Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register! Guests are limited to posting in the "General Questions (Guest Posting Allowed)" section only. Becoming a member is fast, easy and FREE!

Propellers? - Page 2 Babe_b10

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Tee Dee 049 / 051 Glow Head ID
by dckrsn Today at 3:52 pm

» Fox 35 with ST NVA
by Jason_WI Today at 2:51 pm

» Need info Fox ?
by Eddy Today at 2:34 pm

» K & B Greenhead's
by Ken Cook Today at 2:30 pm

» 1/2A class field box
by getback Today at 1:00 pm

» Can a Tee See 049 spin a 1.5" spinner
by badbill Today at 10:17 am

» Cox engine .049 r/c & COX FUN MODEL
by getback Today at 10:08 am

» My two latest planes
by rsv1cox Today at 6:52 am

» TD pusher prop?
by batjac Yesterday at 10:49 pm

» Another Cox Parts ID
by EXModelEngines Yesterday at 5:29 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
September-2020
sosam117's

"Traded an electric charger for this "Complete" (original) Cox Thimble Drome Olympic .15 engine. Right corner is photo as received."

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Propellers? - Page 2 Empty

Propellers?

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Propellers? - Page 2 Empty Re: Propellers?

Post  getback on Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:59 am

I pm'd 1/2ANut see if he will ck. in with us , i couldn't find the thread they were in .
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2019 Supporter

2020 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler on Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:13 am

Don't know exactly where I read it, may even have been a posted by 1/2A Nut on either RC Groups or RC Universe. The post mentioned success using Bullnose props. The post mentioned that they were sturdy enough for 1/2A engine use. I don't know if they would be suitable for aggressive use like on a high nitro fueled .049+ Tee Dee, but am considering getting them for reed valve and possibly Medallion use.

Propellers? - Page 2 2018-022
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  oldguy on Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:31 pm

GallopingGhostler wrote:Don't know exactly where I read it, may even have been a posted by 1/2A Nut on either RC Groups or RC Universe. The post mentioned success using Bullnose props. The post mentioned that they were sturdy enough for 1/2A engine use. I don't know if they would be suitable for aggressive use like on a high nitro fueled .049+ Tee Dee, but am considering getting them for reed valve and possibly Medallion use.

Propellers? - Page 2 2018-022

Seeing these have a 4.5 pitch,  I have always used  5x3 props on my cox .049  Reedies, and they perform well.  Is the 4.5 pitch going to slow the rpms down and slow my 1/2A's down? Would the 4x4.5 prop be better?
oldguy
oldguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler on Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:20 pm

oldguy wrote:Seeing these have a 4.5 pitch,  I have always used 5x3 props on my cox .049 Reedies, and they perform well. Is the 4.5 pitch going to slow the rpms down and slow my 1/2A's down? Would the 4x4.5 prop be better?

I used the example so folks would know what a Bullnose prop looks like, but not as specifics for any particular engine. I can't speak whether suitable for the Killer Bee and ultra high performance reed valves because I don't have them.

I have found that for maximum performance on moderate nitro fuels (i.e., 15% up to 25%), I've had good luck with standard 6x3 props with Babe Bee, Golden Bee, Black Widow and R/C Bee (Sure Start piston cylinder set). At sea level some 30 years ago, I found little difference between a 5.25x4 and 6x3 Top Flite white nylon prop (the one with the red letters and stripes silk screening.) As such, I used them interchangeably.

I've used 5.25x4 props and yes they will work, but found that at elevation, they produce less thrust than a 6x3. Some years back when I was living in Gallup NM at 6,500 ft. elevation, the 5x4 props barely pulled my Q-Tee along, struggling for altitude. As soon as I propped engine with a 6x3, it flew with decent speed and had a decent climb. This mirrors Peter Chinn's observation that a 6x3 is an optimal prop to use, within peak horsepower band.

Of course, with higher nitro, high compression glow heads, the paradigm may shift to 5 inch props as being more advantageous. Those who are high performance speed fliers would know. I don't, because I've never gone there before.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  oldguy on Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:56 pm

GallopingGhostler wrote:
oldguy wrote:Seeing these have a 4.5 pitch,  I have always used 5x3 props on my cox .049 Reedies, and they perform well. Is the 4.5 pitch going to slow the rpms down and slow my 1/2A's down? Would the 4x4.5 prop be better?

I used the example so folks would know what a Bullnose prop looks like, but not as specifics for any particular engine. I can't speak whether suitable for the Killer Bee and ultra high performance reed valves because I don't have them.

I have found that for maximum performance on moderate nitro fuels (i.e., 15% up to 25%), I've had good luck with standard 6x3 props with Babe Bee, Golden Bee, Black Widow and R/C Bee (Sure Start piston cylinder set). At sea level some 30 years ago, I found little difference between a 5.25x4 and 6x3 Top Flite white nylon prop (the one with the red letters and stripes silk screening.) As such, I used them interchangeably.

I've used 5.25x4 props and yes they will work, but found that at elevation, they produce less thrust than a 6x3. Some years back when I was living in Gallup NM at 6,500 ft. elevation, the 5x4 props barely pulled my Q-Tee along, struggling for altitude. As soon as I propped engine with a 6x3, it flew with decent speed and had a decent climb. This mirrors Peter Chinn's observation that a 6x3 is an optimal prop to use, within peak horsepower band.

Of course, with higher nitro, high compression glow heads, the paradigm may shift to 5 inch props as being more advantageous. Those who are high performance speed fliers would know. I don't, because I've never gone there before.

That's all I needed to hear as I thought that 4.5 pitch is to much for my reed valve engines, it won't let them rev up. thanks.
oldguy
oldguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  1/2A Nut on Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:02 pm

Reed engine bench test for speed, just an example I have many other tests
and flight vids to give you the best possible prop per plane / engine type.

Published on Oct 14, 2017

Cox Killer Bee Frame / TD .049 Cylinder -24,740 / HQ 4x4.5
Best peak 24,740 / 7.1oz thrust / 106 mph pitch speed / 93.3w
Nelson plug / 25% nitro / HQ Carbon 4x4.5 prop
SPI cylinder

Last edited by 1/2A Nut on Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
1/2A Nut
1/2A Nut
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2019 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky on Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:32 pm

Here is a linc to the old thread on Dal Props being used on IC engines

https://www.coxengineforum.com/t11371-can-these-be-used-for-glow-power#145083
Marleysky
Marleysky
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2019 Supporter

2020 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum