Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

New P-38 profile scratch build log - Page 5 Cox_ba12

New P-38 profile scratch build log - Page 5 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Fox .35 Modifications
by Onelife Today at 8:12 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by roddie Today at 6:51 pm

» *Cox Engine of The Month* Submit your pictures! -May 2024-
by Admin Today at 6:46 pm

» Post your Older ignition books
by lla Today at 6:34 pm

» S1 Ringmaster
by Onelife Today at 8:40 am

» Speed plane - Crispy but not too crispy
by rsv1cox Today at 7:54 am

» O&R 23 & Brown Jr
by getback Today at 7:47 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by MauricioB Today at 2:31 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 4:16 pm

» Hemostat clamp/smooth-jaws
by roddie Yesterday at 3:48 pm

» Black Widow Run time
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 3:44 pm

» 1:64 scale Diecast (Hot Wheels)
by roddie Yesterday at 3:33 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

New P-38 profile scratch build log - Page 5 Empty
Live on Patrol

New P-38 profile scratch build log

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Go down

New P-38 profile scratch build log - Page 5 Empty Re: New P-38 profile scratch build log

Post  rdw777 Fri Nov 10, 2023 6:47 am

I’d say lots of practice with the engines and know ‘em well….And remember the short take off of those B-25’s on the Dolittle raid…. A challenging place to fly but with the right tweaks and a little luck it just might work ….

Robert
rdw777
rdw777
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

New P-38 profile scratch build log - Page 5 Empty Re: New P-38 profile scratch build log

Post  Ken Cook Sat Nov 11, 2023 4:07 am

What your asking is even a challenge for a well seasoned pilot. If the ground has a dip in it, your likely to favor that dip when rotating. You also would require a marker to establish your footing. Having not flown in quite some time could become very troublesome looking down and back at the plane. This would literally make you very dizzy and uneven. I would also take a ball of clay and mash it on the outboard tip. I would use a piece about 1" x 1". This would enable immediate line tension even slow. Even if it fell off, all it needs to do is stay on long enough to get airborne and 1-2 laps.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sat Nov 11, 2023 8:19 am

BOB how about that field you wee cleaning ?? Alot more room there and go to 42' Like Ken said some tip weight for line tension / card board take off land in the grass . I would bee scared at what your showing / with very little line time in too Vets Day Two Cents Turkey
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike1484 Sat Nov 11, 2023 8:47 am

Maybe some left-handed (clockwise turning) props might add a bit of line tension. I think the lines should be at least 35'to 42'  foot long and use some of that nice fishing line that is stronger and thinner than the old dacron stuff. F.  ind someplace where you have some room to fly that beautiful bird . Good luck with the maiden flight Bob.

Mike1484 Vets Day
Mike1484
Mike1484
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Nov 11, 2023 10:35 am

Thanks Eric and Mike. The field is my best option but I would have to lay a lot of cardboard for a proper take-off run. I have saved some up but I don't think it's nearly enough. I have flown a Cox PT-19 there, but I think Mark tossed it. Still, after a few laps I was so dizzy I had to dump it.

I could warmup with my flaps plane and longer lines. Mark flew it in the field a couple of years ago and did not like it, but no crash. But I would really like to see my escapement converted to C/L plane fly but not by me. Big wheels might enable it to be taken-off from grass. I like that one.

New P-38 profile scratch build log - Page 5 P1016598
New P-38 profile scratch build log - Page 5 P1016597

I do have some "spider-wire", hadn't thought of it in awhile. Will look into it and re-measure.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rdw777 Sat Nov 11, 2023 2:21 pm

Bob, I have seen rolls of thin but strong cardboard on construction sites to protect flooring… I think you can get it a larger home stores…. Just don’t know how much is in a roll…. Would be nice to have a long runway with no seams
rdw777
rdw777
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sat Nov 11, 2023 4:41 pm

Hi Robert! That model really pops.. sitting there outdoors in the natural light of day.

