Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Is anyone looking forward to the winter solstice? Cox_ba12

Is anyone looking forward to the winter solstice? Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Help Pee Wee tank cap .020
by MauricioB Today at 8:05 pm

» Here we go again... another Lawn-Boy
by Admin Today at 7:54 pm

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by roddie Today at 2:48 pm

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by Admin Today at 10:31 am

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by GTO455 Today at 8:11 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 7:29 am

» Post your Older books
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:51 pm

» EXTREMELY RARE COX THIMBLE DROME PROTOTYPE "BLACK WIDOW" GAS MODEL AIRPLANE
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 6:58 pm

» I brake for Turtles....
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 6:38 pm

» Ball - Socket Joints
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 3:06 pm

» A little nostalgia…
by MauricioB Yesterday at 2:32 pm

» A new useful transport vehicle
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 10:32 am

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Is anyone looking forward to the winter solstice? Empty
Live on Patrol

Is anyone looking forward to the winter solstice?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Is anyone looking forward to the winter solstice? Empty Is anyone looking forward to the winter solstice?

Post  rsv1cox Fri Dec 17, 2021 3:54 pm

I do.........every year with equal amounts of anticipation and dread. The dread starts on the summer solstice when the days start getting shorter.

For me, it's hope with a capital H! Days start getting longer again and I'm a sunshine person. But, I must say as a kid in snowy New Hampshire I loved winter. 5am O- dark hundred in the morning I'm off with my .22 walking the rail road tracks up to "rattle snake" mountain some seven miles away. Backpack, Lipton soup, a can of Sterno and WW2 surplus cooking gear plus a dry pair of socks. At least a box of long rifles.

Happy times and a long time ago.

Is anyone looking forward to the winter solstice? Winter13
Is anyone looking forward to the winter solstice? Unname10
Is anyone looking forward to the winter solstice? Winter12
Is anyone looking forward to the winter solstice? Stoneh10
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Is anyone looking forward to the winter solstice? Empty Re: Is anyone looking forward to the winter solstice?

Post  TLAnderson Fri Dec 17, 2021 4:30 pm

I look forward to the solstice. Sunset is at 4:21 PM today. That's 1 minute later than it was on Tuesday. cheers
Don't know what I'm going to do with all that extra daylight. Huh...

Nice photos, Bob. Thumbs Up

Last edited by TLAnderson on Sun Dec 19, 2021 7:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
TLAnderson
TLAnderson
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Is anyone looking forward to the winter solstice? Empty Re: Is anyone looking forward to the winter solstice?

Post  944_Jim Fri Dec 17, 2021 4:30 pm

Bob,
I am. I grew up in Boston...hate the snow, miss Bruins hockey. I hate the shorter days that keep getting shorter. Then the shortest day is here, and I feel better about the other side.

In the same vein, I hate the longest day of the year. It means they all start getting shorter again. My wife has threatened to buy me a "sun lamp." Yep...she hopes it grows on me and helps me overcome the dreariness of winter!

Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Surfer_kris Fri Dec 17, 2021 4:53 pm

Sun goes down at 3pm here now, we do have a sun lamp but it doesn't change anything...
Surfer_kris
Surfer_kris
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Yabby Fri Dec 17, 2021 5:26 pm

Nooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Damn! Damn! We just had our first day of 38 at the cricket. Should be into the 40s soon! cheers cheers I live for the heat where we are and it only just got here. I hate when we cross the solstice as its heading back towards the cold every day, just a little bit closer. lol! sunny sunny sunny

Yabby
Yabby
Yabby
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Fri Dec 17, 2021 6:23 pm

There's an episode in the old sitcom, "Northern Exposure" where the residents in a northern Alaska town were suffering from depression caused by sunlight deprivation.  They were prescribed what looked like glasses frames, with small lamps shining simulated sunlight on their eyelids.

Can't remember much of the rest, other than the whole population of the town became addicted, and had to go through "Light Withdrawal Treatment" or some such.

My younger brother and I track the sun as it sets farther and farther south, so after Tuesday, we at least have the satisfaction of the days getting longer (microscopically at first), if not warmer.

Still a long ways from "Morning Coffee in My Socks".

