Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

What type of battery does this Cox item connect to? Cox_ba12

What type of battery does this Cox item connect to? Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Fox .35 Modifications
by Onelife Today at 9:18 pm

» Happy Anzac Day!
by 706jim Today at 6:44 pm

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by MauricioB Today at 4:08 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 3:56 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by rsv1cox Today at 7:17 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Today at 6:20 am

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by Levent Suberk Today at 12:23 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Yesterday at 10:25 pm

» Micro Draco Gets to Fly on a Beautiful Morning.
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:15 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:06 pm

» Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 5:12 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Yesterday at 3:39 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

What type of battery does this Cox item connect to? Empty
Live on Patrol

What type of battery does this Cox item connect to?

Go down

What type of battery does this Cox item connect to? Empty What type of battery does this Cox item connect to?

Post  halfpilot Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:01 pm

Hi guys,

I recently got myself a nice little lot of engines in disrepair along with some other bits. Among the many bits and pieces was this Cox battery connector. The two screws were originally attached to the wires of a Cox glow clip but I've removed them for clarity. One of the screws does double duty and clamps the wire inside the red plastic part. I assume these wires, and therefore that particular terminal, would normally conduct ground and the other conducts 1.5V. It's obviously intended to connect to a battery of some sort for heating glow heads.

Any idea what kind of battery this was intended to connect to? Perhaps I am overthinking things and the wires simply act as a clamp to attach it to a so called 'hobby battery' with the screws touching the terminals directly. Connection would be a lot more robust that way! I'll measure the distance between terminals in a second and compare to the specs of the hobby battery on the energizer website.

Edit: Nope, still a mystery. The terminals are too close together to connect to a 'hobby battery' and the semi circular lip would interfere with fit. It must be intended for something else.

Thanks,
Simon

What type of battery does this Cox item connect to? Dsc_0210
What type of battery does this Cox item connect to? Dsc_0211

Last edited by ThermalSniffer on Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:14 pm; edited 4 times in total
halfpilot
halfpilot
Formerly known as:
ThermalSniffer

Formerly known as:ThermalSniffer

Back to top Go down

What type of battery does this Cox item connect to? Empty Re: What type of battery does this Cox item connect to?

Post  Marleysky Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:45 pm

What are the dimensions? Would a standard C or D cell battery fit the clip??
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

What type of battery does this Cox item connect to? Empty Re: What type of battery does this Cox item connect to?

Post  roddie Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:00 pm

Marleysky wrote:What are the dimensions? Would a standard  C  or  D cell battery fit the clip??

I think that I remember having one of those.. but it would have been a LONG time ago. I believe that it was designed for a single "D" size battery. The loop part hooked around the raised pos. (+) side of the cell.. and one of the screws on the opposite end would screw-into the concave "dimple" on the neg. (-) side. The molded plastic piece has a curved outer "lip" to clamp-around the side of the cell on the negative end. It worked pretty well.. but a single cell didn't last very long. I'm thinking that it may have come as an accessory with my Sopwith Camel. That's the only Cox model I had as a kid. Maybe it was part of an engine-starting kit??
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:09 pm

Never seen one of those before.

There used to be a battery called a "G" cell that was used as the "A" battery in battery operated tube radio sets (usually with 2 or 3 of them in parallel or series, used to power the tube filaments). These cells are like the long cells that were soldered in parallel in the old cardboard Cox batteries. The Eveready No.964 is an example.

What type of battery does this Cox item connect to? Vintage_Eveready_Radio_%22A%22_Batteries%2C_No._964%2C_1.5_Volts%2C_For_Use_in_Tube_Radios_%289735403163%29

Last edited by Admin on Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:40 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)

Admin
Admin
Administrator

http://sites.google.com/site/coxenginecollection/

Back to top Go down

Post  halfpilot Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:18 pm

I think you’ve just nailed it. The dimensions match up exactly with a single G-cell battery! 4 inches long and 1 11/32 inches diameter are the dimensions I found for that type of battery and this widget would perfectly encapsulate a cylinder of those dimensions. Perhaps Roddie did have one of these too. Swap D-cell for G-cell and his description fits.

Thanks everyone.
halfpilot
halfpilot
Formerly known as:
ThermalSniffer

Formerly known as:ThermalSniffer

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:30 pm

I've been spending the last hour or so searching for an example of the battery seen in this old Cox advertisement from the 1950s.

What type of battery does this Cox item connect to? Access10
Looks to be a "G" cell with screw posts soldered or spot-welded to the ends.

Here's the dimensions of a "G" cell:

What type of battery does this Cox item connect to? G_cell10
from the document linked below

Check this out: You can make a replica "G" cell to fit it. https://www.scribd.com/document/129034387/D-Cell-to-G-Cell-Adapter-RevA  I came across this while searching for more info on the "G" cell. This is a battery that I've seen at "ham fests" and antique shows but I don't have one, nor do I have anything that used one. I don't know when they stopped making them for individual sale.

Admin
Admin
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:32 pm

I never seen that Cox before but Do remember the Long cat batteries they were not out to long that i can remember ? Made for just a very few apps. Small Cox Logo Cool find also !! Very Happy
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:42 pm

Hea Jacob , i have some old micro cassette players that the batt. croaded in {{{ I just need to clean the terminals from corrosion What to use ?? vinegar water mix ?? Thank You !
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:20 pm

getback wrote:Hea Jacob , i have some old micro cassette players that the batt. croaded in {{{ I just need to clean the terminals from corrosion What to use ?? vinegar water mix ?? Thank You !

I usually just scratch the contacts with a screwdriver and some sandpaper or small file. Vinegar works to clean the dried battery acid out.

Admin
Admin
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:39 pm

Admin
Admin
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  ticomareado Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:21 pm

Burgess used to make a 2FH Hobby Ignition battery that Wen Mac included in its half-pint starter kits. It consisted of (2) F cells soldered together and sleeved with a cardboard box. F cells are same diameter as Ds and Gs , only 3.5" tall. I've got a dead one that miraculously hasn't leaked since circa 1965. My guess is that the Cox single cell G is alkaline and probably had more juice than two zinc carbon Fs.
ticomareado
ticomareado
Account Under Review

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down