Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Another of C.T. engines cleaned  ---- Cox Tee Dee .09  --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts Cox_ba12

Another of C.T. engines cleaned  ---- Cox Tee Dee .09  --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by Boats13 Today at 12:43 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Onelife Today at 12:22 am

» Three -- sold out (making two more) Cox .010 Carburetors with wrench
by 1/2A Nut Today at 12:08 am

» Happy Anzac Day!
by Boats13 Yesterday at 11:03 pm

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by MauricioB Yesterday at 4:08 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:17 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Yesterday at 6:20 am

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by Levent Suberk Yesterday at 12:23 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:25 pm

» Micro Draco Gets to Fly on a Beautiful Morning.
by rdw777 Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:15 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:06 pm

» Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs
by GallopingGhostler Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:12 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Another of C.T. engines cleaned  ---- Cox Tee Dee .09  --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts Empty
Live on Patrol

Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts

Go down

Another of C.T. engines cleaned  ---- Cox Tee Dee .09  --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts Empty Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts

Post  sosam117 Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:14 pm

Finished up another of C.T. engines for a cleaning and rebuild.

The Cox Tee Dee .09 as received (with missing needle valve assist.)
Another of C.T. engines cleaned  ---- Cox Tee Dee .09  --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts Cox_te12

I cleaned up the needle valve and "silver soldered" a replacement.
Of course, I remove all traces of the "lead solder" that was there as you can see, the lead solder did not hold up.
Silver solder is the best use for this application.
Another of C.T. engines cleaned  ---- Cox Tee Dee .09  --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts Img_0291

On to the engine.
It was not in that bad of condition. The piston was stuck, throttle ring rusted in place, venturi was pitted from the Florida air,
and the cylinder did not have the flat spot on the top to use a Cox wrench, so I had to use my strap wrench to remove the cylinder.
That is because the throttle sleeve made it impossible to use any wrench in the exhaust ports.
The glow head came off easy enough with no problems.

I placed all of the parts into my sonic tank to be cleaned and they came out not bad.
Got the piston unstuck after the cleaning ---- luckily no rust on the piston or cylinder bore.
Buffed up the aluminum parts, wire brushed (fine stainless steel) the steel parts (crankshaft, cylinder, throttle sleeve),
then used my Dremel with a cone shaped buffing wheel to remove the pitting in the venturi.
Sent all the parts again through the sonic tank.

Cleaned all of the steel parts with Acetone (brushed them with an "acid" brush) then blued the parts three different times.
Acetone brush -- bluing -- lightly rubbed with scotch-brite pad --- then repeat with acetone/bluing/scotch-brite pad. (twice more)
Until I got the deep enough bluing needed?

Below are the finished photos:
Another of C.T. engines cleaned  ---- Cox Tee Dee .09  --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts Cox_te13
Another of C.T. engines cleaned  ---- Cox Tee Dee .09  --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts Img_0292
Another of C.T. engines cleaned  ---- Cox Tee Dee .09  --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts Img_0293
Another of C.T. engines cleaned  ---- Cox Tee Dee .09  --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts Img_0294
Another of C.T. engines cleaned  ---- Cox Tee Dee .09  --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts Img_0295

I did check the Timing/SPI of the top of the piston to the top of the cylinder id shoulder, and it was close to being spot on, so no cylinder shimming was necessary.

Last edited by sosam117 on Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
sosam117
sosam117
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Another of C.T. engines cleaned  ---- Cox Tee Dee .09  --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts Empty Re: Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts

Post  rdw777 Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:56 pm

Looks like throttled Tee Dee .09’s are getting a lot of attention lately!…. Beautiful job on the restoration Mike Very Happy …. With the cleaning/servicing/repairs and checking spec timing it will be a fine runner!! Small Cox Logo Small Cox Logo
rdw777
rdw777
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Another of C.T. engines cleaned  ---- Cox Tee Dee .09  --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts Empty Re: Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts

Post  sosam117 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:22 pm

rdw777 wrote:Looks like throttled Tee Dee .09’s are getting a lot of attention lately!…. Beautiful job on the restoration Mike Very Happy …. With the cleaning/servicing/repairs and checking spec timing it will be a fine runner!! Small Cox Logo Small Cox Logo

I forgot to add that I also reset the socket joint on the connecting rod as it was really loose.
sosam117
sosam117
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rdw777 Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:02 pm

sosam117 wrote:I forgot to add that I also reset the socket joint on the connecting rod as it was really loose.

With your attention to detail that is a given Very Happy

Speaking of timing, A few months ago I made up the brass disc with a hole in it and an old glow head drilled out as described in one of Kirn’s letters to check deck height on my .020’s …. Some spot on,…. Others never touch… And one would not pass the disc…. I think it may explain why some run better with two head gaskets and others with one using the same 24% fuel…
rdw777
rdw777
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  sosam117 Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:56 pm

rdw777 wrote:Looks like throttled Tee Dee .09’s are getting a lot of attention lately!…. Beautiful job on the restoration Mike Very Happy …. With the cleaning/servicing/repairs and checking spec timing it will be a fine runner!! Small Cox Logo Small Cox Logo

I forgot to add that I also reset the socket joint on the connecting rod as it was really loose.
sosam117
sosam117
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  sosam117 Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:00 pm

rdw777 wrote:
sosam117 wrote:I forgot to add that I also reset the socket joint on the connecting rod as it was really loose.

With your attention to detail that is a given Very Happy

Speaking of timing, A few months ago I made up the brass disc with a hole in it and an old glow head drilled out as described in one of Kirn’s letters to check deck height on my .020’s …. Some spot on,…. Others never touch… And one would not pass the disc…. I think it may explain why some run better with two head gaskets and others with one using the same 24% fuel…

I always like to check the deck height to make sure that it is even, that way each engine will run about the same.
It will have about the same compression ratio and if I add more head shims, that will decrease the compression ratio (if I need to).
sosam117
sosam117
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Another of C.T. engines cleaned  ---- Cox Tee Dee .09  --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts Empty Cox Parts from Burnie to fix pthe other of C.T. engines

Post  sosam117 Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:14 pm

Received in the mail today (03/26/2024) the Cox parts (ordered from Burnie - Cox International) to fix up the other three Tee Dee engines of C.T.'s

The Tee Dee .051 R/C
Another of C.T. engines cleaned  ---- Cox Tee Dee .09  --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts Img_0296

The Kustom Kraftsmanship .051 ( with a really stuck piston/cylinder assembly)
Another of C.T. engines cleaned  ---- Cox Tee Dee .09  --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts Img_0298
Another of C.T. engines cleaned  ---- Cox Tee Dee .09  --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts Img_0297

And the Tee Dee .049 with a cracked venturi body -- black

Another of C.T. engines cleaned  ---- Cox Tee Dee .09  --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts Img_0299
sosam117
sosam117
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Another of C.T. engines cleaned  ---- Cox Tee Dee .09  --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts Empty EMBARRASSED!!

Post  Boats13 Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:43 pm

Shocked I had thought, when I found my engines out in the weather out on the edge of our carport, that they were not salvageable. I am amazed they are looking this great! THANK YOU, MIKE! I have plans for the the TD r/c .05. Comet P-40. The TD .09 has been a mainstay for me for far too many aircraft. An obscure rubber model blown up to 150% will be its next aerial home.The TeeDee .049 was in a Bebe Jodel rubber conversion. Don't have a home for it, yet.

Thanks, again, Mike,

Thanks to all that have made me feel so welcome, here,

CT
Boats13
Boats13
Silver Member
Silver Member

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:46 am

Beautiful restoration, Mike. Your post made me want to check deck height in some of my red postage stamp reedies that work different than others..one would think that with the heyday precision of COX setting the deck height fixed to design should have been simple by keeping the linear dimensions of cylinder bottom (where it sits on the crankcase) to top and crankcase centerline to crankcase top constant.....
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Yabby Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:00 am

Hi Mike and Andras Thumbs Up
Mike, your cleanup and recon of the engines is excellent cheers I noted your comments on checking the top of the piston to the top landing of the cylynder where the gasket sits. I was wondering how best to check this? I have always done it by eye when turning the engine over without a glowplug. doesnt seem to be a very accurate method I use and wondered how you go about it? I do have some sets of timing shims if needed. any help or thoughts greaty appreciated.
Yabby
Yabby
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  sosam117 Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:45 am

Yabby.
I posted a couple of years ago a posting on how to do the timing on the Cox engines.

Below is where it is at:
Timing and SPI shimming of the Cylinder

I have instructions that I also gave to Jacob to post in the "INFO" section under the Documents and Manuals.
The instructions originally came from Kustom Kraftsmanship.

I have "FIVE" Kustom Kraftsmanship shimming kits for timing still new in their packages along with thousands of KK parts that I have purchased over the years when they were in business along with many Kk engines.

Another of C.T. engines cleaned  ---- Cox Tee Dee .09  --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts Img_0300
sosam117
sosam117
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rdw777 Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:13 pm

That is a very nice “how to” write up Mike, I saved it for reference Thumbs Up….. I Made up the test rig but haven’t tried to make shims yet… Interesting just see where they are at….Another visual….

