Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

CEF Profile Scale Speed rules. Cox_ba12

CEF Profile Scale Speed rules. Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» #Abortion pills in Dubai#+277-32027887 Abortion pills for sale in Dubai
by kasm Yesterday at 11:51 pm

» Original Box for P-51 Bendix Trophy Racer Value
by Wayne Brown Yesterday at 11:09 pm

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by MauricioB Yesterday at 5:40 pm

» Cox P-51 Bendix Trophy Racer
by Wayne Brown Yesterday at 5:39 pm

» thread measurements
by MauricioB Yesterday at 5:33 pm

» Cox Thompson Trophy Winner
by Jerry Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» COX 010 TeeDee with RC carb, courtesy sosam 117
by rdw777 Yesterday at 3:08 pm

» "Me and Crazy Horse...Our Anniversary"
by fit90 Yesterday at 2:52 pm

» a cheap sport muffler
by robot797 Yesterday at 1:34 pm

» OS 10FSR Carb Needed
by Cougar 429 Yesterday at 1:14 pm

» AP .061 Hornet
by F4D Phantom II Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:01 pm

» dozens of old .049 TeeDee's, Medallions and a few others
by rsv1cox Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:46 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

CEF Profile Scale Speed rules. Empty
Live on Patrol

CEF Profile Scale Speed rules.

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

CEF Profile Scale Speed rules. Empty CEF Profile Scale Speed rules.

Post  JPvelo Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:47 pm

2015 Profile Scale Speed rules:

Models will be of an actual aircraft type and must be recognizable as the subject being modeled. The model may be painted/covered in the scheme of your choosing, the paint/covering does not need to replicate an actual aircraft.

Minimum wingspan 15 inches, biplanes 12.5 inches, minimum wing area 45 square inches, minimum length 12 inches. Length is measured from the face of the prop drive plate to the rearmost part of the model. Fuselage will be of the profile type, meaning a flat "plank" or "slab".

Engine cowlings are not only permitted, they are encouraged to enhance the scale appearance of the model. Cowlings on models with the cylinder aligned horizontally must leave the entire glow head exposed and no part if the cowling will extend past that point. Vertically aligned cylinders may be fully enclosed if they fall within the scale outline of the aircraft bring modeled "Cheek blocks" or "nacelles" will not extend more than 3&3/8 inches past the back of the engine crankcase. The back of the crankcase on a reed valve engine is where the tank or backplate mates to the engine.
CEF Profile Scale Speed rules. T5Uitvg

All controls, bellcrank, leadouts if used, and pushrod will be exposed and visible.

If building a model of a fixed gear aircraft the model must have a landing gear similar to the full scale aircraft, the gear does not need to be in the scale location. Models of aircraft with retractable landing gear may omit the landing gear entirely. Take off dollys may be used, hand or stooge launching is also permitted.

Any .049/.051 reed valve engine or combination of engines totaling not more than .051 assembled from reed valve crankcases with cox parts or reproduction parts of the type sold by Cox International and EX Model Engines will be  permitted.

http://coxengines.ca
http://www.exmodelengines.com

Aftermarket fine thread needle valve assemblies will also be permitted. Entrants may make their own reeds. Any style glow head or glow plug may be used. Engines will be run "open faced", meaning no mufflers or exhaust extensions will be permitted. After market prop nut type spinners may be used.

Engines may be of the integrated tank "Bee" type or use an external tank or bladder. External tanks and bladders may be enclosed within the engine nacelle.

Models in the Tee Dee class may use any cox .049/.051 engine or combination of engines totaling not more than .051 assembled from cox parts or aftermarket parts of the type sold by Cox International and EX Model Engines may be used.

http://coxengines.ca
http://www.exmodelengines.com

Aftermarket needle valves, glow heads/plugs, carb bodies, and spinners may be used.
Engines will be run "open faced" with no mufflers or exhaust extensions.

There will be no restrictions on propellers used in either class.

Fuel will have a maximum nitromethane content of 35%

Models will be flown on lines that are a minimum of 35 feet from the handle to the center line of the model and timed for 12 laps (1/2 mile) after becoming airborne and the engine has had a chance to "unload".

You may submit more than one entry but each entry must have its own engine, no swapping engines from model to model.

Models that have placed in the top three in a previous contest may not be re-entered.

Photographs of finished, flight ready models must be posted by Monday, December 14th 2015 in order to qualify. A separate thread for qualifying model photos will be opened October 1st. Models will be judged by a polling of members for "best model".  An official flight video must be submitted to win the best model poll.

