Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Norvel 15 Big Mig Cox_ba12

Norvel 15 Big Mig Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by roddie Today at 1:49 pm

» Tired of it all…
by Ken Cook Today at 8:04 am

» PT-19 Mayhem at Buder Park...a Decade Ago!!!!
by Kim Today at 7:41 am

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by getback Today at 6:46 am

» Three -- sold out (making two more) Cox .010 Carburetors with wrench
by balogh Today at 12:34 am

» Joe Wagners Sioux
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 9:03 pm

» Happy Anzac Day!
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 4:16 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 12:27 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Yesterday at 7:31 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 3:16 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:20 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:25 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Norvel 15 Big Mig Empty
Live on Patrol

Norvel 15 Big Mig

Go down

Norvel 15 Big Mig Empty Norvel 15 Big Mig

Post  ian1954 Thu May 12, 2016 4:58 pm

As supplied by Eric via the Ukraine.

Norvel 15 Big Mig Norvel10

Ugly exhaust but it looks as if it will part company with the engine in a prang rather than ripping the crankcase apart.
ian1954
ian1954
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Norvel 15 Big Mig Empty Re: Norvel 15 Big Mig

Post  JPvelo Thu May 12, 2016 5:16 pm

I have one of those with the cl venturi. I haven't flown it but it screams on the test stand. Jim Hoffman has one on his carrier plane, says he can leave it sit for months and it will start right up every time.

Jim
JPvelo
JPvelo
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Thu May 12, 2016 5:24 pm

A major drawback on the control line version is the plastic banjo fitting where the fuel line hooks to. I see the same fitting on this r/c version. A leak can result on either side of it causing problematic engine runs. On the control line version, I switched out the needle and spraybar and replaced with a OS #1 A ( No longer produced) which screws directly into the venturi. The only needed modification was to shorten the tip slightly where it entered the venturi. Aside from that it offered a very leak free and fine adjustment for the engine. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  ian1954 Thu May 12, 2016 5:52 pm

I am lucky that I can now make NVAs - I usually do this to make replicas for collectors items. I have trouble though making the "spring" ones where the serrations on the needle are held tight and cutting the fine slot on any of them. The spring clip is difficult to replicate.

My preference is the MVVS or the ST needle for 2.5cc engines if they are to be runners. I like the way they seal and can be locked, they are also the easiest to make. 2.4 x 0.4 mm tapes and dies. No soldering and the can be made from round bar or hex stock.

My latest batch, apart from the ones on the Stalker Modusa(e)

Norvel 15 Big Mig Nvas_010

I will have to do a topic on making them.

I have two LA 15s to convert to CL. Ken gave me the venturi opening size and I have made these. Just waiting now for time to set up the lathe for a couple of NVAs. None of the ones I have made have the "hole" in the right place!
ian1954
ian1954
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Surfer_kris Fri May 13, 2016 3:52 pm

If you are after a high power there are a few things to look out for.
- some mufflers has baffles inside that limits the power, I think you have that version, while later one-piece mufflers are without baffles.
- there can be a missmatch between the exhaust port height and the crankcase,in that case remove some material to raise the crankcase opening.
- the RC carb is very restrictive in its stock form. The bore it self is fine but the spray-bar is very large and that limits the effective area. This gives a good fuel draw and superb idle, but it reduces the top-end power. The RC carb from a MVVS .15 engine is direct drop-in though and it really improves the top-end (about 1400rpm boost on a 8x4 prop).

If you will run it as a CL engine, I guess the MVVS ventury will also fit, if you have one lying around.

Here is another model, the ball bearing version, with the later one-piece muffler and an MVVS carb on it. These are one of the best engines I have in terms of power too weight. It spins an APC 8x4 prop at around 15800rpm, while being close to an ASP .12 in terms of weight. Smile

Norvel 15 Big Mig Img_1410
Surfer_kris
Surfer_kris
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ian1954 Fri May 13, 2016 5:57 pm

I always like reading the engine tips and modifications based on "real life" experience. It saves hours of fiddling about!

I like to say that I tend to keep my engines as original as possible rather than eke out more power unless the engine isn't fit for purpose. With this engine, I bought it because Norvels are quite difficult to get in the UK and I wanted a good look at one.

The casting on this is superb - casting lines and webs are all straight, no dings or casting faults and the surfaces are all even. It is on a par with the Stalkers I am putting together - very crisp.

The machining inside is very fine. As soon as anyone says it is a Russian engine - I think of my collection of the lumpy, bumpy and very utilitarian engines and grimace.

The Norvels are fine pieces of machining - I am on the lookout now for the AX40 and the GX40BB.

Distributors are very tight lipped on their engine sources but I am convinced that the Ukrainian engines - Profi, Fora and Stalker come fromm the same source. The Norvel castings have very similar characteristics. Then again, I look at a lot of engines from a builders point of view.
ian1954
ian1954
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  akjgardner Fri May 13, 2016 6:20 pm

Ian, If you like the Norvel .15 You need to try to get your hands on an.074.They will fly quite a big airplane for their size.
akjgardner
akjgardner
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down