Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

The 11th Annual Brotherhood of the Ring Worldwide Ringmaster Fly-a-Thon is bearing down on us!!! Cox_ba12

The 11th Annual Brotherhood of the Ring Worldwide Ringmaster Fly-a-Thon is bearing down on us!!! Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Fox .35 Modifications
by Onelife Today at 1:04 pm

» Happy Anzac Day!
by GallopingGhostler Today at 12:44 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by rsv1cox Today at 7:17 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Today at 6:20 am

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by getback Today at 6:17 am

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by Levent Suberk Today at 12:23 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Yesterday at 10:25 pm

» Micro Draco Gets to Fly on a Beautiful Morning.
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:15 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:06 pm

» Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 5:12 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Yesterday at 3:39 pm

» [solved]most Efficent Glowhead Clip for Norvel Engine
by batjac Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:33 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

The 11th Annual Brotherhood of the Ring Worldwide Ringmaster Fly-a-Thon is bearing down on us!!! Empty
Live on Patrol

The 11th Annual Brotherhood of the Ring Worldwide Ringmaster Fly-a-Thon is bearing down on us!!!

Go down

The 11th Annual Brotherhood of the Ring Worldwide Ringmaster Fly-a-Thon is bearing down on us!!! Empty The 11th Annual Brotherhood of the Ring Worldwide Ringmaster Fly-a-Thon is bearing down on us!!!

Post  Kim Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:12 pm

SO...right ahead of the Fall S.M.A.L.L., I got THIS going on!  This coming Saturday and Sunday will be the 11th Anniversary of the Worldwide Ringmaster Fly-a-Thon.

The Breezy Hill boys will be dragging out their ole 'Ringsters, and I'll be in the middle of it with my various Steel Cable/Spiderwire Dogs.

The rules (such as they are) are below, with contact info on this Bragging-Rights-Honor-System Event, so if you got one of these laying around, dust it off and call in some flights !!!!

The 11th Annual Brotherhood of the Ring Worldwide Ringmaster Fly-a-Thon is bearing down on us!!! 2018_r11

I made up a bunch of "Attendance Cards" for last year's Fly-a-Thon, and think they went over fairly well, SO...there shall be more this year!

The 11th Annual Brotherhood of the Ring Worldwide Ringmaster Fly-a-Thon is bearing down on us!!! 2018_r10

I had the 1/2A's out and making noise this morning, even getting in a few flights ahead of the wind.

The 11th Annual Brotherhood of the Ring Worldwide Ringmaster Fly-a-Thon is bearing down on us!!! 11_17

The 11th Annual Brotherhood of the Ring Worldwide Ringmaster Fly-a-Thon is bearing down on us!!! 7_114

The 11th Annual Brotherhood of the Ring Worldwide Ringmaster Fly-a-Thon is bearing down on us!!! 6_111

The 11th Annual Brotherhood of the Ring Worldwide Ringmaster Fly-a-Thon is bearing down on us!!! 1_126

The 11th Annual Brotherhood of the Ring Worldwide Ringmaster Fly-a-Thon is bearing down on us!!! 2_118

The 11th Annual Brotherhood of the Ring Worldwide Ringmaster Fly-a-Thon is bearing down on us!!! 4_114

The 11th Annual Brotherhood of the Ring Worldwide Ringmaster Fly-a-Thon is bearing down on us!!! 14_13

The 11th Annual Brotherhood of the Ring Worldwide Ringmaster Fly-a-Thon is bearing down on us!!! 1710

The 11th Annual Brotherhood of the Ring Worldwide Ringmaster Fly-a-Thon is bearing down on us!!! 18_11
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

The 11th Annual Brotherhood of the Ring Worldwide Ringmaster Fly-a-Thon is bearing down on us!!! Empty Ring Masters

Post  Mike1484 Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:12 pm

Hi Kim ,

I'm not a big Ring Master fan but I must say that your look really nice ., even inspiring . I just might have to build one . I won my first contest ( a sport race ) with a cut down Ring Master Jr. and a Cox Tee Dee .15 at 75 MPH . That was the only Ring master I ever had but I flew lot's of other peoples planes . I like the yellow and red one , nice build and finish . Just looks right with the Golden Bee .

Mike1484
Mike1484
Mike1484
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

The 11th Annual Brotherhood of the Ring Worldwide Ringmaster Fly-a-Thon is bearing down on us!!! Empty Re: The 11th Annual Brotherhood of the Ring Worldwide Ringmaster Fly-a-Thon is bearing down on us!!!

Post  GallopingGhostler Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:47 pm

Mike, if you want to participate, all you need is a control line plane that is either a Ringmaster or a variant that contains the basic Ringmaster flight surface outlines (wing, stab, rudder) proportioned correctly, no limits on size, engine or electric motor used. One counts how many flights they made to the contact shown in the contest ad. All flights are tallied and published once tallied. I think last year the total number worldwide was over 4,000 flights.

This year I probably won't participate since I have a bad knee (hobbling around on crutches).
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

The 11th Annual Brotherhood of the Ring Worldwide Ringmaster Fly-a-Thon is bearing down on us!!! Empty Re: The 11th Annual Brotherhood of the Ring Worldwide Ringmaster Fly-a-Thon is bearing down on us!!!

Post  rsv1cox Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:39 pm

Might have to get out the 40+ year old Baby Ring, slap the original Space Bug Jr. (which I still have) on it and go flying on another Fly 'em if ya got 'em day.

The 11th Annual Brotherhood of the Ring Worldwide Ringmaster Fly-a-Thon is bearing down on us!!! Ringma10

And ............ ya, ya, ya......I know the vertical stab/rudder assembly is on wrong. Sad

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:48 pm

Mike1484 wrote:Hi Kim ,

I'm not a big Ring Master fan but I must say that your look really nice ., even inspiring . I just might have to build one .

Mike1484

Thanks Mike! Ringmasters were in my flying life right from the beginning when my Uncle Wayne trusted me to fly his (A BIG honor at the time!).

I tried to copy the red and yellow Ringmaster from the one on the "Brotherhood of the Ring" Logo

Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:52 pm

[quote="rsv1cox"]5]The 11th Annual Brotherhood of the Ring Worldwide Ringmaster Fly-a-Thon is bearing down on us!!! Ringma10[/url]

And ............ ya, ya, ya......I know the vertical stab/rudder assembly is on wrong.  Sad

Bob
[/quote

Ain't wrong if it flys right!!! Crank it up Bob !!!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:19 pm

I had designed myself a new Ringmaster variant for this year's event back around January, but haven't had time to start on it.  So, with the Fly-A-Thon here, I've decided to just refresh a couple of planes.  I'm gonna re-engine the "3-Hour Special" Beginner's Ringmaster I built last year, and also the Beginner's Ringmaster that was the first plane I built when I got back into Control Line flying five years ago.  I figure Cox 290 engines in Goldberg mounts spinning 5x3 props on a bladder would be a nice upgrade.  Besides, when I was laying in bed last night at 1AM, unable to sleep, a new project popped into my head that these engines would be great for...

After work last night I pulled a box of engines off the shelf that had about nine or ten postage stamp engines with the fine needles, and spread them out on the table to see which two looked the best.  Then I set those aside and grabbed a couple of new piston/cylinder sets I had in the same box.  They're dual bypass/single boost cylinders.  Should be peppy enough.  I grabbed one engine and disassembled it, cleaned it out thoroughly, and reassembled it with the new P/C set on a Goldberg mount, and went to screw it to the Brodak 1/2A mount on the "Special".  Oops!  The Goldberg mount lined up with the outer holes, but with the space in the middle, there was nothing to hold the landing gear in place.  So a couple of minutes with a hand drill and a piece of fuel tank strap that got screwed to the two middle holes of the engine mount fixed that problem.   A Cox zero-drag starter spring installed and it's ready to go.

Tonight I'll do the yeller plane. I'll take pics when they're done.  It's supposed to rain all week, but hopefully I'll get time to test run these puppies before the weekend.

The Fresh Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:52 pm

Sounds great!!!!

