Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Cox Electric Cox_ba12

Cox Electric Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Older ignition books
by lla Today at 4:17 pm

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Onelife Today at 3:54 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 3:33 pm

» *Cox Engine of The Month* Submit your pictures! -May 2024-
by getback Today at 10:23 am

» S1 Ringmaster
by Onelife Today at 8:40 am

» Speed plane - Crispy but not too crispy
by rsv1cox Today at 7:54 am

» O&R 23 & Brown Jr
by getback Today at 7:47 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by MauricioB Today at 2:31 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 4:16 pm

» Hemostat clamp/smooth-jaws
by roddie Yesterday at 3:48 pm

» Black Widow Run time
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 3:44 pm

» 1:64 scale Diecast (Hot Wheels)
by roddie Yesterday at 3:33 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Cox Electric Empty
Live on Patrol

Cox Electric

Go down

Cox Electric Empty Cox Electric

Post  cstatman Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:06 am

You ever spend too much on eBay, then take a few days of self-justification??

When I was a kid, I wanted a Cox .049 Dive Bombing Stuka so badly. My pal Billy Joe up the street had a Sopwith, but I didnt want no stinking biplane. I wanted the dive bomber.

My very overprotective mom was having NOTHING to do with fuel engines, motorcycles, or blondes. All weaknesses of mine now as an old man

Well, as a super-duper-birthday present, she bought me the Cox Fireball. its electric - it MUST be safe. Never flew. Would not hold a charge, would not spin the prop fast enough to fly, an all around bag-of-dookie as far as I was concerned. I even called their "support line" trying to find answers. It was never gonna fly. --- so? relegated to the box of other non-working products ni the back of the closet, till she threw it all away after I left for college.

I collect junk now, my house is full of things I had, things I wanted, cool things. My 15 yr old smartly recommended "dad, old china cabinets or curios! get all that stuff on display, under glass, so I dont have to dust it". He calls it my Nerd-Trophy room.

I overspent on eBay, and a Cox Fireball - in box - is headed to the Nerd Room soon.
Cox Electric S-l16010

cstatman
cstatman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Cox Electric Empty Re: Cox Electric

Post  sosam117 Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:58 am

If you hopped that thing up with the new brushless motors out there along with lipo cells, it would probably fly like a Cox plane with a Tee Dee .051 on the front of it.

Back then, the batteries were overweight NiCads and just doesn't have the power to weight ratio to the lipo packs have nowadays.
And, back then it had a brushed motor to spin that little prop.

I had one years ago and tried to fly it off of asphalt in a school parking lot.
It did great impression as a tether car. Rolled very fast on the asphalt but never really flew.
Still have it somewhere in the crawlspace under the house?

That gives me an idea for a winters project?
sosam117
sosam117
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Mon Nov 01, 2021 12:44 pm

Good for you cstat............nothing wrong with a second childhood. Buy that stuff, look at it, enjoy it.

My mother did the same when I joined the Navy, what she didn't toss out my older brother assumed. Fine with me, I left with the prettiest girl in town.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  cstatman Mon Nov 01, 2021 5:01 pm

Sosam! a brushless motor and Lipo!  you are evil! ... in a great way...  it probably would work, and as much as I hate to say it.. IF this one is TRULY sealed, NIB - I will leave it that way.

Have you seen the WillieNillys 250 series?   they are repopping some vintage kits, smaller, and absolutely with electric options.   https://willynillies.com/buy-here/ols/products/jr-skylark-250-beta-kit-pre-order-now-limited-quantities-available-shipping-3rd-week-of-december

I have been thinking about their electric/cox look-a-like mounts
Looks like a Cox motor at a distance, but with cool internals
https://willynillies.com/buy-here/ols/products/cox-td-010-power-pack

Sadly. I am addicted to castor and the super sexy 2 smoke smell....  Smile

Rsv1Cox!   Years ago, I got some excitement to find a Pink Hotwheels "Peeping Bomb" - like?  the one I had when....
ebay, found one.   price was up to $7.   Looked closer, it was from North East Texas, where I grew up.   Looked CLOSER!   My mom was selling it.   Smile.  She got the eBay bug early on, and knew all the junk in our closets was worth bucks.   Sold off my hot wheels, my comic book collection, even my lincoln logs.

i am somewhat 'collecting' the things that had important memories, or make me feel good to play with.   Most recent acquisition was a Victor Stanzel Lil'Rascal living room plane, with all sorts of great memories attached.   Kid thought it was so funny, he posted video of me flying it.   then I carefully removed batteries, wiped it down, and into a cabinet of nerd trophies...

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/oVYDMt88e0o

Glad to hear you ran off with the prettiest girl in town.  That's the way to do it.
cstatman
cstatman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  sosam117 Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:05 am

cstatman wrote:Sosam! a brushless motor and Lipo!  you are evil! ... in a great way...  it probably would work, and as much as I hate to say it.. IF this one is TRULY sealed, NIB - I will leave it that way.

