Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

queen bee - Cox .074 Queen Bee nelson plug - Page 3 Cox_ba12

queen bee - Cox .074 Queen Bee nelson plug - Page 3 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by Admin Today at 10:31 am

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by GTO455 Today at 8:11 am

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by rsv1cox Today at 7:41 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 7:29 am

» Help Pee Wee tank cap .020
by MauricioB Yesterday at 10:11 pm

» Post your Older books
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:51 pm

» EXTREMELY RARE COX THIMBLE DROME PROTOTYPE "BLACK WIDOW" GAS MODEL AIRPLANE
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 6:58 pm

» I brake for Turtles....
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 6:38 pm

» Ball - Socket Joints
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 3:06 pm

» A little nostalgia…
by MauricioB Yesterday at 2:32 pm

» A new useful transport vehicle
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 10:32 am

» TAPLIN TWIN 7ccm
by grant.symes Yesterday at 3:29 am

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

queen bee - Cox .074 Queen Bee nelson plug - Page 3 Empty
Live on Patrol

Cox .074 Queen Bee nelson plug

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

queen bee - Cox .074 Queen Bee nelson plug - Page 3 Empty done diss befor not same way

Post  davidll1984 Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:21 pm

queen bee - Cox .074 Queen Bee nelson plug - Page 3 Image50
davidll1984
davidll1984
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

queen bee - Cox .074 Queen Bee nelson plug - Page 3 Empty my own desing of same engine

Post  davidll1984 Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:40 pm

is a 1/18 bugy frame mod wit lot part from 1/16 bugy clutch part my own desing flyweel coling on crank case just removed da big cooling head for bether pic of carb in place it used hd crank tee dee piston with black widow cilender ex slit open no spi has twin boost port 1eatch side tuned pipe is made of nitro fuel primer ae bing long time y tes new carb desing my carb best set up is from .o6 ap wasp slide end turn model kwick responce end slow rpm cox tee dee is lost of power sur start perform grate for plane not for cars or boat try find ap wasp carb esy fit to queen bee back plate bing long time done mode to airplane to is lot power gain but wit wasp .o6 wy not just put right in wat y did cox work fine as is for aircraft stil nice improvment good work Cool
davidll1984
davidll1984
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

queen bee - Cox .074 Queen Bee nelson plug - Page 3 Empty Re: Cox .074 Queen Bee nelson plug

Post  Basswood Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:31 pm

smooth_bill wrote:Basswood,

Is that really your name?

I've never seen one of those mufflers, but it sure looks like it would be easy to adapt.

I have and still own a few Enya engines, but can't imagine that 492 muffler suiting any of them? What the heck was it made for?

One of my best friends moved to Phoenix over a year ago. I was planning to visit them last year, but he suddenly passed away. I've always wanted to visit the VSC stunt event held in Tuscon now and that would have been a great trip.

Keep me posted on your engine testing please.

I'm hoping to test the new Bernie back plate mount on one of my Pee Wee engines. The only time I've flown a Pee Wee powered c/l airplane (Scarinzi Queen Bee), I was always wishing for a longer engine run. Now I don't fly anymore, but can at least test the back plate mount with a larger tank.

Bill

Bill
Basswood is just a nick name I've had for some time. long story.
I had never seen one of these Enya M492 mufflers before ether. just like the way they looked and figured I would mod one to fit a Cox .049 or Q-B. they do also have larger sizes of available as well. but keep in mind they are made to fit Enya engines so it may take some work to use them on Cox engines. I really think the exhaust is key on these engines as in many cases I've seen it slows down the engine, not good.
Basswood
Basswood
Basswood
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

queen bee - Cox .074 Queen Bee nelson plug - Page 3 Empty Re: Cox .074 Queen Bee nelson plug

Post  Basswood Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:48 pm

David
My son in law is into these cars, So I know a little about these cars but not enough to be of much help other than the exhaust is probably key with them too. hopefully we can all learn more about it here with some testing and experiments.
Basswood
Basswood
Basswood
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ffkiwi Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:02 am

Surfer_kris wrote:Those muffler were made for the .049 and .061 engines by Enya:
queen bee - Cox .074 Queen Bee nelson plug - Page 3 Img_5111

The same design also served the rarely seen Enya 08....AFAIK though-all three engines use the same basic muffler-but with slight differences in the ID of the centre hole-but I've never done a thorough comparison of all three-if anyone has an 08 in their pile, it would be useful to measure the cylinder OD at the exhaust port belt position...

ChrisM
'ffkiwi'
ffkiwi
ffkiwi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Surfer_kris Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:01 am

I have never seen the .08 one around here either, I guess it was only made for the internal market in Japan.

From the labels of the mufflers that I have, the .06 and .08 used the same muffler while the .049 had a dedicated (smaller) one. The upper lip on the muffler is made to fit in-between the lowest cooling fins, so that would have to be enlarged for use on the Cox .074 or .09 engines, I guess.

I doubt that the Enya muffler will be very different from the Cox ones though, I think that the circumferential idea is for ease of production mainly (no keyed cylinder threads on the smaller engines) and it doesn't work as well as an exhaust that matches the port orientation. My best (least restrictive) DYI muffler was made to match the ports and it work very well in terms of a low power loss:

queen bee - Cox .074 Queen Bee nelson plug - Page 3 Cox_be12
Surfer_kris
Surfer_kris
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

queen bee - Cox .074 Queen Bee nelson plug - Page 3 Empty In regards to carburetor mods

Post  Lukemiester Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:08 pm

I have a queen bee that I haven’t run yet but I saw the carburetor mods that surfer kris had done and I was wondering... is there anything different you would do the next time?
Also has anybody tried the mecoa .09 glow head adapter? On the eBay page the picture shows it on an .074 but they don’t mention anywhere that it can be used on one. I know the threads on the .09 are the same on the .074 but earlier in this thread it said the compression was lower on the .09 head, so just wondering performance and whatnot of that mecoa head
Here’s a link to the adapter I’m talking about: https://www.ebay.com/itm/GLOW-PLUG-ADAPTOR-COX-09-engine-use-standard-long-plug-MADE-in-USA-911-009-/281012094238

Thanks
Lukemiester
Lukemiester
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ffkiwi Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:18 pm

Yes it will fit of course-but you would have to experiment with different glowplugs as you could see quite a lot of variation depending on coil cavity size and overall plug reach-plus the individual heat rating. One more option-but what a lot of variables to optimise! Don't forget of course that a standard Medallion 09 or TD 09 head will also work on the Queen Bee-so apart from the original head-plus any aftermarket one-there are two more possibilities.

The Mecoa heads are a low compression option-most closely resembling the Medallion glowhead head in terms of combustion chamber shape. We still seem to be waiting for Greg K to come up with the 074/09 head adaptors for sale...I know he's done prototypes and sent them out for assessment....

ChrisM
'ffkiwi'
ffkiwi
ffkiwi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Lukemiester Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:26 pm

ffkiwi wrote:Yes it will fit of course-but you would have to experiment with different glowplugs as you could see quite a lot of variation depending on coil cavity size and overall plug reach-plus the individual heat rating.  One more option-but what a lot of variables to optimise!   Don't forget of course that a standard Medallion 09 or TD 09 head will also work on the Queen Bee-so apart from the original head-plus any aftermarket one-there are two more possibilities.

The Mecoa heads are a low compression option-most closely resembling the Medallion glowhead head in terms of combustion chamber shape. We still seem to be waiting for Greg K to come up with the 074/09 head adaptors for sale...I know he's done prototypes and sent them out for assessment....

ChrisM
'ffkiwi'

Ok... so as far as glow plugs and adapters go which one works the best?
Lukemiester
Lukemiester
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ffkiwi Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:41 pm

Read what I wrote earlier-this is not a question that can be answered in absolute terms, a Nelson or turbo plug adapter is better-IF you can find one. If you can't-buy a Mecoa one and experiment. Its that simple! And that applies to ALL the adapters-regardless of source-it is never a case of fit and forget-even the best performing ones require that you test and adjust, shims +/- till you get the best results for your fuel, your prop and the type of model.

ChrisM
'ffkiwi'
ffkiwi
ffkiwi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Lukemiester Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:49 pm

Alright thank you! I’ll look into getting that mecoa adapter
Lukemiester
Lukemiester
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  1/2A Nut Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:55 pm

Current media reported in this thread:

6x3:
Kris Turbo plug OS P6 / 17.9k / OS P6
Juans Stock Head Converted Nelson Plug / 18.45k
Kamtechnik Prototype OS P4 / 19.78K

Small Cox Logo Thumbs Up
1/2A Nut
1/2A Nut
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Lukemiester Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:25 pm

1/2A Nut wrote:Current media reported in this thread:

6x3:
Kris Turbo plug OS P6 /  17.9k / OS P6
Juans Stock Head Converted Nelson Plug / 18.45k
Kamtechnik Prototype OS P4 / 19.78K

Small Cox Logo Thumbs Up

Those are some good numbers... pretty soon there’ll be one with a mecoa head up there!
Lukemiester
Lukemiester
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Lukemiester Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:00 pm

I got my engine to run yesterday! Now onto replacement parts and upgrades Very Happy
Lukemiester
Lukemiester
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

queen bee - Cox .074 Queen Bee nelson plug - Page 3 Empty Enya .049 / .06 / .08 and .10 ---- made for Japan (family).

Post  sosam117 Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:31 am

ffkiwi wrote:
Surfer_kris wrote:Those muffler were made for the .049 and .061 engines by Enya:
queen bee - Cox .074 Queen Bee nelson plug - Page 3 Img_5111

The same design also served the rarely seen Enya 08....AFAIK though-all three engines use the same basic muffler-but with slight differences in the ID of the centre hole-but I've never done a thorough comparison of all three-if anyone has an 08 in their pile, it would be useful to measure the cylinder OD at the exhaust port belt position...

ChrisM
'ffkiwi'

Hello ffkiwi,
I almost have the complete family of Enyas:
049 rear induction / 049-II (series #1/2/3/4  -- venturi - T.V. differences)
06 rear induction / 06-II (series #1/2/3/4 -- venturi - T.V. differences)
06D (diesel) rear induction / 06-II (series #1/2/3/4 -- venturi -T.V. differences)
08-II (series #1/2/3/4 -- venturi - T.V differences)
10-II (series #1/2/3/4 -- venturi - T.V. differences) I currently do not have a Enya .10-II series 1 engine.
I do have a few gaps in the collection but am working on that.

I have been acquiring them since 2003 when I learned of these little gems. Still acquiring more of them!
First ones were (one) 06-II T.V (glow) and the other was (one) 06D-II T.V. (diesel) from Model Flight in Australia (in 8/8/2004).
Still have the sales receipt with the engines.
Acquired more of the little Enyas from a hobby shop in Singapore and diesel engines from Carlson Imports.

Enya 049 reed:
queen bee - Cox .074 Queen Bee nelson plug - Page 3 Enya0410

Enya 049-II series #2 (tilted forward venturi) series 1 has square venturi. (need to photograph that engine yet)
queen bee - Cox .074 Queen Bee nelson plug - Page 3 Enya_036

Enya 049-II series #4 (tilted forward T.V.) series 3 - venturi close to cylinder head.(need to photograph that engine yet as well.)
queen bee - Cox .074 Queen Bee nelson plug - Page 3 Enya_037

Enya 06 reed (glow) just recently refurbished:
queen bee - Cox .074 Queen Bee nelson plug - Page 3 Enya_038

Enya 06D (diesel):
queen bee - Cox .074 Queen Bee nelson plug - Page 3 Enya_039

Enya 06-II (glow):
series #1 engine with square venturi:

queen bee - Cox .074 Queen Bee nelson plug - Page 3 Enya_040

series #2 engine with round venturi:
queen bee - Cox .074 Queen Bee nelson plug - Page 3 Enya_041

series #3 engine
with T.V. close to cylinder head:
N/A ----need to photograph yet

series #4 engine -- T.V. (angled for muffler)
queen bee - Cox .074 Queen Bee nelson plug - Page 3 Enya_042

Enya 06D-II is the same as the glow engines:
series #1

queen bee - Cox .074 Queen Bee nelson plug - Page 3 Enya_043

series #2
queen bee - Cox .074 Queen Bee nelson plug - Page 3 Enya_044

I do not have (yet) a series #3 engine - T.V.

series #4 T.V. (tilted forward for muffler)
queen bee - Cox .074 Queen Bee nelson plug - Page 3 Enya_045

Enya 08:
I have not yet acquired a series #1 or series #2 engine (but still looking)

series #3 T.V. (straight up close to cylinder head.)
queen bee - Cox .074 Queen Bee nelson plug - Page 3 Enya_046

series #4 T.V. (for muffler)
queen bee - Cox .074 Queen Bee nelson plug - Page 3 Enya_047

Enya 10:
Series #1 (square venturi)

queen bee - Cox .074 Queen Bee nelson plug - Page 3 Enya_122
queen bee - Cox .074 Queen Bee nelson plug - Page 3 Enya_123

Series #2 ---- have not acquired an engine yet.

Series #3 (venturi close to cylinder head) -- recently refurbished:
queen bee - Cox .074 Queen Bee nelson plug - Page 3 Img_0034

Series #4 ---- have not acquired an engine yet.

I am also trying to acquire the missing parts for the engines as well.
Like missing starter springs, mufflers, rear engine mounts (reed engines), brochures, etc.

I have been able in the last three years to acquire (bid) on some of these engine on a Japan bidding site.
Trying to get mufflers and other parts are tough to get.

I would like to thank Ken Enya for his help on getting some of the history on these engines.
sosam117
sosam117
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Lukemiester Sun Dec 13, 2020 2:45 pm

For those of you that did the carb mod... is the 1/16” hole big enough? Should it be smaller? In a different spot? Or does it work fine the way it is?

Thanks,
Luke
Lukemiester
Lukemiester
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  aspeed Sun Dec 13, 2020 3:12 pm

Lukemiester wrote:For those of you that did the carb mod... is the 1/16” hole big enough? Should it be smaller? In a different spot? Or does it work fine the way it is?

Thanks,
Luke
I made mine .040 IIRC. I figured I would start small and go bigger if needed. It worked great on the test stand. I think i mounted it on the plane but it just has been sitting for a few years, so no flight results. It did idle and accelerate nicely on the stand though.
aspeed
aspeed
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Surfer_kris Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:52 pm

Lukemiester wrote:For those of you that did the carb mod... is the 1/16” hole big enough? Should it be smaller? In a different spot? Or does it work fine the way it is?

It can be smaller, 1/16" sounds a bit big, you can start with 1/32" and go from there. You don't want to have the low-end too lean and it is harder to add material.

There are two mods that both serve to lean out the low-end, the upper portion of the carb is also enlarged, as the drawing shows.
Surfer_kris
Surfer_kris
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Lukemiester Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:41 am

Surfer_kris wrote:

It can be smaller, 1/16" sounds a bit big, you can start with 1/32" and go from there. You don't want to have the low-end too lean and it is harder to add material.

There are two mods that both serve to lean out the low-end, the upper portion of the carb is also enlarged, as the drawing shows.

Forgive my ignorance, but what am I supposed to be looking for when I have the right hole size?
Lukemiester
Lukemiester
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  aspeed Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:24 am

With a good high speed needle setting. Low idle for a while, then open the throttle quickly. If it stumbles and takes a bit of time to get to full throttle with maybe a little fuel spitting out of the carb, that is too rich on the low. If it pretty much cuts out when given full throttle, then it is too lean on the LSNeedle.
aspeed
aspeed
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Lukemiester Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:25 am

aspeed wrote:With a good high speed needle setting.  Low idle for a while, then open the throttle quickly.  If it stumbles and takes a bit of time to get to full throttle with maybe a little fuel spitting out of the carb, that is too rich on the low.  If it pretty much cuts out when given full throttle, then it is too lean on the LSNeedle.

Thank you so much! Ill go test it once my parts come in Very Happy
Lukemiester
Lukemiester
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  davidll1984 Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:27 am

The link To the plug adapter is Good https://www.ebay.com/itm/GLOW-PLUG-ADAPTOR-COX-09-engine-use-standard-long-plug-MADE-in-USA-911-009-/281012094238 except for Most canadien wont chip To Canada very disapointed Mad y hate those saler Doh! wil have To search for new seler y just use qwean bee wating To Find one
davidll1984
davidll1984
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Lukemiester Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:31 am

davidll1984 wrote:The link To the plug adapter is Good https://www.ebay.com/itm/GLOW-PLUG-ADAPTOR-COX-09-engine-use-standard-long-plug-MADE-in-USA-911-009-/281012094238 except for Most canadien wont chip To Canada very disapointed Mad y hate those saler Doh! wil have To search for new seler y just use qwean bee wating To Find one

Well that’s a shame it can’t be shipped to you Crying or Very sad
I did just order one tho, so I’ll get some performance numbers on it!
Lukemiester
Lukemiester
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  aspeed Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:35 am

davidll1984 wrote:The link To the plug adapter is Good https://www.ebay.com/itm/GLOW-PLUG-ADAPTOR-COX-09-engine-use-standard-long-plug-MADE-in-USA-911-009-/281012094238 except for Most canadien wont chip To Canada very disapointed Mad y hate those saler Doh! wil have To search for new seler y just use qwean bee wating To Find one
Maybe deal with him directly rather than through feebay. There is a guy that sells motors 'Mike Goes Flying' that will not sell to Canada as well. I think he made the choice on his own. Shipping is likely pretty high in any case. I will wait till my plugs burn out, and then drill and tap for a turbo plug. He has some other nice stuff though.
aspeed
aspeed
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  davidll1984 Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:54 am

Yes somtime is the mony stop me from buying in Most case is shipping that wont chip anoying ting made me lost lots of Good stuf now y se the exact same item wit huge différence in price To 130$ buy it now To 600 starting bid y hate people take davantage of Good price seling stuf twice the price you yes you ho did this if u read the post y just .... ..... .... Mad  no Word alowed To explain how mutch y hate them  want make mony of us Not correct for those ho serious collector just dont buy stuf wit very hi price as Most old stuf get old Not bether wit time This Site Rocks! y love cox engine

Last edited by davidll1984 on Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:54 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Corection)
davidll1984
davidll1984
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next