Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register! Guests are limited to posting in the "General Questions (Guest Posting Allowed)" section only. Becoming a member is fast, easy and FREE!

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Cox Pee Wee engine kit #110 instructions
by Jason_WI Today at 10:50 pm

» Old Cox 049 will not hold RPM
by RknRusty Today at 9:18 pm

» 150,000 Posts!
by RknRusty Today at 7:05 pm

» Sterling engine
by Oldenginerod Today at 6:08 pm

» Mystery motor
by Oldenginerod Today at 5:57 pm

» Picked up something cool today
by 66 Malibu Today at 5:34 pm

» $15 Space Bug
by rsv1cox Today at 3:07 pm

» BHM Mosquito in MS-build
by londke3 Today at 2:46 pm

» Rare cox ??
by ticomareado Today at 12:15 pm

» NANO's .01 /.02 /.05 Sizes & Vidz Speed Planes
by 1/2A Nut Today at 9:48 am

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2018
706jim's

"Pee Wee powered witch"

PAST WINNERS
Speed Contest 2018
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
The Traveling Prop
Gallery

World of Aviation

P-38 Lightning-Roddie style..

Page 7 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Go down

Re: P-38 Lightning-Roddie style..

Post  Oldenginerod on Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:34 pm

Don't rush it Roddie just because of the membership thing. Fly when you're prepared, not just because of a certain date. If you feel you really need to fly, do so with a plane you don't love so much. Sounds like you have a few options. You've put a lot of effort into the Lightning. Don't hurry & spoil things.
Oldenginerod
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 on Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:57 pm

Remove the rubber engine mounts. Engines need to be mounted solid or they will vibrate like crazy and cause really crappy runs.

Looks like you are almost there. Is this going to result in some actual air time? Wink
Cribbs74

Trusted Seller

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 on Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:17 pm

Looking very good there with the progress. Somehow I have missed this thread for a bit. However just a note for next time. I just cleaned up a product engine with horseshoe backplate last week. I already knew not to put plastic parts in the crock pot, so instead, I opted to put all my plastic bits into a baby food jar with some nitro fuel. I left them overnight and used a toothbrush on them in the morning, and everything came off very easily with no effort. Just throwing out another option.
NEW222
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  getback on Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:04 am

Cribbs74 wrote:Remove the rubber engine mounts. Engines need to be mounted solid or they will vibrate like crazy and cause really crappy runs.

Looks like you are almost there. Is this going to result in some actual air time? Wink
I was wondering about that same thing ,, Roddie just glass the holes over with some CA will work fine . As was said get something in the air before trying to fly the twin will give you some handle time you haven't had in a LOOONG time . The bird is looking good ! Beer Cheers
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie on Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:24 am

Ken Cook wrote:Your really overthinking this. Add more tip weight. 3/4 oz. to start and retract as needed.

Yes.. unfortunately it's my nature. I wasn't planning to apply any outboard tip-weight.. because of the control-system hardware being located on the "outboard" wing-panel.. and the elevator-pushrod running down the inside of the outboard tail-boom. I suppose I should "play it safe".. and add some tip-weight.

A while back, I bought a package of "Pine-car" weights. Four individual segments weighs .25oz. (approx. 8gr.) which would seem more than enough for a model of this size; given the weight-offset of the pushrod.

Post-paint weight currently is just under 5oz.

This means I sprayed almost .8oz. of paint (primer/base-color) on the model thus far. Below is the pre-paint weight..

This would put the model currently at around 10oz. "LESS" trim-accents and clear-coat/fuel-proofing.
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

View user profile http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie on Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:28 pm

Oldenginerod wrote:Don't rush it Roddie just because of the membership thing.  Fly when you're prepared, not just because of a certain date.  If you feel you really need to fly, do so with a plane you don't love so much.  Sounds like you have a few options.  You've put a lot of effort into the Lightning.  Don't hurry & spoil things.

That's good advice Rod. I didn't plan on flying this model until I have some airtime on something that I know will fly.. without being a handful.
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie on Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:40 pm

Cribbs74 wrote:Remove the rubber engine mounts. Engines need to be mounted solid or they will vibrate like crazy and cause really crappy runs.

Hi Ron, I'll heed your advice regarding the sheet-rubber covering the firewalls. It was done in "haste" one night. I hope to fly this airplane soon.. but not until I've flown something more familiar. It's been a while...
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7