Another of C.T. engines cleaned  ---- Cox Tee Dee .09  --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts 49f46c10
rdw777
rdw777
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  sosam117 Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:58 pm

Being a Quality Engineer, as a percentage of the assembled parts to be spot on will be at best 1%.

If you look at the prints of the cylinder sleeve, it will have machining tolerances of plus and minus.
The glow head shoulder inside the bore has a +/-, then the bottom of the cylinder that threads into the crankcase has a +/- tolerance.

Next is the tolerance of the connecting rod which has its own +/- tolerances.
And the crankcase, centerline to the top of the crankcase that the cylinder sleeve threads into has its own +/- tolerances.

So, what do you get?
Crankcase at a minus / con rod a plus / and a cylinder at a minus equals a piston that will be pass the glow plug shoulder height.
Now "if" the crankcase was -0- /con rod a minus / and the cylinder a plus equals a piston that will be below the glow plug shoulder.

As a simple of an explanation as above, engineers call these +/- tolerances on each part when assembled as "Bonus Tolerances".
The bonus tolerances are tolerated as the product will work (but not at the best performance) and "if" the bonus tolerances are too much (another 1% or so) the product will not work altogether.

So, you have at either end of the scale of a product that is designed as it was supposed to and another at the other end of the scale that will not work.

That is why, some model engine mfg. tested their engines before leaving the factory.
At Cat (where I worked in the Fuel Systems Division), when the injectors were assembled on the assembly line, at the end of the assembly line there were test stands to run the injectors through its paces (High RPM/Low RPM/Mid range and idle as well as fuel rate at the different speeds)

If/when it failed the test stand, there was a printout for the failure, and went to rework to change the part that gave the injector too high discharge or too low discharge fuel rate.(changing out the shim spacer for the check lift height --- just like a Cox engine!)

My job for a couple of years was to check and verify the calibrations of the test stands with "working" injector masters at the start of the shift.
Then, once a week use the "silver" masters in the test stands to verify the "working masters" (plus/minus tolerances here too)
Then go to the "Gage Lab" and with the "silver masters" and verify them against the "Gold Master" (which never leave the lab)
every 3 months.
By the way --- The Gage Lab is a temperature controlled/positive air flow room. ( temperature at 68°+/- 2° and humidity at 47%+/- 3°)
sosam117
sosam117
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Yabby Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:19 am

Thank you very much for the link, and the "how to" along with the explanation of the tolerances. I will make up a test jig as described and test and adjust my TD 049 engines as described. I have a suspicion that the piston going just past the correct height may be why I am having trouble with glowheads always coming loose on some engines but not others. It will take me some time to setup a jig and sort out, but, I am keen to try and set the deck height on my engines correctly. My engines are all home assembled from crankcase assemblies I bought from Matt and cylinders from Bernie. So the tolerances could be anywhere dependant on which parts I choose to combine. could be great, could be bad. Now with the "How to" and the jig I can measure, swap parts, use shims to get it as right as I can.

I have had some 049 TDs I built that were just absolutely great, high revving, easy start, just a joy to use and fly. And then others I assembled that just were problems. note. the cause of this is my assembly method NOT the engines.

Im glad I asked. Very Happy I think this will definately help with my Engines I build.

This is a great forum I Love This Forum! I learn so much from it which helps make my flying time more enjoyable cheers Thumbs Up
Yabby
Yabby
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  sosam117 Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:59 am

Yabby wrote:Thank you very much for the link, and the "how to" along with the explanation of the tolerances. I will make up a test jig as described and test and adjust my TD 049 engines as described. I have a suspicion that the piston going just past the correct height may be why I am having trouble with glowheads always coming loose on some engines but not others. It will take me some time to setup a jig and sort out, but, I am keen to try and set the deck height on my engines correctly. My engines are all home assembled from crankcase assemblies I bought from Matt and cylinders from Bernie. So the tolerances could be anywhere dependant on which parts I choose to combine. could be great, could be bad. Now with the "How to" and the jig I can measure, swap parts, use shims to get it as right as I can.

I have had some 049 TDs I built that were just absolutely great, high revving, easy start, just a joy to use and fly. And then others I assembled that just were problems. note. the cause of this is my assembly method NOT the engines.

Im glad I asked. Very Happy I think this will definately help with my Engines I build.

