Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

A day in the life - actually just this morning.   Cox_ba12

A day in the life - actually just this morning.   Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Tired of it all…
by batjac Today at 3:06 am

» Three -- sold out (making two more) Cox .010 Carburetors with wrench
by balogh Today at 12:34 am

» Joe Wagners Sioux
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 9:03 pm

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 6:26 pm

» Happy Anzac Day!
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 4:16 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 12:27 pm

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:14 am

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Yesterday at 7:31 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 3:16 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:20 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:25 pm

» Micro Draco Gets to Fly on a Beautiful Morning.
by rdw777 Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:15 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

A day in the life - actually just this morning.   Empty
Live on Patrol

A day in the life - actually just this morning.

Go down

A day in the life - actually just this morning.   Empty A day in the life - actually just this morning.

Post  rsv1cox Mon Jun 26, 2023 3:54 pm

A day in the life - actually just this morning.   P1015602
A day in the life - actually just this morning.   P1015604

The "field" in the background.  Only place around big enough to fly C/L.

A day in the life - actually just this morning.   P1015603
A day in the life - actually just this morning.   P1015607

Electric light company trying to clear brush from around the pole and the culvert left me with a mess.  I have removed five cart loads  full of brush out from there.  
A day in the life - actually just this morning.   P1015606

It gets nasty out there.  A little blood on the pocket is pretty routine.  Smile

A day in the life - actually just this morning.   P1015605

And before I did that...........Opened the cabinet in the garage and overnight this happened.  Castor goo or something on steriods.  I have no idea how it happenned or where it came from.  Nothing on top of the cabinet and no aerosol can was compromised.  I thought soap and water would clean it up. No.  Tried Simple Green, then Mineral Spirits,  No help.  Gasoline, same.  Acetone came closest with a lot of work.  It helped with the goo on the extension cord.  The black spot and the dripped goo above the cord are curious.

Finally I scraped most of it off where I could.  Hoping that some of you might have an idea?

A day in the life - actually just this morning.   P1015608
A day in the life - actually just this morning.   P1015610
A day in the life - actually just this morning.   P1015609
A day in the life - actually just this morning.   P1015611
A day in the life - actually just this morning.   P1015612

I thought the can of "Tuff Stuff" was the problem but it still sprays fine and it's not the solvent for it.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

A day in the life - actually just this morning.   Empty Re: A day in the life - actually just this morning.

Post  GallopingGhostler Mon Jun 26, 2023 4:31 pm

Check can and bottle bottoms. Some paints and solvents can etch their way through over time, have tiny pin holes and cracks. I was surprised to see this on a few of my old bottles and cans. One was an autopaint product. They have cheapened on containers versus what we had years ago.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

A day in the life - actually just this morning.   Empty Re: A day in the life - actually just this morning.

Post  rsv1cox Mon Jun 26, 2023 5:22 pm

GallopingGhostler wrote:Check can and bottle bottoms. Some paints and solvents can etch their way through over time, have tiny pin holes and cracks. I was surprised to see this on a few of my old bottles and cans. One was an autopaint product. They have cheapened on containers versus what we had years ago.

Thanks George, could be heat related too, warmed up last night.

Acts like Weldwood contact cement poured on a workbench. Looks to be a combo of aerosol and a liquid. Sticky is to kind a word.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Mon Jun 26, 2023 5:30 pm

No probs, Bob. I'm sure you'll find the culprit.

Hijacked
Why I don't buy "green" household paint thinner? It doesn't store well, degrades over time, sometimes less than one year. The petroleum based product that is getting harder to get, lasts years and years. If I am forced to buy "green", I buy a smaller container (less than 1 gallon).
Back To Topic

lol!
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  crankbndr Mon Jun 26, 2023 8:14 pm

Looks like bear piss to me!!!
crankbndr
crankbndr
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed Jun 28, 2023 7:51 am

crankbndr wrote:Looks like bear piss to me!!!

30/06 Springfield maybe?

A day in the life - actually just this morning.   P1015629

Not letting this mystery die. Arrainged mostly as I found them two mornings ago.

A day in the life - actually just this morning.   P1015631

I cannot figure this out! I removed all the items from this shelf this morning and none of the containers are compromised. Yet, one of them must have sprung an aerosol leak that turned into a river of goo falling all the way to the floor (pictures above). Prime culpret is the Tuff Stuff cleaner but I am unsure of this. It still sprays and is not the solvent for this.

A day in the life - actually just this morning.   P1015632
A day in the life - actually just this morning.   P1015633

Somehow the aerosol spray made it down to the second shelf from the top. Likely impossible.

A day in the life - actually just this morning.   P1015634

Left alone it turns into a hard shiney varnish, but that morning it was a sticky mess.

Any way it gave me the chance to organize and clean up the mess putting back all the things that were in there in the first place.

A day in the life - actually just this morning.   P1015635

Zombies, out of space invaders, Big foot...............or just physics, math, and chemistry at work?
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Jun 28, 2023 11:26 am

Just a couple of days ago, I cleaned out the top drawer of the lower portion of my rolling metal tool cabinet, it had become more of a junk drawer. Everything in that drawer was covered in castor oil, including an airsoft pistol that was in the back of the drawer. Denatured alcohol cleaned much of it up. For awhile, I used that tool cabinet as a rolling engine test stand, so that explains where the oil came from, but it was odd to have everything in the drawer covered with it, especially since I haven't used it as a test stand for over a decade.

