Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Mccoy .35 purple head Cox_ba12

Mccoy .35 purple head Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Happy Anzac Day!
by Oldenginerod Today at 5:07 pm

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Onelife Today at 4:34 pm

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by MauricioB Today at 4:08 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 3:56 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by rsv1cox Today at 7:17 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Today at 6:20 am

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by Levent Suberk Today at 12:23 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Yesterday at 10:25 pm

» Micro Draco Gets to Fly on a Beautiful Morning.
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:15 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:06 pm

» Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 5:12 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Yesterday at 3:39 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Mccoy .35 purple head Empty
Live on Patrol

Mccoy .35 purple head

Go down

Help! Mccoy .35 purple head

Post  jsesere Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:56 pm

Has anyone seen one like this before? Repainted?
Joe
Mccoy .35 purple head Hj10
jsesere
jsesere
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Help! Re: Mccoy .35 purple head

Post  GallopingGhostler Sat Jul 02, 2016 6:14 pm

May have existed, I dunno, but never heard or seen a purple head Testors McCoy. It looks like a standard run of the mill McCoy Red Head of I believe the 1950's into 1960's. My guess is either painted or badly faded. Nice thing about the McCoys is that after stripping, one can paint any color they desire. I left mine in plain aluminum finish, which garnered shrieks from various members of the CL community. "Jest ain't right!" So, I bought some Duplicolor engine red. When motivated, I'll repaint. If one has it mounted on a twin, say F-82 Twin Mustang, OV-10 Bronco, DC-3, etc, could paint the head to match the other engine if not a McCoy Red Head. Fox, leave aluminum, K&B Torpedo Green Head, paint green.
I guess it depends how purist and historic one wants to be. Canada Day Flag
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Sun Jul 03, 2016 3:10 am

I've always thought that a painted head had the potential to make the engine run hotter. I would think the paint would act as an insulator. Anodizing would be a far more practical option, but then again, probably far more expensive to produce. These McCoys were only ever a "Bargain Basement" type engine, so the red paint would have been a cheaper option to dress up an otherwise boring engine.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:12 am

Yes, paint does act as insulation. In some climates that may actually be beneficial, not sure what was/is the main market area for McCoys though.

KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:37 am

Main market was control line and free flight. Testors in the 1960's came out with an R/C version, too, those had light blue heads. If not well cared for with generous oil content and running on the rich side, the softer iron piston would wear out quickly, or life would shorten dramatically. Running mufflers IMO would shorten their life. Today, most are used in control line either without mufflers or a less restrictive tongue muffler.

I did an improvement to one of my .35 Red Heads. I found an Evolution .46 Remote Needle Valve assembly fit the back perfectly, provides decent mixture adjustments.

Mccoy .35 purple head Evo46_10

Red Head with paint removed:

Mccoy .35 purple head Mccoy_10

Front and back of .35 Red Head with Evolution NVA mounted:

Mccoy .35 purple head Mccoy310

Mccoy .35 purple head Mccoy311

Perhaps the worst muffler was the Tatone Calumet muffler. It did quiet, but was very restrictive in back pressure, caused engines to run hot, am told many a modeler destroyed engines using this muffler. I removed the internal baffles with a Dremel style tool on mine. I run the Red Heads mufflerless. I have yet to fly an engine with the Calumet, where I am mufflerless is permissible and engines run better without mufflers.

Mccoy .35 purple head Enya_110

Mccoy .35 purple head Tatone10

Also, there was a period in the Testors Corporation history where there were many quality control issues, where piston fit was sloppy. Some engines came off the assembly line with low compression. Some I am told due to their low cost in US, would purchase a half dozen or more, mix and match parts for better fit, then fly with those. Control line combat didn't have to worry as much about life as one good solid smack of the tarmac would destroy the engine anyway.

AFAIK, the later Testors R/C engines prior to the Series 21 black heads, some had chromed pistons. Chroming the piston would overcome the softer iron and I would think one had then a decent engine. There were a few in the CL cottage industry who provided chrome plated piston Red Heads. CL fliers claimed that overcame the piston weakness, seemed to have a popular following.

Then there are those who disdain the engines totally. I guess it is a love / hate relationship, similar to the imported to US Yugo automobile of the 1980's. Shocked

I am a Johnny-Come-Lately when it comes to the Red Heads. My first and only prior experience was when I purchased a .19 Red Head in the early 1970's from America's Hobby Center for only $6 US. I mounted it in a 38-in (965-mm) wingspan Sterling F-51 Mustang Profile stunter. It flew very trainer like. Here's a .19 I bought off cheaply off E-Bay for a song, must have been stored in a tool drawer, otherwise un-run and like new.

Mccoy .35 purple head Mccoy_11

I find their engines easy starting and tuning, run quite well actually.
Personally, I like them better than the venerable 3 bolt back cover Fox .35 stunt. United States
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:18 am

The only McCoy I have ran was test stand a .19 Red head and it was a easy starter , no power house but seemed reliable with the run and constant RPMs . I had to go look I have ran a .098 four bolt front and I like that engine enough its thinking about flying lol! A slabby wing thing as Ian would say would get it in the air but built up would look better something old framed to go with the engine it makes a lot of AIR and draws fuel better than most Cox Shocked  United States 4th of July Flag United States
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Sun Jul 03, 2016 2:12 pm

A plane designed for that McCoy .098 (AKA McCoy "9") is Hal DeBolt's 26-in (660-mm) wingspan 1950 All American:

http://www.outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=347

Mccoy .35 purple head 347

If I ever get around to scratch building, my Gilbert .11 Thunderhead, with power similar to the McCoy "9" would be a natural for power.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Sun Jul 03, 2016 3:34 pm

My dad was a poor soldier with kids so usually bought the cheaper McCoy engines and had many in the late 50s early 60s...I never recall a purple head version....but do know he and his friends did often clean and repaint them.. and usually with what ever auto paint they had on hand...dad had a great looking one with John Deere green head

I currently have one of the McCoy rebuild lady's (forget her name...Chellie something) McCoy 35 ---and it is a shelf queen for me cus it is so brand new looking and reminds me of one my dad bought when I was just 4 YO....what a wonderful loud and cool engine for a little tyke like me then

I think I may retire one of my current Ring masters to a ceiling hanger queen and put the Red head on it

In all my reading of the Torps and McCoys with painted heads I do not recall any of the old guys mentioning about them running too hot from the painted heads.....just typical mentions of needing a lot of oil and proper break in
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Mon Jul 04, 2016 8:06 am

GallopingGhostler wrote:A plane designed for that McCoy .098 (AKA McCoy "9") is Hal DeBolt's 26-in (660-mm) wingspan 1950 All American:

http://www.outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=347

If I ever get around to scratch building, my Gilbert .11 Thunderhead, with power similar to the McCoy "9" would be a natural for power.
 Yes that's the one I have had in Q for O say 2 yrs. now Laughing  one of these days United States  Eric
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:17 am

For a 1950 engine, the McCoy "9" is not a bad engine. It is not as powerful as the Enya .09-III, 1966 OS Max .10 and newer, seems to rate similar to the earlier Fuji .099-S, but then those came out 15 years later. Some disdain it with references to more modern Cox Tee Dee .09 and the Schneurles, but again these were later engines, I'd hope that the technology would improve over time. You're right about strong fuel suction, which would work very well in CL and throttle-less RC planes. With power matched to the right airframe, should be a joy to fly.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:59 am

Thanks George for the info. Joe what you going to do with the purple Hd. ? Test run it , fly it or look at it Very Happy
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down