Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register! Guests are limited to posting in the "General Questions (Guest Posting Allowed)" section only. Becoming a member is fast, easy and FREE!


Log in

I forgot my password

Search
 
 

Display results as :
 


Rechercher Advanced Search

Cox Engine of The Month
November-2018
1/2A Nut's

"Speedy Teedy .020"



PAST WINNERS
Speed Contest 2018
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
The Traveling Prop
Gallery


World of Aviation

Cox TD .020 r/c Achieving your minimum turns!

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Cox TD .020 r/c Achieving your minimum turns!

Post  MauricioB on Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:33 am

We are chatting in the chat, I can not figure out how to upload a photo, so I do it here!

avatar
MauricioB
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Posts : 1791
Join date : 2016-02-17
Age : 47

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Cox TD .020 r/c Achieving your minimum turns!

Post  MauricioB on Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:48 am

This morning I went to fly, these are the measurements. Fireworks
Motor characteristics:
Carter, crankshaft, Carb Body, cone and propeller screw, venturi, needle valve body, Dee Needle & Spring: ExModelEngines http://www.exmodelengines.com
Aluminum plate back: Homemade.
Cylinder and piston; Cox Pee Wee .020
Acceleration ring: Homemade.
Propeller: 4 1/2 x 2 ExModelEngines http://www.exmodelengines.com



avatar
MauricioB
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Posts : 1791
Join date : 2016-02-17
Age : 47

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Cox TD .020 r/c Achieving your minimum turns!

Post  MauricioB on Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:57 am

Also put a three-bladed Cox, I like how it goes! Small Cox Logo Very Happy

avatar
MauricioB
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Posts : 1791
Join date : 2016-02-17
Age : 47

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Cox TD .020 r/c Achieving your minimum turns!

Post  1/2A Nut on Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:51 pm

Here is what mine can do:




AmpAbuser
Published on Jan 6, 2018

Cox TD .020 RC idle test 4.5D x 2P / 6,944 rpm
Pee Wee throttle sleeve.


Also for fun tested the TD .010 with all carbon 3x3
Makes enough static thrust for unlimited vertical with the 2.2oz NANO II



AmpAbuser
Uploaded on Jan 6, 2018

TD .010 RC / Carbon 3x3 / Best peak 26,976 rpm / 77 mph static
2.7 oz thrust / .037hp / 28w
avatar
1/2A Nut
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Posts : 1989
Join date : 2013-10-20
Age : 55
Location : Brad in Texas

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Cox TD .020 r/c Achieving your minimum turns!

Post  MauricioB on Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:56 am

Thanks Brad for sharing your experience !.
To my liking the speed ring works very well, it is safe and it reduces notoriously the turns of the engine so that you can enjoy a totally controlled flight.
I do not know how the carburetor works, but to my liking, the rim is enough, once the rim and cylinder adjustment ratio has been achieved, the engine becomes a delight!
You asked me how much I weighed and how much the model average.
Well it weighs in order of flight 230 grs.
It has a wingspan of 70 cm and a length of 52 cm
This model is "big!" But the engine takes it perfectly, I'm uploading a video so you can appreciate how it works with the three-bladed propeller ...
avatar
MauricioB
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Posts : 1791
Join date : 2016-02-17
Age : 47

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Cox TD .020 r/c Achieving your minimum turns!

Post  1/2A Nut on Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:18 am

8.11oz with a static: 19.3k rpm / 6.7oz thrust / very good jump in performance over
the Pee Wee engine.

Thumbs Up

Airplane
avatar
1/2A Nut
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Posts : 1989
Join date : 2013-10-20
Age : 55
Location : Brad in Texas

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Cox TD .020 r/c Achieving your minimum turns!

Post  1/2A Nut on Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:46 am




I saw your new vid fast with the 3.125D x 2.5P:  

Bravo best rpm over the crops  25,839 rpm / 61 mph / average passes 23.4k / 55 mph potential.
I think when the fuel tank is full you get better pressure / rpm.

Should have really good thrust to pull off the grass with the 2 blade prop. The 3 blade does not make
much thrust around 2.8oz

Small Cox Logo Fireworks Small Cox Logo
avatar
1/2A Nut
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Posts : 1989
Join date : 2013-10-20
Age : 55
Location : Brad in Texas

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Cox TD .020 r/c Achieving your minimum turns!

