Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

rodd -e - - "Against all Odds" Rodd-E-Liminator vids Cox_ba12

rodd -e - - "Against all Odds" Rodd-E-Liminator vids Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by Kim Today at 7:17 am

» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by F4D Phantom II Yesterday at 8:00 pm

» World's largest weathervane
by Cox International Yesterday at 6:51 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 6:27 pm

» Here we go again... another Lawn-Boy
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:50 am

» Norvel Needle Needed
by Greenman38633 Yesterday at 5:02 am

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by 1/2A Nut Yesterday at 12:41 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rsv1cox Wed May 08, 2024 8:26 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Wed May 08, 2024 8:04 pm

» music vids.. some of your favorites
by HalfaDave Wed May 08, 2024 7:55 pm

» Help Pee Wee tank cap .020
by rdw777 Wed May 08, 2024 2:30 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Wed May 08, 2024 9:21 am

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

rodd -e - - "Against all Odds" Rodd-E-Liminator vids Empty
Live on Patrol

"Against all Odds" Rodd-E-Liminator vids

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

rodd -e - - "Against all Odds" Rodd-E-Liminator vids Empty "Against all Odds" Rodd-E-Liminator vids

Post  roddie Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:04 pm

I ran the car again today, with two wraps of rubber on the drive-wheel on the same 12' length tether (.031" SS stranded-cable)

The 1st run tore-up the "outer-wrap" of rubber in short-order.. and the car flipped end-over-end.. before completing a full lap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhD2MqNDje4

For the next trial, I added weight to the mid-frt. of the car by using a binder-clip and pinewood-derby car weights. This added 1.25oz. to the car.. for a total weight of 6.75oz.

rodd -e - - "Against all Odds" Rodd-E-Liminator vids 20190640

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4oEwUS2xF4

The torn outer-wrap of tire-rubber came-off when starting the engine for the 2nd-run.. but I was able to at least get a few laps on the car, without it flipping over again. The inner-wrap of tire-rubber gave-way after about the 5th lap.

rodd -e - - "Against all Odds" Rodd-E-Liminator vids 20190641
rodd -e - - "Against all Odds" Rodd-E-Liminator vids 20190642
rodd -e - - "Against all Odds" Rodd-E-Liminator vids 20190643

Last edited by roddie on Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:03 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : removed "HELP" from post-title)
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

rodd -e - - "Against all Odds" Rodd-E-Liminator vids Empty Re: "Against all Odds" Rodd-E-Liminator vids

Post  Davenz13 Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:10 pm

Five laps Roddie, I would call that a successful run. It was even doing a few wheelies in the first lap.
Get the tire problem sorted and it'll be all go, although you might want something a bit more substantial for a front wheel for prolonged runs.
Nothing like proving a concept. Thumbs Up
Davenz13
Davenz13
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

rodd -e - - "Against all Odds" Rodd-E-Liminator vids Empty Re: "Against all Odds" Rodd-E-Liminator vids

Post  getback Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:58 am

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Clapping Clapping Clapping Clapping Clapping Good deal man way to get out there and make the run work , I AM ENVY OF YOU AFTER I COULDN'T GET MINE TO DO RIGHT !!! Hand Shake I just watched the other vid and sounds like Lynn was having the right amount of fun !! lol! Beer Cheers
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:27 am

Davenz13 wrote:Five laps Roddie, I would call that a successful run. It was even doing a few wheelies in the first lap.
Get the tire problem sorted and it'll be all go, although you might want something a bit more substantial for a front wheel for prolonged runs.
Nothing like proving a concept. Thumbs Up

Hi Dave, yea.. the front-end was lifting.. Affraid or WOW! even after I added weight. The weight could probably have been placed more forward.. but it kept the car from flipping-over again. When the tire starts to shred, it def. ends the fun.. but at least it causes the engine to stall.. and not over-rev. The 2nd vid shows a faint 24 foot diameter ring of burnt-rubber from the tire breaking-down. I actually thought that was pretty cool! Smoking

The front wheel(s) need to be some type of soft foam, if I continue to run on the rough pavement.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:42 am

Way to go roddie. You are now an official member of The Knights of the Land Based Circle.

Congratulations........

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:13 am

Good job man! I bet that once you work out the kinks that thing will go pretty good. Thanks for taking a second run at it! It was worth it.

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:42 pm

Congratulations Roddie! Those videos were great! It was fun watching you get a decent run of of your own design car. Now, I know why the tires on the Shrike I have are worn unevenly. That outboard wheel really took a beating on the asphalt! Thanks for sharing the videos!
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

rodd -e - - "Against all Odds" Rodd-E-Liminator vids Empty bottle rocket JATO

Post  fredvon4 Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:32 pm

dang that was fun for nearly a year.......more!
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:09 am

Last Tuesday evening I tried running the tether-car again. I had mounted the foam tires that CEF member "overlord" (Lieven) sent me from France, onto the PVC drive-wheel and tried to run it.

rodd -e - - "Against all Odds" Rodd-E-Liminator vids Mailed14
rodd -e - - "Against all Odds" Rodd-E-Liminator vids Lieven15

Those tires blew right-off as soon as I launched the car.. and I lost one of them.  Mad

I then decided to see what else I had in my "wheel box".. that might possibly work. Huh...

This axle had two wheels mounted with solid rubber tires.. so I removed one to give it a try.

rodd -e - - "Against all Odds" Rodd-E-Liminator vids Solid_10

Here is the result.. (watch for the smoke..  Shocked )

rodd -e - - "Against all Odds" Rodd-E-Liminator vids Solid_11
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:52 pm

Roddie, the instructions that come with the Cox Mercedes say that the tires are plastic and are designed to slip until the car gets up to speed and I found that to be true.  But once up to speed the car simply flies around the circle.  The plastic tires hold up fine, but the spokes take a beating.

Perhaps if you could fine a similar tire/wheel combination that would work.

I want to set up something between my Shrike and a Mercedes.  From what I have seen the Mercedes would lap the Shrike rather quickly.  

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:54 pm

More progress!

So, my two cents, you notice your speed was much slower, this is probably because the hub was spinning in the tire. The tire eventually let go. Those old airplane tires shrink and harden when they age, they still work fine on an airplane, but will not stand up to any torque as a driven wheel.  I really think you should go back to the foam. A can of carpet adhesive is really cheap and should do the trick, it sets up really fast so you have to work quickly.

Thanks for the video Roddie.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:38 pm

rsv1cox wrote:Roddie, the instructions that come with the Cox Mercedes say that the tires are plastic and are designed to slip until the car gets up to speed and I found that to be true.  But once up to speed the car simply flies around the circle.  The plastic tires hold up fine, but the spokes take a beating.

Perhaps if you could fine a similar tire/wheel combination that would work.

I want to set up something between my Shrike and a Mercedes.  From what I have seen the Mercedes would lap the Shrike rather quickly.  

Bob

Hi Robert! Have you been able to run/capture video of any of your Mercedes cars? I'd love to see that!

This latest run of my car held promise. The wheel/tire composition I thought for sure would be the key to getting it to hook-up.

Today I took a look at the wheel and tire, to check their condition. It actually turns-out favorable.

rodd -e - - "Against all Odds" Rodd-E-Liminator vids 7-2-1910
rodd -e - - "Against all Odds" Rodd-E-Liminator vids 7-4-1910
rodd -e - - "Against all Odds" Rodd-E-Liminator vids 7-4-1911

The "wheel" is a high-quality billet-aluminum piece with a deep V-groove for the tire to seat. The tire is of a hard-compound/solid-rubber construction and after cleaning-up both.. it looks like they're ready for another run; providing I can get the tire to stick to the rim. I'm going to try launching with a "push".. next time. Even the model hydro-plane "boats" need a push, to get them up on "step". Maybe that will help get this car going?? Huh...

rodd -e - - "Against all Odds" Rodd-E-Liminator vids 7-4-1912
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:47 pm

Cribbs74 wrote:More progress!