New P-38 profile scratch build log - Page 5 P1016511

Really nice job Robert! I learned to fly on sub 30 foot Dacron.. for pretty much the same reason as you. My safe-circle permitted 26 foot lines.. which gave me less than 3 feet clearance between two opposing stone walls, a high tree branch hazard and the shrubs along the side-foundation of the house. There was a break in the shrubs for access to a water spigot and an elec. outlet. This was my pit-area. My launching-stooge was less than 8 feet from the house. 26 feet straight-out from the stooge was center-circle which was marked using the lid from a 5 gal. plastic bucket, pinned into the sod with a single 7" aluminum gutter-nail. I could feel the lid underfoot.. and never needed to look at it for a point of reference.

How much distance (inches) between the prop-arcs and the ground? If less than one inch.. you might want to try increasing the wheel diameter to achieve at least that distance.. if there's a chance of taxiing over grass.

Let's consider that you decide to fly the circuit off your asphalt driveway. Ken Cook mentioned weighting the outboard wingtip with some clay for the initial "roll-out" to help with line tension. That sounds like good advice to me. Where the asphalt transitions to lawn.. you could try laying a piece of "tar-paper" (or similar thin but heavy sheet-material..) for the purpose of providing a smoother transition into the grass. Truthfully........... I wouldn't be surprised if this model was capable of ROG directly from the grass. If you're skeptical.. run both mounted-engines up to speed while holding the model in your hand(s).. You're gonna feel some pulling-power, believe me.

On another note.. Very Happy I was thinking about something that I wanted share with you regarding a static display for this model. Something to add some realism.. at the field.. or as a prop in a diorama while hangared.

New P-38 profile scratch build log - Page 5 Studeb11

or...

New P-38 profile scratch build log - Page 5 Tamiya10

Imagine... a 1:18 (?) scale tanker-truck that was actually "functional"...... with a 1/2 pint(?) glow-fuel tank retrofitted.. and an electric fuel-pump. Why not build a power-panel disguised as an AVGAS fuel-tanker? The possibilities are endless.

roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Nov 11, 2023 5:25 pm

Timely roddie, I took a few minutes this afternoon to re-rail my de-railed Cox Army trains.

New P-38 profile scratch build log - Page 5 P1016600

Love that 1/18th Studebaker truck, now you have me hunting for one.  My rusty but trusty 1951 $250.00 Studebaker Commander (powered by Studebakers first V-Cool bought on boot camp leave successfully transported me and my wife 1500 miles down to Pensacola from our home town in New Hampshire back in 1956.

But, thanks to you and Ken for reminding me.  I never added any tip weight to the P-38.  Forgot about it.  No washer/quarter glued to the wingtip.  A chunk of clay will work nicely.

I left that peg in the lawn, a good circle point base.  I just know that sometime I'm going to get the urge and spin those engines over and try it as is...............

Yes, I want to build another using your 5 point balsa wing inserts.

Edit add:

I found that truck roddie. China. It's 1/43 scale. Pricey @ $108.00 but shipping from China only $6.00

New P-38 profile scratch build log - Page 5 Stude_10
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

New P-38 profile scratch build log - Page 5 Empty Roddie's P-38 design drawing

Post  roddie Sat Nov 11, 2023 9:05 pm

Yes, I want to build another using your 5 point balsa wing inserts.

Here's my design/drawing.. a 26" span/slab-wing profile.. Pretty much the same size as the one that you just finished.

New P-38 profile scratch build log - Page 5 Plan-p14

The graph-paper shown is ruled in .25 inch squares.. so you could use this photo to scale to your liking. I'm slacking.. there's usually more construction notes on my drawings.

It's important to note that my slab-wing's main component is not balsawood.

The main/central component is a "slat" from a Venician window-blind. I'd found the wood in a garage that was being cleaned-out. Someone had stripped a blind down for its' slats at some point. I picked up one of the slats and thought; this is definitely wood.. but not as lightweight as balsa. I believe it's basswood.. but that's just a guess.

