Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

How's the weather? - Page 19 Cox_ba12

How's the weather? - Page 19 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Older ignition books
by lla Today at 4:17 pm

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Onelife Today at 3:54 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 3:33 pm

» *Cox Engine of The Month* Submit your pictures! -May 2024-
by getback Today at 10:23 am

» S1 Ringmaster
by Onelife Today at 8:40 am

» Speed plane - Crispy but not too crispy
by rsv1cox Today at 7:54 am

» O&R 23 & Brown Jr
by getback Today at 7:47 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by MauricioB Today at 2:31 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 4:16 pm

» Hemostat clamp/smooth-jaws
by roddie Yesterday at 3:48 pm

» Black Widow Run time
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 3:44 pm

» 1:64 scale Diecast (Hot Wheels)
by roddie Yesterday at 3:33 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

How's the weather? - Page 19 Empty
Live on Patrol

How's the weather?

Page 19 of 41 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 30 ... 41  Next

Go down

How's the weather? - Page 19 Empty Re: How's the weather?

Post  GallopingGhostler Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:25 am

Rod, yes, those fires even though they inflame our already opinionated press were as you say not only tragically deadly to those who lost their lives and those who lost their health not to mention also livelihood and habitation, but destroyed the lives of the animals they claimed to have conserved through their extreme conservation methods.

For many years, the environmentalists within our US and state governments opposed controlled burns and thinning of forests by logging companies. I was amazed to hear from one of the conservative news sites (the ones you don't hear of much because there is a campaign afoot to suppress these), that the owners and those who used these lands were not allowed to remove the underbrush and accumulated dead leaves, etc. Australia is similar to our US Southwest with limited rainfall in parts. The dead branches and leaves do not have a mechanism to compost.

Nature had a way of taking care of this underbrush and dead leaves by lightning strikes burning away the vegetation. Trees could survive that if the accumulation wasn't deep. Instead, the huge bonfires took down those trees as well.

It is interesting how man's failures through of all things, the wrong people in government and education created further problems instead of solving them. The very animals and vegetation they were purported to have spared are the very ones that were destroyed as a result. Just like here in New Mexico, it will take hundreds of years for the forests to return.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:41 am

rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:53 am

Oldenginerod wrote:Our U.S. friends have been very supportive and generous to we Aussies in the wake of our disasterous bushfires.  That's fantastic, but be careful what you believe.  It sounds like the media over there has got hold of the stories and then exaggerated them by 400%.  Celebrities were Tweeting "photos taken from space" which showed the majority of Australian landmass in flames.  The originator of the picture had to step in and announce that it wasn't a photo after all, but an artist's impression based on several overlayed photos of many weeks of fire (and high temperature) activity.  What appeared as a fire could have been in fact an iron roof reflecting the sun, or a hot rock in the desert.
Never let the truth get in the way of a good story.  Many are using the misinformation to fuel their protests about climate change and against our current conservative government.  Cold comfort for the hundreds of folk who've lost all their worldly possessions, or particularly those who've lost loved ones.

Having said that, the sad reality is that millions of critters have been lost, not the least our Koala population which, if they survived the fires (and many thousands didn't) they now have very limited habitat to return to.  If you want to help, find a good Koala conservation charity and give them a hand.

Today we are all Australians Rod.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v22SPtCFck8
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:06 am

you tube always offers up something...for some reason Bob's link gave me this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RST-R5A1jZ4

a good hour of fun.....trust me
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:00 pm

GallopingGhostler wrote:Rod, yes, those fires even though they inflame our already opinionated press were as you say not only tragically deadly to those who lost their lives and those who lost their health not to mention also livelihood and habitation, but destroyed the lives of the animals they claimed to have conserved through their extreme conservation methods.

For many years, the environmentalists within our US and state governments opposed controlled burns and thinning of forests by logging companies. I was amazed to hear from one of the conservative news sites (the ones you don't hear of much because there is a campaign afoot to suppress these), that the owners and those who used these lands were not allowed to remove the underbrush and accumulated dead leaves, etc. Australia is similar to our US Southwest with limited rainfall in parts. The dead branches and leaves do not have a mechanism to compost.

Nature had a way of taking care of this underbrush and dead leaves by lightning strikes burning away the vegetation. Trees could survive that if the accumulation wasn't deep. Instead, the huge bonfires took down those trees as well.