Post  MauricioB on Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:20 am

1/2A Nut wrote:
I saw your new vid fast with the 3.125D x 2.5P:  

Bravo best rpm over the crops  25,839 rpm / 61 mph / average passes 23.4k / 55 mph potential.
I think when the fuel tank is full you get better pressure / rpm.

Should have really good thrust to pull off the grass with the 2 blade prop. The 3 blade does not make
much thrust around 2.8oz

Small Cox Logo Fireworks Small Cox Logo

Hello friend! Thanks for placing the video! Very Happy .... thanks for the information you indicate.
I really like how the engine works, it is very stable and responds without errors !! Thumbs Up Flying Beer Cheers
avatar
MauricioB
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Posts : 1791
Join date : 2016-02-17
Age : 47

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Cox TD .020 r/c Achieving your minimum turns!

Post  MauricioB on Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:52 pm

Brad, here you have it with Cox's 4 1/2 x 2 shovel, taking off from the ground.
I hope you like the video! RC Plane  Very Happy



Last edited by MauricioB on Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:42 am; edited 1 time in total
avatar
MauricioB
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Posts : 1791
Join date : 2016-02-17
Age : 47

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Cox TD .020 r/c Achieving your minimum turns!

Post  roddie on Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:40 pm

Nice flight Mauricio! Great work on the throttle-ring! The engine responds wonderfully! Plenty of power with that propeller. Thumbs Up
avatar
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Posts : 6111
Join date : 2013-07-17
Age : 58
Location : N. Smithfield, Rhode Island

View user profile http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Cox TD .020 r/c Achieving your minimum turns!

Post  Jason_WI on Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:17 pm

Here is a metal tank conversion kit for the TD .020. Not sure who made it but it is a simple design. The pressure on the firewall when screwed tight holds the backplate to the tank tight.





avatar
Jason_WI
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

I Support My Forum

Posts : 2347
Join date : 2011-10-10
Age : 43
Location : Neenah, WI

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Cox TD .020 r/c Achieving your minimum turns!

Post  1/2A Nut on Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:42 am

Best peak hit 22k when the tank was full the best pass down wind 20,671 as it was diving
Most level passes where under 20k around 19.4 to 19.8k. I think the engine cools and goes
a bit rich after it has flown a bit. 4.5D x 2P  gave plenty of thrust to pull off the grass well done!

Average speeds 36 to 38 mph, I did not see you zoom up to a vertical climb but two passes
did pull up to a rudder turn, will it loop well with that prop? Perhaps the Cox 4x2.5 prop would
be a good mix of thrust and speed. I have had very great flights with that prop.

Thank you for sharing you have good weather and very nice grass field!!!!
Small Cox Logo RC Plane Small Cox Logo
avatar
1/2A Nut
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Posts : 1989
Join date : 2013-10-20
Age : 55
Location : Brad in Texas

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Cox TD .020 r/c Achieving your minimum turns!

Post  MauricioB on Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:22 am

Jason_WI wrote:Here is a metal tank conversion kit for the TD .020. Not sure who made it but it is a simple design. The pressure on the firewall when screwed tight holds the backplate to the tank tight.






thanks for this material friend, it is very interesting, I think that in this video you can see the tank that you share here:
Is it like this or not?

avatar
MauricioB
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Posts : 1791
Join date : 2016-02-17
Age : 47

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Cox TD .020 r/c Achieving your minimum turns!

Post  MauricioB on Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:26 am

1/2A Nut wrote:Best peak hit 22k when the tank was full the best pass down wind 20,671 as it was diving
Most level passes where under 20k around 19.4 to 19.8k. I think the engine cools and goes
a bit rich after it has flown a bit. 4.5D x 2P  gave plenty of thrust to pull off the grass well done!

Average speeds 36 to 38 mph, I did not see you zoom up to a vertical climb but two passes
did pull up to a rudder turn, will it loop well with that prop? Perhaps the Cox 4x2.5 prop would
be a good mix of thrust and speed. I have had very great flights with that prop.

Thank you for sharing you have good weather and very nice grass field!!!!
Small Cox Logo RC Plane Small Cox Logo

Thanks for that information!
Brad honestly, if you ever want to come, just tell me with time and you can enjoy a few days here .... it would be a pleasure to fly in our club! ... the t-shirt - chomba - t-shirt you already have it Beer Cheers cheers sunny
avatar
MauricioB
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Posts : 1791
Join date : 2016-02-17
Age : 47

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Cox TD .020 r/c Achieving your minimum turns!

