Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

P-38 Lightning-Roddie style..  - Page 7 Cox_ba12

P-38 Lightning-Roddie style..  - Page 7 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by balogh Today at 12:55 am

» Original Box for P-51 Bendix Trophy Racer Value
by Wayne Brown Yesterday at 11:09 pm

» Cox P-51 Bendix Trophy Racer
by Wayne Brown Yesterday at 5:39 pm

» thread measurements
by MauricioB Yesterday at 5:33 pm

» Cox Thompson Trophy Winner
by Jerry Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» COX 010 TeeDee with RC carb, courtesy sosam 117
by rdw777 Yesterday at 3:08 pm

» "Me and Crazy Horse...Our Anniversary"
by fit90 Yesterday at 2:52 pm

» a cheap sport muffler
by robot797 Yesterday at 1:34 pm

» OS 10FSR Carb Needed
by Cougar 429 Yesterday at 1:14 pm

» AP .061 Hornet
by F4D Phantom II Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:01 pm

» dozens of old .049 TeeDee's, Medallions and a few others
by rsv1cox Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:46 pm

» Re-manufactured Enya .06-II for Boats13
by Boats13 Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:32 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

P-38 Lightning-Roddie style..  - Page 7 Empty
Live on Patrol

P-38 Lightning-Roddie style..

Page 7 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

P-38 Lightning-Roddie style..  - Page 7 Empty Re: P-38 Lightning-Roddie style..

Post  Oldenginerod Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:34 pm

Don't rush it Roddie just because of the membership thing. Fly when you're prepared, not just because of a certain date. If you feel you really need to fly, do so with a plane you don't love so much. Sounds like you have a few options. You've put a lot of effort into the Lightning. Don't hurry & spoil things.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:57 pm

Remove the rubber engine mounts. Engines need to be mounted solid or they will vibrate like crazy and cause really crappy runs.

Looks like you are almost there. Is this going to result in some actual air time? Wink
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:17 pm

Looking very good there with the progress. Somehow I have missed this thread for a bit. However just a note for next time. I just cleaned up a product engine with horseshoe backplate last week. I already knew not to put plastic parts in the crock pot, so instead, I opted to put all my plastic bits into a baby food jar with some nitro fuel. I left them overnight and used a toothbrush on them in the morning, and everything came off very easily with no effort. Just throwing out another option.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:04 am

Cribbs74 wrote:Remove the rubber engine mounts. Engines need to be mounted solid or they will vibrate like crazy and cause really crappy runs.

Looks like you are almost there. Is this going to result in some actual air time? Wink
I was wondering about that same thing ,, Roddie just glass the holes over with some CA will work fine . As was said get something in the air before trying to fly the twin will give you some handle time you haven't had in a LOOONG time . The bird is looking good ! Beer Cheers
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:24 am

Ken Cook wrote:Your really overthinking this. Add more tip weight. 3/4 oz. to start and retract as needed.

Yes.. unfortunately it's my nature. I wasn't planning to apply any outboard tip-weight.. because of the control-system hardware being located on the "outboard" wing-panel.. and the elevator-pushrod running down the inside of the outboard tail-boom. I suppose I should "play it safe".. and add some tip-weight.

A while back, I bought a package of "Pine-car" weights. Four individual segments weighs .25oz. (approx. 8gr.) which would seem more than enough for a model of this size; given the weight-offset of the pushrod.

P-38 Lightning-Roddie style..  - Page 7 Pineca10

Post-paint weight currently is just under 5oz.

P-38 Lightning-Roddie style..  - Page 7 Weight16

This means I sprayed almost .8oz. of paint (primer/base-color) on the model thus far. Below is the pre-paint weight..

P-38 Lightning-Roddie style..  - Page 7 Weight17

This would put the model currently at around 10oz. "LESS" trim-accents and clear-coat/fuel-proofing.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:28 pm

Oldenginerod wrote:Don't rush it Roddie just because of the membership thing.  Fly when you're prepared, not just because of a certain date.  If you feel you really need to fly, do so with a plane you don't love so much.  Sounds like you have a few options.  You've put a lot of effort into the Lightning.  Don't hurry & spoil things.

That's good advice Rod. I didn't plan on flying this model until I have some airtime on something that I know will fly.. without being a handful.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:40 pm

Cribbs74 wrote:Remove the rubber engine mounts. Engines need to be mounted solid or they will vibrate like crazy and cause really crappy runs.

