Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Valentine Cox Engines (How and why a collection grows!) Cox_ba12

Valentine Cox Engines (How and why a collection grows!) Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Fox .35 Modifications
by Onelife Today at 6:47 pm

» Happy Anzac Day!
by 706jim Today at 6:44 pm

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by MauricioB Today at 4:08 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 3:56 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by rsv1cox Today at 7:17 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Today at 6:20 am

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by Levent Suberk Today at 12:23 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Yesterday at 10:25 pm

» Micro Draco Gets to Fly on a Beautiful Morning.
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:15 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:06 pm

» Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 5:12 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Yesterday at 3:39 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Valentine Cox Engines (How and why a collection grows!) Empty
Live on Patrol

Valentine Cox Engines (How and why a collection grows!)

Go down

Valentine Cox Engines (How and why a collection grows!) Empty Valentine Cox Engines (How and why a collection grows!)

Post  ian1954 Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:12 pm

For the most part, I have been posting pictures of engines other than those made by Cox.

Why? I have been giving priority to the "Cox Engine of The Month" competition but I have not only noticed, but remarked upon. the standard of the competition now exceeds my photographic skills. I am a "snapper" and not a photographer and I end up with photographs and not portraits. I really do admire the recent portraits and the fact that there are now more potential entries. They are also attracting more votes!

Any way, as usual, I digress. So I will make a start by a posting of modified engines using Cox parts and not assembled by Cox. Perhaps this is the wrong place to post this?

I like the Cox RR1 with the rear rotary valve. The sculpturing of the tank and the crankcase, the combination of blue and silver or blue and gold made it a little gem of an engine. The reason documented of discontinuing was that the rear valve made little difference to the performance of the engine. Cox was a high volume low margin production machine so I suspect that this was the main reason for discontinuing and the reversion to reeds.

I think that this was a pity as a rear rotary valve (disc or drum) allows for another element in performance tuning.

Here is a reincarnation of the rear rotary valve.

Valentine Cox Engines (How and why a collection grows!) Rv_bee10

and the valve

Valentine Cox Engines (How and why a collection grows!) Rv_cox10

Then collectamania sets in. Rather than mass production - each engine becomes an individual - colours, NVAs, cylinders, spinners .........

Valentine Cox Engines (How and why a collection grows!) Rv_cox11

Not that I dislike reedies

Valentine Cox Engines (How and why a collection grows!) Rv_bee11

Valentine Cox Engines (How and why a collection grows!) Rv_cox12

Slowly the collection increases

Valentine Cox Engines (How and why a collection grows!) Rv_cox13

Then a couple of Pee Wees

Valentine Cox Engines (How and why a collection grows!) Rv_pee10

Valentine Cox Engines (How and why a collection grows!) Rv_bee12

Then there is the ubiquitous TD 049. This time dieselised (not that I am biased towards small diesel engines!)

Valentine Cox Engines (How and why a collection grows!) Rv_cox14

but then there is schneurle ported version

Valentine Cox Engines (How and why a collection grows!) Rv_cox15

Valentine Cox Engines (How and why a collection grows!) Rv_cox16

and

Valentine Cox Engines (How and why a collection grows!) Rv_cox17

so another collection starts

Valentine Cox Engines (How and why a collection grows!) Rv_cox18

and one increases

Valentine Cox Engines (How and why a collection grows!) Rv_td_10

The manufacture goes back in time rescuing classics

Valentine Cox Engines (How and why a collection grows!) Rv_cox19

Valentine Cox Engines (How and why a collection grows!) Rv_hop10

That leads to a collection of 26 unique engines.

Valentine Cox Engines (How and why a collection grows!) Rv_hop11

There are 29 but three have been seconded to other duties running and testing. I have RC'd one of the Space Hoppers.

Still work in progress!

I like unique engines. The Space Hopper is my favourite Cox engine, I like the beam mount and the looks of it. The forerunner to the front rotary TD - A pity this wasn't rear rotary.

Valentine Cox Engines (How and why a collection grows!) Space_10
ian1954
ian1954
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Valentine Cox Engines (How and why a collection grows!) Empty Re: Valentine Cox Engines (How and why a collection grows!)

Post  roddie Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:37 pm

Extraordinary Ian! A question on the first pic (RRV) engine. Was a new crank made.. or is that a stock-Cox unit?
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Valentine Cox Engines (How and why a collection grows!) Empty Re: Valentine Cox Engines (How and why a collection grows!)

Post  Surfer_kris Sat Jan 10, 2015 3:14 pm

roddie wrote:Extraordinary Ian! A question on the first pic (RRV) engine. Was a new crank made.. or is that a stock-Cox unit?

The stock crank is used but the conrod is thinned at the "big end" to make room for the disc-valve to hook onto the crank pin as well.
Surfer_kris
Surfer_kris
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ian1954 Sat Jan 10, 2015 3:19 pm

roddie wrote:Extraordinary Ian! A question on the first pic (RRV) engine. Was a new crank made.. or is that a stock-Cox unit?

The one I disassembled was original but the con rod had been machined so that the pin extended through it. This was also rounded so that it became slightly ball ended. I have only run one of them and it isn't pictured here. It held a steady 18k with very little variation after about a 15 min running in time and a standard head. That was with 20 % nitro and one extra head gasket.

The disk is fragile but work hardened after about 3/4 hours testing. I was a little concerned to push it too far but I loaned it to a pal of mine. He used a Glo Bee head  and 25% nitro and took 20k. He returned it and I took it apart to clean it and make some new discs for it so that I could play with the timing.

It is still disassembled but I have made discs for it from a variety of materials. Another of my projects!
ian1954
ian1954
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:03 pm

....i think i need a cigarette!
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/049Collectors/

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:58 am

I need something stronger...
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:32 am

It literally KILLS ME to see your collection of tiny Glow-Engines.. knowing the recent ban on the possession of Nitro-methane in your area. Have you ever considered relocating to the USA when you retire? We'd love to have you over here!! Smile
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:36 am

Just in case you relocate and want another COX collector near you, Hungary is even nearer to the UK than the US...although nitro is not available here either... DAMMIT!
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  ian1954 Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:05 am

I have been to Budapest quite a few times but only when it was very cold, snowy and icy. I stayed at a hotel in Pest and then walked to the office over the Margeret Bridge. There were blocks of ice floating in the Danube.

Everyone there was very friendly and accommodating but I was always there to work and never got to look around the City.

The USA - I have been to New York many times, Boston (only the Airport) travelled from there to Portsmouth New England, Chicago many times, Palo Alto, San Jose, San Francisco, Houston and Austin Texas. Always work related! I remember arriving in downtown Houston on a Sunday and all the bars around the hotel were closed. I took a taxi (cab) and asked him to take me to a bar that was open. He dropped me by a strange looking door and in I went. I asked for a pint of their very best beer.

I was served with "London Pride" - I had flown 5,000 miles to drink a beer brewed 1 mile from my home!

Anyway, I have applied for a license to keep nitromethane but this will be a process that takes a while. I think the license, if successful, costs £39.95 and is valid for three years.
ian1954
ian1954
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Surfer_kris Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:34 am

Is nitro banned in England now?

Here they have only stopped regular people from owning and storing pure nitro at home. Ready made/blended fuel with less than 30% nitro is still fine.

For model-clubs and people that are active competitions it is not a problem, but they have to apply for a permit.

Ether is banned too, but it is still okay to buy ready-made fuel for diesel engines.
Surfer_kris
Surfer_kris
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:09 am

ian1954 wrote:I have been to Budapest quite a few times but only when it was very cold, snowy and icy. I stayed at a hotel in Pest and then walked to the office over the Margeret Bridge. There were blocks of ice floating in the Danube.

Everyone there was very friendly and accommodating but I was always there to work and never got to look around the City.

My former office was just next to the Buda side of the Margaret Bridge so - depending on when you visited here - I may have been one of the friendly and accommodating individuals you bumped into... Very Happy (And winters are not so cold here anymore..I measured a crazy +17C last Saturday - only a week after minus 15C temperatures - when I was out, flying my planes in the field)

Nitro is not banned here per se, and it was available, just like pre-blended FAI fuel (castor-based) until about 2 years ago when the taxes newly levied on various chemicals including nitro and glow fuel discouraged retailers to sell it...
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  ian1954 Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:53 pm

Surfer_kris wrote:Is nitro banned in England now?

Here they have only stopped regular people from owning and storing pure nitro at home. Ready made/blended fuel with less than 30% nitro is still fine.

For model-clubs and people that are active competitions it is not a problem, but they have to apply for a permit.

Ether is banned too, but it is still okay to buy ready-made fuel for diesel engines.

It is the same rule for Nitro here now. The problem I have is that I like to mix my own fuels in small batches and so I have always stocked 100% Nitro and my stocks become "illegal" in March. 30% Nitro fuels here are not available with castor oil and are pre mixed for road buggies and helicopters. I believe I will be able to get a license to keep and replenish my stocks.

Ether is still available but only from fuel suppliers - not so much of a problem as good diesel castor mixes are still available but some I like to "thin" a little with ether and sometimes I forget to replace the cap letting some ether evaporate. In cold weather I find a few drops in prime help a stubborn glow to start.

ian1954
ian1954
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ian1954 Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:09 pm

balogh wrote:
ian1954 wrote:I have been to Budapest quite a few times but only when it was very cold, snowy and icy. I stayed at a hotel in Pest and then walked to the office over the Margeret Bridge. There were blocks of ice floating in the Danube.

My former office was just next to the Buda side of the Margaret Bridge so - depending on when you visited here - I may have been one of the friendly and accommodating individuals you bumped into... Very Happy (And winters are not so cold here anymore..I measured a crazy +17C last Saturday - only a week after minus 15C temperatures - when I was out, flying my planes in the field)

Nitro is not banned here per se, and it was available, just like pre-blended FAI fuel (castor-based) until about 2 years ago when the taxes newly levied on various chemicals including nitro and glow fuel discouraged retailers to sell it...

The office I visited regularly was on Feketa Sas u. I was last there four years ago.
ian1954
ian1954
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  dinsdale Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:33 pm

Sorry to sway the topic a little, but Ian (or anyone else for that matter), are those lovely alluminium back plates/engine mounts commonly available anywhere? I mean for just a standard reedie, not a disc/drum valve. They look really nice!
dinsdale
dinsdale
Account Deactivated by Owner

Back to top Go down

Post  ian1954 Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:40 am

dinsdale wrote:Sorry to sway the topic a little, but Ian (or anyone else for that matter), are those lovely alluminium back plates/engine mounts commonly available anywhere?  I mean for just a standard reedie, not a disc/drum valve.  They look really nice!

I am not aware of any the mount and the reed assembly form a complete unit and needs to be a little more robust than the disc valve mounts.

Valentine Cox Engines (How and why a collection grows!) Rv_cox12

ian1954
ian1954
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down