Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Is this a cox engine? Cox_ba12

Is this a cox engine? Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Here we go again... another Lawn-Boy
by Admin Today at 3:25 pm

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by roddie Today at 2:48 pm

» Help Pee Wee tank cap .020
by rdw777 Today at 12:38 pm

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by Admin Today at 10:31 am

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by GTO455 Today at 8:11 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 7:29 am

» Post your Older books
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:51 pm

» EXTREMELY RARE COX THIMBLE DROME PROTOTYPE "BLACK WIDOW" GAS MODEL AIRPLANE
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 6:58 pm

» I brake for Turtles....
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 6:38 pm

» Ball - Socket Joints
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 3:06 pm

» A little nostalgia…
by MauricioB Yesterday at 2:32 pm

» A new useful transport vehicle
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 10:32 am

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Is this a cox engine? Empty
Live on Patrol

Is this a cox engine?

Go down

Is this a cox engine? Empty Is this a cox engine?

Post  Abraham996 Fri Oct 27, 2023 11:03 am

Found this engine in a parts bin I long forgot about. Is this a cox model? Can anyone identify this? I don't recognize it, but it still has compression Thanks![

url=https://servimg.com/view/20529508/3]Is this a cox engine? 20231011[/url]
Abraham996
Abraham996

Back to top Go down

Is this a cox engine? Empty Re: Is this a cox engine?

Post  pman1111 Fri Oct 27, 2023 11:23 am

Looks to me to be a Testors .049, no it's not a Cox.
pman1111
pman1111
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Oct 27, 2023 12:21 pm

That is a Testors (not Cox) .049 engine. Often referred to as a "Pipe Bomb". Interesting engine with a plastic crankcase.

Admin
Admin
Administrator

http://sites.google.com/site/coxenginecollection/

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Fri Oct 27, 2023 12:28 pm

Welcome to the forum, @Abraham996!

Yes, as Jacob mentioned, it is commonly referred to in the engine modelling community as the Testors "pipe bomb" engine (because of its simplistic unusual appearance). It came with their fleet of plasic ready-to-fly airplanes.

A few here have adapted their custom fuselages to be able to secure the engine properly in place on their balsa control line aircraft. (A few posted threads on their adventures here in CEF.) They are actually decent engines. Some had a poor needle valve mechanism, making adjustment difficult.

Testors used the engine as a basis for their 8000 series separately marketed engine, came with an integral plastic tank with mount holes to fit the Cox tank engines firewall bolt pattern. It could outperform the Cox .049 Black Widow engine (See Sceptre Flight Engine Test archives.)
Is this a cox engine? Goldbe18
My Goldberg Swordsman 18 with Testor's 8000 engine.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  944_Jim Fri Oct 27, 2023 4:45 pm

Abraham,
Welcome to the best little engine website on the internet!

George,
I love your Swordsman. The green you chose is enviable! I've seen your particular plane somewhere some time ago, but I can't remember where. Between the color, the canopy, and the pilot this is one unique take on this model.

I don't think I saw it here or on SH. I feel like my first sighting was several years ago. While where isn't important to this thread, it drives me crazy trying to remember. I suspect I saw it as part of chasing down the 1/2A plans for the flat plank model Testors designed to sell their Testors 8000 integrated tank engines. The name of that model escapes me. I think someone else blew up the plan for a .15 engine later (that piece I think I saw on SH).

Can anyone remember the model I'm thinking about? It had a long root chord, a large tail surface, block nose on either side of a wedge-shaped profile fuselage...no landing gear. The tapered wing was square across the LE with small wing tips and the TE was tapered to the back. The tail was a swept rearward LE stabilizer and straight edge TE elevator. That plan is the point of my post as it was designed for a tanked "Abe's engine."

Edit: Found it...the Ambush!
https://stunthanger.com/smf/12-a-building/testers-ambush/

Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Fri Oct 27, 2023 6:05 pm

Jim, thanks, the Swordsman is painted in Pactra Stinson Green dope, of the last 2 oz. bottle that I had. It is a very useful color, redid my brother's Li'l Devil hollow log back in 1971 with Stinson Green fuselage and rudder, SIG Orange wings and stabilizer. It also graced the tissue of a Comet 12 inch Spad XII.

