Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Could anyone help me Identify these diesels? Cox_ba12

Could anyone help me Identify these diesels? Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Fox .35 Modifications
by Onelife Today at 4:34 pm

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by MauricioB Today at 4:08 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 3:56 pm

» Happy Anzac Day!
by GallopingGhostler Today at 12:44 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by rsv1cox Today at 7:17 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Today at 6:20 am

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by Levent Suberk Today at 12:23 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Yesterday at 10:25 pm

» Micro Draco Gets to Fly on a Beautiful Morning.
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:15 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:06 pm

» Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 5:12 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Yesterday at 3:39 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Could anyone help me Identify these diesels? Empty
Live on Patrol

Could anyone help me Identify these diesels?

Go down

Could anyone help me Identify these diesels? Empty Could anyone help me Identify these diesels?

Post  LostServoScrew Mon Feb 21, 2022 4:46 pm

I've actually bought them, won't get them for a few days though.
Looks as if I have an ED bee, and an Allbon Javelin for an easy start.
Plus some sort of cox - already have one with the red sports tank, but I'm unsure what the actual model is?
The rest I have no idea on! (apart from the jet-x pellets, I used to have a Jetex in the 70s!
I'm especially interested in the little one with square cooling fins and the triangular mount, I've never seen anything like it.
I might invest in a small can of diesel fuel and see if any of them will run....

Many thanks all!

Could anyone help me Identify these diesels? Engine10
LostServoScrew
LostServoScrew
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Back to top Go down

Could anyone help me Identify these diesels? Empty Re: Could anyone help me Identify these diesels?

Post  Marleysky Mon Feb 21, 2022 4:58 pm

Cool bunch of engines, Congrats! The Red Sliver Blue is the Cox QRC 049, with muffler. The one in the box,lower and to the left of the QRC looks to be a McCoy Diesel 049, you'll have to look closer or get a in focus picture. The bottom 3 I have no idea. You gonna have fun with these! Welcome to the League of Oily Hand gentlemen!

Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Could anyone help me Identify these diesels? Empty Re: Could anyone help me Identify these diesels?

Post  LostServoScrew Mon Feb 21, 2022 5:31 pm

Thanks!
I think the one in the box is the Allbon Javelin, the top of the box being above it? If I'm right it seems they are relatively rare (early research days so far though)
I actually got a super super clean TD 09 (with 2 new spare heads) from this guy last week, he said he had some more in his loft, and these are they.
LostServoScrew
LostServoScrew
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Mon Feb 21, 2022 6:25 pm

The Powermax fuel pellets you have are not Jetex, they're Jet-X and not interchangeable. The pellets might fit the old engines but they're not the same. The Jet-X pellets you have were available in two styles which used a aluminum cased engine based off of the old Jetex 50. These introductions were distributed by Bob Davis of Davis Diesel in Connecticut. Unfortunately, as problematic as the original Jetex was, these were even more difficult. The fuel was notorious for clogging the nozzle and not always lets say spectacular. I built a few models that use the pellets you have. They're neat but it really is time consuming to insure they light off first try.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  LostServoScrew Mon Feb 21, 2022 7:08 pm

Thanks Ken!
I'd googled up the pellets and discovered the difference. It was only because I used to have the jetex that I knew what sort of thing they were though.
They'll be going straight on the ebay however, unless anyone here wants to buy/trade or beg them from me!
LostServoScrew
LostServoScrew
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Back to top Go down

Post  LostServoScrew Mon Feb 21, 2022 7:11 pm

Buying a small amount of diesel fuel in the UK is expensive I'm finding, the courier charge is as much as the fuel.
There's a very old school local model shop though, not been there for years, so I'll see if he has any. It's a great little shop, I hope he has because I've not been to an actual model shop for at least a decade now.
LostServoScrew
LostServoScrew
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Surfer_kris Tue Feb 22, 2022 12:43 am

Bottom right looks like a Pfeffer 0.6cc engine, made by Josef Pfeffer in Brno, former Czechoslovakia. These are very nice little engines, they have been around for quite a while and first came as plain bearing and open exhaust ports. Yours look like the latest/last creation with ballbearings and the little mufflers on the exhaust. There where also RC carbs (press fitted to the engine) available for these at the end of the production:

Could anyone help me Identify these diesels? Img_0914

Could anyone help me Identify these diesels? Img_1417
Surfer_kris
Surfer_kris
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Tue Feb 22, 2022 4:49 am

She has a nice note to it > Good looking bunch of engines congrades on the purchase
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Tue Feb 22, 2022 9:06 am

LostServoScrew wrote:Buying a small amount of diesel fuel in the UK is expensive I'm finding, the courier charge is as much as the fuel.
There's a very old school local model shop though, not been there for years, so I'll see if he has any. It's a great little shop, I hope he has because I've not been to an actual model shop for at least a decade now.

Here is the response from a Facebook page in the UK from your picture I posted:

Could anyone help me Identify these diesels? Scree140
Could anyone help me Identify these diesels? Scree141

If you want to join go here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1603592176637095/
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  LostServoScrew Tue Feb 22, 2022 9:31 am

Thanks Marleysky, really nice of you to make the effort, and very helpful, much appreciated.
LostServoScrew
LostServoScrew
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Back to top Go down

Could anyone help me Identify these diesels? Empty Fledgling

Post  Coxfledgling Tue Feb 22, 2022 11:50 am

Hi LSs,
The pictures will not open on my internet phone, so I cannot see any of the gems you have.

The square finned engine sounds very different. Never seen a square finned engine except perhaps a car glow engine ?

Weston's do diesel but no caster in any of Thier fuels.

Model technics now under new management do a d1000, good stuff.

Check wheelspin models if your shop cannot help.

You will be like a kid in a sweet shop in your local shop.

No local model shops in my area sadly, all mail order.

Enjoy.
Coxfledgling
Coxfledgling
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  LostServoScrew Tue Feb 22, 2022 7:08 pm

That shop is brilliant, hidden away in a housing estate, it's basically his very large garage converted.
He has no internet presence, not even email!
You pretty well have to know about it, then visit (Thursday to Saturday only).
I'm actually quite happy to have an excuse to go and experience it again, I'm tempted to not ring ahead and check he has diesel fuel Smile
http://cdmfc.org/archives/Sep15/html/spire_models.html
LostServoScrew
LostServoScrew
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Coxfledgling Wed Feb 23, 2022 1:01 am

Hi LSS,
Pictures open today, midnight oil burnt probably.

Nice little collection. Not seen the square finned engine before.

I have an AM but not a 4 screw one.

You know of sceptre flight, a web site for engines, a usefull resource.

I find that UK petrol frees off castergum quite well, in fact the am has been soaking over night to remove the vast majority of its gum. I have removed the back plate and cylinder/piston assembly but will probably not remove the crank has its very free after its initial clean.

Any remaining gum can be cleaned out with petrol and a good paint brush with a final spray out with a carb cleaner aerosol.

During the day it will be well lubed, reassembled and run up, rich for one tank, then weaker for a further tank and final run up leaner but not "on song". Relubed, bagged and stored awaiting a period model cl.

Not sure on its cc but it has a conical piston.

Hope you get some d1000, heavenly smelling stuff.

Enjoy...
Coxfledgling
Coxfledgling
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Wed Feb 23, 2022 9:34 am

LostServoScrew wrote:Thanks Marleysky, really nice of you to make the effort, and very helpful, much appreciated.

Well Hey, that's what we're here for.  Billy flyer added a note to the source for fuels, but it seems CoxFledgling has some also.
Could anyone help me Identify these diesels? Scree142

OOOHHH< I just looked at the Spires linc...That's really nice. Affraid or WOW!
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  LostServoScrew Wed Feb 23, 2022 9:45 am

I have friends near Tonbridge, I might ask someone to pop over there to collect then post it on to me....
I suspect Spire Models might have stopped trading Sad I'll give them a ring and see.
I joined that FB group and posted on the topic, but it's waiting for an Admin to approve it still!
LostServoScrew
LostServoScrew
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Coxfledgling Wed Feb 23, 2022 12:56 pm

Post fuel ????

If post office find out it's fuel, well.......

Posting lipos is a no no no as well.

It/they can be couriered....
Coxfledgling
Coxfledgling
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ffkiwi Wed Feb 23, 2022 5:55 pm

As one of the relatively few diesel experts here-what lostservoscrew has in the original pic-are the following: left column: an Allbon Javelin 1.5cc diesel-these preceded the DC Sabre, and were an adaptation-a very successful adaptation mind you, of the less than stellar Allbon Arrow 1.5cc glow of 1949. Originally made by Allbon Engineering in 1950, production later taken over by Davies Charlton-production superseded by the Allbon Sabre in 1955. The box lid indicates a MkII model-which would be a DC made one (the same thing happened to the Allbon Dart-the designation as changed to 'Mk II' when DC took over production. If on receiving the engine you find it has a visible gudgeon pin, then this confirms it as a MkII (the Mk 1 used an internal gudgeon pin carrier, so no pin hole in the piston skirt) Below this is an AM 25 2.5cc-again the Mk2 version with four head screws-in production a long time...even into the late 70s (briefly, under a new manufacturer)

Centre row, top is an ED Bee Mk1 1cc-but fitted with an incorrect spinner -the diameter is too large. This could date anywhere from 1949 to 1955. Next down is the Cox QRC as already ID'd by others. Third down is a rather sad looking ED Bee Mk2 1cc-which has been rather abused by past owners-the exhaust port has been cut back, and the intake trimmed back as well. This will not be any earlier than 1955 and no later than about 1961. Bottom centre is the already ID'd Pfeffer 0.6cc from the Czech Republic-in low level intermittent production for many many years-and found in various colours-black, red, pink, blue-and I think I've once seen green as well....minor differences over the years-some have open exhausts, some small mufflers-like the one shown, and some are ballraced-though yours is definitely a plain bearing model. The mufflers are actually a right nuisance-they make it almost impossible to exhaust prime the engine, and these engines are particularly quiet anyway. More of an affectation than useful-but I suppose the manufacturer thought his sales would be better if the engine came 'with mufflers'. There is no way-to my knowledge of accurately dating these-though your one is certainly a 'later' one.

The two ED bees can be accurately dated by their serial numbers-but I'll leave that for another post-and in anycase I can't date them till you tell us the serial numbers...

ChrisM
'ffkiwi'
ffkiwi
ffkiwi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down