Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Being Mature and Responsible and Using My Time Wisely on a Windy Day...sorta... Cox_ba12

Being Mature and Responsible and Using My Time Wisely on a Windy Day...sorta... Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Fox .35 Modifications
by Onelife Today at 9:18 pm

» Happy Anzac Day!
by 706jim Today at 6:44 pm

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by MauricioB Today at 4:08 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 3:56 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by rsv1cox Today at 7:17 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Today at 6:20 am

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by Levent Suberk Today at 12:23 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Yesterday at 10:25 pm

» Micro Draco Gets to Fly on a Beautiful Morning.
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:15 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:06 pm

» Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 5:12 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Yesterday at 3:39 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Being Mature and Responsible and Using My Time Wisely on a Windy Day...sorta... Empty
Live on Patrol

Being Mature and Responsible and Using My Time Wisely on a Windy Day...sorta...

Go down

Being Mature and Responsible and Using My Time Wisely on a Windy Day...sorta... Empty Being Mature and Responsible and Using My Time Wisely on a Windy Day...sorta...

Post  Kim Sat Apr 02, 2016 2:37 pm

So, got tired of stretching out in my lawn chair, watching my local red-tail hawk, and Peregrine falcon play in the wind....show-offs...and figured I'd drag out the painting stuff.  Who knows...maybe the occasional, imbedded leaf or twig might add some turbulation to the surfaces of these mighty beasts.

Being Mature and Responsible and Using My Time Wisely on a Windy Day...sorta... 1_13

My Ken Willard 'Poolboy' will be hosting the World's Smallest Traveling Engine, and so, got new silkspan on it's wings and even a patch or two on it's sanded carcass.  The wings got Cub yellow and fuse a new coat of grey.  If I shame myself enough, it'll get some pre-WWII Circle Stars and return it to duty as 'The Eyes of the Fleet'.  I'd talk about how old the thing is, but you guys already know I seldom fly anything new, so...

The Blackhawk/Scientific Stunt Trainer is a long-term back-burner project that also got a coat of Cub Yellow.  Probably get trimmed in red.

Being Mature and Responsible and Using My Time Wisely on a Windy Day...sorta... 2_14

Surrounded by wet-paint surfaces, my Blackhawk/Scientific Golden Hawk waits patiently for me to hack out a suitable cowling for it's Space Bug engine.

Being Mature and Responsible and Using My Time Wisely on a Windy Day...sorta... 3_15

Figure the Thunderbird's stabilizer is pretty secure in it's holder.

Being Mature and Responsible and Using My Time Wisely on a Windy Day...sorta... 4_10

Now that I've tested all my buds' interest in my lazy afternoon...it's time for my nap.  Figure after two hours of exposure to Brodak Dope and thinner, I may get a visit from the Purple Dust Bunnies again...

Crimson and Clover Kim
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Being Mature and Responsible and Using My Time Wisely on a Windy Day...sorta... Empty Re: Being Mature and Responsible and Using My Time Wisely on a Windy Day...sorta...

Post  rsv1cox Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:37 pm

Lacquer thinner, wind in shop towels, SunMaid raisins, and bug spray make for an interesting mix Kim.

I do like that Poolboy. Are you really going to mount the .010 and ROW? Have a wet suit ready, you may have to swim out to retrieve it. Smile I think a hand launch would be your plan.

What's the stick built fuselage with the oval tail?
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Being Mature and Responsible and Using My Time Wisely on a Windy Day...sorta... Empty Re: Being Mature and Responsible and Using My Time Wisely on a Windy Day...sorta...

Post  Ken Cook Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:49 pm

Looks like a Fokker DR-1
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sat Apr 02, 2016 5:31 pm

rsv1cox wrote:Lacquer thinner, wind in shop towels, SunMaid raisins, and bug spray make for an interesting mix Kim.  

I do like that Poolboy. Are you really going to mount the .010 and ROW?  Have a wet suit ready, you may have to swim out to retrieve it.  Smile  I think a hand launch would be your plan.  

What's the stick built fuselage with the oval tail?  

Yeah, things can get a little strange up here on the hill ! Got some good news with my blood sugar numbers this past week, so I'm trying to keep everything going in the right direction. If I DO have a feminine side (beside my first name), it's an insane craving for chocolate. I'll get angry and drive into town for the single purpose of knocking down a Hershey bar! My doctor...a cool guy who likes to chide me...says that's fine, as long a I walk the 6 mile round trip!

I buy hornet spray four cans at hit. Me and the red wasps fight a yearly battle for my yard and shop. I usually win, but they get their licks in too.

Ken called it right, the frame is a Guillows Dr-1 I started back in 1995 or so. It started out intended as a free flight, then a control liner, then an R/C with my Cannon gear, then a divorce got it stuck in a plastic storage bin. I just got it out, along with some other stuff I hadn't seen since the 90's.

