Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

killer bee piston - Lightening a piston using common tools - Page 2 Cox_ba12

killer bee piston - Lightening a piston using common tools - Page 2 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rsv1cox Today at 7:45 pm

» Norvel Needle Needed
by Greenman38633 Today at 6:36 pm

» World's largest weathervane
by Cox International Today at 4:38 pm

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by 1/2A Nut Today at 3:42 pm

» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by F4D Phantom II Today at 3:22 pm

» Help Pee Wee tank cap .020
by rdw777 Today at 2:30 pm

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by GallopingGhostler Today at 12:34 pm

» Here we go again... another Lawn-Boy
by rdw777 Today at 10:17 am

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Today at 9:21 am

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by getback Today at 7:31 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 8:29 am

» Post your Older books
by rsv1cox Mon May 06, 2024 8:51 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

killer bee piston - Lightening a piston using common tools - Page 2 Empty
Live on Patrol

Lightening a piston using common tools

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

killer bee piston - Lightening a piston using common tools - Page 2 Empty Re: Lightening a piston using common tools

Post  Cribbs74 Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:21 pm

It's still available $12.95
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

killer bee piston - Lightening a piston using common tools - Page 2 Empty Re: Lightening a piston using common tools

Post  John Goddard Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:44 pm

I don't think any cox piston will stand 28k.
When I mistakenly ran mine on 60% with the standard prop bolt Embarassed 
it was spinning at 22+ on the ground..... When the inevitable happened,
ie the front of the crank/prop bolt sheared and the prop left the plane
behind in the air the engine briefly (a second perhaps) went into hyper
speed, there wasn't much left of that piston once the con rod went
through the crown. If memory serves it was an unlightened TD piston.

lol!
John Goddard
John Goddard
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:58 pm

getback wrote:killer bee piston - Lightening a piston using common tools - Page 2 Ci_tif10
  WOW I am sure that cant be gotten anymore, never seed that before.  Very Happy 
He has 297 of them according to the quantity dropdown list. If that's his SKU49cyspi product.

I'd like to compare the performance of one of those on a Tee Dee against his Old style SPI Tee Dee P/C with the full size piston. I wonder if the heavier piston achieves more torque due to inertia, meaning less slowing in high gee maneuvers.
Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  davidll1984 Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:07 pm

I have a crankchaft that broke while  fling because of a bolt too short to fix the propeller With an rc plane I landed but the engine is running full blast I remember the amazing crazy sound Me the internal components of my engine survived except the crank We can see the mark left by the rotation of the conecting rod on the tank valve Area no valve damage I use this part even if it is damaged on out side  its a black widow fuel tank one wit circlip Surprised Small Cox Logo
davidll1984
davidll1984
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:22 am

davidll1984 wrote:I have a crankchaft that broke while  fling because of a bolt too short to fix the propeller With an rc plane I landed but the engine is running full blast I remember the amazing crazy sound Me the internal components of my engine survived except the crank We can see the mark left by the rotation of the conecting rod on the tank valve Area no valve damage I use this part even if it is damaged on out side  its a black widow fuel tank one wit circlip Surprised Small Cox Logo

Yeah, that's what we call a "shaft run". Hearing the little things run at their extreme limit with no load is a scary thing. I had a Gilbert do it. Never heard one of those go anywhere near that fast before, and it survived. Affraid or WOW!
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:18 am

Had the same  experience with a TeeDee020 that threw off a 3 bladed drone prop that had its hub split..obviously IC engines generate repetitive dynamic load peaks that props designed for smoothly running electric motors will not endure for long.

The poor thing whined at a very high pitch before I reached to the forced landing site of the RC plane with no prop, but it survived the unloaded- and uncooled- run without any notable damage and continues its service in the nose of my Roaring 20 balsa RC plane..

killer bee piston - Lightening a piston using common tools - Page 2 16240210
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  davidll1984 Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:03 am

most of the time when this happens the crankshaft goes back into the crankcase But a perfectly tuned engine can survive By survive I mean piston cylinder crankcase.The outer part of the valve should retain the motor connecting rod on the crankshaft pin Results the connecting rod can continue to rotate freely in the path inside the crankcase I used to do this modification with several of my bee engines Often I find the spec too much space between the outside of the valve and the crank pin To check remove the cylinder press the connecting rod check that the connecting rod fits well on the perimeter of the valve and can turn freely without catching Outside the path inside the crankcase The seat of the path retaining clip valve will eventually be too worn out will interfere with the connecting rod The plastic model wears out quickly but remains a good option can be changed more often to prevent a sudden damage Small Cox Logo Babe Bee .049 RC Plane
davidll1984
davidll1984
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2