Admin
Admin
Administrator

http://sites.google.com/site/coxenginecollection/

Back to top Go down

Post  rdw777 Wed Jun 28, 2023 1:29 pm

Bob, I noticed you had yard type chemicals? Some with trigger pumps on the bottles?…. It may be that the heating/cooling cycle in your garage caused one of them to pressure up enough to want to vent?…. You might take any that might be suspect and apply some to a test location and see if you get the same result-mess…. Just a guess…
rdw777
rdw777
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed Jun 28, 2023 3:56 pm

Zombies Jacob, Zombies.  Smile

and Robert, just water in those spray bottles that are not Windex.  Raid a possibility venting off, but it has a distinctive stink and it's residue does not harden into varnish.  Boxed headlight restorers are not a suspect.  Bugs me, but everything is the same, all the same stuff that was on that shelf is back in there...........if it happens again.  

If it wasn't just so darned strange.  Perfect aerosol circles and a puddle of goo.  

And if a bear can raise a leg and get through that door.............Smile Glad it was closed as my Honda and RX-7 are inches away.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Wed Jun 28, 2023 4:25 pm

Bob, no victimization of cans involved. I think I found the guilty party. Laughing

A day in the life - actually just this morning.   2023-131

All cans are innocent until proven guilty in a court of their peers. lol!
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed Jun 28, 2023 5:18 pm

My thoughts too George and the best option as it alignes with the black spot and drip on the inside of the door. (above). Might have vented through the base until equalized. Could be just the propellent and not the ingredient. But, the can still expels the cleaner and works fine. I remember awhile back they replaced the propellent with a more enviromently friendly CFC, but this a a pretty new can. I have another just like it unused.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Wed Jun 28, 2023 5:24 pm

Bob, if there is a flaw in the bottom crimp may account for the seep. Looks like you may have lost 2 tablespoons max but no or little propellant, which might explain why the can still works. I might move it indoors where temperatures are milder may be the cure. Put a dish or expendable plastic nut can lid top under it to catch if seeps.

Doubt if the propellant, because usually the propellant being a gas floats on top the liquid to be dispersed. In a bottom leak, once you lost all the spray content, then would start losing propellant.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed Jun 28, 2023 6:28 pm

My solution George, both new and used cans of Tuff Stuff in a plastic bag loosely tied at the top.  

A day in the life - actually just this morning.   P1015636
A day in the life - actually just this morning.   P1015637

Rusty? blown out spot?

A day in the life - actually just this morning.   Spot10

Cool yesterday and today but heating up over the weekend.  Doubt if either will pop though.  May be a once in a life-time occurance.  I'm still thinking Zombies......Smile

Tempest in a tea pot? Over done? Blown out of proportion? Smile
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Wed Jun 28, 2023 8:15 pm

Doesn't take much for a pressurized can to seep. Bottom is rusty, I suspect a small pin hole. The interior contents may have a corrosive nature with the steel in the can. If can is over a couple years old may explain the rust.

Could sit the can on a paper towel or newspaper. If there's a seep, it should evidence itself right away.

But regarding teapot and tempest, I have ways of approaching things and you have yours. After all, you brought the issue to light, asking. So, I was just trying to help. Huh...

Carry on. Tired w/ Coffee Read Old Bugger Stereo I Love This Forum!
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Jun 29, 2023 6:25 am

Tempest in a tea pot? Over done? Blown out of proportion?

I was referring to me George, making a big deal out of a little one.  My tendency.  Smile

Missed out on this yesterday. Over bid by a sniper. Thought it very early with the irregular ser number stamping.

A day in the life - actually just this morning.   Fuji_i10

rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  crankbndr Thu Jun 29, 2023 4:25 pm

In the early 80s I carried a can of Fix-a-flat in the trunk of my 63 Impala Super Sport with factory air (very rare car).
It should have been called the devils sticky snot cause it blew in my trunk in S. Fla. summer. It was permanent.
(wish I had that car now, it was a beauty. And the last good Chevy I owned)
crankbndr
crankbndr
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Thu Jun 29, 2023 5:09 pm

rsv1cox wrote:Tempest in a tea pot? Over done? Blown out of proportion? I was referring to me George, making a big deal out of a little one.  My tendency.  Smile
Bob, understatement, it is BOTH our tendencies. lol!  We're starting to resemble these two characters:  Razz

