Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

McCoy .29 ?  _  This is wrong, right? - Page 2 Cox_ba12

McCoy .29 ?  _  This is wrong, right? - Page 2 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Fox .35 Modifications
by Onelife Today at 6:38 pm

» Happy Anzac Day!
by Admin Today at 5:50 pm

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by MauricioB Today at 4:08 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 3:56 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by rsv1cox Today at 7:17 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Today at 6:20 am

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by Levent Suberk Today at 12:23 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Yesterday at 10:25 pm

» Micro Draco Gets to Fly on a Beautiful Morning.
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:15 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:06 pm

» Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 5:12 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Yesterday at 3:39 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

McCoy .29 ?  _  This is wrong, right? - Page 2 Empty
Live on Patrol

McCoy .29 ? _ This is wrong, right?

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

McCoy .29 ?  _  This is wrong, right? - Page 2 Empty Re: McCoy .29 ? _ This is wrong, right?

Post  rsv1cox Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:05 am

Yes, the Sidewinder is 20% nitro, 10% oil but it doesn't indicate what type.

I have used about 1/4 + of the quart figuring there is about 20/22 ounces remaining so those are the figures I plugged in.

Not long runs on the McCoys and others, just enough to prove that they would run.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

McCoy .29 ?  _  This is wrong, right? - Page 2 Empty Re: McCoy .29 ? _ This is wrong, right?

Post  Ken Cook Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:24 am

Sidewinder fuel is made by Morgan. Morgan does indeed make a control line fuel. This will take all the guess work out and provide one with the needed protection. Castor oil is old school technology and many of the newer fuels have little to none. The cost is another factor. Powermaster was hit or miss with fuel supplies due to internal company issues and Sig was on the verge of bankruptcy. Sig was purchased by a new owner and buying anything from them at the time was problematic. The new owner was scrambling to make things correct but at the time it was looking very grim. Morgan quickly took advantage of this and provided fuels for our use. The fuel is a exclusive control line fuel. However this fuel isn't a all castor fuel and is a 50/50 blend. The main problem with Morgan fuel company is that they're very reluctant to disclose any if at all information in regards to how much oil is in their fuel. You can e-mail them 6 times and get 6 different answers. If running vintage engines is your thing, I would forego the chemistry and try and purchase what works. S&W fuel http://www.splube.com/otherapplications.html is owned by a control line flying owner who knows vintage engines and modern and would certainly be able to provide you with the proper mix without having the need to refinance your house. Randy Ritch from Texas would also be more than happy to help http://www.ritchsbrew.com/.

I use Powermaster 11/22 for everything I own. This also includes vintage engines. Your choice is entirely up to you. I will say that running all castor fuel would be highly recommended. You also have Sig to choose from. I highly recommend the choices I named due to them working reliably. Just because you mixed the needed oil content to these modern fuels doesn't mean that these engines are going to like it. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:31 am

Good enough for me Ken.  When this Sidewinder runs out, I will check into it.

But now, you have me thinking, I have a lot of Cox 25 & 35% nitro.  Is that ok to use in the Cox .049's as is?  I would have to think so.  My .049 McCoys and Spitfires like it to.  ShouldI blend in some castor for them?
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:56 am

Bob , when you say you have a lot of 25%-35% nitro fuel is this actual Cox name brand fuel? While the older engines the Spitfire and the Cubs and such love the nitro, the nitro is what will also break the engine. I read and hear it all the time that running high nitro is going to wear out and burn up your engines. If that is true, I must have the best engines ever produced because I've never experienced it. What it will do is break parts. The torque provided to the crankpin, crank etc. is really increased due to a bigger bang. The end result is something breaking. I don't run Mccoy .049's. I have no use for them, I witness others running them. I personally would keep the nitro as low as possible. You have no parts supplies other than older used engines. Why use a fuel that could potentially break the engine? The metallurgy of those engines were questionable when new and now 50 years later it becomes a guess. I'm not a collector but a user. I've seen brand new engines break in one run, on the other side, I've seen 50 year old engines run like they shouldn't over and over. Rather than take a chance, and I have no idea how attached you are to some of these, I would as mentioned keep the oil high and the nitro low. I try not to get attached to these things but if something breaks, I can't say I'm happy about it. I own all of my dad's engines when he was a teen. I'm still running all of them with the exception of 2 which I broke. My dad chuckles about it and says what do you expect for a few dollars, it lasted a long time.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:31 am

Yes, actual Cox fuel in 25 and 35% bottles. I have ran the .049 McCoys on both the Sidewinder and Cox fuels Spitzy's and Royal Spitfires too. I like them because they start easy and always in the right direction. They may not turn the RPM's of the Cox engines, but that's not as important to me.

I guess the only engines that I treasure are my original Cox and Enya engines. Yes, parts are rare but used engines are a source and they are cheap.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2