Post  1/2A Nut on Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:26 am

Beer Cheers
Thank you, I am happy to see your able to go flying as it has been rough weather here.

Next Saturday I checked the weather forecast 63F sunny skies and 7 mph winds as of right now,
so perhaps next weekend I can maiden the new NANO III. I have everything charged up just in
case I could fly this weekend but too windy gusts to 30 mph and steady 18 to 20 mph. I need
10 mph or less as out in the big open field it is always higher winds. I need a good bit of room
in order to fly fast. At 140 mph I am covering 205 feet per second, even a big field gets small fast.

sunny RC Plane sunny
avatar
1/2A Nut
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Posts : 1989
Join date : 2013-10-20
Age : 55
Location : Brad in Texas

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Cox TD .020 r/c Achieving your minimum turns!

Post  MauricioB on Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:28 am

1/2A Nut wrote:Beer Cheers
Thank you, I am happy to see your able to go flying as it has been rough weather here.

Next Saturday I checked the weather forecast 63F sunny skies and 7 mph winds as of right now,
so perhaps next weekend I can maiden the new NANO III. I have everything charged up just in
case I could fly this weekend but too windy gusts to 30 mph and steady 18 to 20 mph. I need
10 mph or less as out in the big open field it is always higher winds. I need a good bit of room
in order to fly fast. At 140 mph I am covering 205 feet per second, even a big field gets small fast.

sunny RC Plane sunny

I follow the news of the weather in the USA and I see that they have many temperature peaks ... here the temperature is about 30 degrees and about 19 km / h of wind, you can say nice!
avatar
MauricioB
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Posts : 1791
Join date : 2016-02-17
Age : 47

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Cox TD .020 r/c Achieving your minimum turns!

Post  MauricioB on Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:33 am

you know friend, I still do not have news of your shipment ... (I mean your crankshaft shipment)
could you verify the address, if you send me by MP I can corroborate it ... I do not know what can happen?! ... sure and as always is our problem .... GRRRRR!Devil
avatar
MauricioB
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Posts : 1791
Join date : 2016-02-17
Age : 47

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Cox TD .020 r/c Achieving your minimum turns!

Post  1/2A Nut on Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:25 am

I sent you a photo of the USPS customs declaration / tracking shipping it should still be in your message box.
Bummer it never was delivered by your postal company, the address was correct.  Shocked
avatar
1/2A Nut
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Posts : 1989
Join date : 2013-10-20
Age : 55
Location : Brad in Texas

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Cox TD .020 r/c Achieving your minimum turns!

Post  balogh on Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:12 am

MauricioB wrote:Brad, here you have it with Cox's  4 1/2 x 2 shovel, taking off from the ground.
I hope you like the video! RC Plane  Very Happy



Great vid Mauricio....


What kind of head-camera do you use? It has quite good resolution!

(My heart aches when I see the crop-cut smooth lawn you have for take-off field...I wish I had that field near me...I wish I had any field of easy access near me !!!! Our weather here in Hungary - 10+C daytime - would qualify perfect for flying but I simply do not have access to anywhere as of today.  Too bad, because I have at least 5 COX powered R/C planes (020 through 09) waiting for the 2018 flights to begin..)
avatar
balogh
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Posts : 2001
Join date : 2011-11-06
Age : 60
Location : Budapest Hungary

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Cox TD .020 r/c Achieving your minimum turns!

Post  MauricioB on Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:51 am

roddie wrote:Nice flight Mauricio! Great work on the throttle-ring! The engine responds wonderfully! Plenty of power with that propeller. Thumbs Up

thanks Roddie, Yes the ring works perfectly, I am very happy with the result, even every time I give to one of these engines, I can not help but be surprised by the magic that they awaken when they are in operation.
Move the 4 1/2 x 2 very well, it goes over. If I wanted more flight speed, I would have to make a smaller and more aerodynamic model.
A hug for your friend, Mauricio.-
avatar
MauricioB
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Posts : 1791
Join date : 2016-02-17
Age : 47

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Cox TD .020 r/c Achieving your minimum turns!