New P-38 profile scratch build log - Page 5 Dsc05121

New P-38 profile scratch build log - Page 5 Dsc05233

So... my wing-design has a hybrid bass/balsawood construction which lends strength to the overall design; especially at the intersections of the twin-booms.. and also providing rigid bracing for the gear-blocks. You shouldn't have issues sourcing basswood.. but I'd be glad to mail an original piece to you.. if you want to follow my wing-plan. There's X8 slats remaining....  Very Happy and they're all dead-straight.

New P-38 profile scratch build log - Page 5 Window10

You may remember my "Flying Blind" design.. that was built almost entirely from "one slat" of that wood.

New P-38 profile scratch build log - Page 5 Dsc05012

New P-38 profile scratch build log - Page 5 Dsc05122

The only balsa components in that airplane are in the elevator.. to facilitate hinging.

New P-38 profile scratch build log - Page 5 Dsc05013

New P-38 profile scratch build log - Page 5 Dsc05014

roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun Nov 12, 2023 8:14 am

Thanks roddie, I grabbed it. Will print it out in four sections and tape it together.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed Nov 15, 2023 7:46 am

I have been thinking about this:

New P-38 profile scratch build log - Page 5 Scan_304

A 10" X 8' board, a couple of carriage bolts, two rubber bands from a Gillows kit, track guide for the front wheel, and a release mechanism.  I have all that stuff.  Get's me out in the field where I have plenty of room.  Engines fully leaned out...........Might have a chance if the props don't pick up the rubber bands. The rubber bands should be placed inside the outer wheels.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Wed Nov 15, 2023 12:29 pm

rsv1cox wrote:I have been thinking about this:

New P-38 profile scratch build log - Page 5 Scan_304

A 10" X 8' board, a couple of carriage bolts, two rubber bands from a Gillows kit, track guide for the front wheel, and a release mechanism.  I have all that stuff.  Get's me out in the field where I have plenty of room.  Engines fully leaned out...........Might have a chance if the props don't pick up the rubber bands.  The rubber bands should be placed inside the outer wheels.  

A catapult-stooge!! Jaw Drop I like the incline. Do you have an alternate heavy nose-wheel that you can use for the maiden.. just to play it safe?
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed Nov 15, 2023 3:46 pm

I don't know roddie, I'm just thinking out loud hoping that some one will tell me "It ain't gonna work!"

New P-38 profile scratch build log - Page 5 Scan_305

The bands have to be kept down low.  I'll make a 3D model someday.  Seems I developed a new kit.  Competition for Guillows.  

I have been meaning to ask.  Why the two right angle I holes in your wing?
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  cstatman Tue Dec 05, 2023 1:13 pm

i wont do it, cause I am cheeep

but there is a sterling kit for sale now
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?4459711-Sterling-P-38-CL-Kit

way too rich for me, but still....
cstatman
cstatman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Tue Dec 05, 2023 2:57 pm

cstatman wrote:i wont do it,  cause I am cheeep

but there is a sterling kit for sale now
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?4459711-Sterling-P-38-CL-Kit

way too rich for me,   but still....

You reached back aways for this one Charles.  There are two, one at $75 the other at $80.  But I too will have to pass, sacrilege for me giving up on a P-38.  But I have been way too good to me lately in the hobby dept.  

My P-38 cost me nothing.  I had everything on hand. But, were I to add everything up - wheels from Bernie, airfoil wings from SIG, goo smacked engines from ebay, paint, epoxy and CA I might have $35/$40 in it.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Tue Dec 05, 2023 4:38 pm

Actually the cost of $75 US is not a bad cost for the larger 36-in. .09-.15 powered one, especially when one is pricing a new kit made by laser cutting, which may also lack some of the hardware like landing gears.

I already have that kit but not yet built. Outerzone has the Sterling half-A plan, so one can recreate it from scratch.