It is a slightly deeper green than John Deere. I suppose one could get it in Randolph dope, but dope has become almost non-obtanium giving way to other finishes.

I think perhaps we are the last generation to be familiar with the wonders of butyrate and nitrate dope, cellulose glues such as Ambroid, Sig-ment, Testors, Comet, and lastly, Duco, which is no doubt on its way out.

Whilst packing, found a round plans carboard container that I squirrelled away rolls of Hobby King plastic covering, perhaps the last of decent heat shrink model airplane covering.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri Oct 27, 2023 6:38 pm

Nice George, I like that color too.  I had Stinson Green dope at one time many years ago.  I have forgotten what plane I used it on but I doubt that it was attractive as yours.  Maybe one of my Scientific hollow logs.  

I have a supply of Top Flight Lustre Kote spray similar to your (Edit - whoops - roddies Pacta spray) (another thread) that I have been guarding.  I haven't used it for years but I keep it anyway.

Is this a cox engine? P1016498

Amen, in a sad way:

"I think perhaps we are the last generation to be familiar with the wonders of butyrate and nitrate dope, cellulose glues such as Ambroid, Sig-ment, Testors, Comet, and lastly, Duco, which is no doubt on its way out."
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac Sat Oct 28, 2023 1:31 am

The pipe bomb engine is a horribly maligned and belittled little engine. Carl Goldbderg should have made an engine mount for it like he did for the Cox postage stamp engines. They make power like a good Bee engine, and I've made three or four planes specifically for this engine.

Now, if I ever ended up buying a 3D printer, one of the first projects I would do is draw up and print out mounts for the Testors engines. *Hint* *Hint*

The Explosives Expert Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Sat Oct 28, 2023 6:19 am

batjac wrote:

Now, if I ever ended up buying a 3D printer, one of the first projects I would do is draw up and print out mounts for the Testors engines.  *Hint*   *Hint*
The Explosives Expert Mark

It shouldn't be hard to do if you had access to the mount from a Testors Galax hovercraft.  Copy and print that and your Pipe Bomb could swap straight onto a Bee powered model as it has the same mount pattern.  Just add an external tank.

Rod.

Is this a cox engine? Galax_10

Last edited by Oldenginerod on Sat Oct 28, 2023 6:21 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added image)
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Sat Oct 28, 2023 11:25 am

batjac wrote:The pipe bomb engine is a horribly maligned and belittled little engine.  Carl Goldbderg should have made an engine mount for it like he did for the Cox postage stamp engines.  They make power like a good Bee engine, and I've made three or four planes specifically for this engine.
The GB EB-1 Engine Mount (cost $0.69 back in the late 1960's) came out in the early 1960's. Then, Cox came up with the postage stamp engine back for their RTF planes, and he saw a golden opportunity to make these donor engines from crashed (many had a 1 time flight) reusable in his kit planes.

The pipe bomb engines didn't come out until later. By then, C/L was in its decline, why there wasn't the market advantage to make such.

I suppose one who had a CNC printing machine could make an adapter or special back for these engines, but it may not garner the sales, since the Coxes abound in comparison.

But, I enjoy reading the threads here about how the mounting obstacles have been overcome for aircraft use.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rdw777 Sat Oct 28, 2023 12:26 pm

Nice Swordsman George, The color, decorations, and engine just work!!… I’ve got his cousin, Stuntman 23….. I really need to find a place to try it out….
rdw777
rdw777
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Is this a cox engine? Empty RSV1COX

Post  dondaniels59 Wed Nov 22, 2023 8:21 pm

I sent you a PM.
Don
dondaniels59
dondaniels59
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Nov 23, 2023 7:28 am

dondaniels59 wrote:I sent you a PM.
Don

Thanks Don, Got it and answered.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down