Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Car Batteries - Page 2 Cox_ba12

Car Batteries - Page 2 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Fox .35 Modifications
by aspeed Today at 8:06 pm

» Happy Anzac Day!
by 706jim Today at 6:44 pm

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by MauricioB Today at 4:08 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 3:56 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by rsv1cox Today at 7:17 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Today at 6:20 am

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by Levent Suberk Today at 12:23 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Yesterday at 10:25 pm

» Micro Draco Gets to Fly on a Beautiful Morning.
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:15 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:06 pm

» Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 5:12 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Yesterday at 3:39 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Car Batteries - Page 2 Empty
Live on Patrol

Car Batteries

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Thinking Re: Car Batteries

Post  rsv1cox Fri Feb 04, 2022 4:59 pm

Good point Rod, and I wasn't aware of that.

I keep the Nissan in the remote garage and generally lock it as the garage door opener is always active (not keyed) and can open the attached to the house two car garage door. This gives anyone direct access to my house day or night. But I don't always lock it, so that is something that I will have to look into.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Sat Feb 05, 2022 3:03 pm

Coxfledgling wrote:Anyone come across a battery that has changed polarity yet ?
Yes. Got called out to a customer who had removed the battery to recharge it. When he refitted the battery it blew an alternator fuse. The diodes in the alternatore were allowing too much current flow in the wrong direction.
After a while I discovered that it was charged in reverse. I didn't even know that could happen but I took it to my local battery guy who confirmed that he'd seen it before. Fully discharged and recharged it and it was all good.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  gkamysz Sat Feb 05, 2022 3:27 pm

The easiest isn't usually the best. If the drain is something like a radio amplifier, it may not turn on until some time after getting power. The proper way to test this is to measure current and pull fuses one at a time to find the system causing the load. Alternately, you can measure voltage drop across fuses, but you'll be looking at millivolt or smaller values.

Once I knew there was a problem and which circuit it was on, the internet quickly lead me to a couple common culprits.
gkamysz
gkamysz
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Davenz13 Sat Feb 05, 2022 4:04 pm

Just a few days ago, mate with a Triumph Trident said his battery had gone flat and when he tried to connect another battery it sparked.
He assured me he had the connections right and everything on the bike was switched off. I had a fair idea what it was. The Zenor diode, used to divert excess charging current away from the battery, had gone closed circuit. Disconnected diode, connected battery, no more spark. I have struck this issue several times before.

Back in the day many flat batteries were caused by glove box and boot/trunk lights not not turning off when shut.
Davenz13
Davenz13
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Feb 05, 2022 5:16 pm

That is a thought. The Nissan doesn't have a glove box, just a couple of unlit cubby-holes. But it does have a trunk light, I'll pull the lamp and see if that fixes it.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sun Feb 06, 2022 6:27 am

Oldenginerod wrote:
Coxfledgling wrote:Anyone come across a battery that has changed polarity yet ?
Yes.  Got called out to a customer who had removed the battery to recharge it.  When he refitted the battery it blew an alternator fuse.  The diodes in the alternatore were allowing too much current flow in the wrong direction.
After a while I discovered that it was charged in reverse.  I didn't even know that could happen but I took it to my local battery guy who confirmed that he'd seen it before.  Fully discharged and recharged it and it was all good.
I use to buy batteries from a recycling place and I noticed one day i was getting a battery and the guy ask witch side the positive was on the he hooked the charger to it and marked it so it could have went either way . I found that interesting Shocked
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Mon Feb 07, 2022 8:21 pm

Wow.. cool thread here. Cool Most of you probably know what a "Swan-style" disconnect is..

Here's a pic;

Car Batteries - Page 2 Swan-s10

At approx. $10.00 (USD) the Swan disconnect allows just that; disconnecting your battery from whatever it's connected to, with a simple twist of a knob. If installed in your vehicle and "switched-off".. the battery is completely isolated from whatever it's connected to. You "can" however connect a battery charger/maintainer in the conventional way.. if desired.

It should be mentioned.. that disconnection from a modern motor-vehicle harness will require resetting any preset radio stations.. as well as some other functions.. such as would be necessary if changing/swapping-out the battery itself.

The Swan disconnect could come in handy "if" as has been stated by others here; their vehicle's electric system encounters a "drain" from an unknown source.. which depletes the main battery from being able to start the engine. Tracing a dead-short in your average 12V neg. grounded automotive electrical system can run into several hours of shop-labor.. at their hourly rate.. So.. it may be more economical to raise the bonnet.. and turn a knob.. and manually tune the radio station.. until it's time to spend the $$ to trace the short.

Back to Car Batteries.. the "Ever Start" (Walmart brand) has actually been highly rated.

Car Batteries - Page 2 Everst10

I purchased an "Ever Start" Marine (deep-cycle) battery several (10?) years ago, for the soul purpose of providing 12VDC for inverters (12VDC "in" 110VAC "out") for when we lose power here at home. I typically power-up the CATV router.. and check for a signal. Most often I've found that the data lines are uninterrupted. The LED light-bulbs are great in this scenario.. because an average room can be lit using one table lamp.. at far less wattage than the tungsten lamps that they've replaced. This reserves power for operating/receiving broadcast radio/TV news updates.. not to mention powering-up a home office.. if need be.

My Deep-cycle battery is similar to the one pictured below;

Car Batteries - Page 2 Everst12

Our water comes from a well.. and the pump runs on 220VAC.. so we're "screwed" when we lose power..  Laughing "time to fill the buckets.." My main concern in freezing weather is heating our house. I wonder if my boiler-circuit (forced hot-water/oil-fired) can be wired with a "pigtail" for connection to an inverter; to be used only in the event of power-loss?

What I worry the most about.. is our water pipes freezing; due to a prolonged power-outage in sub-freezing temps.

Lately I wonder whether to spend the $$ on a wood stove (and the triple-wall SS chimney-pipe $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$) or to have a transfer-switch installed.. for when I can afford to buy a generator to connect to it...  Huh...

We lost power once; years ago for several days, when hurricane "Irene" hit the New England area.. but it was in the warmer season. The swimming-pool water could be used to flush the toilet and we could cook on the gas (propane) grill outdoors.

We've put-off the cost.. betting-against the risk.. but it's just a roll of the dice.. isn't it?
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2