Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

My Mazda RX-7GSL-SE build log with the occasional balsa inclusion - Page 2 Cox_ba12

My Mazda RX-7GSL-SE build log with the occasional balsa inclusion - Page 2 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Stealth SB-X
by Admin Yesterday at 8:28 pm

» ST .35 STUNT / VOODOO / ZERO POINT ZERO NITRO
by TD ABUSER Yesterday at 7:45 pm

» SUPERTIGER .15 PROJECT
by TD ABUSER Yesterday at 7:42 pm

» For sale -- Cox Custom Carburetors for Tee Dee engines
by sosam117 Yesterday at 5:23 pm

» WHERE ARE YOU BUYING YOUR FUEL AND GLOW PLUGS...?
by TD ABUSER Yesterday at 4:35 pm

» Waiting for Engines from Ken Enya
by sosam117 Yesterday at 4:33 pm

» Unusual Cox 049 cylinder - Need help identifying
by anm2 Yesterday at 4:12 pm

» Jim Walker Bonanza etc.
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 2:57 pm

» What's the Best Reed for Cox Reed Valve Engines.
by roddie Yesterday at 1:37 pm

» Fuel choice
by 1975 control line guy Fri Aug 30, 2024 4:01 pm

» "Fall S.M.A.L.L." Video 3.
by GallopingGhostler Fri Aug 30, 2024 2:37 pm

» Gifted Fox
by Ken Cook Fri Aug 30, 2024 11:12 am

Cox Engine of The Month
August-2024
balogh's

"Cox TD09 R/C Beast of Burden featuring Kamtechnik head and DIY metallic fuel nipple"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

My Mazda RX-7GSL-SE build log with the occasional balsa inclusion - Page 2 Empty
Live on Patrol

My Mazda RX-7GSL-SE build log with the occasional balsa inclusion

Page 2 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

My Mazda RX-7GSL-SE build log with the occasional balsa inclusion - Page 2 Empty Re: My Mazda RX-7GSL-SE build log with the occasional balsa inclusion

Post  GallopingGhostler Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:40 pm

cstatman wrote:couldnt resist, had to google it. Soul Red Crystal - which sounds like it may be a bit more than I bargained for (like the ex-wives)   may remove whats left of my soul? but sure is pretty

https://insidemazda.mazdausa.com/the-mazda-way/design/soul-red-crystal/
Interesting article, @cstatman, speaking of red, my father's 1970 Mazda 1200 4 door sedan was red, seems to be a very common color with Japanese cars then. It wasn't as pretty as the metallic red of the more expensive vehicles, but a deep solid red nonetheless. It came with at 64 HP 4 banger with 3 speed Borg Warner automatic transmission. It wasn't much on acceleration with such low HP, basically was a commuter vehicle, engine buzzed at 65 mph, fine for roads on Oahu where Honolulu is. Felt cramp with 4 adults inside. Couldn't find the 4 door, so here is what it looked like in 2 door.

My Mazda RX-7GSL-SE build log with the occasional balsa inclusion - Page 2 1971-110

Being a baseline model, interior vinyl was very thin, even the engine filler cap was like a thermos bottle plug. The 2 door plushed up a bit with a rotary engine was called the R100. With such a light car, it really sailed through traffic from what I heard, even beat out some of the US made muscle cars in traffic.

Added new meaning to being smoked by rice. lol!

But, the red, candy apple like metallic made the upper crust vehicles really shine.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

My Mazda RX-7GSL-SE build log with the occasional balsa inclusion - Page 2 Empty Re: My Mazda RX-7GSL-SE build log with the occasional balsa inclusion

Post  rsv1cox Wed Dec 07, 2022 12:52 pm

NEW222 wrote:First, I loved the photo timeline. One that really stood out was painting the Mustang. Painting it outside, painting it right beside what appears to be a very light colored house..... And the fact it is a deep red! That takes guts, or a lot of permission..... Lol.

Hopefully you can get the pump all cleaned up and get the new addition fired up!

Mark found that picture on the Mustang forum sometime ago. I think that someone picked it up from the MG forum where I had posted it when I painted my MG.  Since then it has made the rounds according to Mark of many automotive related forums.  Mark says it has got a record amount of likes.  But there are comments about the white house.  My house, and I can attest that the house did not get fogged red.  Smile.  Aerosol lacquer dries very quickly.

