Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Sound and Power...........Train stuff Cox_ba12

Sound and Power...........Train stuff Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Fox .35 Modifications
by aspeed Today at 8:06 pm

» Happy Anzac Day!
by 706jim Today at 6:44 pm

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by MauricioB Today at 4:08 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 3:56 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by rsv1cox Today at 7:17 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Today at 6:20 am

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by Levent Suberk Today at 12:23 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Yesterday at 10:25 pm

» Micro Draco Gets to Fly on a Beautiful Morning.
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:15 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:06 pm

» Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 5:12 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Yesterday at 3:39 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Sound and Power...........Train stuff Empty
Live on Patrol

Sound and Power...........Train stuff

Go down

Sound and Power...........Train stuff Empty Sound and Power...........Train stuff

Post  rsv1cox Sun Nov 08, 2020 6:48 pm

Train Train

Nostalgia find. Had one on my first layout. Old technology, transformer, heavy but built like a tank. Choo choo steam sound, chug, chug diesel sound, bells and horns, quality rheostat control. Not DC/DCC but add a lot to enjoyment. Swapped out the old system today, still got some tinkering to do.

Sound and Power...........Train stuff P1010545
Sound and Power...........Train stuff P1010544
Sound and Power...........Train stuff P1010546
Sound and Power...........Train stuff P1010547
Sound and Power...........Train stuff P1010548
Sound and Power...........Train stuff P1010549

I dunno why, time on my hands, thought I would share.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Sound and Power...........Train stuff Empty Re: Sound and Power...........Train stuff

Post  NEW222 Sun Nov 08, 2020 7:16 pm

Very neat Bob. I don't mind doing some wiring, but wow. I would get confused by what you got going on. Heck, I am confused by just one picture. I am glad someone like yourself understands it and can hook it up to work, as I am sure I would be asking many, many questions....
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Sound and Power...........Train stuff Empty Re: Sound and Power...........Train stuff

Post  dckrsn Sun Nov 08, 2020 7:22 pm

rsv1cox wrote:Train Train
I dunno why, time on my hands, thought I would share.
Bob
Pfft, what?
I enjoyed it. I didn't see the hits count, but I
know I'm not alone.
Carry on.
Other Bob
dckrsn
dckrsn
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:21 am

Yur right! Love to see your handiwork! For someone like me who has a difficult time hooking up a glowhead correctly, that looks like rocket science. Besides saving your lips and throat from having to make all those sounds yourself. Good job.
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:55 am

Marleysky wrote:Yur right! Love to see your handiwork!  For someone like me who has a difficult time hooking up a glowhead correctly, that looks like rocket science.   Besides saving your lips and throat from having to make all those sounds yourself. Good job.

wooo wooo, chug, chug, choo choo.  Smile

Thanks guys but it's simple DC - positive/negative black wires to - white to + you can't go wrong.  Switches are just repetitive, do one the rest are the same.  Believe me, I'm working a 83 year old brain here, if it wasn't simple I couldn't do it.

It's this that drives me nut's hooking all this stuff up in test mode.  Old fumble fingers.

Sound and Power...........Train stuff P1010551

Remote speakers under the layout help distribute sound.

Sound and Power...........Train stuff P1010550
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:58 pm

Man i wish you would do YouTube so we could hear Its not that hard But i do understand Toot Toot back at U Crossing Train Train
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:17 pm

rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:24 pm

Nice !!  Sound and Power...........Train stuff Downlo10
Thank You
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:28 pm

rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:18 pm

Hey Bob,

That is neat, something I missed growing up. I went from DC with the only sound being the motor, track clicks and a puff when the smoke stack spit and now I have DCC. With DCC the sound is exactly when you want it and every sound imaginable. I do miss the simplicity of DC, it’s just really worth the extra money and effort.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:31 pm

Maybe someday Ron.  But right now I enjoy buying junk engines and fixing them up just like I used to do with Enya, Cox and other engines.  

That yellow Consolidated above by Bowser with a Varney Vanderbilt tender just needed a little tweaking to become a great runner.  About two pounds it's quite heavy but is so smooth and near silent as it runs along.  

Did you ever complete that three dimensional layout you pictured awhile ago?

I contributed to a thread over on the model train forum and caught some grief (telltale) regarding the plainness of my layout.  Smile  Not hard to find me rsv1ho. Telltale caught some backlash from the peanut gallery but I had no problem with it. Everyone has their own opinion.

https://www.modeltrainforum.com/threads/transferring-from-plan-onto-plywood.192194/

Different bunch over there.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:33 am

boy that is ONE difference buch there anyway lol!
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:43 am

getback wrote:boy that is ONE difference buch there anyway lol!

Smile Smile

Actually that thread is rather mild. More back stabbing than back slapping goes on there. Lot's to know about model railroading and many books have been written on the subject. I just swim on the surface. But there are good guys as well, eager to help novices.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:59 pm

Bob, in the beginning of the post on your first picture there's a small 0.4.0 with a reddish brown barrel roof. I believe I own that particular train which is made by AHM. It was my dad's and it was one of his favorites that is until I ran it in reverse and threw the forward switch and it wheelied. It went off the table nose first and it broke the front light and boiler door off the front. He never forgot it and I think I'm going to do some searching for a new one as he still lets me know I broke it.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:34 pm

Ken Cook wrote:             Bob, in the beginning of the post on your first picture there's a small 0.4.0 with a reddish brown barrel roof. I believe I own that particular train which is made by AHM. It was my dad's and it was one of his favorites that is until I ran it in reverse and threw the forward switch and it wheelied. It went off the table nose first and it broke the front light and boiler door off the front. He never forgot it and I think I'm going to do some searching for a new one as he still lets me know I broke it.

Your right Ken, only it was made in Italy by Rivarossi for AHM and sold through AHM who did the marketing.  

It's a remarkable little engine and for being just a 0-4-0 it will pull all the ore cars that I can fit behind it.   Easy to set on the track too, no leading or trailing trucks to center.  

I have at least three, one had a missing boiler door that I replaced with a Roosevelt dime, the one hauling the cars.  It's hitched up to the Sound and Power transformer.  

Sound and Power...........Train stuff P1010553
Sound and Power...........Train stuff P1010552

It would cost ya just a dime to fix yours.  Smile Smile  Those doors are impossible to find, I know, I tried.

Edit add.  So naturally I had to go looking for one.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/P-132-001-AKA-P-134-002-BOILER-FRONT-0-4-0-SHIFTER-AHM-RIVAROSSI-HO-SCALE-NEW/124160070113?hash=item1ce88451e1:g:sV4AAOSw5JFenRZf

$19.95 plus shipping.  About what I paid for a whole engine.  But, checking prices on them now......gone up since I bought - now run from a low of $55.00 to $165.59 UK.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down