Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

The "Silver Lining" a start - Page 3 Cox_ba12

The "Silver Lining" a start - Page 3 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Indexing COX cylinders
by davidll1984 Today at 7:56 am

» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by Yabby Today at 7:47 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Yabby Today at 6:33 am

» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by latole Today at 5:44 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 10:14 pm

» Postage stamp backplates
by JPvelo Yesterday at 8:52 pm

» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by roddie Yesterday at 8:20 pm

» Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 5:18 pm

» My friend Ramón, his Cox .09 & Cox .010
by MauricioB Yesterday at 12:31 pm

» Parts Cox TD-4
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 8:40 am

» On ebay a very special Cox engine
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 6:32 am

» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by Admin Yesterday at 12:51 am

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

The "Silver Lining" a start - Page 3 Empty
Live on Patrol

The "Silver Lining" a start

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

The "Silver Lining" a start - Page 3 Empty Re: The "Silver Lining" a start

Post  Levent Suberk Mon Aug 01, 2022 4:31 pm

That model remembered Stipa Caproni Very Happy
The "Silver Lining" a start - Page 3 4389l-10
The "Silver Lining" a start - Page 3 4389l-11
Levent Suberk
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Mon Aug 01, 2022 4:44 pm

GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Mon Aug 01, 2022 5:28 pm

Ducted fan...............I ain't even tryin' that!!!~

But,

The "Silver Lining" a start - Page 3 P1013720
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Mon Aug 01, 2022 5:33 pm

rdw777 wrote:Thanks Bob, It’s a fun little project Very Happy

I located the bell crank opening center about 1/8 forward of the lead out guide center for a little line rake….The article states not much off sets are needed but does mention some fin off set and also keep the weight forward….. It also said they never built the 1/2 A version so we are a little on our own here….
I think if you hang and balance it like you did on the P-26 should get in the ball park

The "Silver Lining" a start - Page 3 799bf810

Robert, I never did find (or could not load) that Kitten article. Is it basically the same plane and what you are working from? I know the Silver Lining has a sourse, but thought it was expanded from someones imagination.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Mon Aug 01, 2022 5:57 pm

Funny you mentioned ducted fan. I think it was in and around 1970, my dad used a large Hawaiian punch can as the fuse with the bottom and top removed. Using the bottom, he cut it in half and that was soldered onto a piece of music wire which was the elevator internally. The engine crutch held the engine bellcrank and gear wire which was a pine block. For the life of me, I kick myself for removing that engine and never trying it myself. I witnessed it running one time and it was very fast. It would come off of the ground and back to the ground.
    I still have that TD .09.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rdw777 Mon Aug 01, 2022 7:08 pm

Hi Bob, I have been referencing the Manx Cat plan and article on OZ…

https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=3402

It mainly deals with the larger size version but does show a simple view of a 10” version as well…. It’s not exactly like the Silver Lining but close…. I give the SL about a 50 - 50 chance between kit or scratch built… Just hard to tell….Maybe someone here knows more…I have never seen a kit advertised but the article was a little before my time… 1957….Best guess is maybe it was a sort of random kit and mom helped the son paint it…. Purely speculation…I guess I say that remembering my mom painting my pine wood derby cars…

Did you get my reply to the PM?…I’m not sure of the difference of Out box and Sent box on my side

More fun with SL tomorrow…. You know it lured me away from my pending RC build LOL

Robert
rdw777
rdw777
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Yabby Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:02 am

Your build looks to be progressing really well bob Thumbs Up Ive attached some photos of my built up version. Its pretty rough a bit like the uncle no one in the family talks about. lol! I am going to have to wait for my Lad to be around to launch it, I dont reckon it will launch well from the launch table/stooge Ive made. I have a suspicion the flight may not end well anyway, when it runs out of fuel and has to land, and I am going to try really hard such that the landing is not an unplanned powered landing. lol! First flight anyway. cheers sunny thanks to yourself and the others that have contributed plans. drawings, links, stencils, photos, ideas, as its certainly distracted my attention from normal stuff to a very fun build and hopefully it flies. cheers

I think the ducted fan sounds like a great idea! Ive so often thought about building one as they seem so different, but it does my head in thinking how I might do it. I sort of get started a bit and then dont progress on it. ( Yet! ) Ken, I like your story as to the ducted fan your father built Thumbs Up Ive read stuff about them on other forums and websites and its mostly been negative, but Im not too fussed if its the best or worst way to power a vehichle with a Cox or any other Nitro engine, just more interested in doing it and mucking around with one because its different.