Is anyone looking forward to the winter solstice? Img_2010
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Fri Dec 17, 2021 8:54 pm

In response to Yabby, even though we're from a similar latitude, I don't subscribe to a great love of hot weather.  Anything over 32ºC. is wasted I say.  We've just been through a week or two with some pretty warm days, reminding me how much I hate the heat.  Mind you, I think I'd rather learn to handle that than put up with the sub-zero temperatures and snow that most of you Northern Hemispherians have to suffer. I suppose we get a bit of both down here so it balances out in the end.  I enjoy the variety.  "Four Seasons in One Day" is not just a Crowded House song, it's a reality around here. Laughing
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Is anyone looking forward to the winter solstice? Empty Fledgling

Post  Coxfledgling Sat Dec 18, 2021 1:56 am

Love those pictures, or are they paintings ?

Cracking dawn here in Snowdonia but was cold last night. It's been dry for the last few days which makes a change.

Nearly at the turning point now so "up hill" soon, full of optimism and hope for the next year.

Stay safe out there guys.
Coxfledgling
Coxfledgling
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Sat Dec 18, 2021 2:11 am

I mostly wait for the Solstice to be over... Right now we have 5h 17min from sunrise to sunset. The non-cloudy sky and full Moon helped the past few ”days”. By the end of January it will be much better usually sunny

The dark does not really bother me that much, mostly just an inconvenience while driving or trying to get something done outside. Not a thing I can control at all, so no use to complain about it either Smile So I just try to stay home by the hi-fi or the fireplace as much as possible. I do know people to whom the darkness really is hard. For some of them it is most likely just an attitude thing, but there is also a real known mental condition linked to it.
KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Coxfledgling Sat Dec 18, 2021 5:00 am

Kari, may I ask how did you get your national flag to show at the bottom of your thread please ?
Coxfledgling
Coxfledgling
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Sat Dec 18, 2021 5:10 am

Coxfledgling wrote:Kari, may I ask how did you get your national flag to show at the bottom of your thread please ?

When you write a post, you'll notice a list of Emoticons/Emojis on the right side.  There's a number of different flags under the "flags" tab.  Click on "View more emoticons" tab to find it.  Not every flag is listed.  The administrator can probably add what you want if it's available from his source.

Australia
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sat Dec 18, 2021 6:30 am

Longer days YES now sunrise 7.25 set is 5.10 ish without looking I find it funny i eat at around 6.00 pm in the fall/ winter summer it 8.30 ? I like beeing outside as much as possible and grilling out is better ! Snowman
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Dec 18, 2021 7:21 am

Coxfledgling wrote:Love those pictures, or are they paintings ?

Cracking dawn here in Snowdonia but was cold last night. It's been dry for the last few days which makes a change.

Nearly at the turning point now so "up hill" soon, full of optimism and hope for the next year.

Stay safe out there guys.

I believe the first two are paintings, don't know for sure, I pulled them off the internet. Last two are pictures, last one Stonehenge where the Druids are presently congregating. Smile

Real pictures. My home in Raymond New Hampshire on Epping street. I was a couple of hundred miles south in Bainbridge Maryland when that picture was taken. Navy boot camp freezing my heals off while waiting to get into the chow hall. Less snow, just as cold.

Is anyone looking forward to the winter solstice? Scan_111

My older brother and me and "Ginger."
Is anyone looking forward to the winter solstice? Scan_110

rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  OVERLORD Sat Dec 18, 2021 9:08 am

Great Nash!!
OVERLORD
OVERLORD
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Coxfledgling Sat Dec 18, 2021 9:43 am

Good snow drift...

Last good snow in Snowdonia was 3inches, then another 6 on top.
Drained out nearly 2 liters of water from the lads bike tank a few days later

When we lived by the sea, a bad snow storm, cars abandoned, snow plough clears the main road a few days later, BAM, what was that says the driver, BAM, bam, bam, bam and a final bam, 6 cars written off !
Coxfledgling
Coxfledgling
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Sat Dec 18, 2021 9:55 am

Absolutely love the winter solstice. I think of it as the best day of the year with the days beginning to become longer. Conversely, the summer solstice is the worst as daylight begins to wane, albeit slowly.

