Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

The new Silver Lining/Airtruk/Piper Cub/Grumman Avenger/Cox .010 build Cox_ba12

The new Silver Lining/Airtruk/Piper Cub/Grumman Avenger/Cox .010 build Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by rsv1cox Today at 7:17 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Today at 6:20 am

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by getback Today at 6:17 am

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by Levent Suberk Today at 12:23 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Yesterday at 10:25 pm

» Micro Draco Gets to Fly on a Beautiful Morning.
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:15 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:06 pm

» Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 5:12 pm

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Onelife Yesterday at 4:36 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Yesterday at 3:39 pm

» [solved]most Efficent Glowhead Clip for Norvel Engine
by batjac Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:33 pm

» TD/Medallion .049 fuel draw issues
by Ken Cook Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:18 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

The new Silver Lining/Airtruk/Piper Cub/Grumman Avenger/Cox .010 build Empty
Live on Patrol

The new Silver Lining/Airtruk/Piper Cub/Grumman Avenger/Cox .010 build

Go down

The new Silver Lining/Airtruk/Piper Cub/Grumman Avenger/Cox .010 build Empty The new Silver Lining/Airtruk/Piper Cub/Grumman Avenger/Cox .010 build

Post  rsv1cox Thu Sep 29, 2022 2:43 pm

Or - Avengeritis.........

Each one of these is a learning experience for me and I don't let it go to waste.  The Avenger has always played second fiddle to other Navy (I'm retired Navy) aircraft of WW2 vintage an area of special interest to me.  

I always knew that President George Bush (Bush 41) was shot down in the Pacific in one, losing his gunner but being rescued by a submarine a day later, movie footage of the event exists.  But I did not know that the actor Paul Newman (HUD, Cool Hand Luke) was a WW2 gunner in one.  

Check the tail signature

The new Silver Lining/Airtruk/Piper Cub/Grumman Avenger/Cox .010 build Grumma10

My intent is to build it along the lines of the original, center line 1/16" balsa and side-boards incorporating the rear downward line (see Avenger drawing) of the Silver Lining with the side-board - profile like.  

The new Silver Lining/Airtruk/Piper Cub/Grumman Avenger/Cox .010 build Grumma10

The Ginger Ale can might be a bit large (Cox .010) so I will probably use the V8 can instead, besides it's better for ya.  I'm going to play around with the size, but probably will just cut out the illustrations and lay them on balsa.  

The new Silver Lining/Airtruk/Piper Cub/Grumman Avenger/Cox .010 build P1014192
The new Silver Lining/Airtruk/Piper Cub/Grumman Avenger/Cox .010 build P1014193
The new Silver Lining/Airtruk/Piper Cub/Grumman Avenger/Cox .010 build P1014191

Still........I don't understand why no-one else is coming along with all those dormant Cox engines you have laying around and enough spare balsa to build a battleship....

You smart guys could build a better example in half the time that it takes me and do a better job as well.  What's the name of this forum again.  Robert, Yabby, and me need company.   Huh... Smile

Build something, top of your head, no rules.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

The new Silver Lining/Airtruk/Piper Cub/Grumman Avenger/Cox .010 build Empty Re: The new Silver Lining/Airtruk/Piper Cub/Grumman Avenger/Cox .010 build

Post  MauricioB Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:27 pm

hey friend!, I see your work and I'm here too!...Present and Sign....mmmmm....well I don't know if so much...hahaha Very Happy Very Happy I Love This Forum!

https://www.coxengineforum.com/t16476p100-another-cox-010-converted-to-r-c-p-51-mustang#215195
MauricioB
MauricioB
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

The new Silver Lining/Airtruk/Piper Cub/Grumman Avenger/Cox .010 build Empty Re: The new Silver Lining/Airtruk/Piper Cub/Grumman Avenger/Cox .010 build

Post  rsv1cox Fri Sep 30, 2022 7:02 am

MauricioB wrote:hey friend!, I see your work and I'm here too!...Present and Sign....mmmmm....well I don't know if so much...hahaha Very Happy  Very Happy  I Love This Forum!

https://www.coxengineforum.com/t16476p100-another-cox-010-converted-to-r-c-p-51-mustang#215195

You set the standard for these builds Mauricio and I follow every one.

I was thinking about something like the off-beat off the top of your head kit bashed pot bellied original "Silver Lining" designed thingy.  Smile  I chose the Avenger because it favored that design.

No stunts, just round and round.

The new Silver Lining/Airtruk/Piper Cub/Grumman Avenger/Cox .010 build P1014194
The new Silver Lining/Airtruk/Piper Cub/Grumman Avenger/Cox .010 build P1014195

Thanks - Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rdw777 Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:28 pm

That’s a neat subject Bob, I always liked the Navy blue color schemes….Neat idea on the V-8 cowling… ‘Sides that, it’s pretty good stuff Very Happy

There used to be an Avenger based about ten miles from where I live… And a lot of other warbirds as well…. They belonged to Connie Edwards and were based on his ranch ….I was fortunate to be able to go see them a few times in the past ….Google his name sometime when you have a chance…. Interesting fellow
rdw777
rdw777
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:02 pm

rdw777 wrote:That’s a neat subject Bob, I always liked the Navy blue color schemes….Neat idea on the V-8 cowling… ‘Sides that, it’s pretty good stuff Very Happy

There used to be an Avenger based about ten miles from where I live… And a lot of other warbirds as well…. They belonged to Connie Edwards and were based on his ranch ….I was fortunate to be able to go see them a few times in the past ….Google his name sometime when you have a chance…. Interesting fellow

His name has been mentioned in Air Classics magazine and he even made the cover - sorta.

The new Silver Lining/Airtruk/Piper Cub/Grumman Avenger/Cox .010 build Air_c_10

Wlison Connell "Connie" Edwards, shown here with his rare two-seat Me-109, died May 3 at age 85. Edwards learned to fly as a teen and later spent decades performing secretive contract flying for government agencies in the 1950s and 1960s, much of it in Central and South America.

We shared the same age.

The new Silver Lining/Airtruk/Piper Cub/Grumman Avenger/Cox .010 build 0506_c10

I keep messing with the things.  Wing will be simple, diagonal cut off the center section and a little dihedral on the ends.  Fuselage, cut out the center section balsa leaving just a frame, sheet with 1/16" balsa.  Probably a better way to do it but at this age I'm not a stick and paper guy.  

The new Silver Lining/Airtruk/Piper Cub/Grumman Avenger/Cox .010 build P1014199
The new Silver Lining/Airtruk/Piper Cub/Grumman Avenger/Cox .010 build P1014198
The new Silver Lining/Airtruk/Piper Cub/Grumman Avenger/Cox .010 build P1014200

I said I'm not a stick and paper guy, but I did just pick up this Guillows kit on ebay.  Sucker for punishment.  That Avengeritis thing.  Sad

The new Silver Lining/Airtruk/Piper Cub/Grumman Avenger/Cox .010 build Guillo13
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:41 am

I could have built it twice as large and that little Cox would still pull it around, but I wanted to maintain the original "Silver Lining" size and theme.  I did make the wing larger than the picture both in length and chord.  Just doesn't look it.

The new Silver Lining/Airtruk/Piper Cub/Grumman Avenger/Cox .010 build P1014218
The new Silver Lining/Airtruk/Piper Cub/Grumman Avenger/Cox .010 build P1014219

Is it possible/advisable to lay the .010 over on it's side at 90 degrees?  Anyone ever done it?

The new Silver Lining/Airtruk/Piper Cub/Grumman Avenger/Cox .010 build P1014220
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  944_Jim Sun Oct 02, 2022 3:41 pm

That's looking sharp, Bob!
.Will you do "tether control on the end of a stick," as in the plans, or are you planning two-line CL?

One of my stuck builds is the Typhoon from this series with 120% enlarged stab and a Lil Jumpin Bean wing. Your build is driving me to re-engage my 1/2 done Tiffie. However, it is to be powered by a product-type reedie. I decided early on that I would use the shapes, but not the wood, and the engine would be upright. However, it gets tough fitting the fuel line through the firewall and under the engine without the wing getting in the way. I learned this on the other stuck build, my Scientific Red Tiger. On that one, I notched the LE of the wing in order to allow for enough bend in the fuel line to keep it from kinking (ouch). I bet that one will fly a few times, and then be relegated to wall art.

I saw on FB the Stuka from this series. The builder included a lead-out guide very much like the 1/2A Scientifics, with the bellcrank platform inside the fuselage. He did it to simulate a CL model, and nailed the image perfectly (except no flying).

So I have that Stuka and the Avenger waiting for me. I expect I'll use my .020 engines with horseshoe backplates and fuel tanks in the fuselage. More than likely, those engines will be side-winders with the NVA sticking out one side behind the cylinder, and the fuel tank feeding out of the fuselage then back in to the spraybar...very much like the Brits do.

I'm looking forward to watching you with yours as it comes to completion.

Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Mon Oct 03, 2022 7:45 am

All my scratch builds/rescues are built to fly two line control line or R/C, plastic or balsa save the ground pounder tethered solid pine tri-motors. All except a couple of plastic models which need fuel lines attached could be flown right now. Inventory is presently right around 50 not including kits or partially built.

The design of your Typhoon begs to have the engine installed inverted. I have often thought of building one. I never had a problem starting or running the engines inverted in my P-38.

Looking forward to reading about your Stuka and Avenger builds. Misery loves company. Smile
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:33 am

To answer my own question, yes you can lay the .010 over 90 degrees but you have to do it on the inboard side to maintain the fuel pick-up in the proper position.  Outboard side the pickup is way to high.  Also to mount it on a firewall you would have to remove the cylinder to screw in the top mounting screw.  Not sure what I will do, but the side mount has it's advantages in this application.

Edit.....Scratch that, either orientation will work inboard/outboard but the cylinder will have to be removed to mount.

The new Silver Lining/Airtruk/Piper Cub/Grumman Avenger/Cox .010 build P1014230
The new Silver Lining/Airtruk/Piper Cub/Grumman Avenger/Cox .010 build P1014231
The new Silver Lining/Airtruk/Piper Cub/Grumman Avenger/Cox .010 build P1014232
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down