The "Silver Lining" a start - Page 3 20220810

The "Silver Lining" a start - Page 3 20220811

Airplane cheers sunny

Yabby
Yabby
Yabby
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rdw777 Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:03 am

Looking good Yabby…. Yes, Silver Lining redirected me a bit as well…. But a fun little build… Besides, I don’t have a double winger in my hanger!!!

On the other end of the SL spectrum, A little progress on the no wind/short line version…

The "Silver Lining" a start - Page 3 2ad36110
rdw777
rdw777
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Tue Aug 02, 2022 12:24 pm

Thanks Robert, I got your Manx Cat link, saved it this time so it won't go missing.  Yes, just answered your PM.

Looks like your electric is nearly ready to go.  I'm eager to see how it flies.  I'm stuck on my bellcranks location.  If I wasn't set on duplicating the Silver Lining I would just hang it as normal under or above the wing.  When I'm unsure I just stop, so it sits.  But eventually I will cut a slot for the bellcrank and mount the pivot pin vertically.  I can always fill it back in and mount it under wing.

Mounted wheels (for now) and added a prop to get a better CG.  Almost back to square one.

The "Silver Lining" a start - Page 3 P1013722
The "Silver Lining" a start - Page 3 P1013721

Good job Yabby, now I understand your bellcrank installation.  Unique!  Safety tipped yellow prop and with that engine it should really haul.  Post flight, have your Lad standing by with smelling salts and a spanner ready to unscrew you from the ground.  Smile

Bob

BTW, love those pins.........tacking the wing on temporarly? And the light weight wheels. Wierd propeller. Got a head-on view?
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rdw777 Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:03 pm

Thanks Bob, Yes, those props are weird, Course they were on a cheapie drone… They’re actually nice quality…. They have a set screw instead of just push on….I’m using the left hand set from the drone for what it’s worth…. Yes will get that head shot next shop time…
Yes, the pins were just for mock up… Still have a way to go…The wheels were in my junk parts box from a long time ago….They are made from 1/16 lite ply….Contemplating a very light weight white base coat… Been raiding my wife’s craft paints and watering them down…
Shhh!!! Don’t tell her  lol!  lol!  lol!

I think you’re fine with the BC near the middle of the fuse… Just brace that pin good on the inboard side…. The MC plan shows that location just a little below the thrust line… Probably to help keep the outboard wing down…. Just guessing, I’m just a would be CL guy…
rdw777
rdw777
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rdw777 Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:53 am

The "Silver Lining" a start - Page 3 9987ec10

Thumbs Up
rdw777
rdw777
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed Aug 03, 2022 5:08 pm

Interesting set-up Robert, that motor has to be light as a feather. What type of battery are you going to use Lipo probably and where are you going to place it?

My son's foam AT-6, a great little flyer. Lipo is next to nothing in weight also. I once nose dived it into asphault, rearrainged the motor and continued flying.

The "Silver Lining" a start - Page 3 P1013730
The "Silver Lining" a start - Page 3 P1013729

Bit the bullet and cut the opening for the bell crank. Rough around the edges but sanding and spackling will fix that. Epoxy the pin in and cover with filler. But before I do that I will have to install the music wire lead-outs (per original) and the guide. Will be about the last thing to go in.

The "Silver Lining" a start - Page 3 P1013731
The "Silver Lining" a start - Page 3 P1013732

The "Silver Lining" a start - Page 3 P1013734
The "Silver Lining" a start - Page 3 P1013733
The "Silver Lining" a start - Page 3 P1013735
The "Silver Lining" a start - Page 3 P1013737

Seems like I use every tool in the house to do even the most simple thing.
The "Silver Lining" a start - Page 3 P1013736
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rdw777 Thu Aug 04, 2022 6:50 am

Yes, Single li po… I’m sure similar in size also with the motor/gearbox in the AT-6….Timer goes on the other side…It has a micro switch I will try to trip with a wiper on the pushrod…It’s actually intended for free flight ….Times in 10 sec intervals up to 50 sec depending which resistor is being used..,

The "Silver Lining" a start - Page 3 5f215d10
The "Silver Lining" a start - Page 3 85639910

Not a lot on the web on tiny CL biplanes but this is an interesting read..

https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=8169
rdw777
rdw777
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:54 pm

Larry Scarinzi designed the Queen Bee. Larry is a friend of mine. I built a Queen Bee and we flew it at Brodak's when Larry was present. he signed the wing but I never cleared it. It somewhat ran a bit. Larry is sadly no longer flying. He was flying about 2 years ago. We generally get together for the New Jersey Combat Festival in September. I'm up in the air about this year as I have no new models built. My Queen Bee is good flyer, sadly though the Pee Wee carries little to no fuel.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rdw777 Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:30 am

That’s really cool Ken, He sounds like a colorful fellow…. The descriptions of his flights with the QB sound very entertaining…. Thanks for sharing your experience with the QB and its designer
rdw777
rdw777
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:45 am

Neat little plane, eleven inch span, open cockpit, I like those and Bipes wear them exceptionally well.

Launched with the engine running backwards and recovered with no damage. Smile Wish I had been there. I can't say that I have ever done it, seems it would be near impossible not to notice. Maybe instead of a second S/L one of those.

Near ready for assembly. Final sanding and rig the elevator control rod and that's it. Paint every individual piece a light coat, assemble and hit it with a final coat then trim. Built in bell crank complicates things with the Z bends, think I will have to attach both ends then slide the tail assembly in and position.

The "Silver Lining" a start - Page 3 P1013739
The "Silver Lining" a start - Page 3 P1013738

rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:27 am

rdw777 wrote:….Times in 10 sec intervals up to 50 sec depending which resistor is being used..,

Did you build your timer?  I've built a number of circuits using the 555, but this seems to have a much lower parts count and is a simple digital switch. I'm guessing this circuit triggers a MOSFET (or high current transistor) by charging a capacitor then drains the cap through the resistor until the MOSFET switches off.
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  rdw777 Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:58 pm

Andrew, No I bought this one from the Williamett Modeler’s Club in Oregon…Got interested in E-20 free flight for a while…. You are correct in its operation, Initial trip of the switch charges a capacitor and chosen resistor regulates discharge and output thru the MOSFET….. Penn Valley Hobby used to sell a kit you had to assemble and I did do a couple of those some years ago…

I’ve done a project or two with the 555 timers as well…There was some guys on RCG about twenty years ago hacking those micro Zip Zap RC cars from Walmart and making the electronics fly a plane…Steering was strictly binary so we used the timer and a pot to pulse the right-left signal from the transmitter making poor boy proportional….Also changed out two surface mount MOSFETS on the RX throttle output to handle added power of the of a bigger motor…. I still have one of the actuators I made for these planes
rdw777
rdw777
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:57 pm

We fooled around a bit with MOSFETs back in TD-A school when I was in the Navy.

Sounds like your rig Robert is a modern version of Escapement, or George's avatar Galloping Ghost?  I have a couple of them, fun to watch.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=galloping+ghost+actuators&qpvt=galloping+ghost+actuators&view=detail&mid=7A75A31B36E54456A1097A75A31B36E54456A109&&FORM=VRDGAR&ru=%2Fvideos%2Fsearch%3Fq%3Dgalloping%2Bghost%2Bactuators%26qpvt%3Dgalloping%2Bghost%2Bactuators%26FORM%3DVDRE

Both you and Andrew are probably well familiar with them.

A little more progress on the S/L.  Cut the elevator control rod.  Always a touchy situtation for me. I still have to trim the bitter ends and make the decision which to install first, the bell crank or the elevator pivot.  Can't do both and epoxy the tail section in permanently.

The "Silver Lining" a start - Page 3 P1013740
The "Silver Lining" a start - Page 3 P1013741
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:17 pm

rsv1cox wrote:..............Both you and Andrew are probably well familiar with them...........

A little more progress on the S/L.  Cut the elevator control rod.  Always a touchy situtation for me. I still have to trim the bitter ends and make the decision which to install first, the bell crank or the elevator pivot.  Can't do both and epoxy the tail section in permanently.

Your build looks to be coming along quite nicely -- finding solutions (bell crank or elevator) while building is what makes it fun!

I learned to fly RC using a Controlaire TX, Rand Galloping Ghost actuator and a receiver that I built while in college.  The plane is long gone, but I still have the TX, RX, actuator and Enya 15 III engine.
The "Silver Lining" a start - Page 3 Contro10
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  rdw777 Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:15 pm

Bob, Yes sorta similar to Galloping Ghost..The actuators were a magnet that was hinged so it could move inside a copper coil…. Pulsed to get an average rudder position… I’ll photo one next shop time..

I’m at the same point on SL….Think I’ll connect BC first and leave the wiggle room to find center in the control horn as the glue is setting …

Love that old transmitter Andrew…. And built from a kit!!…. Those were fun… Mine was an Ace Digital Commander … Wish I had kept it now…

Robert
rdw777
rdw777
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:26 pm

Yes, if you cement both the control horn and the bell crank in there is no way you can bend/twist those L shaped ends into the holes.  Although I have used threaded cleavises for my R/C planes which would work here and they would be adjustable for length.  Just not what the original builder used.

Really debating whether or not to paint the face of the engine mount.  I like the natural mahogany look.  

Getting closer.  Smile

My first, I built a four channel Blue Max kit.  Put it in a big Lanier low wing monoplane.

The "Silver Lining" a start - Page 3 Scan_134

Ah, found a picture of it on-line.

The "Silver Lining" a start - Page 3 Vintag10
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:22 pm

rsv1cox wrote:My first, I built a four channel Blue Max kit.  Put it in a big Lanier low wing monoplane.
The "Silver Lining" a start - Page 3 Scan_134
Ah yes, the infamous Lanier ARF's, I remember those from the 1970's. I bought the Pinto, their 50" wingspan shoulder wing 3 channel, but gave the unfinished kit to a friend when I got my first job out of college and moved to California back in 1982.
rsv1cox wrote:Ah, found a picture of it on-line.
The "Silver Lining" a start - Page 3 Vintag10
It is interesting how by deja vu we encounter this same topic 7 years later.

https://www.coxengineforum.com/t8740-cox-sanwa-radio#111141

GallopingGhostler on Sep 08, 2015 wrote:Bob, I'm not familiar with that kit radio you built, but the Vintage R/C Society (VRCS) or someone on the Ace R/C Yahoo Groups site would probably be able to give you more info on that radio. Not to hijack this thread, but this is the Charlie's R/C (Cannon 810) kit radio that I built in the late 1970's.
The "Silver Lining" a start - Page 3 Charli10

I've been considering doing a 2.4 GHz conversion on it for nostalgia sake.
Never did the conversion, but I think that those kits may no longer be available. Could be mistaken, but I heard that the US Gubmet a few years ago had a lawsuit with huge fines with Hobby King over those.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:20 am

Paint, two light coats.  "Paint and Primer in one" Paint stick idea ripped off from Kim.  Decided to mask off the engine mount.  Assemble and lay the last coat.  To damp to paint outside.

The "Silver Lining" a start - Page 3 P1013752
The "Silver Lining" a start - Page 3 P1013753
The "Silver Lining" a start - Page 3 P1013751
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down