Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

The perils if flying from asphalt... Cox_ba12

The perils if flying from asphalt... Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Happy Anzac Day!
by Oldenginerod Today at 5:07 pm

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Onelife Today at 4:34 pm

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by MauricioB Today at 4:08 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 3:56 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by rsv1cox Today at 7:17 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Today at 6:20 am

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by Levent Suberk Today at 12:23 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Yesterday at 10:25 pm

» Micro Draco Gets to Fly on a Beautiful Morning.
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:15 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:06 pm

» Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 5:12 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Yesterday at 3:39 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

The perils if flying from asphalt... Empty
Live on Patrol

The perils if flying from asphalt...

Go down

The perils if flying from asphalt... Empty The perils if flying from asphalt...

Post  JPvelo Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:34 pm

My son said it best "The soviet military was crushed today".
The perils if flying from asphalt... CZT9jDk

Jim
JPvelo
JPvelo
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

The perils if flying from asphalt... Empty Re: The perils if flying from asphalt...

Post  Cribbs74 Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:16 pm

Well Shoot, sorry Jim... Sad 
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

The perils if flying from asphalt... Empty Re: The perils if flying from asphalt...

Post  RknRusty Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:25 pm

Oh my, that's terrible. Glad the Yakking Clown got to show itself off on SH the other day before its demise. I lost my concentration and busted a prop today, but thank god for sod. Wet sod.
Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  JPvelo Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:35 pm

The fuselage was actually busted in half twice before, so it's still in one piece due to fiberglass reinforcements. It's still fixable but certainly not on top of the project list. I think after the twister I will get back to work on the twin mustang with an eye on the 1/2a twin scale meet in Tucson.

Jim
JPvelo
JPvelo
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:32 am

Jim I know the feeling , use to fly a lot at church parking lots man that stuff just don't give ! much rather clean mud off than a rebuild , sorry to see that  Biplane 
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:41 am

The Speed Contest planes will most likely all be flying off/over asphalt... I've always flown over grass, and believe me; I'm nervous about pavement. Granted.. we won't be doing any planned stunting...  but it's the unexpected that worries me. My 1st test flight of the "Rare Bear" is planned to be at a site where pavement transitions smoothly to grass. I'll try pinning-down my stooge at the edge on the grass, with gear wheels on the pavement.. and running my lines to the left, so that I have a split 180 degrees of pavement/grass circle. If I can get the plane airborne before it reaches the grass, I'll move back totally over the grass ASAP. Hopefully this will be "safer".. along with fuel enough for maybe a minute, in case  the plane has any bad habits.

roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:41 am

Roddie:

The above has become standard practice for anyone with much CL experience.

If your flying location isn't large enough accomodate moving back a pace or so find one that is.

No sense tempting fate!  Devil   No! 

SD
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:42 am

Most if not all of our contests are held over asphalt for stunt. It's no different. One thing though that I feel is very important is to not use socket head bolts to retain your engine when flying over asphalt. If you use standard steel machine screws, the engine will usually break  right out of the beams doing very little damage. Socket heads retain the engine which usually results in the cylinder or case being broken. I've had my share of those. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:14 pm

My first contest...flying on pavement and really windy, I didn't know enough to lead it into the loops and it really wound up fast, second loop was like a combat ship, third loop was a figure '9' with my Banshee smacking the asphalt at a shallow angle sending my beloved Fox .35 (the one I had since 6th grade) skipping across the parking lot like a flat stone on a calm lake, must traveled 40-50 yards!
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/049Collectors/

Back to top Go down

Post  JPvelo Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:30 pm

Ken Cook wrote:Most if not all of our contests are held over asphalt for stunt. It's no different. One thing though that I feel is very important is to not use socket head bolts to retain your engine when flying over asphalt. If you use standard steel machine screws, the engine will usually break  right out of the beams doing very little damage. Socket heads retain the engine which usually results in the cylinder or case being broken. I've had my share of those. Ken
Excellent tip Ken, thank you.

Jim
JPvelo
JPvelo
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:44 pm

Mark Boesen wrote:My first contest...flying on pavement and really windy, I didn't know enough to lead it into the loops and it really wound up fast, second loop was like a combat ship, third loop was a figure '9' with my Banshee smacking the asphalt at a shallow angle sending my beloved Fox .35 (the one I had since 6th grade) skipping across the parking lot like a flat stone on a calm lake, must traveled 40-50 yards!

That's sad and funny at the same time Mark!
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:56 pm

yep, it was pretty amazing how much energy the wind can develop and how far that sucker went...I still got the Banshee parts above the garage in the attic...the final resting place for all my crashed planes, I never have the heart to throw away. The Fox saw action again on a Skyray for a Foxy/Sig Racer (control line racing with Fox .35's)...minus a slight chip on the venture and dinged up head.
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/049Collectors/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down