I did get the fuel pump disassembled and somewhat cleaned.  Got to get a couple of jars, some gas and a battery and check it out.  Yeah, watch out for sparks.  

My Mazda RX-7GSL-SE build log with the occasional balsa inclusion - Page 2 P1014706
My Mazda RX-7GSL-SE build log with the occasional balsa inclusion - Page 2 P1014707

Edit add:

Forget the fuel pump, put 12 volts across it and no workie.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Wed Dec 07, 2022 7:02 pm

rsv1cox wrote:Forget the fuel pump, put 12 volts across it and no workie.

Uh oh. That is definately not good.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:17 am

I worked up the courage to spin the starter this morning. Fresh oil, plugs out.  After the locked up fuel pump I had my doubts.  But, spin she did, a couple of times 2-4 seconds.  Breathed a sigh of relief.  

Waiting for a new fuel pump and fuel filter to get it started I did a little disassembly.

My Mazda RX-7GSL-SE build log with the occasional balsa inclusion - Page 2 P1014711

Live rear axle, trailing arm suspension with coils and shocks. My Mg's all had leaf springs.

My Mazda RX-7GSL-SE build log with the occasional balsa inclusion - Page 2 P1014710
My Mazda RX-7GSL-SE build log with the occasional balsa inclusion - Page 2 P1014709

Ya gotta stop as well as go!!!
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:56 pm

1972-1974 was the only years for the round wheel arch on Midgets. I have owned a 72 and a 74. I don’t know why they went back to it in 75 as the rounded arch looks so much better in my opinion. Other differences from 74-77 is the obvious rubber bumpers and the increase in ride height to meet federal bumper regulations. 1974.5 was the beginning of the end for LBC’s

Bob, have you driven a rotary powered car?
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Dec 08, 2022 1:23 pm

Cribbs74 wrote:1972-1974 was the only years for the round wheel arch on Midgets. I have owned a 72 and a 74. I don’t know why they went back to it in 75 as the rounded arch looks so much better in my opinion. Other differences from 74-77 is the obvious rubber bumpers and the increase in ride height to meet federal bumper regulations. 1974.5 was the beginning of the end for LBC’s

Bob, have you driven a rotary powered car?

Two of them.  One mentioned here on pg. 1. Pictured with my son's '86.

First was a new 1985 GSL-SE.  New off the showroom floor I never had the chance to do any maintenance on it other than routine before I sold it.  The second one I didn't keep very long, so I'm learning maintenance on them as I go.  

My Mazda RX-7GSL-SE build log with the occasional balsa inclusion - Page 2 Scan_154
My Mazda RX-7GSL-SE build log with the occasional balsa inclusion - Page 2 Scan_155

Agreed on the rounded wheel arches. One reason why they bring more than the later models.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rdw777 Thu Dec 08, 2022 5:43 pm

Glad it turned over for you Bob Clapping ….. I don’t know much about rotary but I hope those seals you mentioned are in good shape….. I bet you already know what that looks like if you have to dig deeper…. Plus I would imagine this car has a good following for parts and etc…

In the mid ‘80s I had a 74 Mustang with a locked engine…. The one that was cousin to the Pinto….Had a little V-6 in it… It had been parked about three years due to a bad starter…. I needed it to run again so got a starter but no bueno….. Pulled it with the tractor in front of the house…. Manual transmission…. It would just slide the tires thru all four gears….I emptied a can of WD 40 thru the plug holes and still no go after soaking several days…. Finally I pulled enough stuff off the front of the engine to get to the harmonic balancer…. I was gonna turned it over or break it….36” pipe wrench did the job….. I know you’re not supposed to do this because of the rubber in the HB…. But needed the vehicle soon…. Drove it for five years then traded for the Z
rdw777
rdw777
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Fri Dec 09, 2022 7:29 am

spun over > Thats a Good sign to start with after setting all this time (least its not gummed up ) lol!

getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:58 pm

You are on the way to getting it to purrrrr. I like it.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Dec 10, 2022 8:02 am

NEW222 wrote:You are on the way to getting it to purrrrr. I like it.

Thanks Chancey.  It was auctioned as a "Garage find", might have been but I know it spent years sitting outside, too many leaves and debris in the bodies channels.  Sun damage to the rear hatch area also.  A shame that these speciality cars are left to rot, but I caught this one just in time.  The body and most of the interior is in great shape.  

