Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register! Guests are limited to posting in the "General Questions (Guest Posting Allowed)" section only. Becoming a member is fast, easy and FREE!

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Cox Engine of The Month
July-2017
Mark Boesen's

Nice original Babe Bee from a Super Cub 105, late fifties.

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Tach Race 2017 Updates
Ready for Tach Race 2017?
Profile Scale Reed Speed
Gallery

Win This Engine!
The Traveling Prop
World of Aviation

New TD .010 and Pee Wee .020 Planes

View previous topic View next topic Go down

New TD .010 and Pee Wee .020 Planes

Post  Tee Bee on Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:01 am

I've been restoring/repairing a lot of old Cox engines lately which has made me daydream about planes that would be a good match for whichever engine I was working on at the time. As I tinkered with refurbishing a couple of TD .010s, I realized that I didn't currently have an airworthy .010 plane. I also have a couple of Pee Wees that will be finished soon and I've never had a Pee Wee powered plane. I used to fly my LaStick with a TD .010 years ago when I built it. It was fun but performance was lackluster as my flying skills improved. I converted it to a TD .020 and have had a ball flying it lik
e that for years since. So, I started with the LaStick design and shrunk it to 75%. Reshaped the tail and eliminated the triangular wingtips to make it look a little less Stickish. Span will be about 15". Looks like they will be small and spritely to fly. Do you guys think the airfoil will work ok shrunk down like this without reshaping it? I once shrunk a model plan by 50%. The original was a super friendly docile flyer. The half-size version was very hot and would stall or snap at the drop of a hat if it was maneuvered abrubtly or slowed a bit too much in a turn. A completely different airplane than it's full size counterpart.
Tee Bee
Silver Member
Silver Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: New TD .010 and Pee Wee .020 Planes

Post  MauricioB on Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:20 am

Friend, thumb up !, I like your projects, I'll be watching your progress! ... good luck.
I'm still working on my two models for 0.049 and 0.051 ... a hug! Thumbs Up
MauricioB
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Tee Bee on Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:09 am

Thanks, Mauricio! I always enjoy watching your model vids on the tube. I already have a couple of projects in the works for a TD .020 and reedie .049. Stay tuned for those. These little guys are "extra" projects I'll be working on during the breaks. Smile Actually, I'm leaving town on a motorcycle trip, so the model building and Cox engine work should resume in a few weeks.
Tee Bee
Silver Member
Silver Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MauricioB on Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:12 am

Tee Bee wrote:Thanks, Mauricio!  I always enjoy watching your model vids on the tube.  I already have a couple of projects in the works for a TD .020 and reedie .049.  Stay tuned for those.  These little guys are "extra" projects I'll be working on during the breaks. Smile Actually, I'm leaving town on a motorcycle trip, so the model building and Cox engine work should resume in a few weeks.  

Thanks! I like to share the videos for just that other people can also appreciate the result and performance of these small engines, ie very small displacement. They are a little jewel
..... from here I wish you a happy trip !, surely in this same post we can see some photos of some parts of the tour! ... a hug!
MauricioB
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim on Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:25 am

It would appear that the upcoming S.M.A.L.L. Fly-In (I know: it's next year, but I like the   term) is gonna have a lot of hot little Bees blasting around the place....

P.S. Edit: Please take care on the bike !
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

I Support My Forum

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Tee Bee on Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:55 am

Yes and will do, Kim. Thumbs Up
Tee Bee
Silver Member
Silver Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  happydad on Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:55 pm

Tee Bee wrote:I've been restoring/repairing a lot of old Cox engines lately which has made me daydream about planes that would be a good match for whichever engine I was working on at the time.  As I tinkered with refurbishing a couple of TD .010s, I realized that I didn't currently have an airworthy .010 plane.  I also have a couple of Pee Wees that will be finished soon and I've never had a Pee Wee powered plane.  I used to fly my LaStick with a TD .010 years ago when I built it.  It was fun but performance was lackluster as my flying skills improved.  I converted it to a TD .020 and have had a ball flying it lik
e that for years since.  So, I started with the LaStick design and shrunk it to 75%.  Reshaped the tail and eliminated the triangular wingtips to make it look a little less Stickish.  Span will be about 15".  Looks like they will be small and spritely to fly.  Do you guys think the airfoil will work ok shrunk down like this without reshaping it?  I once shrunk a model plan by 50%.  The original was a super friendly docile flyer.  The half-size version was very hot and would stall or snap at the drop of a hat if it was maneuvered abrubtly or slowed a bit too much in a turn.  A completely different airplane than it's full size counterpart.  

I always thought a good rule of thumb was the wing chord should be 1/4 to 1/3 the length of the plane frame. It looks a little short to me.
My personal view. happydad
happydad
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I Support My Forum

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  xplaneguy on Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:45 pm

Keep building; remember....we need a 100+ next year! Wink

Evelyn and I wish you and Angie safe travels. Have fun!! Smile
xplaneguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

View user profile http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=263724

Back to top Go down

Post  Tee Bee on Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:46 am

Thanks! I hope Evelyn is having a good summer. Angie's not going on this trip. Since she got asthma a few years back, she doesn't do well at high elevations. Ended up in the hospital last time we camped up there with very low O2 in her blood and dehydrated. I had to take her down to 5000ft to get her better. Since then, she's been diagnosed and has meds for it but she's working to build up her lung capacity with more exercise before trying the mountains again. I'm traveling with my friend, Rob, whom I used to work with. He rode with me last year to NM and CO and had a blast so decided to come along on another adventure. I have a much bigger and more challenging ride planned in 2 years, and he's feeling it out to see if that sort of thing is for him before committing. I should be back to work making balsa dust in a couple of weeks.
Tee Bee
Silver Member
Silver Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie on Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:28 am

Good luck on the road-trip Troy. I enjoyed reading your recent posts on the prep, in Bob's motorcycle thread. Also.. great job on the testing of the new NVA/venturi from EXmodel Engines! I'll be curious to see the progression of this airplane when you return.
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

View user profile http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top