Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Killer Bee needle valves are available again Cox_ba12

Killer Bee needle valves are available again Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Fox .35 Modifications
by aspeed Today at 8:06 pm

» Happy Anzac Day!
by 706jim Today at 6:44 pm

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by MauricioB Today at 4:08 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 3:56 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by rsv1cox Today at 7:17 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Today at 6:20 am

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by Levent Suberk Today at 12:23 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Yesterday at 10:25 pm

» Micro Draco Gets to Fly on a Beautiful Morning.
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:15 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:06 pm

» Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 5:12 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Yesterday at 3:39 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Killer Bee needle valves are available again Empty
Live on Patrol

Killer Bee needle valves are available again

Go down

Killer Bee needle valves are available again Empty Killer Bee needle valves are available again

Post  Cox International Tue May 20, 2014 12:46 pm

Cox International
Cox International
Top Poster
Top Poster

Official Cox Dealer

http://www.coxengines.com

Back to top Go down

Killer Bee needle valves are available again Empty Re: Killer Bee needle valves are available again

Post  duke.johnson Tue May 20, 2014 1:05 pm

I'm sure this is a stupid question, but, are these fine NVA's?
duke.johnson
duke.johnson
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Killer Bee needle valves are available again Empty Re: Killer Bee needle valves are available again

Post  Cox International Tue May 20, 2014 1:09 pm

They are 2-80 UNS-3A, same as on all the Cox plastic, square, backplates.

No such thing as a stupid question  Very Happy
Cox International
Cox International
Top Poster
Top Poster

Official Cox Dealer

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Tue May 20, 2014 1:15 pm

Question; The full back-end option shows a crankcase gasket (grey) along with the reed retainer.. I am not using a gasket with my red back-plate.. and it could be the reason for some erratic running that I'd been experiencing with my Speed model's engine.  Huh... I didn't think a gasket was necessary when using that style retainer. I figured that the flange on the retainer took the place (and correct gap-spacing) of a crankcase gasket. Am I wrong in this assumption?

Edit: On your "back-end" pages; The red "die-cast" version flanged reed-retainer (and tune-up kit) include a gasket.. and the regular black retainer (like I have) does not include one.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue May 20, 2014 1:48 pm

I have always used a gasket with the plastic flange type reed retainers. I know some choose not to use a gasket but I don't believe the plastic of the reed retainer is not soft enough to serve as a gasket seal.

Admin
Admin
Administrator

http://sites.google.com/site/coxenginecollection/

Back to top Go down

Post  Cox International Tue May 20, 2014 1:48 pm

Although Cox generally included a gasket, the flanged reed retainers seal well by themselves without a gasket. We like to include a gasket with our overhaul kits because there is no downside and perhaps an upside if the reed retainer ever gets nicked or scratched.

We do not include gaskets with reed retainers only; hence the reason you don't see any pictured with retainers only.

Last edited by Cox International on Tue May 20, 2014 1:49 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Typo)
Cox International
Cox International
Top Poster
Top Poster

Official Cox Dealer

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Tue May 20, 2014 2:28 pm

Thank you both.. I will try installing a gasket; now that I know it is ok to do so. My black flanged reed retainer was not a new part.. (many years old actually) and may not be sealing the crankcase well enough.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Tue May 20, 2014 2:51 pm

Roddie,

I am glad Bernie commented as I was about to. I use gaskets on mine for the reasons mentioned above. It eliminates a variable from the get go. Make sure you sand the mating surface flat on the crankcase as that is a must. If not you might always have issue gaskets or not.

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Tue May 20, 2014 9:57 pm

FWIW, over the years, I bought 3 new pre-'96 Black Widows from Cox(at the LHS), back in the day. All had the black plastic retainer with mylar reeds, and none had a gasket. Others have said theirs did. How's that for a typical Cox answer.
Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Wed May 21, 2014 8:32 am

Cribbs74 wrote:Roddie,

I am glad Bernie commented as I was about to. I use gaskets on mine for the reasons mentioned above. It eliminates a variable from the get go. Make sure you sand the mating surface flat on the crankcase as that is a must. If not you might always have issue gaskets or not.

Ron

Thanks Ron, When I assembled my reed speed engine, I started with a brand new crankcase and smoothed the gasket seat on a platen of glass with 600 grit sandpaper until I saw an even mark of grey aluminum the width of the case showing on the paper. I was surprised at how uneven the area was before I started. A gasket may have made up for the unevenness.. for those who don't perform this step (I never used to before learning of it here) but like you said; "not doing it" could be the cause of many an engine not running as well as it could.

Rusty, back in the early-mid 90's, I ordered black plastic "horseshoe" backplates direct from Cox on two different occasions. I was just starting in the hobby and needed spare parts for my PT-19 Flight Trainer. The early ones had a circlip retainer like on the Bee's integral tanks, and the later one's had the separate plastic retainer. The early circlip style; I found to degrade (crack/split) over time, where the circlip seats.. making them unusable, which is probably why Cox changed the design later on. I had only run Bee's (Babe/Golden) early-on.. and when I discovered the horseshoe backplate being available separately; I bought several.. and designed my own models to utilize them with small external wedge (stunt) tanks. It was the best thing since sliced-bread!!

roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down