So, my two cents, you notice your speed was much slower, this is probably because the hub was spinning in the tire. The tire eventually let go. Those old airplane tires shrink and harden when they age, they still work fine on an airplane, but will not stand up to any torque as a driven wheel.  I really think you should go back to the foam. A can of carpet adhesive is really cheap and should do the trick, it sets up really fast so you have to work quickly.

Thanks for the video Roddie.

Hi Ron! The latest wheel/tire construction is outlined in the previous post. It's not a model-airplane part. I don't know where I got it from. It was in my "wheel-box".. and there's a spare which is still on the axle that I pulled "this one" from.

rodd -e - - "Against all Odds" Rodd-E-Liminator vids 7-2-1911

It's solid/HARD rubber. No markings on it whatsoever though.. Huh...

I believe that the tire was spinning.. rather than the rim spinning within the tire. The tire "did" separate from the rim.. but not until the 3rd lap or so.. (you can hear it happenning at approx. 2:35:00 on the 7/2 vid)

Last edited by roddie on Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:57 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : clarification on the wheel/tire construction)
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:09 pm

I really have to say that there's a LOT of other things that "could have" given me trouble with this project.. but haven't thus far.

The engine starts easily.. and seems to draw fuel reliably from its' external tank. The tether-bridle seems to be holding-up. Huh... Huh... Huh...

I "do" miss the wheelies from when running the double-width "Phatt-tire" (slick).. Cool

oh yea.. the Sig "Champion 25" that I've been using is going-on 30 years old..
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:19 pm

My camera has a movie mode Roddie that runs 30 seconds, but what I got is not viewable. My shaky hands and the car flying around the circle.

One day I will catch my son with his phone camera and post something.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:30 pm

rsv1cox wrote:My camera has a movie mode Roddie that runs 30 seconds, but what I got is not viewable.  My shaky hands and the car flying around the circle.

One day I will catch my son with his phone camera and post something.  

I understand completely Robert. I have a hard-enough time getting video of my own escapades.. then there's the "uploading" to a video-hosting (YouTube) site.. I must say though... that "YouTube" seems to be easier to upload your vid. than it used to be..
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Diedrichs Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:56 pm

Mr. Roddie , Here's my two cents worth, W.W. Grainger may have just the wheel you need!! Search their sight for solid hard rubber castor wheel or even a metal wheel as the metal may throw sparks as the car runs!!! Hope this helps and keep up the good work, Mark
Mark Diedrichs
Mark Diedrichs
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

rodd -e - - "Against all Odds" Rodd-E-Liminator vids Empty bond my tire to my rim..

Post  roddie Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:12 pm

rodd -e - - "Against all Odds" Rodd-E-Liminator vids 7-4-1913

I need to "BOND" this hard-rubber tire to its' aluminum rim.. to be able to withstand the heat from the tire spinning.. prior to hooking-up (1:1) on rough asphalt. This has been the common-failure with this model.

I believe that the tire "expanded" due to the heat of friction.. which broke the bond with the rim.

This tire is TOUGH.. and I'm not hesitant to re-mount it and try to run the car again. The rims' hub-hole is approx. 3/16".. and I thought that I'd need to "bush-it" down to 1/8" for the Coxs' 5-40 prop-screw.. but the Tee Dee-style spinner/hub that I'm using to electric-start the engine "centers-itself" on the outer-contour of the wheel/rim. I haven't witnessed any vibration due to an out-of-balance condition thus-far.. with any of the wheel/tire combinations that I've experimented with.

rodd -e - - "Against all Odds" Rodd-E-Liminator vids 7-4-1914

Previously I've been launching the car without a push.. and now realize that a push may help to get the car going faster. I may also lengthen the tether from its' present 12ft. length.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Diedrichs Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:22 pm

The solid hard rubber castor wheels that grainger sells are one piece, check them out, may help. Mark
Mark Diedrichs
Mark Diedrichs
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  aspeed Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:47 pm

Maybe a solid urethane wheel?  The tether car guys whip them around from the centre for a few laps and then jump up on a platform to get out of the way.  They start out with a broom stick.  It may be to get it started? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovWEzPCvL8s
aspeed
aspeed
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:06 pm

Hey Mark and Alan! Thanks for your advise. I will keep both of your recommendations in mind.

