Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Head gasket maker. Cox_ba12

Head gasket maker. Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by rsv1cox Today at 7:17 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Today at 6:20 am

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by getback Today at 6:17 am

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by Levent Suberk Today at 12:23 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Yesterday at 10:25 pm

» Micro Draco Gets to Fly on a Beautiful Morning.
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:15 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:06 pm

» Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 5:12 pm

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Onelife Yesterday at 4:36 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Yesterday at 3:39 pm

» [solved]most Efficent Glowhead Clip for Norvel Engine
by batjac Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:33 pm

» TD/Medallion .049 fuel draw issues
by Ken Cook Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:18 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Head gasket maker. Empty
Live on Patrol

Head gasket maker.

Go down

Head gasket maker. Empty Head gasket maker.

Post  oldguy Mon May 07, 2018 7:04 pm

Last edited by oldguy on Tue May 08, 2018 2:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
oldguy
oldguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Head gasket maker. Empty Re: Head gasket maker.

Post  getback Mon May 07, 2018 8:33 pm

NO!!!
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Mon May 07, 2018 11:30 pm

I have never used the anaerobic stuff, so I can't vouch that it will work or not. Some have used the red or orange stuff, can't remember which, but claim to have had good success. I'd verify if I were you before going on my word.

I use Permatex Ultra Gray: Amazon: Permatex 82194 Ultra Grey RTV Silicone Gasket Maker.

It is used on auto transmission cases and motorcycle crankcases. It is recommended for high vibration environments. I've had good luck with it on my motorcycle engine. Personally I think it is a good substitute for Yama-Bond (Yamaha RTV motorcycle gasket maker) and cheaper. YMMV (your mileage may vary Wink )

A few years ago, I lacked a good crankcase back gasket for a venerable 1966 OS Max .10R/C cross scavenge engine. It was an E-Bay buy, gummed up and needed a good cleaning. When I started disassembly, back gasket was toast. I used Ultra Gray, and it worked like a charm. On my test stand, engine ran well on start up, needled and throttled well.

Since, I've used it on my other model plane engines, and it works well. YMMV Smile .

Permatex Brochure wrote:PRODUCT DESCRIPTION, S.I.N.: 834-300

Permatex Ultra Gray Gasket Maker is a single component, room temperature vulcanizing gasketing compound designed  to provide reliable “formed-in-place” gaskets for mechanical assemblies. This material cures on exposure to moisture in the air to form a tough, flexible, silicone rubber gasket. The product resists aging, weathering and thermal cycling without hardening, shrinking or cracking. Designed to perform under the higher load conditions of engines with closely spaced bolt patterns (typically non-US designed), and maintains outstanding oil, water-glycol resistance. OEM Specified.

PRODUCT BENEFITS
• High load resistance
• Improved oil resistance
• Sensor safe, non-corrosive
• Replaces most cut gaskets
• Can be used as a gasket maker or dressing
• Non-flammable, Non-toxic
• Low odor

Anyway, again, YMMV. Smoking
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac Mon May 07, 2018 11:53 pm

Not only No!, but....

Head gaskets do not only seal the glow plug against gas pressure leak-by, they also set head spacing. How are you going to use a fluid (yes, the sealant is a fluid) to set the head spacing for 25% nitro vs. 35% nitro? You can't. Also, nothing on my tube of Permatex sealant mentions heat capability. I'd bet that at the temps our heads run, you'd melt and blow through the sealant if you tried.

The Leaky Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Tue May 08, 2018 2:04 am

batjac wrote:Not only No!, but....  

Head gaskets do not only seal the glow plug against gas pressure leak-by, they also set head spacing.  How are you going to use a fluid (yes, the sealant is a fluid) to set the head spacing for 25% nitro vs. 35% nitro?  You can't.  Also, nothing on my tube of Permatex sealant mentions heat capability.  I'd bet that at the temps our heads run, you'd melt and blow through the sealant if you tried.

The Leaky Mark

May depend on the type of engine (he didn't say it was a Cox), but I would suggest that sealant on its own wouldn't withstand cumbustion pressure for long.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Tue May 08, 2018 2:40 am

My McCoy Red Heads use a paper head gasket, but then they aren't competition engines either. Regarding use for head gasket, misread the OP's question. Regarding Mark's concern, depends on the engine. The smaller Cox, yes, adjusting compression via copper or aluminum head washers helps adjust run conditions based on type of fuel.