Which leads me to this:

My Mazda RX-7GSL-SE build log with the occasional balsa inclusion - Page 2 1935_p11

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAK4u98XiHo

I don't expect that many will watch the whole video, but it's a lobster dinner for me.  I eat these up.  But, for all the experts working on this I see no referance of them draining and replacing the oil first, a disturbing trend in these videos.  The first thing I did in my RX-7 was drop the black crankcase oil and replace it with fresh. I have to think that they did, but no mention of it was made.  Restoration 101.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Sat Dec 10, 2022 8:50 am

Video was done for people's entertainment, to get as many favorable comments as possible, so they skipped mundane details, would be my guess. You are right though, the first priority would be to drain the old oil, may be replace with a high detergent oil mix with a certain amount of penetration, but safe for any oil seals. Get the old oil out first, so oil galleries would be filled with new stuff immediately. After let it soak and crank (first get it to gently break free).

Looks like he cleaned it up so it could be sold for rebuilding by another. Otherwise, they would have not gone to the trouble to detail the exterior and interior (waste of labor). Just clean and sterilize (without the detailing, then remake interior upholstery, sand, grind, fill, repaint exterior and interior.

Basically cutting to the chase, their first priority was to clean the rodent feces and mildew/fungus. (Possibility of Hanta Virus in mice required sterilization and respirator mask, possibility of histoplasmosis (fungal disease from breathing the dust from mold and possibly in rodent feces (especially if wet) containing a particular fungus, in advanced stages resembles tuberculosis in humans requiring strong anti-fungal medication intravenously - nasty), again requires respirators and thorough cleaning.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/histoplasmosis/symptoms-causes/syc-20373495 makes for an interesting read.

Also,

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/hantavirus-pulmonary-syndrome/symptoms-causes/syc-20351838

So you are right Bob, they did skip a few details, but the video was mainly for entertainment and for advertising their business. Also, old oil is considered a hazardous waste whereas the cleaning wasn't, my first impressions were that they probably wanted to exclude any possibility of government intervention / investigation by simply not attracting attention.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Dec 10, 2022 12:51 pm

I remember a few years ago when the Hanta virus was big in your area.  Never seemed to transition out here though.  We have tick borne Lime diease.  

I have cleaned up some mighty bad automobiles (and model engines) in the past and taken few precautions.  But recently I have started to use protective nose and hand gear.  Locking the barn door after the horse has been stolen.  Still more often than not I go unprotected.  You need to feel these things and for me living in a bubble is not the answer.  

If you knew my history, you would never know it.  I'm a clean freak, always have been ever since I was a child.  My house is kept spotless, my fruits and vegtables are washed before use, and I shower twice a day when I'm involved in these projects.  Even the door knobs leading from the garage are wiped off.  Adds to the time it takes to finish these activities.  My perchant for taking something that is nothing and making something of it over-rules all.  

This ones start.

The picture that Mark happened to send me on his trip to South Carolina.  "Look Dad, a GSL-SE like the one you used to have."  

My Mazda RX-7GSL-SE build log with the occasional balsa inclusion - Page 2 Rx-7_f10

Seed planted.  All it took to get the juices flowing again.  Now I have interiors, shock absorbers, red brake flex hoses, new U-joints, preformance tires, paint job, etc etc. floating in my head.

Still, it gets nasty.  Very nasty. This morning!

My Mazda RX-7GSL-SE build log with the occasional balsa inclusion - Page 2 P1014718
My Mazda RX-7GSL-SE build log with the occasional balsa inclusion - Page 2 P1014720
My Mazda RX-7GSL-SE build log with the occasional balsa inclusion - Page 2 P1014719

True motorheads will notice the vented rotors. Mazda didn't mess around even with this cheap little go-cart.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Sat Dec 10, 2022 5:26 pm

rsv1cox wrote:I remember a few years ago when the Hanta virus was big in your area.  Never seemed to transition out here though. We have tick borne Lime diease.
That was when I was working in facilities management 4th of July Flag for the U.S. Public Health Service on the Navajo Reservation in the late 1990's. Our sanitarians Football Play were capturing field mice, Fishing mostly deer mice, Rudolph and shipping their heads Pumpkin in dry ice Cold express to CDC in Georgia. They also did data analysis eBay of mysterious unexplained deaths Shh with like symptoms in other states as far as you are, and found there was a very good possibility that the disease was wide spread through the midwest and central US extending into Canada. Canada

The virus is delicate and short lived, cannot survive outside the animals bodies for long, sunlight kills it. Hot Seems people in intimate contact through the urine and feces of the mice were the ones succumbing to it. Warm Those living rural in cabins sometimes unoccupied for example, were most affected. Santa

Solution was simple. Air out the area first, don't stir up dust, then spray with 10:1 water to bleach solution, wipe and toss the paper towels into a bag. Seal and throw away. If you caught the disease, you had 50:50 chance to survive. Shocked They put your body into an induced coma with breathing apparatus. After several days you survived, they slowly brought you out of the coma. Cool If you didn't survive, they'd disconnect the respirator and place you in a body bag. Sad

It is interesting how you no longer hear about it any more after 20 years. Sad Goodbye However, I have played it safe when I encountered evidence of mice. Smile Air out the area. Don't stir up dust. Make sure all is dry. Vacuum with a HEPA filter, spray, wipe down with disinfectant. Better safe than sorry. Surprised

Regarding histoplasmosis, caused by the Histoplasma Capsulatum fungus, I was tasked to develop a project to mitigate substantial pigeon habitation droppings in base buildings and hangars 17 years ago. One of the buildings, roof air conditioning equipment was removed off a 2nd story mezanine, mezanine was roofed over, but no one bothered to cover up the block wall openings in this 550 sq. ft. area. With roof overhead, became the roost for about 400 homing pigeons for over a decade, in places manure was almost 8 inches thick. Smell reminded me of my days working on a poultry farm in high school. Complaint was escalated with complaints of smell and investigation. Why it was never taken care of? I guess its one of those, "out of sight, out of mind" deals. Not many go up on the roof and the ventilated block walls hid the sight, until it precipitated into a bigger problem.

Research led me to an article on the disease, most prevalent with bat feces but could be in other animal feces if kept in a moist condition in sufficient quantities. Worker protection was necessary to mitigate possibility of health problems. We had an asbestos abater firm dress up in their bunny suits and respirators, put interior of room adjacent on positive air pressure (door opened onto the mezzanine), then bag up and haul away the manure, 2 day job.

The job was so successful (I got all sorts of comments about doing a sh***y job) Reading  Doh!  lol! that contracting used my spec's on other buildings.

Younger, if we came down with the disease, it would be like having a bad cold or flu for several days. Hot We get well and never know what hit us. drunken Now that we are older, it is just good hip pocket info so that we don't get ourselves into trouble with our weaker immune systems. Beer Cheers

rsv1cox wrote:I have cleaned up some mighty bad automobiles (and model engines) in the past and taken few precautions.  But recently I have started to use protective nose and hand gear.  Locking the barn door after the horse has been stolen.  Still more often than not I go unprotected.  You need to feel these things and for me living in a bubble is not the answer.

If you knew my history, you would never know it.  I'm a clean freak, always have been ever since I was a child.  My house is kept spotless, my fruits and vegetables are washed before use, and I shower twice a day when I'm involved in these projects.  Even the door knobs leading from the garage are wiped off.  Adds to the time it takes to finish these activities.  My penchant for taking something that is nothing and making something of it over-rules all.

Bob, sounds like more or less you were already checking most of the boxes I had mentioned. Very Happy Having worked around these situations have made me more aware, and again just good hip pocket info so we don't get ourselves in a worse bind. Very Happy
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Dec 10, 2022 6:54 pm

One more similarity George..........

Smell reminded me of my days working on a poultry farm in high school

As I have mentioned here before I worked on a poultry farm for all of my high school years. Kept me in cars, girls, and guns. 20 hour days when teenager sleep was required. Took the Navy and a great wife to put an end to it. I joined up to get some rest. Smile
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Sat Dec 10, 2022 9:01 pm

GallopingGhostler wrote:
Regarding histoplasmosis, caused by the Histoplasma Capsulatum fungus, I was tasked to develop a project to mitigate substantial pigeon habitation droppings in base buildings and hangars 17 years ago.

Hadn't heard or thought about histo for several years now.  I grew up, and still live, in an area with a high incidence of infection -- 80 to 90% by some estimates.  I have several calcified lesions in my lungs, but never knew I had it until a doctor pointed them out in a chest X-ray.  His comment, "Those are histoplasmosis scars, nothing to worry about."  And, I haven't!!
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Sat Dec 10, 2022 10:16 pm

rsv1cox wrote:One more similarity George.......... Smell reminded me of my days working on a poultry farm in high school. As I have mentioned here before I worked on a poultry farm for all of my high school years.  Kept me in cars, girls, and guns.  20 hour days when teenager sleep was required.  Took the Navy and a great wife to put an end to it.  I joined up to get some rest.  Smile
Yup, I can associate with that. I was able to buy all my clothing, even a used car. Wasn't as big on the dating scene (my father was a school teacher at my high school.) What? But, used the time an hour before and after school to practice my clarinet in the school's band room. When all my friends were joining the military services, I asked the Army recruiter (still remember his name, Hawaiian Staff Sergeant Agpava) about band. He took me to the 264th Army Band, Fort Shafter, Honolulu, Hawaii. I auditioned with them, passed the audition, and 3 weeks later was on my way to Basic Combat Training as a 02J Clarinet Player. Got out after 3 years, went to college on GI Bill. Graduated 1981, started working in aerospace in California 1982. Got married in 1985, still married to the same these 37 years.

andrew wrote:
GallopingGhostler wrote:Regarding histoplasmosis, caused by the Histoplasma Capsulatum fungus, I was tasked to develop a project to mitigate substantial pigeon habitation droppings in base buildings and hangars 17 years ago.
Hadn't heard or thought about histo for several years now.  I grew up, and still live, in an area with a high incidence of infection -- 80 to 90% by some estimates.  I have several calcified lesions in my lungs, but never knew I had it until a doctor pointed them out in a chest X-ray.  His comment, "Those are histoplasmosis scars, nothing to worry about."  And, I haven't!!
Andrew, seems you were fortunate. What I heard was in the advanced stages, the disease resembles tuberculosis. Requires a very strong anti-fungal medication taken intravenously, which I imagine could be painful as well.

We are less likely out here to get it unless one lives on a dairy farm or feed lot with their manure tainted ponds and wet manure piles. As you point out, it can leave lasting evidence. Good thing for all of us to be aware of and on the look out for, as it could be hard on us seniors.

But we all have scars. I have a 4 inch scar along my lower spinal column from some rather hefty back surgery six months ago. But, now I can walk without pain and limping. Over past 2 weeks, I did 16 hours at 4 hours per day bell ringing on my alto sax in front of one of the major stores for the Salvation Army recently. Before, I needed a chair for past several years to do in, could only stand for 20 minutes or less without support.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  cstatman Sun Dec 11, 2022 2:55 pm

GallopingGhostler wrote:Video was done for people's entertainment,.

whole genres of this on youTube

my favorite (yes, every so often, I waste time watching others)
IS "Vice Grip Garage"
this fellow goes out, buys junk, makes it run and drives it home --- usually

he just did a '35 ford, one of my favorite trucks ever. and shows the dirty, the ugly, and making them run
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-jWNsxOcbo

watching RSV Bob's activities here? convince me to turn OFF YouTube, get my but in the garage, and work on motors, planes, boxes, motorcycles, etc
cstatman
cstatman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun Dec 11, 2022 3:27 pm

"watching RSV Bob's activities here? convince me to turn OFF YouTube, get my but in the garage, and work on motors, planes, boxes, motorcycles, etc"

Then my mission here is complete.  Smile

Just hit one of the calipers with the air tool.  

My Mazda RX-7GSL-SE build log with the occasional balsa inclusion - Page 2 P1014731

I might decide to do them myself after all and save a couple of hundred.

Did the ones on my MG.  A dirty messy job that I don't recommend.

My Mazda RX-7GSL-SE build log with the occasional balsa inclusion - Page 2 Midget41
My Mazda RX-7GSL-SE build log with the occasional balsa inclusion - Page 2 Midget42
My Mazda RX-7GSL-SE build log with the occasional balsa inclusion - Page 2 Midget43

My Mazda RX-7GSL-SE build log with the occasional balsa inclusion - Page 2 Calipe10

This morning, ran the starter again, got oil pressure.  Removed the fuel filter and the fuel tank shield.  Not pretty.

My Mazda RX-7GSL-SE build log with the occasional balsa inclusion - Page 2 P1014733
My Mazda RX-7GSL-SE build log with the occasional balsa inclusion - Page 2 P1014732
My Mazda RX-7GSL-SE build log with the occasional balsa inclusion - Page 2 P1014734
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Mon Dec 12, 2022 7:30 am

Getting ready to detail the underside. The live rear axle is a mess.

My Mazda RX-7GSL-SE build log with the occasional balsa inclusion - Page 2 P1014736

Been there on my MG. Not pleasent but do-able.

My Mazda RX-7GSL-SE build log with the occasional balsa inclusion - Page 2 Midget46
My Mazda RX-7GSL-SE build log with the occasional balsa inclusion - Page 2 Midget45
My Mazda RX-7GSL-SE build log with the occasional balsa inclusion - Page 2 Midget44
My Mazda RX-7GSL-SE build log with the occasional balsa inclusion - Page 2 Midget47
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rdw777 Mon Dec 12, 2022 4:32 pm

I am amazed at your energy Bob…. That’s not easy stuff your doing!!! Plus rebuilding model Wankels!…. Well, good for you Very Happy …. I’m enjoying your car work and the engines!!

My Z had an independent rear end ….You could have your foot on the brake and touch the gas and the back end would drop a couple inches…. Must have looked strange to cars behind while stopped at a light lol!
rdw777
rdw777
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed Dec 21, 2022 8:43 am

Wild progress????  

With a sore back, electrical outages, and a really cold garage I'm not making much headway.  Bought a new battery in Walmart, removed the solenoid for the fuel cover door opener and got that working.  This morning I cleaned the rusty keeper on the wire wheel and painted it.  That's it for 10 days.

My Mazda RX-7GSL-SE build log with the occasional balsa inclusion - Page 2 P1014788
My Mazda RX-7GSL-SE build log with the occasional balsa inclusion - Page 2 P1014789
My Mazda RX-7GSL-SE build log with the occasional balsa inclusion - Page 2 P1014790

But the previous owner left a trail.

When I removed the interior trim to get to the solenoid I noticed a lot of broken glass, thought it looked funny but thought no more about it.

My Mazda RX-7GSL-SE build log with the occasional balsa inclusion - Page 2 P1014792

Then when reading the manual he included with the car I noticed this.

My Mazda RX-7GSL-SE build log with the occasional balsa inclusion - Page 2 P1014791

Somehow someone broke the side glass for the hatch.  Hard to do.  Car was titled in a womans name Betty Jen...... which for some reason I connected with Betty Rubble of "The Flintstones" fame.

My Mazda RX-7GSL-SE build log with the occasional balsa inclusion - Page 2 Betty_10

Maybe husband or boyfriend was the culprit.  

rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Jan 07, 2023 3:37 pm

Still at it.  Finished the rear calipers today.  Pads and rotors are in the mail.

My Mazda RX-7GSL-SE build log with the occasional balsa inclusion - Page 2 P1014853
My Mazda RX-7GSL-SE build log with the occasional balsa inclusion - Page 2 P1014851
My Mazda RX-7GSL-SE build log with the occasional balsa inclusion - Page 2 P1014852
My Mazda RX-7GSL-SE build log with the occasional balsa inclusion - Page 2 P1014854
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Sat Jan 07, 2023 4:22 pm

Bob -
I am in awe and marvel at the amount of "heavy" work you're able to accomplish in such a short time and do it so well. My hat's off to you!!
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Sat Jan 07, 2023 6:58 pm

rsv1cox wrote:Somehow someone broke the side glass for the hatch.  Hard to do.  Car was titled in a womans name Betty Jen...... which for some reason I connected with Betty Rubble of "The Flintstones" fame.

My Mazda RX-7GSL-SE build log with the occasional balsa inclusion - Page 2 Betty_10

Maybe husband or boyfriend was the culprit. 
I think not, it was their insatiable appetite:

My Mazda RX-7GSL-SE build log with the occasional balsa inclusion - Page 2 2023-018

lol!
rsv1cox wrote:Still at it.  Finished the rear calipers today. [...]
My Mazda RX-7GSL-SE build log with the occasional balsa inclusion - Page 2 P1014854
Nice job. Thumbs Up Interesting, calipers show the Mitsubishi Corp. logo, probably made them under contract to Mazda. You bead blasted the rust off, then used a high temperature silver paint? Just curious what type paint.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Sat Jan 07, 2023 11:41 pm

GallopingGhostler wrote:Interesting, calipers show the Mitsubishi Corp. logo, probably made them under contract to Mazda.

Actually that's the Akebono brand symbol, not Mitsubishi, which has the three diamonds, not triangles as shown.  Common brand used on many Japanese makes.

Last edited by Oldenginerod on Sun Jan 08, 2023 2:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next