Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

A strange olympic...any idea what it is? Cox_ba12

A strange olympic...any idea what it is? Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Help Pee Wee tank cap .020
by MauricioB Yesterday at 10:11 pm

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by F4D Phantom II Yesterday at 8:33 pm

» Post your Older books
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:51 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:09 pm

» EXTREMELY RARE COX THIMBLE DROME PROTOTYPE "BLACK WIDOW" GAS MODEL AIRPLANE
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 6:58 pm

» I break for Turtles....
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 6:38 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 6:27 pm

» Ball - Socket Joints
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 3:06 pm

» A little nostalgia…
by MauricioB Yesterday at 2:32 pm

» A new useful transport vehicle
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 10:32 am

» TAPLIN TWIN 7ccm
by grant.symes Yesterday at 3:29 am

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 12:09 am

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

A strange olympic...any idea what it is? Empty
Live on Patrol

A strange olympic...any idea what it is?

Go down

A strange olympic...any idea what it is? Empty A strange olympic...any idea what it is?

Post  micro 0951 Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:30 pm

Whilst digging through a box-o-engines at my workplace, i came across an engine. Its an olympic, missing parts and seized up. Whats peculiar about this engine is its rear end. Instead of the red venturi assembly it had some cylinder in its place. Could it be the rare drum valve version of the olympic? Then again, im no cox expert. From what i can find, the prototypes never had metal carb mount, and this piece doesn't even appear to accept any carb at all....

A strange olympic...any idea what it is? Img-2010
The engine.....

A strange olympic...any idea what it is? Img-2011
And whats hiding inside the cylinder.....

It could be a piece of history, it could be a heavily modified engine, i have no clue. Anyone knows what it is?

Tim
micro 0951
micro 0951
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

A strange olympic...any idea what it is? Empty Re: A strange olympic...any idea what it is?

Post  Cribbs74 Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:21 pm

Don't think it's a drum valve. Looks like an attempt at a rear rotory, possibly a homemade conversion. What's the story behind the box of engines?
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

A strange olympic...any idea what it is? Empty Re: A strange olympic...any idea what it is?

Post  Mudhen Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:10 pm

Last edited by Mudhen on Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Mudhen
Mudhen
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:26 pm

That's an interesting one, alright. I hope you'll make a video when you get it running.
Good luck.
Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  micro 0951 Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:47 am

Cribbs74 wrote:What's the story behind the box of engines?

The workshop seems to be filled with engines, most sitting in 'cold storage' mode. I'd say this box was from one of the senior instructors, who decided to store, or possibly donate his engines which "i don't use anymore". There are a couple of drawers with engines that look like they have never been run in years, or run at all! We even found a turbine engine in a shoe box Shocked ....

Mudhen wrote:Does it have a smaller pin machined onto the crankpin to match against the rotor? If so, it’s unlikely to be homemade.
Closer, more detailed pictures would be helpful.

The crankpin does have a smaller pin machined onto it, and it does match against the rotor. The 'bearing tube' in which this rotor sits in is also a separate piece and can be removed from the aluminium end cap. It fits the screw-on back plate perfectly and even has a pressure tap hole(?) on one side. It also has some pattern rolled into it, presumably for a plastic part to fit on it. I didn't take many photos of it's insides but i do have a somewhat close up of the rotor.A strange olympic...any idea what it is? Img-2012

RknRusty wrote:That's an interesting one, alright. I hope you'll make a video when you get it running.
Thanks!, but i doubt this engine will run in its current state. When i found the engine, it had metal filings inside, mostly around the drum valve and its bearing, the drum valve/rotor looked unharmed, but the bearing had filings around intake hole and the rotor had a rather tight fit inside the bearing. I assume during the drilling of the intake on the new end cap the bearing was left inside the end cap, and ended up getting drilled out/bent in the process, which would explain the damage.
micro 0951
micro 0951
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:28 am

Tim Here is a link on that engine from some time back .. Mudhen Knows his stuff on Cox engines !!

https://www.coxengineforum.com/t4131-15-rotary-drum-bill-atwood?highlight=olympic+++15
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  zeissman Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:27 am

micro 0951 wrote:Whilst digging through a box-o-engines at my workplace, i came across an engine. Its an olympic, missing parts and seized up. Whats peculiar about this engine is its rear end. Instead of the red venturi assembly it had some cylinder in its place. Could it be the rare drum valve version of the olympic?

Hey Tim,

Everything other than the Rear Carb Body looks to be a genuine Olympic Prototype, type B. It looks to me like someone broke the fragile carb body on their engine and tried to make a replacement from aluminum.

I noticed that you said that you were digging through this box at your workplace. Where do you work and what do you do?

If you haven't already seen the additional information about the Olympic Prototype engines on Martin Hepperle's website, the link is below.

Details about the Olympic Prototypes from Martin Hepperle's Site
zeissman
zeissman
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

http://www.davebarilegalwriting.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down