Hope everybody that flys their Ringmasters also posts their adventures here !!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:07 pm

Got the engines test run and the planes test flown.  I don’t like how the one on the yellow plane runs, so I’m gonna play with it some more.  The blue engine worked okay once I got a better idea of how the needle worked with the bladder.  These fine needles on postage stamps aren’t quite as easy to tweak as on the TD’s on bladder pressure.

The 11th Annual Brotherhood of the Ring Worldwide Ringmaster Fly-a-Thon is bearing down on us!!! DSCN6241
The 11th Annual Brotherhood of the Ring Worldwide Ringmaster Fly-a-Thon is bearing down on us!!! DSCN6245
The 11th Annual Brotherhood of the Ring Worldwide Ringmaster Fly-a-Thon is bearing down on us!!! DSCN6236
The 11th Annual Brotherhood of the Ring Worldwide Ringmaster Fly-a-Thon is bearing down on us!!! DSCN6239

I forgot to video the yellow plane, but I did one of the plane I’m dubbing my THT-R.  Not much more than a few loops and wing-overs.  My usual.  Note the "big plane" pilots standing around waiting for the "Cox toy engine" to fail and the plane to biff.  After the flight, one of the pilots came up to me and said, "Man!  That thing really scoots.  I didn't think it would fly very good."

The Predictable Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:14 pm

Great looking planes! AND glad you could shine a little light on the non-believers !!!!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:17 pm

Yes! That’s the way to show em!  Great job flying, good looking planes. RC Plane You didn’t fly one with the bladder as full as the one in your pictures?  Seems to me that would be enough fuel for a very long flight?
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:09 am

Marleysky wrote:Yes! That’s the way to show em!  Great job flying, good looking planes. RC Plane You didn’t fly one with the bladder as full as the one in your pictures?  Seems to me that would be enough fuel for a very long flight?

If I filled it up with fuel as much as I did with air, it'd be over ten minutes flight time.  Not what I aspire to....

The Chicken Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:02 am

No coincidence that you did the single and double loops right in front of the peanut gallery??????

Nice flying and a great looking group of planes.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:01 pm

Hey, Mark, I've been on mobile internet today, so havent gotten to watch your flight yet, but I'm happy to see you put a bladder on a reedy. My Reed Speed Mustang came in second only to Jim, the contest director with an identical plumbing setup as your Ring. There are those that refuse to believe it works, lol.

Sorry I couldn't participate with the Micro Ring and the Cribbs TD .010, but as luck would have it, can't walk - can't fly. Oh well...
See y'all in the funny pages!
Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:36 pm

Stupid post deleted
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:47 pm

Kim wrote:Stupid post deleted
Hahaha, Kim... How stupid could it have been. Especially when I'm still here to out-do you, Lol.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:57 pm

BALLS TO THE WALL! That is what a reedy on a bladder will do. 3 second laps and less stumbling than any tanked Bee can do. That's pretty amazing.
You're cramping my style, Dude. lol! 'course my style is pretty dusty and covered with cobwebs by now.
Rusty

EDIT: You flew it with that toy yellow prop!? I'd like to see it with an APC 5x3. And you could get even meaner than that.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:16 pm

RknRusty wrote:
Kim wrote:Stupid post deleted
Hahaha, Kim... How stupid could it have been. Especially when I'm still here to out-do you, Lol.

Well, maybe not so stupid as GLARINGLY Dense. I try to keep up with posts here, but can miss a whole thread.
Been trading notes with you guys for a while now, and while my meager "Hang in there" may not make a difference, I like my friends to know I'm at least trying to send some well-wishes!

Dense Kim
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:28 pm

RknRusty wrote:
BALLS TO THE WALL! That is what a reedy on a bladder will do. 3 second laps and less stumbling than any tanked Bee can do. That's pretty amazing.
You're cramping my style, Dude. lol! 'course my style is pretty dusty and covered with cobwebs by now.
Rusty

EDIT: You flew it with that toy yellow prop!? I'd like to see it with an APC 5x3. And you could get even meaner than that.

