Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register! Guests are limited to posting in the "General Questions (Guest Posting Allowed)" section only. Becoming a member is fast, easy and FREE!


Log in

I forgot my password

Search
 
 

Display results as :
 


Rechercher Advanced Search

Cox Engine of The Month
September-2017
Kim's

"Cox Conquest gets a Run-Up."



PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Tach Race 2017 Updates
Ready for Tach Race 2017?
Profile Scale Reed Speed
Gallery


Win This Engine!
The Traveling Prop
World of Aviation

2 part epoxy

View previous topic View next topic Go down

2 part epoxy

Post  oldguy on Tue Dec 27, 2016 6:05 pm

Hello guy's, is there something I can add to the 2 part epoxy to thin it out, so I can brush it on easier?
thanks.
avatar
oldguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Posts : 105
Join date : 2015-12-10
Age : 63
Location : arizona

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2 part epoxy

Post  Cribbs74 on Tue Dec 27, 2016 6:12 pm

Alcohol....not the drinking kind
avatar
Cribbs74
Moderator

Trusted Seller
Posts : 9492
Join date : 2011-10-24
Age : 43
Location : Tuttle, OK

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2 part epoxy

Post  oldguy on Tue Dec 27, 2016 6:13 pm

Thanks buddy.
avatar
oldguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Posts : 105
Join date : 2015-12-10
Age : 63
Location : arizona

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2 part epoxy

Post  Cribbs74 on Tue Dec 27, 2016 6:16 pm

No problem, to be more specific denatured alcohol. Acetone works as well. Both of these will weaken the epoxy somewhat.

The very best method would be heat. It doesn't weaken the bond and it flows like a thin syrup. You could use a heat gun or a double boiler.
avatar
Cribbs74
Moderator

Trusted Seller
Posts : 9492
Join date : 2011-10-24
Age : 43
Location : Tuttle, OK

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2 part epoxy

Post  NEW222 on Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:07 pm

Cribbs74 wrote:No problem, to be more specific denatured alcohol. Acetone works as well. Both of these will weaken the epoxy somewhat.

The very best method would be heat. It doesn't weaken the bond and it flows like a thin syrup. You could use a heat gun or a double boiler.

I have not done either method yet, but is it true that if heating it to flow, it also makes it 'kick' a bit faster than what it is rated for? This is just something I have read, but not yet tried myself. As well, I read in the same place not to dilute with alcohol or Acetone more than 10%? Also watching this thread. Thanks.
avatar
NEW222
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Posts : 1050
Join date : 2011-08-13
Age : 39
Location : oakbank, mb

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2 part epoxy

Post  Ken Cook on Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:41 pm

Bob Smith Finish - Cure is a 20 min resin that's very thin. It works well for lightweight glass.
avatar
Ken Cook
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Posts : 2772
Join date : 2012-03-27
Location : pennsylvania

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2 part epoxy

Post  akjgardner on Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:03 pm

I used alcohol thined epoxy on a pair of 1/2A floats . It worked very well , but the drying time is a lot longer then the epoxy without being thined
avatar
akjgardner
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Posts : 727
Join date : 2014-12-28
Age : 58
Location : Milan Indiana

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2 part epoxy

Post  pkrankow on Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:36 pm

Be careful heating fast epoxies, the reaction can become quite energetic. Smoking even. Slow epoxies respond better to thinning via heat.

Solvent thinning works well if a some strength loss is OK. There are quite a few solvents that will work well. I have used acetone and denatured alcohol myself. For fast epoxies (less than 15 minute) solvents are the only practical way to thin.

"Instant" epoxies do not thin well, but that is part of the 1 minute or less kick time. These usually have a mixing nozzle with the double tube.

Phil

avatar
pkrankow
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Posts : 2886
Join date : 2012-10-02
Location : Ohio

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2 part epoxy

Post  andrew on Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:30 pm

I have always coated firewalls and other areas that are exposed to raw fuel with epoxy. I use 30 to 45 minute cure times because it gives more work time and I think the longer cure epoxies are less brittle than the 5 minute or instant epoxies. That said, I prefer heat for thinning. After applying to the areas, I use a monokote gun to warm the epoxy to the point it begins to run slightly. This lets me move it over the part and into the crevices and joints where necessary. If it is a plywood firewall, the epoxy will actually begin to soak into the wood and when set, leave a smooth, glass like finish.
avatar
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Posts : 1220
Join date : 2011-08-11
Age : 69
Location : Western Kentucky

View user profile http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Re: 2 part epoxy

Post  oldguy on Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:50 pm

andrew wrote:I have always coated firewalls and other areas that are exposed to raw fuel with epoxy.  I use 30 to 45 minute cure times because it gives more work time and I think the longer cure epoxies are less brittle than the 5 minute or instant epoxies.  That said, I prefer heat for thinning.  After applying to the areas, I use a monokote gun to warm the epoxy to the point it begins to run slightly.  This lets me move it over the part and into the crevices and joints where necessary.  If it is a plywood firewall, the epoxy will actually begin to soak into the wood and when set, leave a smooth, glass like finish.

That is what I was going to do with it fuel proof some areas.

Sounds good.
avatar
oldguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Posts : 105
Join date : 2015-12-10
Age : 63
Location : arizona

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2 part epoxy

Post  RknRusty on Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:16 am

I just use a paint brush and dip it in acetone, then pick up the epoxy with the dripping wet brush and slather it on.

Or, a couple of heavy coats of Minwax polyurethane goes on easier and is pretty super fuelproof too. The pint cans are cheap. For LG holes, screw/bolt holes, etc., I also use a toothpick or a little dental cone brush(meant for flossing between the teeth) dipped in polyurethane too. It really soaks in good inside those bored holes and doesn't foul any threaded inserts or t-nuts as bad as epoxy can.
Rusty

_________________
Don't Panic!
...and never Ever think about how good you are at something...
while you're doing it!


My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
avatar
RknRusty
Moderator

Posts : 10363
Join date : 2011-08-10
Age : 61
Location : South Carolina, USA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2 part epoxy

Post  rsv1cox on Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:17 am

RknRusty wrote:I just use a paint brush and dip it in acetone, then pick up the epoxy with the dripping wet brush and slather it on.

Or, a couple of heavy coats of Minwax polyurethane goes on easier and is pretty super fuelproof too. The pint cans are cheap. For LG holes, screw/bolt holes, etc., I also use a toothpick or a little dental cone brush(meant for flossing between the teeth) dipped in polyurethane too. It really soaks in good inside those bored holes and doesn't foul any threaded inserts or t-nuts as bad as epoxy can.
Rusty

Pipe cleaners work well too for protecting LG and fuel line holes.  Use the ones that do not have wires embedded.  Walmart has them at the tobacco register.  They clean out head, case, and mounting holes too.  Use the tapered wire embeds for this task.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/B-J-LONG-TAPERED-STANDARD-PIPE-CLEANERS-100-BAG-/221791832518?hash=item33a3d2c9c6:g:K38AAOxy0NtTCe0q

http://www.ebay.com/itm/100-Pieces-White-12-Long-Chenille-Pipe-Gun-Cleaner-6mm-Stems-/161583506224?hash=item259f20a330:g:DJMAAOSwYGFUzzKJ

Bob
avatar
rsv1cox
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Posts : 2315
Join date : 2014-08-18
Location : West Virginia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2 part epoxy

Post  getback on Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:55 am

Cool , i haven't thought of this as i been using toothpicks and Q tips , i use to smoke pipes too . Bob your hitting a all around high for new ideas ; Keep um coming !! I Love This Forum!
avatar
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

Posts : 4165
Join date : 2013-01-18
Age : 60
Location : julian, n.c.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2 part epoxy

Post  fredvon4 on Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:22 pm

I build a lot of mostly Profile planes...

I use a hole punch with Blue painter tape to make a round DOT to keep Epoxy, primer, and paint out of the engine bearer and LG holes ---but I do always add thin CA to the hole

Some here may remember my query about a good CA glue that kicks off instantly......slow curing CA in a HOLE is as bad as Epoxy in the hole

Nice, thin, Instant setting CA, is mucho prefered and I am still having trouble getting any that smokes!!!
avatar
fredvon4
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Trusted Seller
Posts : 2098
Join date : 2011-08-26
Age : 62
Location : Lampasas Texas

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2 part epoxy

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum