Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register! Guests are limited to posting in the "General Questions (Guest Posting Allowed)" section only. Becoming a member is fast, easy and FREE!

Russian VA .020 engines - Page 4 Babe_b10

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2019
Tee Bee's

"This RR1 was restored for all the right reasons"

PAST WINNERS
Speed Contest 2019
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
The Traveling Prop
Gallery

Russian VA .020 engines - Page 4 Empty
World of Aviation

Russian VA .020 engines

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Russian VA .020 engines - Page 4 Empty Re: Russian VA .020 engines

Post  gkamysz on Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:31 am

Beazld wrote:I have heard rumors someone has done a diesel head conversion for the VA .020 and there are plans somewhere on the interweb.  Anyone know this to be a fact?  If so, can you direct me to the plans?
Thanks!

A friend has a diesel version he purchased many years ago. The head looks every bit VA original. The only other place I've seen one is this video. Same head, just with a tommy bar soldered in.

gkamysz
gkamysz
Silver Member
Silver Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Surfer_kris on Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:43 am

Yes, that looks like a VA original diesel head. Same construction as mine had on the .049 MkII engine.
Surfer_kris
Surfer_kris
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook on Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:31 am

Kris, I believe it was you that mentioned the piston rod assembly on the .020, is it the same as the .049? This design in my opinion is the shortcoming of the VA engine. While it serves a valueable purpose it doesn't last long at high rpm's. I trashed two MK II's as a result of that damn thing. From then on, I used red Loctite on them. I can't imagine that setup being long lived under diesel power. There's no fixing the problem once the wrist pin elongates that piece other than to replace it with a new part. We essentially tried to keep the .049's in the upper 28K range for longevity. The bottom line is that these engines were NOT designed for combat but for freeflight runs of only a few seconds at full power. When run for a full duration of a 1/2A match, the lifespan can certainly be decreased as the Gudgeon pin and landing wears out quickly and begins snapping and clicking. I do enjoy them and I love running them other than they bite fingers worse than any 1/2A engine I ever owned and that's wearing a glove.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Surfer_kris on Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:34 pm

I think the .020 has the same construction as the .049, but I haven't actually been able to take mine appart....
I simply cannot get the conrod to slip off from the crankpin, like one normally would (with the liner out).

On the MkI it was easier to separate the piston parts and then lock them with locktite. I haven't done that on my only MkII engine yet, need to do that, thanks for the reminder. Smile
Surfer_kris
Surfer_kris
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4