Competitors will have until midnight Thurday, December 31st to submit video of your official flight via private message to JpVelo. Flight videos may be submitted at any time between now and December 31st. Submit only one video per model, once your video is submitted it is your official run and cannot be withdrawn and replaced with a new video. Models may be flown by the builder or flown by proxy.

Video will include launch and landing. You are allowed to "whip" the model as much as needed to get it safely in the air and up to speed. When you are satisfied the engine has unloaded and you are going  max speed you will raise your hand over your head. The signal to start timing will be when you drop your hand. Timing begins the first time the model passes between the camera and the pilot after the signal. The pilot must be in the video and the hand signal must be clear. Timing will be for 12 laps (1/2 mile).

Here's the sample video:

When you private message the video to me send the URL code only, that will look like this:
https://youtu.be/c5HjoIOtmoU
This will make it easier for me to send the videos to the judges.

Jim

Last edited by JPvelo on Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:12 pm; edited 15 times in total (Reason for editing : Clarification of)
JPvelo
JPvelo
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

CEF Profile Scale Speed rules. Empty Re: CEF Profile Scale Speed rules.

Post  RknRusty Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:38 am

Thanks, Jim. Sounds great, I'll consider the rules to be now chiseled in stone unless you decide to tweak a section for clarity. This is exciting and completely new for me. Thanks for thinking it up.

Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  JPvelo Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:42 am

RknRusty wrote:Thanks, Jim. Sounds great, I'll consider the rules to be now chiseled in stone unless you decide to tweak a section for clarity. This is exciting and completely new for me. Thanks for thinking it up.

Rusty
Thanks Rusty, I've been kicking this around for awhile and am really pleased with the response so far. This could be a real blast if we get enough participation.

Jim
JPvelo
JPvelo
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  OVERLORD Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:47 am

I feel it's gonna be an intercontinental contest.
OVERLORD
OVERLORD
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  navion34 Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:59 am

This challenge is a very good idea.

What about the airfoil ? Is it allowed to fit a "sheet airfoil" or a real airfoil is to do, and what is the minimum thick of the wing ?

I hope I don't miss something where it's noted.

Regards,

Rémy
navion34
navion34
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  JPvelo Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:10 am

navion34 wrote:This challenge is a very good idea.

What about the airfoil ? Is it allowed to fit a "sheet airfoil" or a real airfoil is to do, and what is the minimum thick of the wing ?

I hope I don't miss something where it's noted.

Regards,

Rémy
No minimum thickness, a sheet wing is recommended for maximum speed.

Jim
JPvelo
JPvelo
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  navion34 Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:12 am

Thank you Jim,
navion34
navion34
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:43 pm

Ya know...just because this is a "Postal Contest", there's still no reason that we can't consider a "Get-Together"...is there ???

By April, I ought to have a good case of wander-lust going on so, maybe a few of us can pick a spot central enough between us for a "Mini-Speed Nationals" ?
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  JPvelo Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:04 pm

Kim wrote:Ya know...just because this is a "Postal Contest", there's still no reason that we can't consider a "Get-Together"...is there ???

By April, I ought to have a good case of wander-lust going on so, maybe a few of us can pick a spot central enough between us for a "Mini-Speed Nationals" ?
That would be cool!

Jim
JPvelo
JPvelo
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:17 pm

Is this going to be an "all-out" dash... for fastest lap-time out of 10 only... or could we make it interesting by awarding appearance points 1-10... 10 being "highly recognizable" as a scale subject?
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  JPvelo Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:19 pm

roddie wrote:Is this going to be an "all-out" dash... for fastest lap-time out of 10 only... or could we make it interesting by awarding appearance points 1-10... 10 being "highly recognizable" as a scale subject?
I want this to be an all out speed dash with stand off scale planes. By "stand off scale" I mean the model MUST BE EASILY RECOGNIZABLE as the subject plane. Outlines and proportions need to be reasonably accurate. All models need to be "highly recognizeable" as you put it.

If someone wants to start a thread to vote on the best looking or most scale they are welcome to but I prefer that to not happen until AFTER the speed competition is over with.

Jim
JPvelo
JPvelo
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:28 pm

....and maybe we can develop more ideas if it becomes an annual event. The first run probably poses questions we haven't anticipated.

Rusty

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  JPvelo Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:01 pm

RknRusty wrote:....and maybe we can develop more ideas if it becomes an annual event. The first run probably poses questions we haven't anticipated.

Rusty
Agreed, let's keep the first one simple and fun and build on that experience next year.

Jm
JPvelo
JPvelo
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  JPvelo Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:11 pm

JPvelo wrote:
roddie wrote:Is this going to be an "all-out" dash... for fastest lap-time out of 10 only... or could we make it interesting by awarding appearance points 1-10... 10 being "highly recognizable" as a scale subject?
I want this to be an all out speed dash with stand off scale planes. By "stand off scale" I mean the model MUST BE EASILY RECOGNIZABLE as the subject plane. Outlines and proportions need to be reasonably accurate. All models need to be "highly recognizeable" as you put it.

If someone wants to start a thread to vote on the best looking or most scale they are welcome to but I prefer that to not happen until AFTER the speed competition is over with.

Jim
Roddie, I feel like I owe you an apology. Reading over my post I think it may have come across as a little snarky.  Having had some time to think about it an appearance contest  would be a fun aspect to this thing. We could do two separate categories, most scale like and best over all.  Most scale like for models trying to replicate a specific aircraft, a photo of the aircraft would be provided to judge the model against. There's no reason the same model couldn't win both categories. If we can get Admin to set up voting I say go for it. It would even be fun to judge the "beauty contest" before the actual race.

Jim
JPvelo
JPvelo
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:54 pm

If we are doing appearance judging I would prefer a points system with a standardized questionnaire. Standardized the images the airplane too. Say...

bottom
front quarter from about 30 degrees above
rear quarter from about 30 degrees above
Choice

Yea 6 pictures showing all angles. Bottom and top would be used for dimension judging.

We can still do a popular voting on appearance.

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:05 pm

JPvelo wrote:
JPvelo wrote:

Jim
Roddie, I feel like I owe you an apology. Reading over my post I think it may have come across as a little snarky.  Having had some time to think about it an appearance contest  would be a fun aspect to this thing. We could do two separate categories, most scale like and best over all.  Most scale like for models trying to replicate a specific aircraft, a photo of the aircraft would be provided to judge the model against. There's no reason the same model couldn't win both categories. If we can get Admin to set up voting I say go for it. It would even be fun to judge the "beauty contest" before the actual race.

Jim
No apologies needed Jim... I was merely "throwing the idea out there" to test the waters. It's all good!
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  JPvelo Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:01 pm

Kim wrote:Ya know...just because this is a "Postal Contest", there's still no reason that we can't consider a "Get-Together"...is there ???

I attended my first meeting of "The Central Arizona Control Line Club" tonight. I told them about the contest and the guy that does the newsletter wanted a link to the rules so he can post it in the next issue. Maybe there will be enough local participation to hold "mini speed nationals here"! You cold climate guys would love April in Phoenix, should be about 85 degrees then.

Jim

JPvelo
JPvelo
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:17 am

When measuring the fuselage length, does a control surface extending behind the bulk of the fuselage count?

Just checking, I expect the answer is "no"

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  JPvelo Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:50 am

pkrankow wrote:When measuring the fuselage length, does a control surface extending behind the bulk of the fuselage count?

Phil
Yes, it counts. 12 inches overall length.

Jim
JPvelo
JPvelo
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:59 am

JPvelo wrote:
pkrankow wrote:When measuring the fuselage length, does a control surface extending behind the bulk of the fuselage count?

Phil
Yes, it counts. 12 inches overall length.

Jim
Excellent! I didn't screw up then.
Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:17 pm

I thought it might be important to mention; that the model choice must be a "single-engine" aircraft... the rules "language" does not particularly specify this...

Someone will build a P-38 or F-82... and blow us all away like a deer in the headlights! Shocked
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:19 pm

roddie wrote:...Someone will build a P-38 or F-82... and blow us all away like a deer in the headlights! Shocked
Yeah, if they don't hurt themselves turning 1 second laps!

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  GUS THE I.A. Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:22 am

I offer Wichita as a good centralized location for a get-together. We have nice, paved circles to fly from. We already fly Mouse racers here, and this sounds like another good venue for the Cox engines!
GUS THE I.A.
GUS THE I.A.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:05 am

GUS THE I.A. wrote:I offer Wichita as a good centralized location for a get-together. We have nice, paved circles to fly from. We already fly Mouse racers here, and this sounds like another good venue for the Cox engines!
That's within "Striking Distance" for me !!!

Traveling Kim
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:31 am

Reckon I'll renew my AMA Membership if I'm gonna hang around you guys !
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next