Gets to Fly on a Beautiful Morning.
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:15 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:06 pm

» Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 5:12 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Dismantle the Cox conrod from the piston. Help  Empty
Live on Patrol

Dismantle the Cox conrod from the piston. Help

Go down

Dismantle the Cox conrod from the piston. Help  Empty Dismantle the Cox conrod from the piston. Help

Post  jorigger Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:41 pm

Please,some peoples know the procedure for dismantle this special conrod from the piston ?

Thanks - Giuseppe Italy

Dismantle the Cox conrod from the piston. Help  Dscn4516
jorigger
jorigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Dismantle the Cox conrod from the piston. Help  Empty Dismantle the Cox conrod from the piston. Help

Post  jorigger Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:45 pm

jorigger wrote:Please,some peoples know the procedure for dismantle this special conrod from the piston ?

Thanks - Giuseppe Italy

Dismantle the Cox conrod from the piston. Help  Dscn4516

Other photo

Dismantle the Cox conrod from the piston. Help  Dscn4517
jorigger
jorigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Dismantle the Cox conrod from the piston. Help  Empty Re: Dismantle the Cox conrod from the piston. Help

Post  OVERLORD Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:22 pm

Hi Guiseppe,

According to the artice on Sceptreflight about the MkII Special (see spécifications), the gudgeon pin is floating in the aluminium conrod and the cast iron piston. It is held in place by "pressed-on distance pieces" between conrod and piston skirt:

http://sceptreflight.net/Model%20Engine%20Tests/Cox%2015%20Special%20Mk%20II.html

When looking at the instruction sheet of this engine, the piston and conrod were sold together as 1 replacement part:

https://dbabd7f0-a-62cb3a1a-s-sites.googlegroups.com/site/nitroengine/15%20Tee%20Dee%20Special%20Mark%20II.pdf?attachauth=ANoY7cogtCzRnrZJf3mK6W-YatIOIar_5HeFE7tKFqVy3udj7pthdPJcugNMSV2Ktk90llhF2EzkyNJGiNZPtY7d7bwwRV36Aa95qwUD0HbOzAqO9TV7NqqHwdb2szkZPkn1jVKA0fHJjRluMAk_nbFAT-yUxfqy0TwxzxhG5k-hPDggLDUiGhiuhI6MHM62DcCfa80vkwFgudQwufPGk98gqXUqsu61X2zMTwNn3yRGO4CSyCg7-1g%3D&attredirects=0

That makes me think that piston and conrod were not assembled to take apart. But that does not mean that there is no way to do it. lol!

Lieven
OVERLORD
OVERLORD
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  jorigger Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:36 pm

OVERLORD wrote:Hi Guiseppe,

According to the artice on Sceptreflight about the MkII Special (see spécifications), the gudgeon pin is floating in the aluminium conrod and the cast iron piston. It is held in place by "pressed-on distance pieces" between conrod and piston skirt:

http://sceptreflight.net/Model%20Engine%20Tests/Cox%2015%20Special%20Mk%20II.html

When looking at the instruction sheet of this engine, the piston and conrod were sold together as 1 replacement part:

https://dbabd7f0-a-62cb3a1a-s-sites.googlegroups.com/site/nitroengine/15%20Tee%20Dee%20Special%20Mark%20II.pdf?attachauth=ANoY7cogtCzRnrZJf3mK6W-YatIOIar_5HeFE7tKFqVy3udj7pthdPJcugNMSV2Ktk90llhF2EzkyNJGiNZPtY7d7bwwRV36Aa95qwUD0HbOzAqO9TV7NqqHwdb2szkZPkn1jVKA0fHJjRluMAk_nbFAT-yUxfqy0TwxzxhG5k-hPDggLDUiGhiuhI6MHM62DcCfa80vkwFgudQwufPGk98gqXUqsu61X2zMTwNn3yRGO4CSyCg7-1g%3D&attredirects=0

That makes me think that piston and conrod were not assembled to take apart. But that does not mean that there is no way to do it. lol!

Lieven

Good evening Lieven,
thank you very much for this you reply with all the links, i understand very well and i agree fully with you, i think the same.

Thanks again and Best Regards
Giuseppe - Italy
jorigger
jorigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Dismantle the Cox conrod from the piston. Help  Empty Re: Dismantle the Cox conrod from the piston. Help

Post  getback Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:18 pm

Hello Giuseppe glad to hear from you hope you are OK , Man if there is no GOOD reason to take that apart Don't as Leiven said .. Eric bounce
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  jorigger Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:45 pm

getback wrote:Hello Giuseppe  glad to hear from you hope you are OK , Man if there is no GOOD reason to take that apart Don't as Leiven said .. Eric bounce

Hello Eric, i'm well and i hope that you also is well. Ok Eric i understand and thank you for the advice.
Please, let me know that is this model yellow that i to see in you logo ?

Thanks again and Best Regards - Giuseppe Italy
jorigger
jorigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:52 pm

Lieven is correct, it's a press fit to the connecting rod. As long as it's rotating freely in the piston them it's not worth the risk.

While I have never done it to a .15, I have done it with automotive pistons. They are a one time press only.

Removal is done with a jig to avoid deforming the piston.

Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  jorigger Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:37 am

Cribbs74 wrote:Lieven is correct, it's a press fit to the connecting rod. As long as it's rotating freely in the piston them it's not worth the risk.

While I have never done it to a .15, I have done it with automotive pistons. They are a one time press only.

Removal is done with a jig to avoid deforming the piston.

Hello, thank you very much for the advise, i understand well.

Best Regards - Giuseppe Italy
jorigger
jorigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:10 am

Giuseppe , That yellow thing is my scratch built Baby Ringmaster  Dismantle the Cox conrod from the piston. Help  Baby_r10  It stayed on the bench a long time to get straightened out ,, I have just been enjoying looking at It so far Laughing
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Dismantle the Cox conrod from the piston. Help  Empty Cox Special & Medallion 15 Piston, Conrod and Gudgeon(Wrist) Pin Assemblies

Post  aeroland Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:57 am

This subject is 4 years old so hopefully you have worked it out before now.

The Cox TD 15 used a ball and socket small end with the copper plated piston swaged over the conrod's small end. The copper plating is a "stop off" to prevent the cyanide hardening salts hardening the skirt area during the hardening process.

The first Cox Special 15 used a bigger cylinder base thread than the TD 15, permitting bigger transfer ports. Cylinder was still mild steel but the piston was cast iron. Gudgeon pin was retained by two press fit steel spacers each side of the stamped al. alloy conrod. The Cox instructions refer to just one spacer fitted to the rear of the engine but if you remove the other one as I did the gudgeon(wrist) pin then moves into the cylinder wall whilst running and ruins both cylinder and piston.

The gold anodised crankcase, single exhaust port Special 15 Mk II used a gudgeon (wrist) pin with grooves at each end. The piston carried a skirt circlip groove located below the gudgeon (wrist) pin bore that broke into the gudgeon(wrist) pin bore at each end. The pin was retained by a wire circlip fitted up under the piston skirt and engaging with the gudgeon(wrist) pin grooves. The spacers were still fitted either side of the conrod but now slip fitted and I have found both steel and aluminium spacers. The end of the wire circlip was bent to loop over one spacer.

The piston, pin and conrod assembly in your picture is of the Mk II Special 15 type so disassembly is done by grasping the end of the circlip wire with forceps or very small snipe nosed pliers and moving it to the centre of the piston until it comes free of the piston's groove. The pin can then be pushed out by hand if the assembly is clean though a small mandrel press with aluminium V block to support the piston could be used if stuck with aged castor oil. Heating with a small butane torch will also reduce the push out force required.

Trust this helps - regards
aeroland
aeroland
Beginner Poster
Beginner Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down