Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

stooge - Push button stooge - Page 2 Cox_ba12

stooge - Push button stooge - Page 2 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Here we go again... another Lawn-Boy
by Admin Today at 3:25 pm

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by roddie Today at 2:48 pm

» Help Pee Wee tank cap .020
by rdw777 Today at 12:38 pm

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by Admin Today at 10:31 am

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by GTO455 Today at 8:11 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 7:29 am

» Post your Older books
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:51 pm

» EXTREMELY RARE COX THIMBLE DROME PROTOTYPE "BLACK WIDOW" GAS MODEL AIRPLANE
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 6:58 pm

» I brake for Turtles....
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 6:38 pm

» Ball - Socket Joints
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 3:06 pm

» A little nostalgia…
by MauricioB Yesterday at 2:32 pm

» A new useful transport vehicle
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 10:32 am

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

stooge - Push button stooge - Page 2 Empty
Live on Patrol

Push button stooge

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

stooge - Push button stooge - Page 2 Empty Re: Push button stooge

Post  Slick049 Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:03 am

So, lots of changes in the design.  I had gone through a couple or three iterations of the original set up and was never satisfied with the action of the attendant components.  Upgrading to the 12V battery sent me back to the drawing board.  No more bellcrank, for starters.  Focused on direct throw, if that makes sense, and how to make that work.  The short throw of the solenoid piston really limited my options.  Found some alum. channel that was practical and went from there.  Then had to deal with capturing/containing the solenoid piston.  Getting the geometry right, up/down, side/side, length and so on.  FINALLY came down to this:

stooge - Push button stooge - Page 2 Stooge18

Firstly, the remote receiver is contained in a handy dandy bullet tray.  Not sure if blow back fuel would corrupt it's electronics but settled on this box to protect it and the wiring connections.

stooge - Push button stooge - Page 2 Stooge19

Soldered a washer to a piece of tubing that just fit over the rivet head "guide tube" to act as a stop for the solenoid piston.  Placement of the solenoid, relative to the launch channel was critical, as might be expected.  A very intolerant, close enough, fit with those components.  Made use of double backed tape for easier adjustments.

stooge - Push button stooge - Page 2 Stooge20

stooge - Push button stooge - Page 2 Stooge21

Assorted contraptions, including springs and not, were tried in an attempt to "arm" the catch pin.  Ended up crafting a piece of wire that sticks out enough to grab and use to slide to piston/pin to and fro.  Seems to work the best.  So far.

stooge - Push button stooge - Page 2 Stooge22

Again, considering the blow back fuel, I figured it'd be best to protect the solenoid and contraption as much as possible.  Found a divider, in its protective bubble pack that fit like it was made for it.  Just enough to keep the bulk of contaminants from reaching the working parts and low enough to fit under the horizontal stab of any airplane I might need to launch.  A little trimming and fitting and VOILA!

stooge - Push button stooge - Page 2 Stooge23

Closing in on finishing a Brodak P-51. A couple more coats of dope, some Monokote, and I'll be ready to test out my stooge.
Slick049
Slick049
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  944_Jim Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:22 pm

I like that iteration! I was thinking of the same idea, and using the bullet connectors to connect.to the power panelnon my field box for more "oomph!"

My concern is the side load on the pin when the plane is pulling on it. The solenoid has to overcome this friction.

The action only needs to move the retaining ounce enough to allow the tail skid to pull clear. So I've been thinking of using a bellcrank to decrease throw, but increase the pin-pull of the solenoid. I'm thinking close to 2:1 gives twice as much pull for 1/2 as much throw.

Over on RCG or SH a guy used a door pull solenoid with sear-safety latches activated by the same receiver you used.

I will continue to watch in anticipation.

Thanks for the updates!

944_Jim
944_Jim
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:53 am

Thats looking good and so is your plane that looks kinda like a stuntman 23 , all but the wing area . This push button would work good for two wanting to fly some comat (fun) , the only drawback is the batt. i have a1 field bow but would need a smaller setup for another ,, i use 4" alum. spikes to hold mine (stooge) in place , drill 3 holes and push the stakes through to the ground . Hope you get to try it soon keep us updated . Very Happy This Site Rocks!
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2