Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Picking out and prepping some models for this Friday's "Black Fly-Day" at Breezy Hill! Cox_ba12

Picking out and prepping some models for this Friday's "Black Fly-Day" at Breezy Hill! Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Fox .35 Modifications
by Onelife Today at 9:18 pm

» Happy Anzac Day!
by 706jim Today at 6:44 pm

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by MauricioB Today at 4:08 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 3:56 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by rsv1cox Today at 7:17 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Today at 6:20 am

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by Levent Suberk Today at 12:23 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Yesterday at 10:25 pm

» Micro Draco Gets to Fly on a Beautiful Morning.
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:15 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:06 pm

» Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 5:12 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Yesterday at 3:39 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Picking out and prepping some models for this Friday's "Black Fly-Day" at Breezy Hill! Empty
Live on Patrol

Picking out and prepping some models for this Friday's "Black Fly-Day" at Breezy Hill!

Go down

Picking out and prepping some models for this Friday's "Black Fly-Day" at Breezy Hill! Empty Picking out and prepping some models for this Friday's "Black Fly-Day" at Breezy Hill!

Post  Kim Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:20 am

Most of you guys already know about the history of Mr. Musciano and Scientific Models, but thought I'd go ahead and copy this from my Facebook page on the chance that there might be some members that might like it, and maybe serve as a flashback for others!
==================================================

Getting Ready for Breezy Hill's "Black Fly-Day" !!!

I'm going to try (weather permitting) to put the first flight on a beautiful Scientific Models "Kingpin", built and presented to me by Breezy Hill Flyer Billy Lang.

Scientific Models marketed an extensive line of easy-to-build balsa models through the 1950-1970's, most designed by one of my heroes, Mr. Walt Musciano. Some were very simple, with a slab of balsa sheet for a wing, while others, like Kingpin, had a "built-up" wing with ribs and covering much like larger models.

These small control line airplanes gave kids a chance at their first builds, many using engines from the plastic ready-to-fly models they got as Christmas presents.

Hopefully, the winds will be light enough for me to put the first flight on Billy's little creation!

Picking out and prepping some models for this Friday's "Black Fly-Day" at Breezy Hill! 1_129

Picking out and prepping some models for this Friday's "Black Fly-Day" at Breezy Hill! 2_121

Picking out and prepping some models for this Friday's "Black Fly-Day" at Breezy Hill! 3_119

Picking out and prepping some models for this Friday's "Black Fly-Day" at Breezy Hill! 4_120

Picking out and prepping some models for this Friday's "Black Fly-Day" at Breezy Hill! Scient10

Picking out and prepping some models for this Friday's "Black Fly-Day" at Breezy Hill! 5_28
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Picking out and prepping some models for this Friday's "Black Fly-Day" at Breezy Hill! Empty Re: Picking out and prepping some models for this Friday's "Black Fly-Day" at Breezy Hill!

Post  Cribbs74 Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:13 am

Cool Kim,

I have never seen the Kingpin, I have seen the Giant Kingpin though. Looks like fun times ahead!
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Picking out and prepping some models for this Friday's "Black Fly-Day" at Breezy Hill! Empty Re: Picking out and prepping some models for this Friday's "Black Fly-Day" at Breezy Hill!

Post  rsv1cox Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:34 pm

I made many of those Kim which I have discussed here before.  The Zipper, Cessna Bird Dog, and Little Bipe come to mind.  But there were others.  Most fun.  I have that ad around someplace.

In my muddled mind I tend to confuse Scientific with Sterling despite being quite different animals.  Thankfully, past readers here have let that confusion slide.....

Added pictures:

Picking out and prepping some models for this Friday's "Black Fly-Day" at Breezy Hill! Zipper11

Picking out and prepping some models for this Friday's "Black Fly-Day" at Breezy Hill! Zipper12

Picking out and prepping some models for this Friday's "Black Fly-Day" at Breezy Hill! Zipper10

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  944_Jim Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:03 pm

That Kingpin is too cute! I'd love to hear how it flies. If it had a Tee Dee, I bet it would stunt just fine...I'm saving the "plan" to scale up to a slightly bigger engine some day. Thanks for sharing!

Out of that Scientific ad my boys built the DPC Reproduction profile Typhoon and FW-190 with built-up wings. I have the box fuselage with built-up wing L-19 sitting in the box, I started the DPC reproduction Red Tiger with built up fuselage and wing, and have his Zero and Hellcat...all in the 18"-19" range. Then moving up to the bigger planes (22"+) with symmetric wings, the P-40 I've posted so often, and still un-built Super Mustang (both digitized).
I'd love to get my mitts on the 27" Spitfire, and the smaller built up Hurricane, profile Shoestring Racer (although I'd mod the wing by making it symmetrical like this Kingpin), and the 20" Fairchild Trainer.

Somewhere between here, RCGroups, and SH I made.a.connection with a guy with the Shoestring...now of I could get him to make plaster bucks and scan everything else like I did the P-40 and Super Mustang.
944_Jim
944_Jim
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:54 am

Thanks guys!

Yeah, several of these Scientific Kits passed through my young hands back in the late 1960's! I want to build another "Zipper"...enlarged 10% or so, so that it's .049 is not quite the "Monster in It's Nose" as was the original kit.

I bet the Kingpin would go like a rocket with an .049 in it's snout!

I was given a battered Kingpin by my uncle back in the day, and ended up using it's wing as a .020-powered combat plane.
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down