It's wings are finished and in pretty good shape, so I think I may try making up some new built-up tail feathers and get it going.

Stuff Everywhere Kim
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sat Apr 02, 2016 5:49 pm

rsv1cox wrote:
I do like that Poolboy. Are you really going to mount the .010 and ROW?  Have a wet suit ready, you may have to swim out to retrieve it.  Smile  I think a hand launch would be your plan.  

Oops, forgot the Pool Boy.  It's always been hand-launched, and probably will this time too.  There's a flat space down at the airport that always holds an inch or two of water after a hard rain, so I may just go for it if Mother Nature has some good timing with the arrival of the TWSTE.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hF7cU_1HLZ0
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:48 pm

Neat video KIm,  I forgot just how loud the little suckers are.  Last time I ran one was in the 90's in Florida.

I should have nailed that DR-1, a favorite.  But I couldn't make the connection.

Chocolate, I love the stuff too.  Reeses peanut butter cups are my downfall, but for years I could not have any. About 15 years ago I awoke one morning and my heart was pumping in overdrive.  I went to the Dr and he said knock off the caffeine, I did and the problem went away.  I was living on coffee and coke cola at the time.  Gave those up but chocolate would slip me right back into overdrive, so I gave it up too.  

Last year I backslid and had a Reese, then two, then three.  No problems.  Today I stuff them down like they would never be available again.  I'm pushing 80, require no meds and they are my only vice.  Except maybe Turtles, Kit Kat's, and a Snickers or two.  Smile

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  fit90 Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:05 pm

I liked reading about your battles with hornets and then moments later hearing the tee dee .010 run. That is a cool little plane. Two channel aerobatics are always fun, and some times frustrating, but always fun.
fit90
fit90
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:09 pm

rsv1cox wrote:Neat video KIm,  I forgot just how loud the little suckers are.  Last time I ran one was in the 90's in Florida.

Last year I backslid and had a Reese, then two, then three.  No problems.  Today I stuff them down like they would never be available again.  I'm pushing 80, require no meds and they are my only vice.  Except maybe Turtles, Kit Kat's, and a Snickers or two.  Smile

Bob

Yeah, they're screamers. I took one to Tailwinds Hobbies and ran it for a few seconds just to give Mitch and Patty a dose! Even with the racket, they liked it, and even the faint smell of castor that wafted through the air afterward.

However, it terrified the other guy who worked opposite shifts from me. He actually hid behind a parts stand 'cause he thought the prop might come after him. Patty later told me that an electric helicopter had gotten him as he leaned over it, bumping the transmitter against his belly and launching it into his face. So, the little engine wasn't a nice thing for him.

Good for you on the zero meds! That's no small thing!

My Uncle Wayne is 87, and still has it together mentally, but has a lot of physical challenges that I fear are wearing him down. So, I just try to spend time with him...we're heading to St. Louis tomorrow for a Swap Meet, and I'll enjoy the whole trip. The guy literally gave me a direction when I was a kid, that's allowed me to do all the cool stuff that I enjoy.

Being Mature and Responsible and Using My Time Wisely on a Windy Day...sorta... 2_15

Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:14 pm

Great video Kim, doesn't sound like the neighborhood dog was too happy.

Your uncle Wayne seems like a real cool guy.

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:45 pm

Cribbs74 wrote:Great video Kim, doesn't sound like the neighborhood dog was too happy.

Your uncle Wayne seems like a real cool guy.

Ron

Thanks Ron,

Yeah, Wayne was the definition of 'Cool' when I was growing up, and still is.  His model airplane career started with a visit from his sister, who'd bought her son a Wen Mac Corsair.  He was not interested in it, and the plane was left at Wayne's house after their visit.  Wayne and his son Bobby, who was 11 at the time, actually got it to fly, and things went from there.  So, I got him to pose with the plane I got from Ebay.

The dog barking is Chelsea The Super Hound, my sheltie and best friend for her 15 years.  She's ticked off at having been kept in the van...I'd usually let her chase my smaller planes, but there were several stray dogs around the field that I didn't trust.

Being Mature and Responsible and Using My Time Wisely on a Windy Day...sorta... Chelse10

Here she is in action, 'herding' my Cal Smith 'Blunderbus'.  She never touched a model, just did a Victory Circle before running back and waiting for the whole thing to repeat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1I5-kCRUWU
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  xplaneguy Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:24 am

Kim-Glad to see the Pool Boy getting a makeover, it's a cool Willard design. Smile Sure would love build one someday, haven't had luck finding plans.

Are you planning to bring the Pool Boy and Bus to SMALL?
xplaneguy
xplaneguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=263724

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sun Apr 03, 2016 4:31 am

xplaneguy wrote:Kim-Glad to see the Pool Boy getting a makeover, it's a cool Willard design. Smile Sure would love build one someday, haven't had luck finding plans.