Rusty, you and Jim are the ones who really got me into bladder, especially the care package you sent me (I paid it forward Wednesday when I gave some bladder making materials to the guy who was impressed by how the plane scooted).  I chose the yellow rubber ducky because I knew how fast the planes would run on that prop on the 37' lines I was using. Besides, I find I really like the yellow rubber duckies. Easy to see, less easy to cut yourself on, and still very good performance for a flexible prop.  If I'd tried one of my 5x3 APC props, I'd have been too dizzy after the first flight.  I'm gonna have to go to longer lines if I use an APC or Cox competition prop.  Although I am curious as to how an APC 6x2 will do on the 37' lines.  Maybe I'll try that tomorrow.

Hope you get back up and in the circle soon, Brother.

The Not So Mean Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:19 pm

S'far...S'good !!!!!

The 11th Annual Brotherhood of the Ring Worldwide Ringmaster Fly-a-Thon is bearing down on us!!! 1_127

The 11th Annual Brotherhood of the Ring Worldwide Ringmaster Fly-a-Thon is bearing down on us!!! 4_115

The 11th Annual Brotherhood of the Ring Worldwide Ringmaster Fly-a-Thon is bearing down on us!!! 5_22

The 11th Annual Brotherhood of the Ring Worldwide Ringmaster Fly-a-Thon is bearing down on us!!! 7_23

The 11th Annual Brotherhood of the Ring Worldwide Ringmaster Fly-a-Thon is bearing down on us!!! 8_20

The 11th Annual Brotherhood of the Ring Worldwide Ringmaster Fly-a-Thon is bearing down on us!!! 10_111
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:38 pm

Some nice flights Kim, thanks for sharing those photos of Rings and actual flights. Would like to do this year, but am on crutches with fluid in my knee, wife is in the hospital with heart failure, getting her meds and things sorted out, so I've been going back and forth between home and the hospital until they release her.

Glad to see the rings in action.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:20 am

GallopingGhostler wrote:Some nice flights Kim, thanks for sharing those photos of Rings and actual flights. Would like to do this year, but am on crutches with fluid in my knee, wife is in the hospital with heart failure, getting her meds and things sorted out, so I've been going back and forth between home and the hospital until they release her.

Glad to see the rings in action.

Sorry to hear this George.  I hope your wife can get stabilized quickly.  Seems like many of our gang are having a bunch of health challenges.

Our treasurer Steven has issues with his ankles swelling and it's getting difficult for him to get around.  

Hope you and you wife recover soon.
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:26 pm

Today, the Philly Fliers combined with the Jersey guys had our annual Philly Air Wars. We had 15 flyers turn out to fly combat. It was a killer day. We had only one mid air, and one line tangle. Other than that, there were some exciting matches held. Phil Cartier and myself had one heck of a match resulting in equal cuts 1-1. After the last round of combat, the Ringmaster's came out. Everyone brought one and we were flying 4 up at a time. What a cool sound and sight. It was a day that I wished didn't have to end. We have a flyer from the Ukraine, he was just loving every bit of the flying that was taking place. The Ringmaster's were a blast. I believe we have some video of some of it. Ken

https://www.facebook.com/PhillyFliersCL/photos/pcb.2252028641533924/2252028604867261/?type=3&theater

Front row left to right, Rich Martinez FP .40 powered, Al Ferraro in the middle with a beautiful Ring donning a Mccoy .35 which was totally clapped out it was brand new Dan Banjock Fox .35 which runs like it shouldn't

Back row, me on the left Fox Blackhead Combat Special and my son Shawn on the right

Last edited by Ken Cook on Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:09 pm

Kim wrote:Sorry to hear this George.  I hope your wife can get stabilized quickly. Seems like many of our gang are having a bunch of health challenges. Our treasurer Steven has issues with his ankles swelling and it's getting difficult for him to get around. Hope you and you wife recover soon.

Thanks, Kim. I see the orthopedic doctor in 5 days. They got my wife stabilized, but have completely changed her meds, with a little surgical tweaking soon on nerves to stop the arrhythmia. If all goes well, she should be home in a couple days.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down