Have you seen the WillieNillys 250 series?   they are repopping some vintage kits, smaller, and absolutely with electric options.   https://willynillies.com/buy-here/ols/products/jr-skylark-250-beta-kit-pre-order-now-limited-quantities-available-shipping-3rd-week-of-december

I have been thinking about their electric/cox look-a-like mounts
Looks like a Cox motor at a distance, but with cool internals
https://willynillies.com/buy-here/ols/products/cox-td-010-power-pack

Sadly. I am addicted to castor and the super sexy 2 smoke smell....  Smile

Rsv1Cox!   Years ago, I got some excitement to find a Pink Hotwheels "Peeping Bomb" - like?  the one I had when....
ebay, found one.   price was up to $7.   Looked closer, it was from North East Texas, where I grew up.   Looked CLOSER!   My mom was selling it.   Smile.  She got the eBay bug early on, and knew all the junk in our closets was worth bucks.   Sold off my hot wheels, my comic book collection, even my lincoln logs.

i am somewhat 'collecting' the things that had important memories, or make me feel good to play with.   Most recent acquisition was a Victor Stanzel Lil'Rascal living room plane, with all sorts of great memories attached.   Kid thought it was so funny, he posted video of me flying it.   then I carefully removed batteries, wiped it down, and into a cabinet of nerd trophies...

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/oVYDMt88e0o

Glad to hear you ran off with the prettiest girl in town.  That's the way to do it.

My "Fireball" is not new in the box.
It has a little damage but not any real bad damage.
Lots of scuff marks from the asphalt when it was trying to takeoff.
Never got it up to fly to really crash and break it up.
It's in the box but the box is pretty beat up.

One of many planes that I have that never really flew and didn't crack up.
Just got frustrated that it couldn't fly and stored it away in the crawlspace of my parent's house ( which I inherited when they both passed away 25 years ago.)

Have a few Kyosho electric planes in the crawlspace too (U/C and R/C) that never really flew.
Cheap ARF's back then when ARFs were coming out.
Heavy Nicads, brushed motors and not enough power. Maybe look at all of that stuff to see "if" updating to new stuff like a brushless motors and lipo batteries?

Back then when electric was coming out, manufactures just put an electric motor in a plane and told you in the instructions it needed batteries and go and fly it.
Did the manufactures really test the plane before selling it to the mass market? Probably not, and I have some planes in my crawlspace to prove it?
sosam117
sosam117
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  cstatman Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:39 am

yank em out, update them motors and batteries. You have the right idea!

could you imagine at a weekend fun-fly? IF you had one working? all the guys who had one "back when" would be looking at you as if you were a wizard with mad skills. it would be "how the heck did he DO that?" and "mine never ever flew"

Smile. do it!!!! do it NOW! Smile Smile Smile
cstatman
cstatman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  sosam117 Tue Nov 02, 2021 12:26 pm

cstatman wrote:yank em out, update them motors and batteries.    You have the right idea!

could you imagine at a weekend fun-fly?   IF you had one working?  all the guys who had one "back when" would be looking at you as if you were a wizard with mad skills.    it would be "how the heck did he DO that?" and "mine never ever flew"

Smile.   do it!!!!   do it NOW!   Smile Smile Smile

Like the Kyosho Jet Stream GP-10 I did over the last winter and took it to the boating pond this year.
Cox Electric 00_kyo11
Cox Electric 00a_ky11

And the Kyosho Riviera sailboat which I had to fix the sails on.
Cox Electric Old_ri10

Like cstatman said about the guys remembering seeing those boats years ago.
All of the boats that were at the pond were electric.
sosam117
sosam117
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:54 pm

I had one of the Electro chargers in 1976. It did fly and I enjoyed it. I think it was like a Piper Comanche. It was white/green/black.I remember the arming was done via the bellcrank. The biggest problem was the short fly time. It wasn't maneuverable, it was just fun.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Yabby Tue Nov 02, 2021 4:22 pm

Ken Cook wrote:   It wasn't maneuverable, it was just fun.
Thumbs Up Thumbs Up cheers sunny

Yabby
Yabby
Yabby
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  cstatman Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:21 pm

the electro charger arrived..... its still in box, i am not williing to pull from box - split sides, swap batteries

Its on a shelf of nerd-trophies

I forgot how lightweight and flimsy the plastic is.. Smile
cstatman
cstatman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri Nov 12, 2021 2:27 pm

You have self-control.

I have a few of those adhesive sealed boxed models, every one had been ripped open by the previous owner. I have a couple of blister packed Cox Star War models unopened but that's it. Nothing that I would want to open anyway. But, they are nice to look at and are a Cox product.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  cstatman Sat Nov 13, 2021 7:16 pm

less self control, more "i know it aint ever gonna fly"

I can look at the box, and it reminds me of my mom. She did NOT want me messing around with dangerous gas engines

Smile ha!
cstatman
cstatman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down