Regarding the Pool Boy, I can fix you up dude! (sounds a little weird for some reason) I've got my original plans that could be hauled to Staples or someplace, along with the original magazine article/instructions. Cheapest way would be to section the plan onto 11x17 sheets, but they might be able to do the whole thing on one sheet. I can run you a set and stick them in the van for you.

Embarrassing story (I have many)...I've built two and 1/2 of these models. The first was just poorly built, covered with Monokote, and flew, but was generally a poor job all around. I decided to build another, and made the mistake of starting work the morning after nightshift in the diaper factory. When I dragged myself out of bed late in the afternoon, my project didn't look right, and it took a humiliating long time for me to get a clue: I had built the fuselage upside-down, with the wing struts all splayed out, and protruding outward of what was suppose to be the hull, with what was supposed to be the top all nicely sanded and sealed up water-tight. My sleep-deprived mind had envisioned it as a boat hull--narrow side down, for slicing through the bounding main.

No one ever saw this little Frankenstein...it was quietly dispatched...and a new and proper hull promptly took it's place. I never did well on swing-shifts...

Yes, looking to bring both...though I got to get an new radio in the Blunderbus and get it trimmed. It can only fly in fairly light winds since it doesn't have an elevator...probably evening flights.

Gonna pack a bunch of RTF and Balsa 1/2A circle turners. and my Medallion-Powered 3m Bird of Time if I get it's wing patched.

Another sign of Spring---I dragged out and dusted off my Fly-In Aircraft Hauler---for getting all of my stuff to the flight line and back. So...this is happening !

Being Mature and Responsible and Using My Time Wisely on a Windy Day...sorta... 20_10
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:08 am

Thanks as always Kim , I enjoyed the vids. I was wondering about that Fokker ! as to what it was nice looking air frame , I have about 2 acres behind my house that is pretty open but trees al around , I want to build me some thing fairly small R/C floater so I can try and get some R/C time in without having to go from the house .020 or .049 size 2-3 channel , what would you suggest (needs to be pretty durable ) lol my RC time has been a while ago and not that great at it . Thanks for any suggestions . Eric RC Plane
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:23 pm

getback wrote:Thanks as always Kim , I enjoyed the vids. I was wondering about that Fokker ! as to what it was nice looking air frame , I have about 2 acres behind my house that is pretty open but trees al around , I want to build me some thing fairly small R/C floater so I can try and get some R/C time in without having to go from the house .020 or .049 size  2-3 channel , what would you suggest (needs to be pretty durable ) lol my RC time has been a while ago and not that great at it . Thanks for any suggestions . Eric RC Plane

Thanks Eric !

One of the things I've been wanting to try is an .020 power pod on one of those RTF hand-launched gliders. They look about the right size for a healthy .020 to pull, and don't have landing gear to trip them up on landing .

Besides the Pool Boy, Ken Willard has several quick build designs that range from .010's to .049s, if you think you might like to scratch one out.

We've also got a good looking Piper Cub at Tailwinds (can't remember the manufacturer) if an electric might be an option.

Hope some of this might help!

Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  xplaneguy Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:32 pm

Kim wrote:
xplaneguy wrote:Kim-Glad to see the Pool Boy getting a makeover, it's a cool Willard design. Smile Sure would love build one someday, haven't had luck finding plans.

Regarding the Pool Boy, I can fix you up dude!  (sounds a little weird for some reason)  I've got my original plans that could be hauled to Staples or someplace, along with the original magazine article/instructions.  Cheapest way would be to section the plan onto 11x17 sheets, but they might be able to do the whole thing on one sheet.  I can run you a set and stick them in the van for you.
Wow.....thanks Kim! I gladly cover any costs to reproduce the plans and magazine article.

You know, you're bringing a few of my favorites from your fleet. I've watched those vids many time and I can't wait to see them fly in person. I have a feeling I'll be taking lots of photo again this year. Smile

What day are you planning to arrive at SMALL?
xplaneguy
xplaneguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:22 am

http://www.olympic.org/Assets/MediaPlayer/Photos/2012/London/Athletics/12_08_12_Athletics_21_150172364_hd.jpg

I have been trying to place that image of you launching that glider Kim.  Then I thought Olympic games.  Wow, substitute a Javelin and your right in the Decathion. Smile
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:05 am

[quote="xplaneguy]

What day are you planning to arrive at SMALL?[/quote]

I'm shooting to hit the road on Wednesday the 1st...but if I don't open my big mouth and volunteer for some other project or favor (as cool as retirement might seem, it sure makes a guy a target), I may get there earlier.

Figure to get some evening flying in before settling in.

STILL got to call Steve or somebody to see if I can stay on the field in my van...
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  xplaneguy Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:07 am

My daughter and I arrive Monday afternoon....making the most of the $1K+ travel expense, so if you get in early, even better. Smile
xplaneguy
xplaneguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down