Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

The writing its on the wall!! Cox_ba12

The writing its on the wall!! Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» WHO NEEDS TANKS!!!?? Perfect Brand Tanks For Sale
by DanMc Today at 9:07 pm

» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by roddie Today at 9:02 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by 944_Jim Today at 8:26 pm

» Piston to Cylinder - what's a good fit, what's bad?
by mike in SC Today at 7:42 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rsv1cox Today at 7:09 pm

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by akjgardner Today at 6:07 pm

» Roddie's water-cooling bottle for bench-running
by roddie Today at 5:13 pm

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by gkamysz Today at 4:41 pm

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Today at 2:51 pm

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Onelife Today at 2:07 pm

» Prop Rod - resto to a runner
by cstatman Today at 2:03 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by GTO455 Today at 2:01 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

The writing its on the wall!! Empty
Live on Patrol

The writing its on the wall!!

Go down

The writing its on the wall!! Empty The writing its on the wall!!

Post  Mark Diedrichs Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:24 pm

This virus thing that's go'in on is no joke. Hunker down brothers and sisters!!! Stay safe!!! We will get through this. All the best, Mark
Mark Diedrichs
Mark Diedrichs
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

The writing its on the wall!! Empty Re: The writing its on the wall!!

Post  NEW222 Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:19 pm

Totally agreed Mark. Wishing everyone here to stay safe and away from this virus. Just found out an hour ago, the ol' lady will be unemployed wednesday as all non-essential services are to be closed for a period of two weeks. With me in the private transportation sector, I am deemed as an essential service, so I will still be trucking through till Friday. Then off on holidays for a while. SO I will then too be sitting around building and running some engines!
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Diedrichs Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:21 pm

Hey Man I feel ya, Were all in this together. That being said check out the John Hopkins report on this topic. Virus may be mutating!! Hope not,,,Mark
Mark Diedrichs
Mark Diedrichs
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:03 pm

Predicting two weeks is a joke. This will run for months. Huge loss of life, tragic! Economic outcome, really scary!
World wide small business collapse will decimate life as we know it.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:56 pm

Hey guys, how about some more upbeat topics?

Cox engines perhaps?
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Basswood Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:56 pm

Ok Two brain cells clicked together as I was sitting here making a new respiratory mask for myself.
We all have heard about the surgical mask shortage for health care workers right, and from what I've read that they don't clean well with the available cleaners as it tends to break them down and they fall apart.
And they are telling them to reuse them every day!!!!! If the testing is true that this Covid 19 virus dies in one to three days on porous,paper,cardboard surfaces etc.
We need to test the N95 masks and see how long it survives on/in them.
Why not make vented bins(trash cans) put days of the week on them that the masks were used and throw the masks in the bin on the day they were used.
and every day put them on the roofs of the hospitals and air them out to help the virus die and then just re-use them a week apart.
No more mask shortage.within seven days you could just keep reusing the masks for now anyway until more are made.
I'm going to reuse mine as I don't go to the grocery store more than once week anyway.
Basswood
Basswood
Basswood
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  OhBee Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:37 am

You only need a mask around someone thats coughing or sneezing and is sick. I don't go anywhere and don't mingle with anyone...you can have my share!
OhBee
OhBee
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:50 am

I agree with Ron , i have heard and read soooo much about this crappy Virus that i actually had a small breakdown yesterday .. Because i kNOW if  GET IT I will DIE ,, There working very hard on a cure for it and those people are my heros !! I am going to the bench today ( not the bar ) and clear some stuff off for some finishing builds and repair rebuilds that have been in order for some to dam long . I appreciate everybody on here that is doing the same and if your as damn scared as ii am its time to do something with your hobby on this FORUM  because that is what where all about .. now put on a smile and do/say something nice for your friends or foes to make yourself proud of what you have become and believe in !!!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy I Love This Forum! I Love This Forum! I Love This Forum! I Love This Forum! This Site Rocks! This Site Rocks! This Site Rocks! This Site Rocks! sunny sunny sunny
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Diedrichs Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:35 pm

Cribbs74 wrote:Hey guys, how about some more upbeat topics?

Cox engines perhaps?
Ron, I'm sure we all get your point. What's wrong with a little reality?? I would say it's a good thing to share/vent during these times. Respectfully Mark This Site Rocks! I Love This Forum!
Mark Diedrichs
Mark Diedrichs
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  1/2A Nut Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:19 pm

It is therapy to discuss we can not bottle it up. I held much from my 74 yr. old mom at first and
from my RN sister who already has found a footing in her reality through staying informed and
on point at work. Discussion helps you / us all to learn from mistakes.

Lesson:
How many have pets how many people pet your pets sneeze and cough on each day?
The pets carry the virus IE wash your pets regularly as they also go outside interacting.
Don't let fluffy take out family members. Assign a pet to a isolated family member if
need be for comfort. Insight is key.

Shamrock Shamrock Shamrock Shamrock
1/2A Nut
1/2A Nut
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:52 pm

Everybody needs somebody:
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:41 pm

Certainly not trying to stop anybody from discussing anything. I was just a little tired of hearing about it at that moment.

The problem I have with it is the fear and panic. Nothing good comes from either of those two emotions.

I’m the kind of guy who takes things at face value, applies a little common sense and stays calm. When I read about the things people do with the hoarding and the violence and the mob mentality it really gets under my skin.

The human race has taken on much worse plagues than this virus and come out in top. This time won’t be any different.

So carry on if it makes you feel better to discuss. I apologize for suggesting otherwise.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  crankbndr Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:12 pm

I agree Ron, I had to shut TV off weeks ago. This was the only place I could come and not see Kungflu, then not so much.
crankbndr
crankbndr
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:20 pm

Isn't this why that Jacob created the "Off Topic" forum, is so others could express their feelings on topics not related to engines? And, for those who care not to entertain need not even go there? Then, if they really wanted to get controversial without being offensive or rude, could express themselves in the "forbidden"No! RED NECK ZONE? Laughing

I believe the forums have their place, and we don't have to agree with another's opinion. It is just another place to share comraderie, like one would share in a bar or corner table at a pizzeria. No? Paranoid
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  dckrsn Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:58 pm

Ron, I agree with you 100%. The sensory load is huge.
The conversation shouldn't be about religion, politics,
economics or other areas that spawn lousy info and
circular arguments, but sharing experiences and comfort
can be a plus for some. I take my mass media ingestion
in small doses. Helps with the anxiety(along with Lexapro).
Bob
dckrsn
dckrsn
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  OhBee Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:24 pm

Anyone notice there are no longer any deaths in this country from anything else? 🤔
OhBee
OhBee
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:25 pm

I researched the official Cox Forums rules at:

https://www.coxengineforum.com/t70-forum-rules-updated-4-15-12

It states, * While debating and discussion is fine, we will not tolerate rudeness, insulting posts, personal attacks or purposeless inflammatory posts. Our decision is final in these matters.

And, the rule for the "Off Topic" is, Off Topic! Post anything, Cox or not! Only members may post here.

I think we all can be adult and so far, I haven't seen anything that could be interpreted as breaking the first rule.

For example, I have learned not to watch YouTube videos involving car crashes, because they tend to agitate and make me angry deep inside. I just don't go there. I don't ask YouTube to ban such videos, because although I may not like them it doesn't violate a posting rule.

I hope I am not being offensive by posting my opinion. What is sensitive to some is not sensitive to others, and certain replies may supply comfort to certain ones even though they may not meet comfort criteria of others.

If I see a topic that I don't agree with, I usually just find another topic to concentrate on and forget the first. I think the forum title, "Off Topic" is a flag that for some, may be they don't even need to visit if they are only interested in engine and related content.

Last edited by GallopingGhostler on Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:14 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Delete off topic comments in an off topic subject.)
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:25 pm

George is correct, the thread is in off topic where it belongs and the post does not violate any of the forum rules.

Sometimes I forget to take my own advice and keep my mouth shut or ignore stuff I don’t want to read.

Anyway, there is nothing wrong with this discussion whatsoever.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  OhBee Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:31 pm

Anyone notice there are apparantly no deaths in this country from anything else anymore? 🤔
OhBee
OhBee
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:42 pm

Thank you, Ron.

OhBee wrote:Anyone notice there are no longer any deaths in this country from anything else? 🤔

I made a post in: https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/clubhouse-190/11607413-old-timers-look-here-must-50-years-only-201.html#post12593793

Rather than quote it, I thought it better to just reference it and you may read it if you want to or not. It is my personal opinion of the mainstream media.

May be George Carlin hit the nail on the head regarding the recent Covid-19 event. You'll need to do a Youtube search on "Fear of GERMS - George Carlin" by After Skool. I haven't posted a link, because George uses a lot of vulgarity to express his opinion in this 6 minute video. I don't approve of that and thus no link herein. After Skool does nice cartoon drawings as he is speaking. George had a lot of insight into what is going on today, and may give insight to those who sense they cannot make sense otherwise of the situation.
Regarding his language, remember I forwarned you. Censored Blow up Mad!
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:18 am

Facing facts, there's every chance that someone from this forum might get infected. We cover a big part of the globe, so I can't see us being immune. No offence to the more seniors, (don't worry- I'm getting there), but it's pretty clear you're at higher risk of serious consequences. Sadly, I've found that out here it's the older ones who don't seem to get the "social distancing" thing. Sometimes you just gotta ask them to back away.

I know people are sick of talking (hearing) about it, but the reality is, the more we talk about it the more people take the measures seriously. Stick to the recommendations, less people die.

Stay safe.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:48 am

It's a comeuppance when we are warned that the elderly are at higher risk for serious complications and you realize you are the elderly. Sad
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:27 am

andrew wrote:It's a comeuppance when we are warned that the elderly are at higher risk for serious complications and you realize you are the elderly. Sad

I wouldn't be so bleak. I am 66, but I work out regularly, bike 8 miles 5 times a week, bench 150 lbs. - 10 reps x 3 sets, do upper arm pull downs at 160 lbs. - 10 reps x 3 sets, do stomach crunches at 130 lbs. 50 reps x 3 sets, control my diet of excess sugars, refined carbs, limit my intake of red meats, etc. Only prescription medication I take is prescription nasal spray for allergies. No blood pressure medication, no cholesterol medication, no diabetes medication, nada.

Does that mean I won't get sick? No, but by staying fit and healthy helps to ensure my likelihood of survival.

Until recent restrictions, I was visiting 3 nursing homes a month. Some I see there would not be there if they had better taken care of themselves.

This virus pandemic may be a wake up call to some to start taking care of themselves. I don't advocate a crash course in fitness. Instead I look at it that one competes only against themselves. For example, someone with a heart condition may start a gentle walk around the block, may be a half or a fourth if they are really bad out of shape or their heart is weak. Don't push yourself. Give yourself time to rest, skip a day or two, then try again.

Over time, as the whole body gets strengthened, one can increase the duration or speed, or both, may be then do every day. You compete only against yourself.

I can't walk distances because I have a bad back and an arthritic knee, so I bicycle. I learned from physical therapy by a doctor, how much I can push myself, how much not. Through it I have been able to restore my knee function almost totally.

Some by starting a consistent exercise program with disciplined eating habits have been able to have their doctors take them off blood pressure, cholesterol, arthritis and/or diabetes medications. It will also strengthen you immune system. It may add another 10 to 30 years to your life.

Perhaps something to think about?
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  DrCox Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:30 pm

GallopingGhostler wrote:
andrew wrote:It's a comeuppance when we are warned that the elderly are at higher risk for serious complications and you realize you are the elderly. Sad

I wouldn't be so bleak. I am 66, but I work out regularly, bike 8 miles 5 times a week, bench 150 lbs. - 10 reps x 3 sets, do upper arm pull downs at 160 lbs. - 10 reps x 3 sets, do stomach crunches at 130 lbs. 50 reps x 3 sets, control my diet of excess sugars, refined carbs, limit my intake of red meats, etc. Only prescription medication I take is prescription nasal spray for allergies. No blood pressure medication, no cholesterol medication, no diabetes medication, nada.

Does that mean I won't get sick? No, but by staying fit and healthy helps to ensure my likelihood of survival.

Until recent restrictions, I was visiting 3 nursing homes a month. Some I see there would not be there if they had better taken care of themselves.

This virus pandemic may be a wake up call to some to start taking care of themselves. I don't advocate a crash course in fitness. Instead I look at it that one competes only against themselves. For example, someone with a heart condition may start a gentle walk around the block, may be a half or a fourth if they are really bad out of shape or their heart is weak. Don't push yourself. Give yourself time to rest, skip a day or two, then try again.

Over time, as the whole body gets strengthened, one can increase the duration or speed, or both, may be then do every day. You compete only against yourself.

I can't walk distances because I have a bad back and an arthritic knee, so I bicycle. I learned from physical therapy by a doctor, how much I can push myself, how much not. Through it I have been able to restore my knee function almost totally.

Some by starting a consistent exercise program with disciplined eating habits have been able to have their doctors take them off blood pressure, cholesterol, arthritis and/or diabetes medications. It will also strengthen you immune system. It may add another 10 to 30 years to your life.

Perhaps something to think about?

The aforementioned ideas are sage words of advice for potentially many today.
DrCox
DrCox
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down