Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Baby Ringmaster build (Maiden flight report!) - Page 3 Cox_ba12

Baby Ringmaster build (Maiden flight report!) - Page 3 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by GTO455 Today at 8:11 am

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by rsv1cox Today at 7:41 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 7:29 am

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by akjgardner Today at 6:10 am

» Help Pee Wee tank cap .020
by MauricioB Yesterday at 10:11 pm

» Post your Older books
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:51 pm

» EXTREMELY RARE COX THIMBLE DROME PROTOTYPE "BLACK WIDOW" GAS MODEL AIRPLANE
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 6:58 pm

» I brake for Turtles....
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 6:38 pm

» Ball - Socket Joints
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 3:06 pm

» A little nostalgia…
by MauricioB Yesterday at 2:32 pm

» A new useful transport vehicle
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 10:32 am

» TAPLIN TWIN 7ccm
by grant.symes Yesterday at 3:29 am

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Baby Ringmaster build (Maiden flight report!) - Page 3 Empty
Live on Patrol

Baby Ringmaster build (Maiden flight report!)

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Baby Ringmaster build (Maiden flight report!) - Page 3 Empty Re: Baby Ringmaster build (Maiden flight report!)

Post  Cribbs74 Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:19 pm

No. I have no idea how to pick a pixel size. I guess I should play around with the settings some. Looks like you fixed it in your reply though.

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Baby Ringmaster build (Maiden flight report!) - Page 3 Empty Re: Baby Ringmaster build (Maiden flight report!)

Post  Cribbs74 Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:39 am

Before I fly this thing again, I was wondering if someone could enlighten me as to a prop choice? In reading through old discussions I find that the 5x3 is the choice for stunting and the 5x4 for speed. Speed is good, but I want pulling power too so I can climb without loading down the engine.

Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:54 am

Ron, it looks good. I have a Jr Lightning Streak from Brodak I'm flying currently that I just really enjoy. If your ever interested in trying this it's worth the try. I went to dinner with Larry Renger a few years ago and we had this discussion. The Hyper Viper came with this setup as well. Turn your cylinder inboard to the center of the circle. The norm for years was outboard due to it being out of harms way on a inverted landing for instance and it also aids in tip weight. When stunting especially on outsides, the fuel gets thrown into the bypass and the engine burps for a second. This is very typical on a Fox .35 and it almost shuts the engine off at times. The Cox engine just putters through it but it's definitely audible. Centrifugal force now prevents the fuel from being thrown into the bypass and therefore you get a clean run through the maneuvers. Just something to think about and a neat experiment. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  PV Pilot Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:55 am

Nice work Ron, Congrats.

Photobucket picture hosting here. Easy pic edits to fit the screen and forum margins.
PV Pilot
PV Pilot
High Tech Balsa Basher
High Tech Balsa Basher

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:59 am

Ken Cook wrote: Ron, it looks good. I have a Jr Lightning Streak from Brodak I'm flying currently that I just really enjoy. If your ever interested in trying this it's worth the try. I went to dinner with Larry Renger a few years ago and we had this discussion. The Hyper Viper came with this setup as well. Turn your cylinder inboard to the center of the circle. The norm for years was outboard due to it being out of harms way on a inverted landing for instance and it also aids in tip weight. When stunting especially on outsides, the fuel gets thrown into the bypass and the engine burps for a second. This is very typical on a Fox .35 and it almost shuts the engine off at times. The Cox engine just putters through it but it's definitely audible. Centrifugal force now prevents the fuel from being thrown into the bypass and therefore you get a clean run through the maneuvers. Just something to think about and a neat experiment. Ken

Makes sense! It's an easy switcharoo so I'll give it a go.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:03 am

PV Pilot wrote:Nice work Ron, Congrats.

Photobucket picture hosting here. Easy pic edits to fit the screen and forum margins.

Thanks PV! I cannot relay in words how much fun I am
having with this CL stuff. Cox engines work well for RC, but really come into their own on the front of a CL plane.

My only regret is not doing this sooner as the learning curve is steep!

I'll check out photobucket.

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:54 am

cribbs74 wrote:Before I fly this thing again, I was wondering if someone could enlighten me as to a prop choice? In reading through old discussions I find that the 5x3 is the choice for stunting and the 5x4 for speed. Speed is good, but I want pulling power too so I can climb without loading down the engine.

Ron, I keep changing my mind about props. I think it's because I have such different airframes/engine types on my equipment. On my Li'l Jumpin' Bean/Black Widow, closest to your Ringmaster I tried lots of props. They were all black Cox props(which I have since quit for GF series MA props). I was a super novice beginner at stunts at that time. This was May and June 2011.

I started with a 6x3 and it flew slow and steady, possibly keeping the BW's RPM under the effective SPI threshold. It would do easy loops and stunts and I had to back-step considerably. You could hear it slowing during the climbs into a loop and it was restricted to single loops. Figure 8s worked but back-stepping limited me to a few at a time. Next I tried a 5" prop and the engine was much more effective, the plane was very fast but the stunts took more air, larger loop diameters and the ground was too close for my comfort. I tried a 5x4(clueless at the time about props and pitches) and it turned the plane into a rocket and loops grew in width even more. Finally I settled on a 5.5x3 and hit the sweet spot. I've flown the Bean since then, until the bellcrank broke, on a 5.5x3. I bet your Baby Ringmaster would like this. I prefer the MA props because they are so easy to balance now, and balance makes a huge RPM difference for high speed reedies(only my opinion. I've heard contrary opinions).

Here's the Bean on a BW and a 5.5x3. This is in October, 2011. I did the first loop in my life in June, 2011.(Everyone is probably rolling their eyes; Rusty's posting showoff videos again. Sorry.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMecNoI_fMA&list=PL58DCCAB2975C01F8&index=2&feature=plpp_video

Just kill it after the first video ends. I can't seem to stop it from continuing my playlist.

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  PV Pilot Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:18 am

RknRusty wrote:
Here's the Bean on a BW and a 5.5x3. This is in October, 2011. I did the first loop in my life in June, 2011.(Everyone is probably rolling their eyes; Rusty's posting showoff videos again. Sorry.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMecNoI_fMA&list=PL58DCCAB2975C01F8&index=2&feature=plpp_video

Just kill it after the first video ends. I can't seem to stop it from continuing my playlist.

YAH!,,ya big self promoting showoff,,all fulla himself,,Sheesh! Very Happy Very Happy

Your vids keep me coming back Rusty, I think quite a few people on here can agree to that.
PV Pilot
PV Pilot
High Tech Balsa Basher
High Tech Balsa Basher

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:18 am

Ok,

I have a few Cox 5.5 x3's so I will give it a whirl. If it's been just over a year since you started stunting then there is hope for me yet!

Thanks Rusty.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3