Post  MauricioB on Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:12 am

1/2A Nut wrote:I sent you a photo of the USPS customs declaration / tracking shipping it should still be in your message box.
Bummer it never was delivered by your postal company, the address was correct.  Shocked

Perfect, I'll keep waiting for my friend, I would not want it to be there in the customs ... stacked in a warehouse, it would be a pity! ... Sad
avatar
MauricioB
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Posts : 1791
Join date : 2016-02-17
Age : 47

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Cox TD .020 r/c Achieving your minimum turns!

Post  MauricioB on Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:21 am

balogh wrote:

Great vid Mauricio....

What kind of head-camera do you use? It has quite good resolution!

(My heart aches when I see the crop-cut smooth lawn you have for take-off field...I wish I had that field near me...I wish I had any field of easy access near me !!!! Our weather here in Hungary - 10+C daytime - would qualify perfect for flying but I simply do not have access to anywhere as of today.  Too bad, because I have at least 5 COX powered R/C planes (020 through 09) waiting for the 2018 flights to begin..)

Thanks Andras, here I leave you the specifications of the camera that I use, it is relatically economic, it works acceptably.



Regarding the field of flight, it is about 45 years old, it was passed from one generation to another, maintained and expanded, trees were placed, safety net and it was landscaped, especially in the area where people are as spectators.
The track is very wide, the lawn is cut with a small tractor with blades and a roller cutter that is hooked behind the tractor, (used on golf courses), allowing a very low cut leaving as if it were a carpet.
The club is located within the aeroclub of our town, unfortunately it is not entirely sure that over the years you can continue there. We are still because our aeroclub, does not have an important aircraft activity, a few agricultural aircraft, although there is an important cement track, there is no commercially beneficial route for it to prosper and therefore lines of commercial aircraft, for now, do not exist , that gives us "air" so that we still exist there ... Sad Goodbye
avatar
MauricioB
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Posts : 1791
Join date : 2016-02-17
Age : 47

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Cox TD .020 r/c Achieving your minimum turns!

Post  balogh on Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:34 am

Thanks Mauricio,

is this the camera one you use?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-SJ4000-Car-Cam-Sports-Action-Waterproof-Camera-12MP-Full-HD-Fashion/202145619286?hash=item2f10d15d56Ⓜm_zYNdo0zlLx368aUu0N_Uw

At less that 14USD and free int'l shipping it is more than a deal!!
avatar
balogh
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Posts : 2001
Join date : 2011-11-06
Age : 60
Location : Budapest Hungary

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Cox TD .020 r/c Achieving your minimum turns!

Post  1/2A Nut on Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:20 pm

Small planes do best with higher resolutions if you graphics card and handle it.
480 dpi is not so great and does not fill the entire screen on the monitor.
1080P would at least do that. I would recommend a 4K camera so you can
adjust the DPI to suit your graphics card. The 4K camera can be set at numerous
resolutions. 1440P as an example.  

I have this one: 4K / 16MP
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dragon-Touch-Vision-3-4K-Sports-Action-Camera-Ultra-HD-Waterproof-WiFi-16MP-D/263167231957?epid=633247762&hash=item3d45fd47d5:g:RlsAAOSwqJRZoG3a

Comes with a case and two batteries to include a remote wrist band if you don't want
to turn it on with a smart phone or manually.

Progress of course has moved forward here is a better camera 4k / 20MP
Example:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/AKASO-Brave-4-4K-20MP-Wifi-Action-Camera-Sony-Sensor-Ultra-HD-with-EIS-30m-Un/322975326564?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D44040%26meid%3D25a553741d5a44c194a929157ac68f99%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D6%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D263406230720&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851


Last edited by 1/2A Nut on Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
avatar
1/2A Nut
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Posts : 1989
Join date : 2013-10-20
Age : 55
Location : Brad in Texas

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Cox TD .020 r/c Achieving your minimum turns!

Post  balogh on Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:28 pm

Thank you Brad, I will compare the parameters of your camera to those of my small SONY HDR (which was not quite cheap so I need to think twice before I retire it. Huh...)

Maybe I simply do not use my SONY HDR correctly, plus I typically fly - with less confidence - in higher altitudes than you and Mauricio so the visibility of my planes is inherently poorer..
avatar
balogh
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Posts : 2001
Join date : 2011-11-06
Age : 60
Location : Budapest Hungary

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Cox TD .020 r/c Achieving your minimum turns!

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum