Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

2nd annual Vintage Combat Festival in Fairfield, New Jersey Cox_ba12

2nd annual Vintage Combat Festival in Fairfield, New Jersey Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Fox .35 Modifications
by Onelife Today at 9:18 pm

» Happy Anzac Day!
by 706jim Today at 6:44 pm

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by MauricioB Today at 4:08 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 3:56 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by rsv1cox Today at 7:17 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Today at 6:20 am

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by Levent Suberk Today at 12:23 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Yesterday at 10:25 pm

» Micro Draco Gets to Fly on a Beautiful Morning.
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:15 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:06 pm

» Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 5:12 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Yesterday at 3:39 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

2nd annual Vintage Combat Festival in Fairfield, New Jersey Empty
Live on Patrol

2nd annual Vintage Combat Festival in Fairfield, New Jersey

Go down

2nd annual Vintage Combat Festival in Fairfield, New Jersey Empty 2nd annual Vintage Combat Festival in Fairfield, New Jersey

Post  Ken Cook Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:48 pm

Yesterday my son Shawn and I headed to the Middlesex Vintage Combat Festival. Quite a turn out at the Garden State Circle Burners field. Larry Scarinzi attended as well as Bob Hunt and many others which formed the Union model airplane club. Aside from the reunion of fellows some being away from the hobby for the better part of 40 years we had a great turnout of planes and flyers. Larry is into his 80's and he was doing some impressive flying yesterday. I really hope I can do the same. Maybe turning fast in circles is like the fountain of youth. While Larry's flying was impressive, his humor and knowledge is equally impressive. He was very good friends with Duke Fox and also assisted in the design of the Fox .36X. The majority of engines yesterday were mostly Fox .36 X's. In the 60's Larry would tune these engines and sold them to many flyers. These were known as the LS 36's. Larry would alter timing on the cranks, grind and polish ports, and give it a massaging. Many of the designs brought yesterday were Larry's planes. Several Super Satans appeared, The Killer, and the Blitz. Larry had some cool planes.

There was an award to the fastest period engine yesterday. Tom Schaefer I believe won that with his Voodoo (Pictured) at 111 mph and a LS tuned Fox .36x. Many attempts were tried yesterday and all I can say is that I never had Fox .36X's like these. I had several newer Fox Mark series .36's including a Mark VI and I wasn't attaining the speeds they were. Not that mine didn't have the capability, I just wasn't propped for speed.

Tom Luciano a tremendous builder had a few Super Satans which were over the top gorgeous. His latest is shown with the engine nacelle and bladder compartment and booms were carbon fiber. The leading edge stab and shear webs were all covered in carbon tissue. A beautiful plane. More a labor of love.

Bob Hunt also attended and he's pictured flying a Voodoo. Bob is just as impressive in the combat circle as the stunt circle. Bob was flying his electric twin which was just awesome. I didn't get a picture of that due to my camera on off switch failing. Here's what I was able to take, enjoy.
2nd annual Vintage Combat Festival in Fairfield, New Jersey Dscn2117
                                Tom Luciano's beautiful Super Satan utilizing carbon fiber
2nd annual Vintage Combat Festival in Fairfield, New Jersey Dscn2118
2nd annual Vintage Combat Festival in Fairfield, New Jersey Dscn2119
             Bob Hunt ringing out the Voodoo
2nd annual Vintage Combat Festival in Fairfield, New Jersey Dscn2120
          Al Feraro running up his Fox .36X Super Satan.
2nd annual Vintage Combat Festival in Fairfield, New Jersey Dscn2121
          Tom Schaefer took the gold today with this Voodoo. Fox.36X using pipette bulb for bladder. Awesome flyer and incredible speed
2nd annual Vintage Combat Festival in Fairfield, New Jersey Dscn2122
             Below:       Larry Scarinzi giving some needling advice. Plane is known as the Scrambler and the fellow tuning the needle is the builder designer Frank Imbriaco 1969 NATS winner with this particular plane. Tom Luciano holding and launching. It came out of storage after all these years for this event. Engine was thoroughly looked over and put back together the evening before. All went well
2nd annual Vintage Combat Festival in Fairfield, New Jersey Dscn2210

Last edited by Ken Cook on Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:12 pm; edited 3 times in total
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

2nd annual Vintage Combat Festival in Fairfield, New Jersey Empty Re: 2nd annual Vintage Combat Festival in Fairfield, New Jersey

Post  Cribbs74 Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:59 pm

I'd love to meet Larry, you guys sure are lucky up that way!

I also need to build a Super Satan!

Thanks for the pictures Ken, hope you had a great time.

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

2nd annual Vintage Combat Festival in Fairfield, New Jersey Empty Re: 2nd annual Vintage Combat Festival in Fairfield, New Jersey

Post  Ken Cook Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:06 pm

You really have to meet all of these guys. Larry is very inspirational to all of the guys there and also to myself. I brought my Jr Satan which wrecked due to a line break. That was heartbreaking. It really was a pretty plane. The Medallion .15 was dialed in just right and was cooking along nicely when the up line broke and it went straight in and hard. It happens and it's part of the hobby. Larry had to throw some digs in there which got me smiling. I did enjoy myself and my son Shawn and several others flew some spectacular combat matches. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:12 pm

Great stuff. Thanks for the report Ken.
Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down