The twin tailed devil has always been a classic favorite. Another that would make a good one is the Focke-Wulfe TA-154 Moskito. Here is a control line plan for a 38 inch wingspan version for two .09's - .15's. One could easily make it a profile, downsize to half-A for something different.

https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=912 Plan #912 - Focke-Wulf Ta 154 Moskito by Peter Wheldon from Model Aircraft December 1959

New P-38 profile scratch build log - Page 5 91210
Outerzone photo.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Tue Dec 05, 2023 6:50 pm

rsv1cox wrote:I don't know roddie, I'm just thinking out loud hoping that some one will tell me "It ain't gonna work!"

New P-38 profile scratch build log - Page 5 Scan_305

The bands have to be kept down low.  I'll make a 3D model someday.  Seems I developed a new kit.  Competition for Guillows.  

I have been meaning to ask.  Why the two right angle I holes in your wing?

I honestly like the catapult concept Robert. I don't think that you'd need it for this model though. I mentioned maybe fitting a heavier nose-wheel for the maiden.. just in case you've got a tail-heavy airplane. If not; no harm.. no foul.

You could possibly maiden (R.O.G. launch) from a short-cropped grass field by using wider-tracking tires. Make them yourself, by cutting strips of thin plastic.. approx. 1/2" to 3/4" wide.. long enough to wrap-around the circumference of the wheels you're using.. and secure the strips with a piece of tape. They only have to stay-on until the model lifts-off. There's less chance of the struts "snagging" in the grass.. and a better chance of the wheels "rolling-over" the grass.. rather than having to plow through it. How short will your J-Deere zero-turn mower cut? Imagine how much fun it would be.. to cut a 100 foot diameter circle.. expressly for your model aerodrome!

Your inclined catapult stooge concept (ICS) seems like a real attractive option for anyone wishing to launch their small C/L airplane with small wheels... (most Cox RTF models) from a grass field; where most pilots would prefer to fly over.. rather than hard-pack/pavement. I'll think about the catapult mechanism.. and how it might be applied to most models via their gear-struts. I have a "take-off dolly" design that uses two strips that lay-over the stab. to prevent the tail from "popping-up".. until the model moves forward several inches. Some sm. size shock-cord might work.. and would not foul the propeller when recoiling.

oh.... yes.. regarding the two right-angle I holes in my P38's wing.. The main-central panel is actually a venetian-blind slat made of basswood.. I think.

New P-38 profile scratch build log - Page 5 Window11

The panels' .135" thickness.. 2.375" width and 24.0" length made a nice foundation for adding .125" (1/8") balsa-wood tapering leading and trailing edges.. of which I used 2" width strips that I had on-hand.. and also for the wing-tip stock.. which made-up the 26" span that I wanted.

New P-38 profile scratch build log - Page 5 Dsc05234

The "I-holes" are where the stringers (?) went through the slats for the venetian-blinds. I plugged them when adding the balsa contours to the wing.

New P-38 profile scratch build log - Page 5 Pluggi10

New P-38 profile scratch build log - Page 5 Pluggi11
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Tue Dec 05, 2023 7:22 pm

Thanks roddie for jogging my memory. Now I remember that you mentioned part of the wing was made up from a venetian blind. Pretty clever repurposing. Now I have to find an old wooden blind. Smile
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Tue Dec 05, 2023 8:35 pm

rsv1cox wrote:Thanks roddie for jogging my memory.  Now I remember that you mentioned part of the wing was made up from a venetian blind.  Pretty clever repurposing.  Now I have to find an old wooden blind.  Smile  

I'm putting together a muffler-kit for you to try... and I have eight of those basswood blind-slats. You'll save some of your 1/8" balsa reserves if I send you one. I'll send you one because that's what the plan I sent you calls for. It serves as a "wing-spar".. but also provides for a more rigid mounting for the booms. It's actually a very centralized high-strength component.. having a minimal weight penalty.

My designs' TE and LE stock was from 1/8" balsa.. 2" wide. Two 12" lengths cut diagonally makes them. You can also butt-joint 1" wide strips together lengthwise to make the 2" width panel-stock. I really love this part of it.. (as if you can't tell..) Smile

Tail-feathers are all from 1/8" balsa sheet. Booms are 1/4" balsa sheet. Minimal stock for a twin really.. but that's what we all love about Lockheed's designs.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5