A day in the life - actually just this morning.   Grumpy10
From The Muppets Show.
rsv1cox wrote:Missed out on this yesterday.  Over bid by a sniper.  Thought it very early with the irregular ser number stamping.
A day in the life - actually just this morning.   Fuji_i10
That's a nice one, Bob, a rare find. Who knows, with a sharp eye and another to shoot a link when another comes up, you'll bring one home. Fishing
crankbndr wrote:In the early 80s I carried a can of Fix-a-flat in the trunk of my 63 Impala Super Sport with factory air (very rare car). It should have been called the devils sticky snot cause it blew in my trunk in  S. Fla. summer. It was permanent. (wish I had that car now, it was a beauty. And the last good Chevy I owned)
I had success with slime. One time got tired of all the work to remove the rear tire from my 1987 Suzuki LS650 Savage, to patch a nail puncture. It was a Kenda Challenger high mileage, hard rubber, rain traction-less budget tire. (With that wide ratio 4 speed (later models with 5 speed in 5th only 300 rpm less Doh! ), in rain, I could scratch in 3rd gear on limestone paved roads. Shocked)

I shot some snot into the inner tube, inflated, then ran it another couple thousand miles until well worn. Replaced that 140x80-15 with a Pirelli 130x90-15. (Tire was supposedly slightly narrower, but once mounted, seemed about the same, 140x80-15 is an odd size.) The Pirelli was a good rain tire.

Last edited by GallopingGhostler on Thu Jun 29, 2023 5:18 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Fix quote format.)
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Jun 29, 2023 5:12 pm

crankbndr wrote:In the early 80s I carried a can of Fix-a-flat in the trunk of my 63 Impala Super Sport with factory air (very rare car).
It should have been called the devils sticky snot cause it blew in my trunk in  S. Fla. summer. It was permanent.
(wish I had that car now, it was a beauty. And the last good Chevy I owned)

I loved the 63 Chevy, such a nice clean design after the wild '59

A day in the life - actually just this morning.   16608510
A day in the life - actually just this morning.   59_che10

'59 was the year of my Corvette and I thought seriously about getting one to restore.  But the '63 won my heart and still does and I can't explain it.  

My only other Chevrolet was a '52 that I had in Jacksonville Florida.  "Stove bolt" six that ran like a clock and the Fisher body was perhaps,,,,,,,,,,,,no, it was the most solid bodied car I ever owned.  Sold it to a guy that pleaded with me to sell it to him.

Aha, found a picture, mine looked exactly like this one.

A day in the life - actually just this morning.   16782110
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  crankbndr Fri Jun 30, 2023 9:22 am

My 63 looked like this one, minus the dice lol. The SS trim was brushed aluminum outside and dash. Chrome center console with stick and buckets. It was under powered with 283ci and 2 speed auto. Had to put glass packs on the dual exhaust. The factory air had chrome registers in the dash and was actuated by pulling a knob under the dash. The SS wheel covers looked good. It was painted in two tone blue lacquer light blue top and dark body. It was already 22+ years old and body and chrome were perfect. I worked in Key West at the time (got some stories there O boy) and was parked on a pier fishing when a storm blew up and crashing waves soaked my car. When I got back to Homestead I sold it to a guy that drove 500 miles to pick kit up. The one that got away LOL.

A day in the life - actually just this morning.   16608510
crankbndr
crankbndr
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Fri Jun 30, 2023 11:31 am

Where any of the aerosol cans uncapped? I'm thinking that a solvent-based aerosol may have overheated.. and started to spray on the inside and eventually through the hollow cabinet door, "melting" the plastic and causing "it" to drip onto the extension cord-set and back onto the shelf.. and continuing to drip down eventually to the floor. I'll bet that the bottom of your RH cabinet door is melted-through. The solvent would have evaporated.. and what was remaining to clean up may well have been melted plastic from your cabinet..  Two Cents

My recent HW "64" flea-market find.. 

A day in the life - actually just this morning.   Chevy_52
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sat Jul 01, 2023 8:15 am

I had this > 65 Chevy impala SS convertible << A day in the life - actually just this morning.   Scree110 Mine was auto though changed the worn big block for a 283 that was in my 56 Chevy 1/2 ton Mad wish i still had them both.
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Jul 01, 2023 9:49 am

"A day in the life" has actually become more like a week.  Mark showed up yesterday and we really put a hurting on this overgrown area.  Went out this morning and pulled out some of the smaller stumps with the ATV and a strap.  

I would like to say conclusion, but it isn't.  I still have a dead pine tree to remove and grass seed to spread.

Burn pile has overtaken the dirt pile.

A day in the life - actually just this morning.   P1015642

Before

A day in the life - actually just this morning.   P1015646

After

A day in the life - actually just this morning.   P1015644
A day in the life - actually just this morning.   P1015643

But the good news is, the Cub Cadet is built with SAE hardware.  Attached the trailer hitch this morning.  

A day in the life - actually just this morning.   P1015645
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Jul 08, 2023 4:43 pm

My new best friend.

It's been a long time since I have found a tool this useful or effective.  I like it so much I just bought another one.  This one. - Walmart.com.

A day in the life - actually just this morning.   Saker_10

The first one I bought did not have the extra chains, gloves, or eye protection.  

Every branch, small tree, or briar loaded on the bucket of my tractor was cut by it.  4" thick branches present no problem.  Easy to use on a ladder as it's light nad compact.  Love the thing.  Get my son on the new one and we will clear the new lots quickly.  Yet to use the second battery.  Multiply that bucket by four and you have my morning.

A day in the life - actually just this morning.   P1015676
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down