I just re-mounted the tire onto the wheel/rim (had to use a vise to seat-it) but used some cyano-acrylate (super-glue) "gel" in the "V-groove" of the aluminum wheel/rim.. to try to achieve a bond that will hold-up to the heat of friction.

rodd -e - - "Against all Odds" Rodd-E-Liminator vids 7-4-1915
rodd -e - - "Against all Odds" Rodd-E-Liminator vids 7-4-1916
rodd -e - - "Against all Odds" Rodd-E-Liminator vids 7-4-1917

I plan to run the car again tomorrow (7/5).. so check-back to see how it went..
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:01 pm

I noticed what looked like a piece of "grit" in the fuel-line of of my tether-car. A dark speck of something.. Huh... What? I was going to ignore it.. but it bugged me to think that I would ignore it.. Rolling Eyes

So.. I dismounted the wedge-tank and removed the fuel-line from its' feed-tube. The small piece of green foam cushioning that I'd placed between the tank and its' mount had disintegrated from raw-fuel exposure. I thought that maybe a piece of that may have gotten into the tank and found its' way into the fuel-line. I removed all of the broken-down foam.. and fed the fuel-line out through the hole in the body.. so that I could straighten it. Removing the line from the engine would have required removing the engine to reinstall the line afterward.. so I used a piece of 1/16" music-wire as a catheter to reach whatever was in that line. I was able to reach and pull the debris back as far as the compression-fitting.. then used a dental floss/pick to snag it out the end. It was indeed "grit" which would have played havoc; had it gotten under the reed.

rodd -e - - "Against all Odds" Rodd-E-Liminator vids 20190710
rodd -e - - "Against all Odds" Rodd-E-Liminator vids 20190711

Note that I moved the weight/clamp rearward because of the heavier front-wheels that I swapped-in. I'm hoping that this (along with a push-assist on launch..) might help to get some "traction" without lugging the engine to the point of stalling.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:36 am

LOve the Smoke man . I hope you can get her up to speed , good to see ur still having fun tring 4th of July Flag Small Cox Logo 4th of July Flag
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:35 am

getback wrote:LOve the Smoke man . I hope you can get her up to speed , good to see ur still having fun tring 4th of July Flag Small Cox Logo 4th of July Flag

Yea.. I'd hoped to get a run in yesterday.. but it was too HOT outdoors to do anything that required exertion. I actually did get out the leaf-blower.. and blew-off the area where I've been running the car. There was some sand/pebbles etc. which would definitely hinder traction.

My Daughter is getting married today.. so maybe I'll try on Sunday, if the weather cooperates. Thanks for checking-in Eric. Hope you're enjoying the weekend!
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  OVERLORD Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:05 am

Gongratulations Roddie!!

I've been away hiking in the Alps for a week and I just read your last posts from 4 July onwards. A shame the foam tyres didn't stay on. You need to glue them on with CA glue on many spots between the wheel and the tyre. But you're making progress. I still think foam tyres will give the best results as you have a big contact surface.

Try to get som AJ's. I found 2 (rear) AJ's  for my Jerobee recently over here. Front tyres look like this:

rodd -e - - "Against all Odds" Rodd-E-Liminator vids Aj_s_f10

https://www.ebay.fr/itm/AJs-804-Vintage-Med-Firm-1-12-12th-Front-Sponge-Tire-Donuts-12e-12i-12L-Twinn-K/372692276112?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160908105057%26meid%3Dae6482d855664fe3b111f1a93c56d129%26pid%3D100675%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D15%26sd%3D333250220643%26itm%3D372692276112&_trksid=p2481888.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=pageci%3Ae86276a0-9ffd-11e9-a62d-74dbd180b698%7Cparentrq%3Ac7c7308716b0ad31a39aecd7ff8372ed%7Ciid%3A1

The label mentions the dimensions. Twinn-K always sold trued tyres. That way, they won't wobble or anything. And get some good ballast on the rear axle.

Good luck!!
OVERLORD
OVERLORD
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next