Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Sad day at LHS Cox_ba12

Sad day at LHS Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Prayers for my Wife Please
by rsv1cox Today at 12:14 pm

» Cox Ryan ST 2.0
by 944_Jim Today at 11:52 am

» Hawk had breakfast and then took a bath
by rsv1cox Today at 9:38 am

» Blue backplate postage stamp engine
by getback Today at 6:46 am

» COX Postage Stamp engine -Babe Bee & Horseshoe Backplate adapters
by GallopingGhostler Today at 6:33 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 3:45 pm

» Prop Rod - resto to a runner
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 12:41 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 12:24 pm

» Internet buy
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 9:15 am

» Artwork for Otto Kuhni
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 8:26 am

» Sherline lathe wont run
by getback Yesterday at 7:15 am

» Roddie's water-cooling bottle for bench-running
by roddie Tue May 14, 2024 7:38 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Sad day at LHS Empty
Live on Patrol

Sad day at LHS

Go down

Sad day at LHS Empty Sad day at LHS

Post  Admin Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:18 pm

I went up to Hub Hobby today to see if I could find some 1/4" conductive foil tape (which I did not find) and I thought I would see what they still had for Cox stuff. Most of the Cox stuff was cleared out a few years ago with me and a few other buying it but they always had a few things like a few Sure Starts, Cox props, glow head clips and at least 20 or so wrench kits that included a starter stick, 2 .049 wrenches and a piece of fuel tubing. I haven't been up there for quite some time so they moved things around. No sure starts in the engine case, no glow head clips, no cox props (with the exception of what I bought today) and no wrench kits. I asked if they moved any of it and they said "oh we're done with that stuff, we put everything on sale and it even took a long time to get rid of that". They said that they had to lower the Sure Starts down to about $8 before they would sell (where was I when they did this?), the wrench kits down to 50¢ each (again, where was I?) and the props down to 50¢ to $1 each... I found the last 4 cox gray 8x4 props for $1 each. I told them about Cox International and Ex Model Engines (again) but he said "there doesn't seem to be a market for these items anymore, nowhere to fly them, too noisy and electric is just plain 100 times better". No While I was there, I thought I would try to get those Tornado props again which they had a good sized box of at least 20 or 30. They put them their back room because another person told them that they are dangerous. The first guy I was talking to had no idea what I was talking about but the older guy a few feet away said that they threw those out months ago...
DAMMIT! DAMMIT! DAMMIT!

On top of all this, the 1/4" shiny tape which looked like it would be foil turned out to be plastic... so yeah, a little bummed today.

They do on the other hand still have props that would work with these small engines as well as castor oil and overpriced 1/2A fuel.

Sad day at LHS -2010
Sad day at LHS -1910
Sad day at LHS -1810

Admin
Admin
Administrator

http://sites.google.com/site/coxenginecollection/

Back to top Go down

Sad day at LHS Empty Re: Sad day at LHS

Post  EXModelEngines Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:36 pm

Sorry to hear about your experience. I cannot say I am surprised though, because after you suggested we contact them some time ago, they were pretty rude.

Really unfortunate about those props! We might be getting a small box of the Grish Tornado in soon though (we'll see!).

Matt
EXModelEngines
EXModelEngines
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Official Cox Dealer

http://www.exmodelengines.com

Back to top Go down

Post  shell shock Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:02 pm

If it makes you feel better, my LHS's kit section and material section is getting smaller and smaller as they fill up with more and more hobby zone foamies DAMMIT!
shell shock
shell shock
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:31 pm

There is about 20 linear feet of glow materials, and a couple OS engines in a display case at my not so local LHS. They also have another 12 linear feet of wood, metal, and covering films. The owner says building materials is a big part of their business, but glow is no longer as significant.

The local craft store has better stock levels of building materials, but not as good selection.

I am the "other" control line pilot.

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:07 pm

'tis the way it 'tis guys...we are the last Knights of this Little Religion. At least we have some young folks to carry on the Legend of Back in the Day !!!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:24 pm

I really should stop complaining about Hub Hobby, compared to most other hobby shops I have ever been in, they always seemed to have the most. Plus, they really were the only shop in the metro that actually had a good supply of Cox stuff this far into the 2000s. I haven't been there in about 3 years but lol the "Hobby Town USA" doesn't even have props for engines smaller than a .15 and the "Hobby Warehouse" stopped carrying Cox engines and accessories in the mid 90s. Besides all that, at least 5 hobby shops that were in my local area have closed within the last 10 years. Hub doesn't appear to be struggling any as they are always full of people and there is always a line at the register but I suppose if Cox stuff just doesn't sell, no point in stocking it.

On a side note, be sure to check the toy isle of hardware stores, awhile back (probably 4-5 years ago) I took a trip up to Two Harbors, MN and there was a little old True Value hardware store that had a Testors .049 plane and some 1/2A sized plane kits on the shelf. I didn't buy the Testors because I was only after Cox stuff at the time. I should almost give the Hardware Hank up the road Matt and Bernie's site addresses, maybe they would order some planes and engines to sell in the store. Hardware stores seem to like to get items that are odd or different when it comes to non-hardware stuff.

Admin
Admin
Administrator

http://sites.google.com/site/coxenginecollection/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum