Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

"Buskellised" ED Racer 2.49 diesel Cox_ba12

"Buskellised" ED Racer 2.49 diesel Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Foam hand kids glider converted to 0.049 CL
by roddie Today at 4:33 am

» Cox PT-19 Wing
by latole Today at 4:28 am

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Today at 2:54 am

» Golden Bee basic running problem
by roddie Yesterday at 10:51 pm

» Simple Gliders
by rdw777 Yesterday at 6:25 pm

» Weird search for a single comic from an old Mad Magazine
by Kim Yesterday at 1:44 pm

» Scientific "Zipper" Build...Zipper Flys!.
by getback Yesterday at 7:27 am

» Cox .049 Tee Dee engines back in stock (limited availablility)
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 1:05 am

» Very off-topic.........Time passes and not always for the best......
by rsv1cox Thu Jul 25, 2024 2:47 pm

» Jim Walker Bonanza etc.
by rsv1cox Wed Jul 24, 2024 6:30 pm

» Throttles for Cox Tee Dee .049 / .020 / .010 engines --- videos
by sosam117 Wed Jul 24, 2024 8:54 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Admin Tue Jul 23, 2024 2:00 am

Cox Engine of The Month
July-2024
robot797's

"ULTIMITE COX 010: it has a clutch, E starter, throttle, exhaust, aluminum tank, aluminum venturi, gearbox with forward and reverse, and now its on a custom drawn and printed stand"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

"Buskellised" ED Racer 2.49 diesel Empty
Live on Patrol

"Buskellised" ED Racer 2.49 diesel

Go down

"Buskellised" ED Racer 2.49 diesel Empty "Buskellised" ED Racer 2.49 diesel

Post  ian1954 Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:45 pm

Pete Buskell was a well recognised model engine tuner in the 50s and 60s. He built engines around the ED Racer

"Buskellised" ED Racer 2.49 diesel Buskel10

But his name was widely used in the term "buskellising" for modifying engines like the ED Racer.

Why modify one? Easy - the exhaust stacks while, to my eyes, are things of beauty concentrated noise and restricted the ability to tune these engines.

"Buskellised" ED Racer 2.49 diesel Exhaus10

That combined with the imposition of silencers made for a handsome but clumsy engine.

"Buskellised" ED Racer 2.49 diesel Silenc10

Not very practical for a combat model, unlikely to survive a prang and weighty!

I have found with diesels that the open cylinder distributes noise to a more acceptable level compared with a restricting stack but that is a matter of opinion.  

The Ed Racer was a popular engine and cheaper than an Oliver Tiger - there were plenty around and so a mod made sense. Not the easiest thing to do and I have seen very nasty looking homebrew examples but

"Buskellised" ED Racer 2.49 diesel Buskel11

"Buskellised" ED Racer 2.49 diesel Buskel12

I have a "buskellised" ED Racer now fitter with an Oliver Tiger muffler

"Buskellised" ED Racer 2.49 diesel Buskel13

I am looking forward to firing this one up before cleaning. This was one of those engines for sale that no one realised the significance of. Not valuable but historic.
ian1954
ian1954
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

"Buskellised" ED Racer 2.49 diesel Empty Re: "Buskellised" ED Racer 2.49 diesel

Post  roddie Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:40 am

Nice! That muffler looks good enough to have been original-equipment. Was it a production part made to fit, or completely homemade?
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

2024 Supporter

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  ian1954 Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:33 am

roddie wrote:Nice! That muffler looks good enough to have been original-equipment. Was it a production part made to fit, or completely homemade?

It is an Oliver Tiger muffler and not modified.
ian1954
ian1954
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:42 pm

ian1954 wrote:
roddie wrote:Nice! That muffler looks good enough to have been original-equipment. Was it a production part made to fit, or completely homemade?

It is an Oliver Tiger muffler and not modified.

Yes.. sorry I missed that. So... knowing that you're living a "bachelor" life-style currently... I'd be surprised if you haven't run the engine since posting.. Eyebrows You could attach a hose to that header... and direct the diesel-exhaust goo and noise down into a prepared pail.. while wearing polarized designer eye-protection...
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

2024 Supporter

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:56 am

Ian , would opening the exhaust up too much lose the restriction of comp. and cause the engine to have less power than more ? Hope you get to run it !
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:12 am

Ian, why the need for a muffler? Is this due to radial porting? Generally most of the diesels were running are very quiet aside from a few which generally are old school diesels. While I have seen a loss of performance, it seems to make up for it in reliability of starting due to heat retention.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:13 am

Ian,

A USA collector was selling his NIB collection of model engines and when I saw these I thought of you.