There isn't a one size fits all type of sealant around, and each situation needs treatment on an as-case basis. Some use red / orange rtv to seal the heads on K&B Sportsters. Earlier .20 Sportster uses a rubber O-ring as a head gasket.

If I lack and I try and it works, it works. If it doesn't work, then try something else. Nothing is cast in stone I know of. (But then I'm the one that likes oddities like A.C. Gilbert Thunderheads and Testors McCoys, OK Cubs and glow plug adapters on Norvels. Eyebrows )
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Tue May 08, 2018 8:24 am

A gasket is one thing a Compression ring is another witch we know , so it may wood work for a long time as a gasket . I went with the thought it was a Cox engine !?!? And we still don't know. Huh...
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  oldguy Tue May 08, 2018 1:57 pm

Guy's, engine I was talking about trying this  on is one of the older  fox .15 engine. Here is the product.
https://www.amazon.com/Permatex-51031-Temperature-Anaerobic-Sealant/dp/B000HBIEG4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1525805807&sr=8-2&keywords=permatex+anaerobic+gasket+maker&dpID=41r%252BPs6tIpL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

I have made a gasket out of a beer can for now and will see how it holds up.

oldguy
oldguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  oldguy Tue May 08, 2018 2:03 pm

batjac wrote:Not only No!, but....  

Head gaskets do not only seal the glow plug against gas pressure leak-by, they also set head spacing.  How are you going to use a fluid (yes, the sealant is a fluid) to set the head spacing for 25% nitro vs. 35% nitro?  You can't.  Also, nothing on my tube of Permatex sealant mentions heat capability.  I'd bet that at the temps our heads run, you'd melt and blow through the sealant if you tried.

The Leaky Mark
I should have been more specific about what I was thinking about using it on.

What temps are we talking about, when discussing head temperatures on these small glow plug engines cox 1/2A's - .15 size engines anyone know?
Thanks
oldguy
oldguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Tue May 08, 2018 3:13 pm

The anerobic gasket maker works terrific for backplates . One thing one of our club members was using in Mccoy redheads was Ultra Copper. He would dismiss the paper gasket and fill the groove within the head entirely with the Ultra Copper. He would let it set up for about 20 min and then tighten it up lightly. The following day he would snug it up. As far as I know it's still working to this day. He would use it as a base gasket as well. This would raise the compression due to it lowering the cylinder and head a few thousandths. What he did mention though was that he had to prevent the screws from now bottoming out due to the above.

Are you in search of head gaskets for the Fox? I probably have them if so. I'm not certain if they were both interchangeable as far as the Rocket.15 and the .15X. I could certainly check. But if your in need of one, I could check as I have a bunch of support parts for mine. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  oldguy Tue May 08, 2018 3:20 pm

Ken Cook wrote:              The anerobic gasket maker works terrific for backplates . One thing one of our club members was using in Mccoy redheads was Ultra Copper. He would dismiss the paper gasket and fill the groove within the head entirely with the Ultra Copper. He would let it set up for about 20 min and then tighten it up lightly. The following day he would snug it up. As far as I know it's still working to this day. He would use it as a base gasket as well. This would raise the compression due to it lowering the cylinder and head a few thousandths. What he did mention though was that he had to prevent the screws from now bottoming out due to the above.

Are you in search of head gaskets for the Fox? I probably have them if so. I'm not certain if they were both interchangeable as far as the Rocket.15 and the .15X. I could certainly check. But if your in need of one, I could check as I have a bunch of support parts for mine. Ken

I have one fox .15 slant plug, that's in need of a head gasket, that's why I was asking about this gasket maker stuff. I do need a proper head gasket for one of my fox .15's.  Let me know if you come across one.
Thanks
oldguy
oldguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Wed May 09, 2018 4:29 pm

I will search this evening and post my findings.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  oldguy Wed May 09, 2018 5:02 pm

Ken Cook wrote:         I will search this evening and post my findings.

Thanks Ken
oldguy
oldguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Wed May 09, 2018 6:39 pm

I have 2 for the slant .15 that I could send you. I don't know for certain, but if you have a steelfin Rocket .15 they're the same. Send me your address in a PM and I will get them out as soon as I can.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down