Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

What NOT to do to your Sterling P-38 Cox_ba12

What NOT to do to your Sterling P-38 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» #Abortion pills in Dubai#+277-32027887 Abortion pills for sale in Dubai
by kasm Yesterday at 11:51 pm

» Original Box for P-51 Bendix Trophy Racer Value
by Wayne Brown Yesterday at 11:09 pm

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by MauricioB Yesterday at 5:40 pm

» Cox P-51 Bendix Trophy Racer
by Wayne Brown Yesterday at 5:39 pm

» thread measurements
by MauricioB Yesterday at 5:33 pm

» Cox Thompson Trophy Winner
by Jerry Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» COX 010 TeeDee with RC carb, courtesy sosam 117
by rdw777 Yesterday at 3:08 pm

» "Me and Crazy Horse...Our Anniversary"
by fit90 Yesterday at 2:52 pm

» a cheap sport muffler
by robot797 Yesterday at 1:34 pm

» OS 10FSR Carb Needed
by Cougar 429 Yesterday at 1:14 pm

» AP .061 Hornet
by F4D Phantom II Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:01 pm

» dozens of old .049 TeeDee's, Medallions and a few others
by rsv1cox Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:46 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

What NOT to do to your Sterling P-38 Empty
Live on Patrol

What NOT to do to your Sterling P-38

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

What NOT to do to your Sterling P-38 Empty What NOT to do to your Sterling P-38

Post  Ken Cook Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:04 pm

Today the Philly Fliers were supposed to attend the Reading, PA Flying Dutchmen Fly In. We typically visit this site twice a year. I'm fortunate to also be a member of this club which allows me access. Due to a unexpected event, the day was cancelled and postponed until next week. Seeing that I was already loaded and had all intentions of going I went to see a few other members. I had this Sterling P-38 for quite some time. It was in need of repairs and I invested a lot of time over the past two weeks doing the needed repair work. All silkspan was corrected and repaired with all of the repairs essentially unoticeable. Power is two Max-S .10's. A perfect match for this plane in terms of power and weight. The outboard engine though was really cranking. I think something on the ground caught the line, it didn't offer a abrupt jerk but it certainly turned in. My son regained control about 180 deg on the other side but the jerk really did something to the controls. The plane however appeared as if all was good flying level. It then turned nose high doing a wingover coming back to me. At first it looked intentional but then it was obvious that there was something not entirely correct. Well it struck the asphalt exploding the plane leaving a debris of wreckage for nearly 30 ft. It was spectacular that's for certain. The one engine took a hard hit and I haven't had a chance to look at it.  It was a sad ending to a plane I have owned for a long time  This one hurts. I don't know why but I had a attachment to a very horrible flying plane. I just liked it nonetheless. This is how you do a fine job of wrecking a plane. It went right into the trash can. The fact that I lost the Veco nose wheel upset me the most. We looked all over for it but it was non existent.

What NOT to do to your Sterling P-38 Image111

What NOT to do to your Sterling P-38 Image211
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

What NOT to do to your Sterling P-38 Empty Re: What NOT to do to your Sterling P-38

Post  Marleysky Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:53 pm

Ken, Sorry for your loss.  

Unwritten rules: Cribbs Rule #2 Never get emotionally attached to your models. Addendum to rule 2:Always double check your attachment to the plane at both the handle and Bellcrank.

DAMMIT!

Former sales managers rule for success: if you fail....Fail Spectacularly! Nice Pictures.

Current Hobby Shop employee:  Never reuse a motor or hardware from a crashed plane,
They're haunted, and will crash again.
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

What NOT to do to your Sterling P-38 Empty Re: What NOT to do to your Sterling P-38

Post  NEW222 Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:57 pm

Ouch. Sorry to see this as I too know it sucks when you plant one in!
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  akjgardner Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:20 pm

Sorry about the loss of your Airplane..........The Guy who taught me How to fly RC told me along time ago , there's an experation date stamp somewhere in every one of these airplanes , we just don't where.
akjgardner
akjgardner
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:41 pm

It's been a long time since we had a crash. In combat, that's just a part of it but stunt and sport is different. It happens, I'm over it just made room for more that's all. I unbolted the engines, all is good aside from some damage on the drive washer which is superficial. I had posted this plane on here a few years ago. I don't really know how to go about finding them but if someone comes across it that would be cool. I don't have any pictures of it other than these. I believe they were in a posting that George Hostler made and seeing he's gone I suspect the posts are as well.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:30 pm

Geez.. sorry Ken. That sucks. There weren't a whole lot of twin-engine C/L designs kitted.. and I'm sure that had a lot to do with your attachment.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:39 pm

Go big or go home! Excellent work, sucks, but you did it right.

When was the last time the Bellcrank was inspected? Maybe the glue let go? Glad the engines survived, that is a miracle in itself over concrete.

Like you said, more room.

George's threads/posts are all intact...
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  MauricioB Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:48 pm

I add to the feeling of bitterness that you feel when you star a model ... as I read out there: "is said not to stick to a model," but it is inevitable. One is very keen, very enthusiastic and feeling, also money ... when this happens, it hurts, it is inevitable, it will be possible to discuss if it was the fault of the pilot, if it was a failure in some component of the model, etc. , but still being innocent the pilot himself, hit and / or break a model, it hurts, anywhere in the world. Sad
MauricioB
MauricioB
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  londke3 Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:28 am

Ken, if you make it to Huntersville I will give you a fully built replacement. I have one on the board ready for covering but was given a finished P-38 by Jeff Traxler at the Nats. I don't really need 2 of them. It just needs engines, tanks and wheels and its good to go. I would maybe open it up and check the bellcrank but other than that it is not a bad looking model. It certainly can be airworthy in less time that it takes to score a new kit and build it. It's yours if you want it, and it will make room in my shop for something else. You'd be doing me a favor. I can even send it back with one of the Philly guys if you and Shawn can't make it down.
londke3
londke3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:14 pm

Mike, indeed a generous offer. I'm having issues with getting time off. Decisions are always made at the last second and no one really cares about us, just get the job done. I put it in their heads a month ago and some that decided to take vacation have now found themselves unemployed on their return.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  londke3 Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:47 pm

Ken Cook wrote:        Mike, indeed a generous offer. I'm having issues with getting time off. Decisions are always made at the last second and no one really cares about us, just get the job done. I put it in their heads a month ago and some that decided to take vacation have now found themselves unemployed on their return.
I'll bring it and send with one of the Philly guys if you don't make it. I don't need 2.
londke3
londke3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:29 pm

Anything with "P-38" in the headline always gets my attention.

I share your grief in losing that P-38 Ken and your long-time attachment to it. My P-38 is my first scratch built model and my favorite. I flew it often many years ago when my skills were better and it never failed me. I would not dare fly it today, not because of it, but because of me. It's gone through several Cox engines but the airframe is the same as I built it some 45 years ago.

I keep it close as a reminder of better times.

What NOT to do to your Sterling P-38 P-38-s10
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  londke3 Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:15 pm

Way cool model!!!!!! What kit? Guillows?
londke3
londke3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:56 pm

Oh, I'm so sorry to see you lose a good old plane. I find it a tiny bit easier to swallow when it's an equipment failure than pilot error. I think I've only ever had one of those confirmed mechanical failures lead to total destruction. Still, either way, it's sadly gone.

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:43 am

londke3 wrote:Way cool model!!!!!! What kit? Guillows?

Hi Mike, If your referring to my P-38, it's scratch-built with a semi-symmetrical built up wing, stick sheet covered twin booms and a hollow log cockpit.  I modeled it after the later "J" model with the larger chin type engine enclosures required to house the inverted Cox engines.

The streamlined nacelles' of the earlier models were to small to fit the larger tanked Cox engines but I think I could have got a couple of Babe Bee's in there if I had chosen to go that route.  

As is, it's way to heavy to do anything other than rounds and rounds.  Sad

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  londke3 Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:21 pm

rsv1cox wrote:
londke3 wrote:Way cool model!!!!!! What kit? Guillows?

Hi Mike, If your referring to my P-38, it's scratch-built with a semi-symmetrical built up wing, stick sheet covered twin booms and a hollow log cockpit.  I modeled it after the later "J" model with the larger chin type engine enclosures required to house the inverted Cox engines.

The streamlined nacelles' of the earlier models were to small to fit the larger tanked Cox engines but I think I could have got a couple of Babe Bee's in there if I had chosen to go that route.  

As is, it's way to heavy to do anything other than rounds and rounds.  Sad

Bob
Yep, I missed that in the post. Skimmed right over it. Anyway very cool model. I've never had the inclination to scratch build anything. I'm too lazy.
londke3
londke3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  londke3 Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:49 pm

Ken, your replacement P-38 is packed and will be on its way to Huntersville tomorrow.
londke3
londke3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:58 am

londke3 wrote:Ken, your replacement P-38 is packed and will be on its way to Huntersville tomorrow.

Ken, it is good that you're getting a replacement, hope it helps fill the void left by loosing your first one.        Don't feel to bad, look what Uncle Sam did with his P-38's.....

What NOT to do to your Sterling P-38 Img_0012
 What NOT to do to your Sterling P-38 Img_0110
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:21 am

Picture makes a grown man cry. Look at all the trouble they went to rescruing Glacier Girl from the Greenland ice cap years ago. Buried under a couple of hundred feet of snow and ice it was recovered and restored to flying condition.

They they could have just cherry picked one off the pile.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  londke3 Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:21 am

Ken, your airplane is in the hands of Dan Banjok. Enjoy.
londke3
londke3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:43 pm

Mike, thank you for doing that. Dan had called me earlier in the week as I was supposed to go over to his house. I never made it so he was never made aware that his van was going to be hauling that back here. I'm certain he wasn't happy. I don't know if he's back home yet, but I will call him later tonight. Thanks again Mike. Shawn and I will wring it out.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  londke3 Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:58 pm

He didn't seen to mind, he had room for it.
londke3
londke3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:12 pm

Mike, I picked up the plane last evening. Looks pretty cool, I will look into it this weekend. Thanks, Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:25 pm

Here's the new one  What NOT to do to your Sterling P-38 Dscn2710     Installed new bellcrank and leadouts. Wing had to be recovered. Cleaned up all joints in the sheeting and insured bellcrank mounting was sufficient. Installed the old Veco Wheels on this one. A special thanks goes out to Mike Londke for providing the model and Roddie for offering some plan info. This plane is designed to be covered first with silkspan and then the fuselage halves get mounted. A truly poor method. I glued 1/2" sheeting on each side of the fuse cut out offering a sufficient nailer to attach the covering.  What NOT to do to your Sterling P-38 Dscn2711

Plugged all the holes in the bearers and redrilled for the OS MAX .10's. Need to mount the tanks and give it a go. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:44 pm

I'm eagerly awaiting a video Ken, hopefully with sound. I would love to hear those OS 10's synced up and see the P-38 doing rounds and rounds. .

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next