This is a great forum I Love This Forum! I learn so much from it which helps make my flying time more enjoyable cheers Thumbs Up

Yabby,
The engines that don't go past the shoulder (lower) where the glow head stops will have a lower compression and less of a gap for SPI (sub-port induction) which gives the Cox engines that extra power.
Now with the ones that go past the shoulder, those have then two problems.
1st is the piston hammering into the bottom of the glow head (like you have noticed the glow head loosening).
2nd is the SPI is larger than it should be and with that larger "air" gap, you are losing a little of your fuel/air mixture.
Now with that 2nd problem.
You could just add 3 of more shims under the glow head but that really is the right way to fix the problem because the SPI is still more than it should be -- though the engine will run without the glow head backing out.

Kustom Kraftsmanship knew of the problem and how to resolve it by them selling a timing shim kit for the Cox engines.
It would be nice to have them available these days?
sosam117
sosam117
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Yabby Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:47 am

Thanks for the additional information. It matches what I have experienced with the odd engine I have built. the ones with the glow plug coming loose all the time also tend to blow fuel back out the venturi as ive added glow gaskets increased the spi window and spi air is going in when a fuel charge is still coming in through the crank.

Bernie sells timing shims and I think Matt does also.

I am definately going to put some effort into this to tryand get my engines right. Glow plugs not coming loose and the correct fuel charge entering the crankcase without spi blowback. definatey worth the effort.

thanks for explaining so cleary. Im in with half a chaceow. cheers Thumbs Up
Yabby
Yabby
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  sosam117 Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:55 pm

Yabby wrote:Thanks for the additional information. It matches what I have experienced with the odd engine I have built. the ones with the glow plug coming loose all the time also tend to blow fuel back out the venturi as ive added glow gaskets increased the spi window and spi air is going in when a fuel charge is still coming in through the crank.

Bernie sells timing shims and I think Matt does also.

I am definately going to put some effort into this to tryand get my engines right. Glow plugs not coming loose and the correct fuel charge entering the crankcase without spi blowback. definatey worth the effort.

thanks for explaining so cleary. Im in with half a chaceow. cheers Thumbs Up

The shims Burnie/Matt sells is to eliminate the SPI so that you can use a sleeve throttle on the outside of the cylinder.
It is not really for timing.
But it will shim up your cylinder (maybe more than you would like)

This is straight from Cox International about the "Cox .049 / .051 Timing Shims"

Set of four (4)

Features:
Raises exhaust port to delete SPI (Sub Port Induction)
Counteracts RPM loss when using a muffler or throttle ring on engines with SPI
Installs between crankcase and base of cylinder
Two (2) Shims .27mm (.010")
Two (2) Shims .39mm (.015")
Brand new Current Production items
sosam117
sosam117
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Yabby Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:34 am

Hi, yes, that was the purpose I bought the shims for and is a story of its own. Anyway these are the only shims i have, and one 10though shim doesnt remove the SPI, although it reduces it. As i dont have access to any other shims, my thought is to see if one of these shims will correct the deck height on one of my TDs which for now prior to measuring, I believe may be wrong. I can always use extra glow gaskets but its possible this may work better. It will be easy enough to Tach the two approaches using the shim and head gaskets available to me.

Using the jig, I can also try mixing and matching different engine components, but, a shim would probaby be easier. Huh... Laughing cheers At least the jig will confirm if the height is wrong or not. Then it enters the solution space and the pros and cons of the solutions If any, I can apply. Thumbs Up cheers
Yabby
Yabby
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Yabby Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:00 am

Thanks for all the info. I am going to buy the tools and shimstock to make the shims from
. I think this is extremely worthwhile. bad luck cant get the shim holder anymore. but once the tools and shim stock are purchased can make more shims.

thank you greatly. awesome info. Very Happy Thumbs Up Clapping
Yabby
Yabby
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  sosam117 Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:32 pm

Yabby wrote:Thanks for all the info. I am going to buy the tools and shimstock to make the shims from
. I think this is extremely worthwhile. bad luck cant get the shim holder anymore. but once the tools and shim stock are purchased can make more shims.

thank you greatly. awesome info. Very Happy Thumbs Up Clapping

Another thing you can do (and I do it) have 400grit sandpaper on a flat surface (I have "T" bar sanders) and using your "fattest finger, (the thumb?) place the shim between the thumb and the sandpaper and sand the shim down (if it is too thick?)
sosam117
sosam117
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Yabby Sat Mar 30, 2024 5:13 am

yes, very good idea. cheers This will all take me a while but thanks to your info and explanations I have a way ahead to try and resolve what may be problems caused by mismatch of tolerances. I will go at it slowly, I understand the technical side of it, my problem is Im not particularly good with my hands, which isnt great in the hobby of aircraft modelling lol! but, im going to give it a good go as it makes sense, and if i sort out an engine this way I will be especially pleased. Very Happy Thumbs Up
Yabby
Yabby
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down