BTW, I'm also a proponent of full year daylight saving time.
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Is anyone looking forward to the winter solstice? Empty Day Light savings

Post  Dick Russ Sat Dec 18, 2021 11:26 am

I agree. Never really understood why we need the time change
Dick Russ
Dick Russ
Silver Member
Silver Member

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rdw777 Sat Dec 18, 2021 5:31 pm

For me it’s just a mark of season change….. My wife and I ride the country roads in our area on the weekends and take a pair of binoculars and a camera mostly photographing birds….It’s also our time to talk and just hang out together away from the house…,, Season change brings new species in…. Some leave and others stay year round …..

Is anyone looking forward to the winter solstice? 4d7fce10
rdw777
rdw777
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  cstatman Sat Dec 18, 2021 5:57 pm

i grew up in North East Texas, where we could experience all 4 seasons in a good day.

I've been living in Silicon Valley the past 21 years, where there isnt really 'seasons'
the hottest of the hot days? not really hot
the coldest of the cold days? not really cold
and everything seems to level out at night.
sure it rains here and there, and some mornings are chillier than others
but for the most part ? the weather is ideal.
long days in summer, long nights in winter, its what ya do.

Which is why I bought a retirement place in Colorado, .... so I can get back to seasons.
I'm actually headed there tomorrow. there is snow on the ground. My 15 yr old son is gonna get to drive a tractor, shoot some 22lr, sit by an open campfire, fly RC gliders. and spend time with some of my best friends.

I miss seasons. cold and dark is good.
it reminds us warm and light is coming.
cstatman
cstatman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Dec 19, 2021 5:41 pm

Is anyone looking forward to the winter solstice? Royal_10

Sounds like we have some folks here who could be members of the Royal Order of the 21st'ers.

That comes from a local radio show (now currently a podcast), Garage Logic: https://garagelogic.com/ There used to be a site they made that went with the image above, looks like it's long gone.

I'm the same way, once days start getting shorter... you know we're on that slow slide into winter. But, once days start to get longer, I know we're over the hump and it's just a matter of time. Of course, January is typically our coldest month, so it still has to put you in your place. Cold

Admin
Admin
Administrator

http://sites.google.com/site/coxenginecollection/

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Mon Dec 20, 2021 5:45 am

I agree about the daylight savings. Practically no one’s job is dependent on the daylight, ever since electric light became common.

Besides, places like Dallas, TX have 10 hours from sunrise to sunset even today! Chicago close to 9 hours, hard for me to see the problem Very Happy Good for you guys!

I remember Northern Exposure show Kim, but not that episode, fun show at the time, mid-80s I think? There’s also a movie, with Robert DeNiro (or was it Al Pacino) as an FBI agent sent somewhere in Alaska to investigate a murder. It was mid summer, and the sun didn’t set at all during those weeks and the guy could not sleep at all either.

My neck of the woods, today sunrise @9:47, sunset @15:04. ”Sunrise” as a word is an exaggeration in this situation, Sun just sort of lingers slightly above the horizon for a few hours. The view is out of my dining room window, at 12:35 today, that’s about as high it gets before it starts to set again. Today it’s great, since it’s a clear sky Cool

Is anyone looking forward to the winter solstice? D35c9510

We’ll get the ”Dallas Solstice style” 10 hour day again in late February lol!
KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Mon Dec 20, 2021 5:51 am

Yeah Jan. through March here it more winter weather Snowman What kind of bird is that rdw? The same all the time would bee nice for awhile till I loose my mind trying to do /Bee all i can bee lol! Hope you and your son have some good Fun fling /shooting hanging out !! I Love This Forum!
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Mon Dec 20, 2021 7:23 am

Four....................Three.......................Two..........................One.......................Tuesday December 21'st Capon Bridge West Virginia 10:59EST
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rdw777 Mon Dec 20, 2021 9:13 am

Getback, The bird in the photo is a Desert Cardinal…. There’s a few here year round but many more move in during winter….
rdw777
rdw777
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Mon Dec 20, 2021 9:41 am

rdw777 wrote:Getback, The bird in the photo is a Desert Cardinal…. There’s a few here year round but many more move in during winter….

Beautiful bird and one that I have not yet seen. My Eastern Bird Book naturally does not list it but my vintage Chester Reed book that I have had since I was a teenager does.

Is anyone looking forward to the winter solstice? P1012352
Is anyone looking forward to the winter solstice? P1012351

I have not seen a Cardinal around here ever since I gave up my bird feeder. Bears just wouldn't leave it alone.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next