"British and Best."

"Buskellised" ED Racer 2.49 diesel B_engi10

"Buskellised" ED Racer 2.49 diesel B_engi11

The ED Super sold for $160.50 USD, the Snipe not so dear at $71.00.  

I opted for a couple of his Enya's with a price of admission considerably less.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  ian1954 Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:09 am

Ken Cook wrote:            Ian, why the need for a muffler? Is this due to radial porting? Generally most of the diesels were running are very quiet aside from a few which generally are old school diesels. While I have seen a loss of performance, it seems to make up for it in reliability of starting due to heat retention.

Generally, with a diesel there is no need for a muffler but try explaining that to local government officials in the late 60s who enforced noise regulations. Diesels are not quiet but the sound doesn't carry as far and as best as I can describe is a growl or a bark rather than a higher pitched whine.

Nevertheless, local government rules meant fitting a silencer whether it was needed or not. All the local flying fields I frequented as a young lad have been lost - the fields are there but IC engines are banned. Most clubs insist on silencers for fear of losing their license.

There was also another reason for fitting a muffler like this one and that was to divert the exhaust away from the engine area and over the wing.

Also - this applies to Oliver Tigers - the Combat Specials were also fitted with the muffler modified as below. There could not be much noise reduction but it had an effect on the engines efficiency flying combat.

"Buskellised" ED Racer 2.49 diesel Ollyco10

Some and this one is a Copeman tuned version has the outlets angled to increase the area

"Buskellised" ED Racer 2.49 diesel Olly10

I don't have any of these examples and, following the demise of Tom Ridley (he took over Oliver Tiger engine production and passed away last year), I am not likely to. Oliver Tiger engines have since sky rocketed in price.

The Copeman tuned engine above, well used, went for £192 in July last year and Tom Ridley produced Combat Specials for around
£220 (BNIB) - long waiting list though - the last one auctioned on Fleabay went for £320.

This is now typical for an Olly

"Buskellised" ED Racer 2.49 diesel Captur10

The Schneurle Cub was £195 BNIB early last year.

The ED Super Racer with the twin exhaust that Bob posted went for a very reasonable price - it would have been £150 - £170 in the UK but having that one shipped from the USA and the customs duty would have elevated it to $220.

If you note - I say price and not value. As you all know, I collect, build and restore engines. I love the feel, look and enjoy running them - soon I will be in a position to fly with some. I am prepared and have planned for it.

If the "buskellised" ED Racer is a runner then it is a prime candidate for the "Blue Pants" as an example.

But I am now horrified. The hobby we have turned into a sport that relied on having pots of money to compete. Competitive engines for stunt and combat are horrendously expensive. Carbon fibre this and that, ready built models costing thousands ........... maybe it was just me but I no longer saw that as a "hobby".

Then came "Vintage" and a retreat into "Old School". Not cheap (nothing is these days!) but affordable and a level playing filed not based on how much money you can throw at it. Don't misunderstand me - I think the top level flyers are extremely skilled but you need a lot of resources to get up there.

Vintage stunt - Vintage combat - bring it on!

Now there is a dilemma - when the price of what was a common vintage engine sky rockets - the "level playing field" disappears and the chances of new entrants is limited. Then there are collectors like me - I have over twenty Ollies plus several Olly clones that I picked up when no one really wanted them. Well, not sought after. My enjoyment is in looking at the progression and changes in an engine build over the years and being able to handle it close up and personal but they are not out there in the field. Yet!

It is strange what drives the engine market! MVVS 2.5cc engines - glow and diesel, Enya 2.5cc diesels are also commanding ridiculous prices and yet a couple of years ago they were available new! ETA engines have always been through the roof.

I find it odd that engines like the "buskellised" Racer slip though for peanuts. The muffler new was £18.50 and could be transferred to an Olly. The engine is historically rare and represents an era of change in the hobby.

I am rambling agian!

ian1954
ian1954
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down