Hi Ron, I'll heed your advice regarding the sheet-rubber covering the firewalls. It was done in "haste" one night. I hope to fly this airplane soon.. but not until I've flown something more familiar. It's been a while...
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:43 am

I removed the rubber pads from the firewalls per Ron Cribbs' advice.. and filled the unused mount-pattern holes to avoid oil-seepage per Eric's advice.

The finish had some rough-spots.. which I sanded-out with 400 paper. I plan on spraying another coat today. The weather is nice enough.

P-38 Lightning-Roddie style..  - Page 7 Dsc05712

Here's a close-up of how my tank(s) will mount. The fuel-lines are a short/straight-shot to the carb.

P-38 Lightning-Roddie style..  - Page 7 Dsc05713

I'll be doing some mods to the gear-struts. They need small (#2) steel flat-washers soldered onto the axles because of the thin wheels that I plan on using.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:50 pm

roddie wrote:

The finish had some rough-spots.. which I sanded-out with 400 paper. I plan on spraying another coat today. The weather is nice enough.

P-38 Lightning-Roddie style..  - Page 7 Dsc05712

I'll be doing some mods to the gear-struts. They need small (#2) steel flat-washers soldered onto the axles because of the thin wheels that I plan on using.

Really nice weather here in New England/Northern Rhode Island today. I shot another (2nd) coat of "base-color" on the model outdoors.

P-38 Lightning-Roddie style..  - Page 7 5-p38_10
P-38 Lightning-Roddie style..  - Page 7 5-p38_11

That will be the last application of base-color. The only other pigmented paint to be applied, will be some sort of canopy detail (framework) along with a reflective color of the sky. I've never applied that technique.. but several of "you guys" have.. and I really like how it looks. I've thought about a "red-orange" to depict a sunset-flight.

As for the gear-struts.. I struggled with soldering steel flat-washers onto the .062" music-wire. It sucked actually.. Laughing

so... I decided to use my awesome brain-power to devise a different method.. Laughing Laughing

I had some .005" sheet-brass that could be made-into flat-washers using a paper-punch.. (the paper-punch is your friend..) I first "pierced" the brass-sheet with a small awl.. (a thumb-tack would also work) and lined-up the eye of the punch to cut the pieces out. I have a "strong-grip".. but it's not very difficult to punch .005" sheet-brass using a hole-punch. Then........ I placed my 1/16" music-wire axle-shaft over the piercing.. and hammered it through.. over a block of wood. This forms a snug-fit of the axle; through the brass-washer, which is desirable for soldering. The application of flux is imperative for cleaning the two metals for flowing the solder to bond them together.

P-38 Lightning-Roddie style..  - Page 7 Dsc05714
P-38 Lightning-Roddie style..  - Page 7 Dsc05715
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  944_Jim Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:13 pm

Good job!
I also use silver-bearing solder for this purpose.
I used .005 tin plate from Hobby Lobby for my axle washers. It is the same stuff for my fuel tank-making.

What brand are you using?
I'm searching for something a little less aggressive than plumber's flux. My latest brand is NoKorode.

Thanks in advance

944_Jim
944_Jim
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:57 am

944_Jim wrote:Good job!
I also use silver-bearing solder for this purpose.
I used .005 tin plate from Hobby Lobby for my axle washers. It is the same stuff for my fuel tank-making.

What brand  are you using?
I'm searching for something a little less aggressive than plumber's flux. My latest brand is NoKorode.

Thanks in advance

Hi Jim, "Thanks"! This .005" brass is "K & S" brand.

P-38 Lightning-Roddie style..  - Page 7 K__s_b10

I use .008" "Hillman" brand tin-plate for my fuel-tanks.

P-38 Lightning-Roddie style..  - Page 7 Hillma10

The tanks are plumbed with 1/8" annealed-copper tubing; the type sold at automotive stores for gages.

P-38 Lightning-Roddie style..  - Page 7 Sunpro12

The flux I use is "Rubyfluid".. made by Superior.

P-38 Lightning-Roddie style..  - Page 7 Rubyfl10
P-38 Lightning-Roddie style..  - Page 7 Rubyfl11
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  JPvelo Sun May 06, 2018 9:24 am

Looks good Roddie. I would give serious consideration to using starter springs on the engines. It would be very easy not to to notice an engine running backwards in the excitement of starting a multi engine model.

Jim
JPvelo
JPvelo
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sun May 06, 2018 9:59 pm

JPvelo wrote:Looks good Roddie. I would give serious consideration to using starter springs on the engines. It would be very easy not to to notice an engine running backwards in the excitement of starting a multi engine model.

Jim

Jim, Thanks so much for the compliment! I know you have the experience with Cox-engine powered multi's.. I wanted to run "zero-drag" springs on both engines.. but didn't have any L/H springs of that type. I manage pretty-well with my electric-starter. My experimental reed-valve test thread shows how I utilize the 12V. "fuel-pump" circuit/connection with its polarity-switch to alternate between right and left-hand rotations.

The "DAL"-brand props that I've been testing are SHARP. I've been bitten more than once.. so I'd rather use the electric-starter.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  JPvelo Mon May 07, 2018 1:02 am

I see, should be no problem with the starter.
JPvelo
JPvelo
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sun May 20, 2018 8:25 pm

Not much progress to report.. but I added an outboard "wing-tip-weight" to the model. What you see in the "pics" are .75" diameter-3mm thickness aluminum discs. They are center-drilled .125"... so a 5-40 machine-screw and nut, holds it together.

P-38 Lightning-Roddie style..  - Page 7 O-b_ti10
P-38 Lightning-Roddie style..  - Page 7 Tip-we10
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Mon May 21, 2018 7:45 pm

Roddie, I'm not criticizing your design so don't take it that way. It's creating drag and it looks bulky. One of those weights can be smacked with a hammer and made paper thin. Bury it into the wood by either using hinge tools and insert it into the wingtip end or pare it into the wing itself. You need only about 5 grams of tip weight if you even need that. I would use 5 to start with.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Tue May 22, 2018 5:35 pm

Ken Cook wrote:            Roddie, I'm not criticizing your design so don't take it that way. It's creating drag and it looks bulky. One of those weights can be smacked with a hammer and made paper thin. Bury it into the wood by either using hinge tools and insert it into the wingtip end or pare it into the wing itself. You need only about 5 grams of tip weight if you even need that. I would use 5 to start with.

Hi Ken, I wasn't originally going to add any tip-weight. My 1/16" music-wire pushrod and bellcrank assembly will be mounted "just inside" of the outboard boom/nacelle.. which is a point; 3+ inches outboard of the model's centerline. That assembly weighs 8 grams.. but it's spread between the bellcrank and elevator-horn.. rather than concentrated out at the wingtip.

The aluminum discs are 3mm (.118") thick which is what my wing is.. and .750" diameter. Imbedding one into the wing wouldn't be difficult.

roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Wed May 23, 2018 6:51 am

Ken Cook wrote:            Roddie, I'm not criticizing your design so don't take it that way. It's creating drag and it looks bulky. One of those weights can be smacked with a hammer and made paper thin. Bury it into the wood by either using hinge tools and insert it into the wingtip end or pare it into the wing itself. You need only about 5 grams of tip weight if you even need that. I would use 5 to start with.

I thought the same as Ken Roddie. It just looks awkward. A steel washer or coin glued on would be a whole lot neater and far more streamlined.

Rod.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sat May 26, 2018 10:51 pm

Oldenginerod wrote:

I thought the same as Ken Roddie.  It just looks awkward.  A steel washer or coin glued on would be a whole lot neater and far more streamlined.

Rod.

That's cool dudes... no offense taken. I have been busy with "work".. which is "really good". Model-work has been on the back-burner.. Tonight I bored a .750" hole through my model's outboard wing.. near the tip, for inserting a "single" aluminum disc for wingtip weight.

P-38 Lightning-Roddie style..  - Page 7 Dsc05811P-38 Lightning-Roddie style..  - Page 7 Dsc05810

I'll figure-out how to finish around the voids..
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sat May 26, 2018 11:25 pm

Are you using the disc as tip weight? Or are you attaching weight to the disc?

Edit: I should have read closer. How much does that disc weigh?
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sun May 27, 2018 7:54 pm

Cribbs74 wrote: How much does that disc weigh?

A single aluminum disc weighs 1gr. I might be better off using two pennies. A single penny weighs 2grams. Pennies are also the same .750" diameter as the aluminum disc. The aluminum is .080" thickness and a penny is thinner @.055". My sheet-wing is .120" thickness.. so two pennies will fit in the slot.. with .010" to spare.

P-38 Lightning-Roddie style..  - Page 7 O-b_ti11
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

P-38 Lightning-Roddie style..  - Page 7 Empty my 2 cents..

Post  roddie Mon May 28, 2018 12:06 pm

Two Cents  literally.. Smile

P-38 Lightning-Roddie style..  - Page 7 O-b_ti12
P-38 Lightning-Roddie style..  - Page 7 O-b_ti13
P-38 Lightning-Roddie style..  - Page 7 O-b_ti14
P-38 Lightning-Roddie style..  - Page 7 O-b_ti15
P-38 Lightning-Roddie style..  - Page 7 O-b_ti16
P-38 Lightning-Roddie style..  - Page 7 O-b_ti17

Despite the 1/64" ply tip-braces top/bottom.. I've managed to snap-off the outboard balsa wingtip twice so far. Mad
The braces were needed because of the balsa wingtip to basswood wing-core joint. The wing's "2-piece" leading and trailing edges are also balsa. The wing "core" is 3mm sheet basswood; 2.375" x 24.0". The 1.0" balsa tips make the total wingspan 26.0".
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

P-38 Lightning-Roddie style..  - Page 7 Empty a little more work..

Post  roddie Thu May 31, 2018 9:29 pm

It won't be long before this model will be ready to fly.. but I started a new job 3 weeks ago, running a BIG CNC router. That's taken a bit of my time and concentration.

The P-38 had been put on the back-burner.. but I have managed to "chip-away" at some of the lingering details over the last few days.

The O/B wingtip-weight was reworked a few days ago.. so now I've been focusing on my landing-gear/wheel design. It's a very lightweight/streamlined set-up that I'd been wanting to "complete" and install.. to see if it seems "rugged-enough" to sustain the snags of grass-landings. R.O.G. launches will need to be from a relatively smooth surface.

I "dipped" my wheels in the oil-based Rust-Oleum flat-black paint.. and made a fixture for them to dry.  

P-38 Lightning-Roddie style..  - Page 7 Dsc05816

After 24hrs. drying-time.. I needed to fit alloy tube hub-bushings to reduce-down from a 1/8" hub-hole; for a 1/16" music-wire axle.

The photo below, shows the wheels (with rubber O-ring tires installed) with their hubs bushed.. and fitted to the pre-made 1/16" music-wire struts/axles. All use the "Goldberg-style" spring-retainers for lightweight, reliability.. and simplicity.

P-38 Lightning-Roddie style..  - Page 7 Dsc05817

Mounting the struts to the models' gear-blocks is quick and easy. I'd made previsions for this early-on in the construction. I use the Dubro #158 "steel" landing-gear straps exclusively on my profile 1/2A C/L models.

P-38 Lightning-Roddie style..  - Page 7 158_st10

and I also exclusively use Dubro #107 1/2A control-horns on my profile 1/2A C/L models.

P-38 Lightning-Roddie style..  - Page 7 107_ha10

I've found these items to be staples for building my 1/2A C/L airplanes over the last 30 years. I can't say that about too many other hardware items.

Anyway (blah blah blah..) I decided to install the landing-gear, engines and fuel tanks.. to see how the model "balanced" and its weight.

Here's some photos..

P-38 Lightning-Roddie style..  - Page 7 Weight18

Ten and a half ounces.. not too bad. The 1/16" M/W pushrod is not installed.. but can be seen on the scale.. underneath the O/B engine.

P-38 Lightning-Roddie style..  - Page 7 Dsc05818
P-38 Lightning-Roddie style..  - Page 7 Dsc05819
P-38 Lightning-Roddie style..  - Page 7 Dsc05820
P-38 Lightning-Roddie style..  - Page 7 Dsc05821
P-38 Lightning-Roddie style..  - Page 7 Dsc05822

Lead-out guides are next on the agenda..
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Thu May 31, 2018 11:01 pm

She looks sweet, as well, it looks like it will 'fly right off the board'!
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:01 pm

Thanks very much Chancey!
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next