It is interesting how man's failures through of all things, the wrong people in government and education created further problems instead of solving them. The very animals and vegetation they were purported to have spared are the very ones that were destroyed as a result. Just like here in New Mexico, it will take hundreds of years for the forests to return.
You hit the nail on the head George.  For tens of thousands of years the Aborigines used fire to care for the land.  Nature (through lightning) used fire to care for the land.  Now, we who supposedly know better want to live in the bush to satisfy our "lifestyle" dreams.  In the past, the bush burned and we stood and watched from a distance.  Now we need to try to stop it burning because we're in the way.
I am amused by the current news reports about the smoke.  We're currently in very calm weather so the smoke is lingering.  It's bad enough that it's stopped my wife cycling and exercising outdoors, so it must be bad.  Laughing
All these so-called experts are now saying we need to do a study on the health effects of "bushfire smoke".  As far as I know, for millennia every culture in the world have beed burning wood gathered from the bush to keep them warm and cook their food etc.  What's different about this smoke?  Why suddenly is "bushfire smoke" any different to the smoke that campfires and log fires have been making for ever??  Get over it people!  We're mortal.  Somethin's gonna get us.  Life causes death.  The consequences are well documented in a certain ancient book Pray
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:01 pm

Goodness! Am I starting to get controvercial? Shocked
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:35 pm

Oldenginerod wrote:Goodness! Am I starting to get controvercial? Shocked

Starting??????????  Smile

Humans be darned! My concern is for the wildlife, they have nowhere to run.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:41 pm

Oldenginerod wrote:We're currently in very calm weather so the smoke is lingering. It's bad enough that it's stopped my wife cycling and exercising outdoors, so it must be bad. Laughing
I don't know what's worse. When we lived in Long Beach, California (Los Angeles area), we'd wake up in the morning listening to the birds coughing. lol!

Yup, I know what you mean, Rod. I Agree With Above
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:34 am

I set out to the field Saturday morning. I arrived and the winds were probably blowing a steady 15 mph with gusts above. The temp was about 30 feeling much colder. I put up one flight and that was enough as the plane was getting hit with some pretty ferocious side gusts. Knowing it was windy, I brought some .15 size stuff that flies fast. It really wasn't enjoyable to fly due to the cold. In reality, we've been fortunate as we haven't encountered any real snow accumulation. The weather has been rather mild offering almost a additional month worth of flying. I suppose I don't want to accept the fact that winter is here.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:46 am

Ken Cook wrote:           I set out to the field Saturday morning. I arrived and the winds were probably blowing a steady 15 mph with gusts above. The temp was about 30 feeling much colder. I put up one flight and that was enough as the plane was getting hit with some pretty ferocious side gusts. Knowing it was windy, I brought some .15 size stuff that flies fast. It really wasn't enjoyable to fly due to the cold. In reality, we've been fortunate as we haven't encountered any real snow accumulation.  The weather has been rather mild offering almost a additional month worth of flying. I suppose I don't want to accept the fact that winter is here.

What a novel idea Ken- Talking about the weather in a weather based thread. Huh...

To add to my previous posts regarding fires, I'd like to update that we've (Melbourne) just had 42mm of rain in the past 12 hours.  That's 1 3/4" in your money.  A lot of it made it to the main Victorian fireground.  While welcome, it has also created some hazards.  Due to parts of the country now being completely devoid of vegetation there have been a number of landslides due to the rain.  Some people just can't win. Sad
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:58 am

Oldenginerod wrote:

What a novel idea Ken- Talking about the weather in a weather based thread. Huh...

Rod,

this detour from the core topic here was provoked by unfair attacks by someone against your compatriots, and seeing how few are sensitive here to such an issue, by now I am sorry to have taken up the discussion on that at all.

Weather here in Central Europe is foggy and wet, by no means proper for flying planes. Instead,I am making a lot of noise and nitro smoke in my garage when testing Kamtechnik turbo heads on COX TD050 RC engines that, due to the non-SPI design, lose some power vs the 049/051 TD-s, and I hope the turbo head gives back a little bit of that loss.
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:08 am

here is my weather How's the weather? - Page 19 Screen42 Smoking Smoking Train Train
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:55 am

Thankfully, a return to normalcy. Thanks Ken for breaking the chain.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:08 am

Well. I got myself a cool 20° F with clouds here on my hill in S.E Missouri!

Not griping though...so far this year, I've been spared any assault by ice and snow like my buds just up the road to the north.

Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:45 pm

Oldenginerod wrote:
Ken Cook wrote:I arrived and the winds were probably blowing a steady 15 mph with gusts above. The temp was about 30 feeling much colder. I put up one flight and that was enough as the plane was getting hit with some pretty ferocious side gusts.... The weather has been rather mild offering almost a additional month worth of flying....

And not just weather, but small engine model plane content as well! Laughing I Love This Forum!

Oldenginerod wrote:To add to my previous posts regarding fires, I'd like to update that we've (Melbourne) just had 42mm of rain in the past 12 hours. That's 1 3/4" in your money. A lot of it made it to the main Victorian fireground. While welcome, it has also created some hazards. Due to parts of the country now being completely devoid of vegetation there have been a number of landslides due to the rain. Some people just can't win. Sad

I'm sorry to hear that, Rod. Australia has certainly had its misfortunes with fire. They are not alone, California, New Mexico and Arizona have had their share of fires, too. Last Spring the Santa Fe Railroad had a train blown off a long trestle bridge north of us in Logan NM, uprooted a number of trees and damaged roofs here in Clovis. We had gale force winds then.

GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  TLAnderson Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:11 pm

Been snowing a lot here. I'm starting to feel like this guy. (Finnish soldier, photo taken during Talvisota, The Winter War)

How's the weather? - Page 19 Finlan10
TLAnderson
TLAnderson
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ticomareado Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:27 pm

Poor fellow in the snow trench. He's probably rolling over in his grave right now wondering if it was all worth it as he sees Finland's current trajectory.

https://vdare.com/articles/msm-fixates-on-finland-s-woke-millennial-gynocracy-but-nationalist-right-emerging-across-scandinavia
ticomareado
ticomareado
Account Under Review

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave P. Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:09 pm

Gynocracy.  Now there's a word that caught my attention.  I had to look that one up.  Yeah, it meant what I thought it did. Then I read the attachment.  What I read there pretty much put the preceding posts in perspective. But it doesn't excuse anything that was said.

It's getting cold (for us) around here. Windy too.  I'm looking forward to spring.  I used to look forward to snow back when I was a ski bum paying for my season pass by working as a lift rat at Waterville Valley, not so much anymore.  My toes still go numb any colder than around 40F.

I'm also watching what's happening Down Under.  Happy for the rain, but not so much about the side effects.

Boy I hope you guys get a break soon.
Dave P.
Dave P.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

How's the weather? - Page 19 Empty gynocracy—a majority woman cabinet

Post  fredvon4 Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:20 am

article is actually a good read.....
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  ticomareado Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:48 am

Don't tell it Kari and Balogh
ticomareado
ticomareado
Account Under Review

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:47 am

From wikipedia:
VDARE is an American website focusing on opposition to immigration to the United States and is associated with white supremacy,[2][3] white nationalism,[4][5][6] and the alt-right.[7][8][9] Anti-Immigration in the United States: A Historical Encyclopedia describes VDARE as "one of the most prolific anti-immigration media outlets in the United States" and states that it is "broadly concerned with race issues in the United States".[10] Established in 1999, the website's editor is Peter Brimelow, who believes that "whites built American culture" and that "it is at risk from non-whites who would seek to change it".[10]

Y’all can decide what you believe and what you don’t. Be a well informed citizen or a bitter old hillbilly engulfed in hate web sites like vdare, your choice.

If being friendly on this “most friendly forum in the web” means I should just approve posts like tico’s, well, maybe I am just not that friendly then. The silence around the matter I consider silent (duh) approval, and I am disappointed.

Gynocracy, or gynecocracy definitely beats dollarocracy and greedocracy. My country is not perfect, and I disagree with my Government in some matters. Mrs Marin, the Prime Minister is a young woman, grew up rather poor, her father is an alcoholic and her mom divorced and lives with another woman. So what? Our President is a former small-town lawyer, also with working class roots. The beauty of Finland is that it is a true democracy, even a poor kid can get university education and become whatever he/she wants if he/she works hard and has the talent. Money is not in the equation.

Racism is trying to rise its ugly head even here in Finland, we also have some BS web sites that try to spread that [bleep] (can I say ”[bleep]” on this friendly forum? Racism and hate site links are approved, it seems, but how about naughty words?). The rhetorics on the ”good read” site remind me of the rhetorics of the funny little Austrian fellow that nobody took seriously until it was too late. Let us not let things get that bad anymore.

I will now retire from this conversation. Thank you and my apologies. I will wait and see if/how the folks I consider my friends are going to react and draw my conclusions based on them.

In the meanwhile, ”Je suis Elwood”

Oh, the weather. Well who the bleep gives a bleeping bleep about the weather, bleepitybleep.
KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ticomareado Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:32 am

Well here's another breaking story about Gynocracies gone bad. This one from CNN. (about as racist as the come)

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/norways-coalition-collapses-over-isis-repatriation/ar-BBZ9mtz?li=BBnb7Kz
ticomareado
ticomareado
Account Under Review

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:21 pm

Central Texas has been rollercoaster weather the last few months...80 to 20 .....sixty degree F shifts from one week to the next....

fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Diedrichs Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:28 pm

That's more like it, get'in back to C.E.F. Feng Shui !!! Peace Bros. Mark
Mark Diedrichs
Mark Diedrichs
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:50 pm

Cloudy with a chance of meatballs here Mark and Fred. Smile

Actually, although I hate to mention it (knock on wood), Winter has been quite mild here so far.

Days getting longer.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 19 of 41 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 30 ... 41  Next