Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Flight of my TSA 700N RC heli Cox_ba12

Flight of my TSA 700N RC heli Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Today at 10:20 pm

» Three -- sold out (making two more) Cox .010 Carburetors with wrench
by 1/2A Nut Today at 10:17 pm

» Happy Anzac Day!
by 706jim Today at 6:44 pm

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by MauricioB Today at 4:08 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 3:56 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by rsv1cox Today at 7:17 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Today at 6:20 am

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by Levent Suberk Today at 12:23 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Yesterday at 10:25 pm

» Micro Draco Gets to Fly on a Beautiful Morning.
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:15 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:06 pm

» Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 5:12 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Flight of my TSA 700N RC heli Empty
Live on Patrol

Flight of my TSA 700N RC heli

Go down

Flight of my TSA 700N RC heli Empty Flight of my TSA 700N RC heli

Post  TDbandit Fri May 20, 2016 12:51 am

Hi all I finally got a fairly descent video of me flying my new TSA 700N RC helicopter. This is a test flight to check the Idle-up modes which are required for stunt, however there was one small issue and that was engine surging. This heli is equipped with a governor which controls engine RPM and rotor head speed however the governor is very dependent on engine tune and the engine behaving to work properly and it wasn't behaving by surging up and down which could be the governor or a lean condition. This heli has my overhauled YS .91 engine in it which is pressure fuel injected and is sensitive to changes in fuel supply plus the engine is also quite sensitive to lean runs. A lean run in it's last home (Hirobo Freya X-spec) caused it to seize which required a complete overhaul. The head RPM is 1950rpm at the time of the video
Anyway enjoy! (Bandit)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7j3E8WGg4w&feature=youtu.be
TDbandit
TDbandit
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Flight of my TSA 700N RC heli Empty Re: Flight of my TSA 700N RC heli

Post  roddie Fri May 20, 2016 4:54 am

Hi Dave, Is it normal for YS/heli-engines to smoke that much? How much run-time is on the fuel-pump and on the engine since the rebuild?

Just grabbing at straws Dave.. silent I have no experience with RC carbs, heli's and their related gear. Yours is the only heli-chatter that I've witnessed here.. and it sucks worse when nobody offers any thoughts.

Last edited by roddie on Fri May 20, 2016 9:55 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : echoing Eric's thoughts from his following post)
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Fri May 20, 2016 7:14 am

Kind of what I was thinking Roddie , may be the engine needs more run time before I would go into the other issues you described (not knowing what I am talking about ) Glad to see you got that baby together and up in the air for a maiden . Keep us posted Dave , Eric RC Plane
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Fri May 20, 2016 11:01 am

I have no idea what's wrong either, but it's still cool a heck. Yeah, the smoke... do you have a lot of oil in the fuel or are you adding something extra to make smoke?
Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  badbill Fri May 20, 2016 11:49 am

He is running Cool Power Heli fuel, it has more oil and of a different viscosity- made for helis. The smoke is absolutely normal.
badbill
badbill
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  TDbandit Fri May 20, 2016 12:42 pm

As bad bill stated the smoke is totally normal. Helicopter engines require a different oil package to stay healthy 22% low viscosity full synthetic than our C/L engines or normal RC airplane engines so they smoke a whole lot. The reason is that helicopter engines have to turn a constant RPM in their sweet spot (power band) which is around 17,000rpm for this engine for extended periods of time without changing much which is the reason for the governor so the extra oil is needed to keep it lubed and cool.

@Roddie:
No problem man Smile The engine is rebuilt and has around an hour on it and is still RE-breaking in, the fuel regulator is built into the engine and was also rebuilt along with new seals for the carb, i'm also keeping an eye out for things coming loose on the heli lol.

@Getback:
The engine does need more time which is why i'm being gentle with it the surging however which did turn out to be fuel related and not the governor (Split in the pickup line inside the tank) was an area of concern because YS engines run fairly close tolerances and don't like excessive heat (kinda like our beloved Fox .35) and will seize and gall especially when new or new parts are installed when too hot and run lean. They are nice engines but are higher maintenance (Require regular fuel filter maintenance) and are tricky to setup properly but once set, they stay set. These engines also are very sensitive to any amount of dirt in the fuel and MUST use a good fuel filter.

@Rusty:
Yeah it flies well, still tweaking though, these things require a bit of patients to setup. Nothing is really wrong with the heli itself just the surging which i now have corrected. It is also a great gnat fogger lol. (Bandit)
TDbandit
TDbandit
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Fri May 20, 2016 1:30 pm

TD Bandit - You have my total admiration for your abilities to not only build that heli, but fly it and land it with out crashing!!  Glad to hear you found the split in the fuel tube, causing the problem. I don't know if it's just my iPad or if other systems do the same, but after watching your video, UTube brings up videos of a similar nature like this one:
TSA | Timo Cürlis - Infusion 700 E | HeliMasters 2012 - Music final flight
It's a electric powered heli, doing things that just seem unbelievable in the field of flight or aeronautics...it is very entertaining to watch and makes me wonder if a full size heli would be able to do the same movements, including inverted flight!  Thanks for sharing!
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  ian1954 Fri May 20, 2016 2:07 pm

I watched this and was impressed by the calmness of your piloting. Especially if this was a maiden.

The take off was smooth and straight up - all mine (electric) seem to involve a dart to one side.

ian1954
ian1954
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  TDbandit Fri May 20, 2016 2:38 pm

Marleysky wrote:TD Bandit - You have my total admiration for your abilities to not only build that heli, but fly it and land it with out crashing!!  Glad to hear you found the split in the fuel tube, causing the problem. I don't know if it's just my iPad or if other systems do the same, but after watching your video, UTube brings up videos of a similar nature like this one:
TSA | Timo Cürlis - Infusion 700 E | HeliMasters 2012 - Music final flight
It's a electric powered heli, doing things that just seem unbelievable in the field of flight or aeronautics...it is very entertaining to watch and makes me wonder if a full size heli would be able to do the same movements, including inverted flight!  Thanks for sharing!
I put tags in it to help find the video it's just youtube now. The electric heli's are a bit easier to set up and have more power but are expensive to build and to be able to fly for any amount of time you need multiple batteries. Full scale heli's in general can't do what RC heli's can this is due to the Rotor head and blades. Most full size helicopters use either fully articulated or semi-articulated heads to help with dampening, Fully articulated means that the blade grip flexes back and forth and up and down and the blade itself is ridged. Semi-articulated is the blade grip if im not mistaken moves back and forth but the blade has to be flexible for vertical dampening. Now there is a rigid rotor head that uses a floating spindle dampened by shock rings, this one is not common for full size helicopters since it would be too rough but is the norm for RC helicopters. The rigid head is what is required for the stunts you saw. If a full size heli tried to fly inverted, the blades would flex down and cut the tail boom off. There are some military heli's like the Apache or the Redbull helicopter that can do tumbles and rolls but they still cant hover or fly inverted. (Bandit)
TDbandit
TDbandit
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rat9000 Fri May 20, 2016 7:29 pm

TDbandit wrote:Hi all I finally got a fairly descent video of me flying my new TSA 700N RC helicopter. This is a test flight to check the Idle-up modes which are required for stunt, however there was one small issue and that was engine surging. This heli is equipped with a governor which controls engine RPM and rotor head speed however the governor is very dependent on engine tune and the engine behaving to work properly and it wasn't behaving by surging up and down which could be the governor or a lean condition. This heli has my overhauled YS .91 engine in it which is pressure fuel injected and is sensitive to changes in fuel supply plus the engine is also quite sensitive to lean runs. A lean run in it's last home (Hirobo Freya X-spec) caused it to seize which required a complete overhaul. The head RPM is 1950rpm at the time of the video
Anyway enjoy! (Bandit)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7j3E8WGg4w&feature=youtu.be
Ooo.Kyy,you totality lost me,but thats not hard to do!Stay after it Bandit....I seen that Rusty,you missed one drunken

Last edited by rat9000 on Tue May 24, 2016 2:40 am; edited 1 time in total
rat9000
rat9000
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Mon May 23, 2016 11:45 pm

Popcorn

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  TDbandit Tue May 24, 2016 12:34 pm

Sorry, I'm not very good at simple talk Sad I tend to get technical
What i was saying is if a common full size helicopter tried to do a loop, roll, hover upside down or tumble (Stationary flip) the rotor blades could/will flex down to the tail and chop it off causing a spectacular and often fatal crash. Helicopters do not have a gentle crash.
This is because the Rotor head has too much flex. The flex is needed to help smooth the ride and help with control stability.
(Bandit)
TDbandit
TDbandit
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down