Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Brodak gold dope question Cox_ba12

Brodak gold dope question Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Fox .35 Modifications
by Onelife Today at 6:47 pm

» Happy Anzac Day!
by 706jim Today at 6:44 pm

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by MauricioB Today at 4:08 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 3:56 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by rsv1cox Today at 7:17 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Today at 6:20 am

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by Levent Suberk Today at 12:23 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Yesterday at 10:25 pm

» Micro Draco Gets to Fly on a Beautiful Morning.
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:15 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:06 pm

» Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 5:12 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Yesterday at 3:39 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Brodak gold dope question Empty
Live on Patrol

Brodak gold dope question

Go down

Brodak gold dope question Empty Brodak gold dope question

Post  roddie Fri May 16, 2014 4:23 pm

A fellow C/L model friend is trying to finish his Oriental with Brodak gold dope trim. After testing on some scrap, the gold does not cover well.. and would take a LOT to achieve the results he's looking for. I don't know all the details, but asked via email; if he was thinning the dope... brushing vs. spraying... and if he'd tried using an alternate base-trim color, like light brown or a dark yellow. He hadn't stated what his base color was.. but liked the gold in the photo of my speed model that I sent him. I explained that I didn't use any dope in my finish... but if he can obtain a 1-2oz. bottle of Brodak alternate base-color for his trim "locally".. it might be worth some experimentation.

Any suggestions for helping him "get his gold" without having to apply excessive coats?

roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Brodak gold dope question Empty Re: Brodak gold dope question

Post  Ken Cook Fri May 16, 2014 6:06 pm

Roddie, I never sprayed gold. I have some here and I have to ask, is this in a bottle or a can. Is this being sprayed? I'm pretty convinced that there are differences between the can and the bottle. It just seems like the material is much thinner in the bottle for brushing purposes. Whenever I have a can of Brodak dope it takes a long time to stir this up. I use a piece of music wire in my cordless drill to mix and it takes a few minutes. I thin it after the solids are thoroughly mixed. I also can't see brushing gold on with good results. Silver has a similar characteristic when brushed and you just don't get a even distribution and it becomes blotchy. I would also think that a sprayed coat of polar gray or white would work as a good undercoat. If silver or gold is thinned too much the solids settle to the bottom requiring constant mixing during the spray period.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Fri May 16, 2014 6:33 pm

Ken Cook wrote:            Roddie, I never sprayed gold. I have some here and I have to ask, is this in a bottle or a can. Is this being sprayed? I'm pretty convinced that there are differences between the can and the bottle. It just seems like the material is much thinner in the bottle for brushing purposes. Whenever I have a can of Brodak dope it takes a long time to stir this up. I use a piece of music wire in my cordless drill to mix and it takes a few minutes. I thin it after the solids are thoroughly mixed. I also can't see brushing gold on with good results. Silver has a similar characteristic when brushed and you just don't get a even distribution and it becomes blotchy. I would also think that a sprayed coat of polar gray or white would work as a good undercoat. If silver or gold is thinned too much the solids settle to the bottom requiring constant mixing during the spray period.

Thank You Ken, As I stated; my friend didn't give me much info in his email.. only that it was Brodak gold dope he was trying to use for his trim, and it did not cover well on a scrap piece. I replied asking the questions about thinning and if he was brushing or spraying.. but haven't heard back from him yet. I hope to see him.. as well as Dave Cook, tomorrow or Sunday at the N.E.S.T Spring Memorial Control Line Fly-In at the Wrentham, MA field. I am not at all familiar with Brodak dope, but will tell him of your experience using the bottled vs. canned.. and your method of mixing as well.

Thanks again Ken
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down