Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Another E-Bay Misrepresentation - Page 2 Cox_ba12

Another E-Bay Misrepresentation - Page 2 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Cox Ryan ST 2.0
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 11:40 pm

» Blue backplate postage stamp engine
by duaneh Yesterday at 10:52 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 3:45 pm

» Hawk had breakfast and then took a bath
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 2:34 pm

» Prop Rod - resto to a runner
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 12:41 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 12:24 pm

» Internet buy
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 9:15 am

» Artwork for Otto Kuhni
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 8:26 am

» Sherline lathe wont run
by getback Yesterday at 7:15 am

» Roddie's water-cooling bottle for bench-running
by roddie Tue May 14, 2024 7:38 pm

» Feed Station Zebra.. Spring 2022
by roddie Tue May 14, 2024 5:59 pm

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by GallopingGhostler Tue May 14, 2024 11:12 am

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Another E-Bay Misrepresentation - Page 2 Empty
Live on Patrol

Another E-Bay Misrepresentation

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Another E-Bay Misrepresentation - Page 2 Empty Re: Another E-Bay Misrepresentation

Post  WingingIt74 Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:40 pm

cribbs74 wrote:Yep, near the end they used whatever. I'll take a pic of the .051 tonight.

Ron

I think through out being in business, they used whatever was at hand. Going back to my PT-19 I had when I was a kid, that engine had a no-drag brass drive plate. I posted it on here and everyone thought that it couldn't be that way from Cox. I have since seen two other PT-19s that have a no-drag brass drive plate. One I own now which was identical to one I had when I was a kid. The other Jeremy's Uncle Randy has in his basement, which is the Blue and Yellow version, unlike my racing PT-19 from the 80s.

This being said, it's hard to say for certain that an engine is not original... in some cases.
WingingIt74
WingingIt74
Top Poster
Top Poster

https://www.facebook.com/wingingit74/

Back to top Go down

Another E-Bay Misrepresentation - Page 2 Empty Re: Another E-Bay Misrepresentation

Post  ZACATTACK Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:50 pm

The TD RC .05 was apparently only produced for a run of 2000. If this is a TD RC .05 with a gold anodized drive plate, like I think you guys are hinting at, it's the first one I have seen. I think that is a .051 with a TD RC .05 carb on it missing the "needle valve" like discussed ealier. The piston on my TD RC .05 has a groove near the bottom around the entire circumference of the piston. Does the TD.051 have this same feature on it's piston? Maybe that might distinguish between the two engines being discussed...Just a thought!!
ZACATTACK
ZACATTACK
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  WingingIt74 Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:05 pm

• Well looking at the twisty tie, it has been out of the box. Once out of the box, or sometimes in the box, things can be swapped out and changed.
• Who's to say this guy liked the look of a brass driveplate over a silver one?
• Can someone home-build a RC05, yes, is this one... who knows.
• Is a home-built one worth less if it's built with the correct parts?

To make a point:
There are more 1957 Chevys with 283 V-8s with mechanical fuel injections out there now, then actually left the assembly line. So if it is home-built with correct parts, is it worth less? From what I have seen on the hot rod side, no it's not, as items could be put on by the dealer. The Chevy 283 came out in 1957, but in very few rare cases, there are a few 1956 Chevys with factory 283s.

Did I mention my screen name use to be CLSSY56 Smile
WingingIt74
WingingIt74
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  WingingIt74 Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:28 pm

Is this RC05 correct per the books, no.
Could some grandkid have lost the needle somewhere down the road while playing with it and it was never found?

I could go on and on with the "what ifs".

As for my Dragonfly, it looks correct except for the missing starter spring. Could the owner not like starter springs? Could the owner swap out the case for a black case?
WingingIt74
WingingIt74
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  ZACATTACK Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:15 pm

Does the Tee Dee .051 have a groove around the lower circumference of the piston?
ZACATTACK
ZACATTACK
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ian1954 Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:19 pm

This is without doubt a geniune RC05.
Another E-Bay Misrepresentation - Page 2 Cox_rc10
Another E-Bay Misrepresentation - Page 2 Cox_rc11
Another E-Bay Misrepresentation - Page 2 Cox_rc12
Another E-Bay Misrepresentation - Page 2 Cox_rc13

It has the "tab/rib" and the correct driveplate. The driveplate is unique to the RC05 - it is a different size to the standard TD driveplate - the RC05 also came fitted with a thrust washer.

However, although this may not be completely original /- missing needle, easily replaced - head, easily changed - driveplate, very difficult (it is slightly bigger than standard) /- the box is irreplaceable.#

The gold adonising can be easily removed and the driveplate polished. With this and the above changes you would not be having this conversation.

Cox definitely produced the tabbed/ribbed carb body, I have one new in its packet and unopened.

I find it difficult to assimilate the emotion generated by a sale like this. The RC05 is one of two (the RC09) that would probably be welcomed by Clubs in the UK because it has a silencer/muffler and keeps within the permitted sound levels. So what if it isn't perfect. If you have nothng to compare it to - how would you know that it wasn't genuine?

If I wanted an RC engine of this size and antiquity, $100 -$120 does not seem unreasonable. A new PAW 049 RC with silencer is at least $150.

All TD 051s have the groove in the piston.

ian1954
ian1954
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ZACATTACK Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:05 pm

This is a conversation that is about mis-representation ( if the seller is aware) on E-Bay and to educate viewers visiting this very unique forum for advise when looking to purchase such rare motors manufactured by Cox, nothing else. If your finding it difficult to absorb or assimilate such emotion regarding mis representation as to the ad in question, then your wallet has obviously not been on the receieving end of such a deal. Regardless of emotion, which I obviously have, I will continue to point out such mis-representations on E-Bay to try help the poor guy buying these engines so he then has a better idea as to the level to place his Bid. Just trying help Ian!!
ZACATTACK
ZACATTACK
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  WingingIt74 Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:13 pm

Yes, but we can not say wether it's correct or not, except from the point that it doesn't look like others seen. That doesn't mean that it didn't come from Cox that way... which was the point I was trying to make. It has enough parts to be correct, who can say if it is or is not?

What if you buy it, find a silver driveplate and buy a needle valve.. then would it be.. as you say correct. Would it not be real? Would that be a restoration or loosing a part of history?
WingingIt74
WingingIt74
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum