Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Technique for Extended Test-Bench Run with 8cc Tanked Engines Cox_ba12

Technique for Extended Test-Bench Run with 8cc Tanked Engines Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Here we go again... another Lawn-Boy
by rsv1cox Today at 7:40 pm

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by roddie Today at 3:48 pm

» Help Pee Wee tank cap .020
by rdw777 Today at 1:38 pm

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by Admin Today at 11:31 am

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by GTO455 Today at 9:11 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 8:29 am

» Post your Older books
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 8:51 pm

» EXTREMELY RARE COX THIMBLE DROME PROTOTYPE "BLACK WIDOW" GAS MODEL AIRPLANE
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:58 pm

» I brake for Turtles....
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:38 pm

» Ball - Socket Joints
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 4:06 pm

» A little nostalgia…
by MauricioB Yesterday at 3:32 pm

» A new useful transport vehicle
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 11:32 am

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Technique for Extended Test-Bench Run with 8cc Tanked Engines Empty
Live on Patrol

Technique for Extended Test-Bench Run with 8cc Tanked Engines

Go down

Technique for Extended Test-Bench Run with 8cc Tanked Engines Empty Technique for Extended Test-Bench Run with 8cc Tanked Engines

Post  Kim Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:05 pm

Technique for Extended Test-Bench Run with 8cc Tanked Engines:

Maybe every body knows this and I'm just now getting a clue, but I've had several tanked engines that I wanted to run out past 3-4 minutes for break-in purposes and such.

I'd thought about capping the vent tube, and running a line from a larger tank to the filler tube, and greatly extend my run. I was told (not here) that it just wouldn't work (though I'd done it before with larger engines).

Well, I finally remembered to try it while breaking in the teflon reed in this old Golden Bee. It worked just fine...put a 20 minute run on this cantankerous sucker!

I just filled the Bee's tank, capped the vent, drew some fuel to the end on the outside line, clamped it, connected it to the filler, and unclamped it when the engine started.

Just for your info, in case someone else was wondering about it.

Technique for Extended Test-Bench Run with 8cc Tanked Engines 1_33

Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Technique for Extended Test-Bench Run with 8cc Tanked Engines Empty Re: Technique for Extended Test-Bench Run with 8cc Tanked Engines

Post  dckrsn Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:12 pm

Great idea, thanks for posting it Kim.
I'm guessing it would work for vented
backplates too.
My neighbors are gonna love it. Mad
Bob
dckrsn
dckrsn
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Technique for Extended Test-Bench Run with 8cc Tanked Engines Empty Re: Technique for Extended Test-Bench Run with 8cc Tanked Engines

Post  RknRusty Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:33 pm

dckrsn wrote:Great idea, thanks for posting it Kim.
I'm guessing it would work for vented
backplates too.
My neighbors are gonna love it. Mad
Bob
It's vented, see the plug he made for the vent on the right side. Same way with the Babe Bee backplate if you want to do that.
I may add an extended flying bladder on my Black Widow powered planes. I never get long enough flights with them. I just learned how to make one for my Tee Dee and it works great. It's a balloon with a perforated tube extending the length of the balloon. Suck all the air out and put fuel in it. Works like a charm.
Here's a picture:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=19851117&postcount=13

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:23 pm

Is there a reason you can"t add fuel to the tank while it is running? It obviously it won"t work for flying but what about test runs? Possibly it would flood the engine?
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:24 pm

cribbs74 wrote:Is there a reason you can"t add fuel to the tank while it is running? It obviously it won"t work for flying but what about test runs? Possibly it would flood the engine?

I always refill the tank when the engine is running.
Admin
Admin
Administrator

http://sites.google.com/site/coxenginecollection/

Back to top Go down

Post  microflitedude Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:38 pm

So is no modification to the stock 8cc stunt tank required for this?
microflitedude
microflitedude
Top Poster
Top Poster

https://www.facebook.com/MiniCub?fref=ts

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:06 pm

microflitedude wrote:So is no modification to the stock 8cc stunt tank required for this?
No, other than plugging the other vent so it will pull a vacuum to draw from the external tank. See the capped piece of fuel line on the right vent in the picture.

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  microflitedude Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:08 pm

RknRusty wrote:
microflitedude wrote:So is no modification to the stock 8cc stunt tank required for this?
No, other than plugging the other vent so it will pull a vacuum to draw from the external tank. See the capped piece of fuel line on the right vent in the picture.

Ah, I see now. Wish I had more room in my plane.
microflitedude
microflitedude
Top Poster
Top Poster

https://www.facebook.com/MiniCub?fref=ts

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:27 pm

Admin wrote:
cribbs74 wrote:Is there a reason you can"t add fuel to the tank while it is running? It obviously it won"t work for flying but what about test runs? Possibly it would flood the engine?

I always refill the tank when the engine is running.

It would flood the engine, but I use a small pair of surgical clamps on the external line 'till the engine is started. I've sure it helps to have the tank a bit higher than the engine to let it siphon into the Bee's tank.

I refuel them when running too, and this extra stuff may not be worth the trouble, but does save spraying fuel on the stand. In the case of the small tanks, it would let you settle in with a long run without fueling the engine every 2-3 minutes.

Also, if you've got the pickup tube someplace other than the bottom of the tank, it won't give you a full tank's run. This way, it'll feed 'till you want to stop it, AND give you a visual reference of how much fuel you've used. Sometimes, I like to start them and let 'em run, with no hurry to get the tach or camera.

It's not something I thought everyone would use...just posted it in case it might come in handy for someone.
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:59 pm

Kim wrote:
It's not something I thought everyone would use...just posted it in case it might come in handy for someone.

For folks wanting a longer run when flying (particularly R/C), one option was to drill the tank and plumb in an external tank. I was never inclined to drill the tank (not wanting to ruin the tank being foremost). Kim's approach gives you an option for good flight times using an external tank without destroying an existing COX tank. You do need to ensure the fuel tubing is tightly secured and you must be able to block any other vents.
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:26 pm

Yeah, I've got a pretty nice Golden Bee tank with a big hole drilled in it. The hole is plugged with a screw and nut, and works fine...but the blemish just sort of jumps out at you!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Technique for Extended Test-Bench Run with 8cc Tanked Engines Empty 8cc

Post  dankar04 Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:20 pm

Years ago drilling out tank was quite common. Parts were easy to get if you wanted to make like stock again. I never did this as just went to a TD. .049. I see many engine set-ups on this forum and amazed on how long some fuel lines are. I put tank as close to engine and use shortest fuel line that will work. From smallest to biggest.010-.80 sized engines. Maybe its just me but long fuel line is asking for problems.
Dan Flying
dankar04
dankar04
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:02 pm

dankar04 wrote:Years ago drilling out tank was quite common. Parts were easy to get if you wanted to make like stock again. I never did this as just went to a TD. .049. I see many engine set-ups on this forum and amazed on how long some fuel lines are. I put tank as close to engine and use shortest fuel line that will work. From smallest to biggest.010-.80 sized engines. Maybe its just me but long fuel line is asking for problems.
Dan Flying

It is if the engine has to draw the fuel, but if you've got the tank even a little elevated above the spraybar, the engine won't know the difference and will mostly run just fine. This is ONLY true in sport planes that aren't gonna try to sustain inverted flight.

On my first "R/C Cross Country Flight" to raise money for the United Way, I even connected two tanks in series to make the hop from my company parking lot to a landing at a park 9 miles away. I put a tank under the wing, ran a line for fuel to the internal tank, and a line for pressure from the O.S.'s muffler, and off we went. I still manged to run out of gas because of slow traffic (yes, even in the country...tractors, you know), and had to make a rather exciting landing AND takeoff between the trees on the park's narrow drive.

Technique for Extended Test-Bench Run with 8cc Tanked Engines Mud_da10

Technique for Extended Test-Bench Run with 8cc Tanked Engines Mud_da13

"...And the Crowd goes Wild!"
Technique for Extended Test-Bench Run with 8cc Tanked Engines Mud_da11

Technique for Extended Test-Bench Run with 8cc Tanked Engines Mud_da14

Technique for Extended Test-Bench Run with 8cc Tanked Engines Mud_da15

Technique for Extended Test-Bench Run with 8cc Tanked Engines Mud_da16

Anyway.those were my dealings with it.
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:56 pm

Well Kim you do the best things with simple trainers!
What are the legalities of flying cross country?
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://modeldieselengines.forumstopic.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:12 pm

nitroairplane wrote:Well Kim you do the best things with simple trainers!
What are the legalities of flying cross country?

None that I know of...yet. I just "cowboyed it" out in the boondocks, raised right at $200 bucks, AND had a great time. Of course, a single raghead could change all this, much like what the 9-11 rug-benders did to general aviation and the second amendment, but for now, in spite of ole Box 'o Rocks, America is still a relatively free country !

Trainers and their kind ARE highly underrated! There are limitless things a good stable lifting platform can do. I haven't even started some of the night time experiments I want to do...articulated spotlights on servos, aerial sound systems, and lighted signs towed behind a plane! Figure I may initiate an environmental disaster by causing the local Meth-Heads to flush their stash! Then...Goodbye Snail Darter !
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:19 pm

Trainers and their kind ARE highly underrated! There are limitless things a good stable lifting platform can do. I haven't even started some of the night time experiments I want to do...articulated spotlights on servos, aerial sound systems, and lighted signs towed behind a plane! Figure I may initiate an environmental disaster by causing the local Meth-Heads to flush their stash! Then...Goodbye Snail Darter !

LOL yeah i suppose they are perfect for almost anything!
Imagine a cross london tee dee .010 flight Huh...
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:24 pm

nitroairplane wrote:Trainers and their kind ARE highly underrated! There are limitless things a good stable lifting platform can do. I haven't even started some of the night time experiments I want to do...articulated spotlights on servos, aerial sound systems, and lighted signs towed behind a plane! Figure I may initiate an environmental disaster by causing the local Meth-Heads to flush their stash! Then...Goodbye Snail Darter !

LOL yeah i suppose they are perfect for almost anything!
Imagine a cross london tee dee .010 flight Huh...

Now THAT would be cool !!!! But don't even THINK about doing it without video coverage !!! Maybe a lap around Big Ben...but be careful not to hit it...I hear it's leaning !!!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:27 pm

LOL i was really thinking about getting a .049 sailplane up to about 1,500 feet in central london but the noise!
Still i will do some research.
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:49 pm

nitroairplane wrote:LOL i was really thinking about getting a .049 sailplane up to about 1,500 feet in central london but the noise!
Still i will do some research.

MUFFLE, MAN, MUFFLE !!!!!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:51 pm

yes then i can run better pressure on the tank but i dont know!
Maybe I will maybe i wont but i would love to do it some day.
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:57 pm

nitroairplane wrote:yes then i can run better pressure on the tank but i dont know!

Cruise one of these sucker across the Thames! INSTANT popularity !

Technique for Extended Test-Bench Run with 8cc Tanked Engines Reaper10
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:58 pm

Kim wrote:
nitroairplane wrote:yes then i can run better pressure on the tank but i dont know!

Cruise one of these sucker across the Thames! INSTANT popularity !

Technique for Extended Test-Bench Run with 8cc Tanked Engines Reaper10

LOL yeah it would be popular especially with the COD guys Smile
No i think that .010 Spruce Goose would be more fun Smile
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down